Menu

Don't laugh but: dogs & gas

poppy

First time with a dog.  She's great. But the SMELLS. Help!  It's gross.

I've found the biggest problem is when she goes outside and chews on sticks.

But, I don't know how to prevent this. 

The dog has like 10 balls, which I actively throw at her. We go on walks, too.

But everyday she wants to chew sticks.
And then there is the smell. 
What can I do??

Posting because it's escalated recently, from merely fragrant to fragrant PLUS audible tooting.

Ahhhhhhhhh.

Context:   dog is a 1.5 year old yellow English lab.

Diet is 95% Canidae regular kibble, plus the occasional "found food", like when kids drop a piece of shredded wheat.

UGH.  I feel your pain (smell your pain??).  

We have a dog that will clear out company with her gas.  What has worked so far is atrociously expensive dog food (Taste of the Wild) and Digestive Enzyme powder that we put on every cup of dog food.  The kids call it Fart Powder :D.  

We've tried EVERYTHING over the years and this is the only combination that makes her gas better.  She still audibly toots (which is so awful and so awfully funny) but it's at least just noise and not the Silent But Deadly horrors she was gracing us with before the new diet.  

ETA:  When I say smelly, I mean it was so foul you could almost SEE it.  We started to wonder if she had an actual medical problem.  

Edited by UnsinkableKristen
  • Like 3

You might want to try another food. Natural Balance makes our dog’s gas peel paint. Fromm was worse. Even he was offended by the smell. Solid Gold has been great for him.

And food is often dog-specific, as mine eats Natural Balance and has scent-less farts lol. I agree with trying a new food!
  • Like 1

Yup could be food. 
You can try acidopholous (or adding a scoop of yogurt) with current food or just try changing.

Gassiness is also the biggest symptom of worms in one of my dogs. I always know he needs deworming when he starts rumbling and tooting. 

& fwiw, I would prefer my dogs chew on big raw (not smoked, raw) bones than sticks. I don't think it would do anything with gassiness but I just think it's healthier for bones & intestines.... 

I'd try a new food.

I do not accept gassy dogs as being a normal thing. I know when I get gassy it's because something's off with my GI tract. I've either got some kind of tummy bug or eaten something to cause it like too many beans or too much dairy. I always assume the same thing is true in dogs.

She may be chewing on sticks because her tummy hurts and for some doggy reason she thinks chewing on sticks will help relieve her discomfort. But just in case it is a chewing issue I'd get her a nice raw bone (little/no marrow--that's rich and can cause digestive upsets) or a few bully sticks or similar things. I'd try to always have an appropriate chew item with me and I'd redirect her from chewing on sticks. Being a Lab you may also be able to redirect her to a soft, stuffed toy. I've known several pointing/retrieving dogs who enjoyed carrying a stuffed toy around in their mouths most of the day. You may have to redirect her to an appropriate chew or toy 10,000 times before  you see progress. Or if it's food and you get her tummy feeling better that might cure it right away.

So . . . food change. I'd go with a limited ingredient  food. Fewer ingredients=less chance something in the food disagrees with her.

• Like 1

I've had some luck with changing foods.  But you might have to try more than one - it can take a while to find something, because you have to give a new food a good try - sometimes the changing food causes more gas than usual for a while.

My old dog who died a few years ago was the worst for gas, he would eat anything that seemed potentially food-like: five pounds of flour, three week old chicken carcass (swallowed whole,) putrid porcupine.  We never really managed to get him to stop farting, but it was at least comical - he would turn around and look at his butt in surprise whenever he did it.

• Like 1

I feel  err.. smell your pain.  We have had dogs for years.  My thoughts are:  1.  worms  2.  food.   The food brand you are feeding might not be the issue but it might be flavor/ingredient.  For example, my dogs can only eat venison.  If they eat lamb (same brand) they will stink us out with flatulence!  It may be a trial and error for a few weeks with the food but I would definitely rule out worms!!!

Another vote for food change. And redirecting to appropriate chew toys. Keep something in your pocket so you can whip it out and give her a better chew toy!

Our gassy dogs all ended up being allergic to something. Switching foods helped the most.

I like Callista’s worm idea, too. Is it possible she has worms?

Anyone want to share a brand for digestive enzymes? I’ve never heard of that for dogs, but what a reasonable solution. I have a dog who would benefit, too.

Anyone want to share a brand for digestive enzymes? I’ve never heard of that for dogs, but what a reasonable solution. I have a dog who would benefit, too.

I don't use just a digestive enzyme but rotate through a supplement that contains a bunch of digestive support ingredients. This is labelled senior but it's for any age pet with digestive issues. https://biologicvet.ca/products/biosenior/

I also use their joint & vites products in rotation. In Canada, Costco carries them at the lowest prices and you don't have to be a member to buy them online. Not sure if they sell in the US but if not, look for something with similar ingredient listings. 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 1

First time with a dog.  She's great. But the SMELLS. Help!  It's gross.

I've found the biggest problem is when she goes outside and chews on sticks.

But, I don't know how to prevent this. 

The dog has like 10 balls, which I actively throw at her. We go on walks, too.

But everyday she wants to chew sticks.

And then there is the smell. 

What can I do??

Posting because it's escalated recently, from merely fragrant to fragrant PLUS audible tooting.

Ahhhhhhhhh.

Context:   dog is a 1.5 year old yellow English lab.

Diet is 95% Canidae regular kibble, plus the occasional "found food", like when kids drop a piece of shredded wheat.

The stick chewing may be a symptom not a cause, or just that dogs like to have something satisfying to chew, not just balls.  And your dog is probably having gas pains and maybe other distress also, in addition to your issues with the smell. (And she may not like the smell either.)

I suggest you change her food.  Maybe a grain free food, a sensitive tummy few ingredient food, or raw food would be better.  Our dog tends to do better with First Mate, or Castor and Pollux, brand food for his commercial kibbles, or else raw when I can manage that,   When he has really bad gas I give him a charcoal capsule to help give him some relief.

She probably needs a safe chew item like a bully stick.

If food change does not help, I suggest a vet visit.

I suggest that you not cover up the odor with toxic products like room fragrance products, but an air filter might help. And an absorber like activated charcoal in a filter or a box of baking soda might help temporarily.

But getting to the root cause (likely the food, but if not maybe something that needs a vet), is needed.

• Like 1