Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

Is there an addictive quality to almonds?

I'm seriously asking this. I eat almonds every day, and when I try to skip it, I can't. I crave the almond. I can't stay away from them. So I'm seriously asking... is there something addictive in almonds?

You might have a magnesium deficiency. Nuts in all varieties can be something that become compulsive for people and often times it is due to being deficient in a vitamin or mineral.

You could have a much worse addiction ;)

• Like 2

Well, there's a lot of nutrition in nuts, so I think it's pretty natural for us to crave them.  But there's also a considerable amount of fat and calories on a per ounce basis.  Are you saying you can't go without eating a handful of almonds a day?  I say, enjoy!  If you're saying you eat handfuls of almonds all throughout the day, that might be a problem...?

Edited by Greta

I think they're also a great source of vitamin E, manganese, copper, and B2.

Are they the most calorically dense food you regularly eat?  That might be why you crave them too.

I think this can happen with almost any kind of food.  Almonds are a really nice fat-protein mix. 

I don't know, but I do crave the dark chocolate covered almonds in the bulk bins. :) I assumed I was craving the chocolate, but maybe it's the almonds.

If you eat the roasted salted kind, yes fat and salt are addictive. If you eat the plain regular ones, I don't know. Eating in general can be addictive.

I buy unsalted raw nuts, and they are more complex in flavor, still very good, but less 'addictive' feeling than the typical roasted salted ones.  Healthier, too, I would say.

I'm seriously asking this. I eat almonds every day, and when I try to skip it, I can't. I crave the almond. I can't stay away from them. So I'm seriously asking... is there something addictive in almonds?

I had the same "problem" with pistachios. They are just so tasty, and they were filling. But then I ate too many and they did a number on my belly. I'm not "addicted" anymore. ;) Funny how that craving went away so quickly...

• Like 1

When I have had nutrition-related cravings, it eventually solves itself. I go from "can't stop eating this" to "yeah, I don't need any of those for a while" like someone flipped a switch. This happened to me with Brazil nuts. I saw some in the store, and I thought they looked yummy. I rarely saw them shelled, so it sounded like a nice treat...then I noticed they literally made me super, super happy when I ate them, then I wanted a handful every day...I looked it up, and realized it was probably a selenium thing. After months of eating a handful per day, I suddenly started feeling averse to them (after I'd figured out a way to get them in bulk to be cost effective, of course). Now I can eat them normally when they cross my path. 

Sometimes the cravings aren't over the top, it's just that a side of x sounds lovely every time I see it, lol! (eggs during pregnancy!)

• Like 1

That's interesting. I eat plain almonds every day, but could give them up easily. The only food I'm addicted to is salad, because I crave it if I don't have at least one salad a day. Oh, and coffee, too.

When I have had nutrition-related cravings, it eventually solves itself. I go from "can't stop eating this" to "yeah, I don't need any of those for a while" like someone flipped a switch. This happened to me with Brazil nuts. I saw some in the store, and I thought they looked yummy. I rarely saw them shelled, so it sounded like a nice treat...then I noticed they literally made me super, super happy when I ate them, then I wanted a handful every day...I looked it up, and realized it was probably a selenium thing. After months of eating a handful per day, I suddenly started feeling averse to them (after I'd figured out a way to get them in bulk to be cost effective, of course). Now I can eat them normally when they cross my path. 

Sometimes the cravings aren't over the top, it's just that a side of x sounds lovely every time I see it, lol! (eggs during pregnancy!)

This happens to me too sometimes. 

• Like 1