Menu

What's with the ads?

texasmom33

Alternatives to Rhetoric II at WTMA

This might be premature, but I'm a little nervous on the TBD possible until April 1 on the Rhetoric courses. Personally, I would love to wait until April or later to deal with these registrations, but all of our other providers started registration in the previous two weeks. There's no way I can wait until April to register for the rest of her classes. 

We were planning on dd taking Rhetoric II next fall, but if that can't happen due to scheduling, any suggestions on what my best plan B would be? 

We already had the talk about going back to IEW for next year to give us flexibility for her other classes and she said no way- she wants the rigor of a Rhetoric class. I could always throw her into some BraveWriter courses through the year, but it's definitely not the same. She's had Schauer this year and really likes her. What is the closest thing I could get online to WTMA? WHA is out- I refuse to pay what they're charging. I'd just as soon hire an MA in English to come sit at my house with her weekly and personally coach her for that price. But surely there is something else similar? It's hard for me to know because this year is our first experience with Rhetoric. She's my oldest. 

• Like 1

Tuition isn't yet listed for WTMA, are you sure WHA is going to be more?  The WTMA classes that meet once a week will be $599 plus the $100 registration.  The writing classes meet twice a week, so they will be ~ $699+$100 by my estimation.  

Edited by melmichigan

Tuition isn't yet listed for WTMA, are you sure WHA is going to be more?  The WTMA classes that meet once a week will be $599 plus the $100 registration.  The writing classes meet twice a week, so they will be ~ $699+$100 by my estimation.  

But WHA has the $250 student fee on top of it all. That's a no go for me. I am hoping WTMA does the early reg deal they did last year, which basically comped the tech/reg fee. We'll see. But if they cross that $800 thresh hold I'm out there too. I just can't justify it for a Rhetoric course. 

Her AP classes through PAH- maybe I could. And Wes Callihan I could. But not this. There are just too many other writing options out there. 

But WHA has the $250 student fee on top of it all. That's a no go for me. I am hoping WTMA does the early reg deal they did last year, which basically comped the tech/reg fee. We'll see. But if they cross that $800 thresh hold I'm out there too. I just can't justify it for a Rhetoric course. 

Her AP classes through PAH- maybe I could. And Wes Callihan I could. But not this. There are just too many other writing options out there. 

I completely understand.  We are going to have to pass on a writing class with WTMA because of cost.

DS will follow the sequence for math with WHA, but he's an existing student, so we get a little discount.  He's really the only one for which I can justify the cost.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

We're now on the waiting list to see if this class makes: http://clrconline.com/research-writing-and-critical-analysis/

I think they had her on "NSA archives". Of course, we are back to square one on the April thing, but I guess that's just what is meant to be. It'll work out wht way it's supposed to. After the horse tragedy today I'm very much in the moment of man makes plans, but God directs.....

• Like 1

Another option is dual enrollment in ENGL 1301 and 1302 (those are Texas common course numbers that most CCs use). They are part of the Core Curriculum at Texas public universities and even private schools tend to accept them. You can probably find online as well as live sections.

• Like 1