Menu

What to buy an 18 year old graduating high school

Scarlett

Get him the sheets or make him the quilt.

What is the point of a class ring or a watch?

No point I guess.  What is the point of anything?  High school graduation is a milestone and I want to mark it for him.

My mom might make him a quilt....I don't sew....and yes  can buy him sheets...but it isn't like a keep sake.

• Like 2

In my limited experience, high school graduation becomes less of a big deal if there's college to follow. Everyone talks about high school their first semester of college, then no one cares anymore. High school rings, letter jackets and sometimes boyfriends (lol) are left behind. Pictures are for parents.

Give him something he can use for college, like a new computer, a super nice backpack,sheets...or a trip to celebrate. Then let it go.

• Like 14

Some nice gifts my high school graduates received:

Leatherman tool

Small Repair kit if living in a dorm - hammer, screwdrivers, duct tape

Backpack or Messenger bag - a nice one that fits well with a padded slot for a laptop

Contigo water bottle and Thermos set (for hot drinks)

Noise canceling head phones (great for commuting and plane rides)

• Like 1

Perhaps a check in the amount you would spend on something into his savings account. Does he need a suit? That could be a practical gift. Is there some kind of lessons or thing he has talked about that he won’t get himself you could surprise him with.

He wears suits 3 times a week. I just bought him a new one. He has two. And his dad gave him $500 for new clothes. He was hard pressed to spend 250 of it.

His dad also bought him a new lap top.

Ds just spent a good portion of his savings on a nice desk top computer for gaming.

A lesson......maybe. But he stopped piano lessons several years ago. He loves his piano though.....a nice keyboard actually.

I wish I could afford to buy him a real piano. THAT is a gift he would enjoy.

I'm not a big one on high school graduation - my girls both recevied luggage because they were going to school across the country and would be traveling a lot.

I don't remember what i gave my sons.  cameras? computer equip?

if he wants sheets and a quilt - great.   give them to him.  you can make (or find) a nice quilt.

• Like 1

I wish I could afford to buy him a real piano. THAT is a gift he would enjoy.

I would hold on about buying a piano though. I only bought upright pianos because I prefer condos to any homes with staircases or yards/lawns (ETA: as in no space for a grand piano). Moving an upright piano from house to house cost at least $200 here and tuning a piano is at least $80 if done annually. Also pianos don’t have headphone jacks unlike keyboards or digital pianos so it can be annoying to listen to a piano piece played daily for more than a year (which is what my husband did).

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Nice frame for the photo you will take or have taken. You can place it on a shelf and take care of it for him until he is grown up enough to want it himself ;-)

Otherwise, here one kid got a laptop for college, another a decent carry-on suitcase. Oldest kid got a passport (still unused alas, so much for study abroad).

They also all got a thermal mug to keep that morning coffee or tea hot with a logo from their chosen college. Filled with their fav candy.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

Is he commuting or living in the dorm?  If commuting, you could get his car detailed.  It's not sentimental at all, but it does have a "let me do something special for you because you graduated" vibe to it.   Up grade his floor mats.  Give him a gas card.  But it starts off the next part of his life all fresh and clean.

• Like 2

Is he commuting or living in the dorm?  If commuting, you could get his car detailed.  It's not sentimental at all, but it does have a "let me do something special for you because you graduated" vibe to it.   Up grade his floor mats.  Give him a gas card.  But it starts off the next part of his life all fresh and clean.

That is a good idea.  I will get him a gift certificate to have his car detailed...and buy him new mats.  I actually asked him if he wanted new mats and he said no!  But I think he will be glad to have them.

No this is my son.

His dad wants to take him on a trip. He doesn't want to go .

If he could go with friends he would like it.

I don't know what the relationship between your ex and your DS is (I know between you and ex is not great). If the son and dad relationship is OK, I might suggest to do that going on a small trip with Dad would be a nice thing to do for his dad since this may be the last time they can do something like this. Then I'd say no more. If the relationship is problematic I'd say nothing.

I get a car related gift, based on your other details.

• Like 1

I don't know what the relationship between your ex and your DS is (I know between you and ex is not great). If the son and dad relationship is OK, I might suggest to do that going on a small trip with Dad would be a nice thing to do for his dad since this may be the last time they can do something like this. Then I'd say no more. If the relationship is problematic I'd say nothing.

I get a car related gift, based on your other details.

My XH and I get along fine.  And he and ds get along ok.  They just have very different lives.  I did some looking at Alaskan cruises and showed to ds and he said, 'would be fun if I was doing it with my friends.'  So he will just have to decide what he wants to do about that.

That is a good idea.  I will get him a gift certificate to have his car detailed...and buy him new mats.  I actually asked him if he wanted new mats and he said no!  But I think he will be glad to have them.

I'm thinking you live in snow land. The Weather Tech and ones like that with all the little compartments to catch mud and melted snow are nice.  Also works well when someone drops a soda on the floor.  You can just pick it up level and then flip the liquid out. 

My keepsake was my class ring....but part of the reason it was a keepsake for me was I bought it myself....after I got pregnant my senior year.

DD22 didn't want any sort of keepsake.

And I have never met a BOY who cared about high school grad keepsake. 

Such a cool gift. The ultimate gift that keeps on giving. My son came way after after HS, but he is the most precious gift of all.

No this is my son.

His dad wants to take him on a trip. He doesn't want to go .

If he could go with friends he would like it.

We gave our son a plane ticket to be used to go anywhere sometime in the future. He ended up using it to go backpacking with friends in Europe the summer after his junior year of college. Edited by Frances

I asked him for ideas the other day.  I believe he came up with bamboo sheets.  A homemade quilt. 

Seriously.  He doesn't want anything.  No class ring.  No watch.  Nothing.

Tee shirt quilts make great graduation presents. I'm planning to make DS a quilt with all of his fencing shirts from competitions and camps. If your DS has a bunch of graphic tees, maybe you could ask your mom to make a quilt with them? Even if he only has a few, you can add strips of fabric in between and a wide border, or add some blank blocks for friends to sign in fabric marker. 

Here are a couple of (randomly googled) examples. For a twin size, obviously you wouldn't need as many shirts.

Block style:

oak-hills-high-school-cincinnati-ohio-t-

Patchwork style:

boraas.jpg

• Like 1

Tee shirt quilts make great graduation presents. I'm planning to make DS a quilt with all of his fencing shirts from competitions and camps. If your DS has a bunch of graphic tees, maybe you could ask your mom to make a quilt with them? Even if he only has a few, you can add strips of fabric in between and a wide border, or add some blank blocks for friends to sign in fabric marker.

Here are a couple of (randomly googled) examples. For a twin size, obviously you wouldn't need as many shirts.

Block style:

oak-hills-high-school-cincinnati-ohio-t-

Patchwork style:

boraas.jpg

I love this idea, but Ds doesn't own a si glee graphic tee. And hasn't since was probably 12.

Does he have a vehicle to get back and forth to college?  Can you give him large amounts of gas cards?  What about food money to buy some food on campus for those days he stays through a meal?  

My guess is that he is trying to be kind to you and not have you spend much money.

PS:  my kids wouldn't want a ring or watch either.....it would be a waste of money.

Edited by DawnM

Does he have a vehicle to get back and forth to college?  Can you give him large amounts of gas cards?  What about food money to buy some food on campus for those days he stays through a meal?  

My guess is that he is trying to be kind to you and not have you spend much money.

PS:  my kids wouldn't want a ring or watch either.....it would be a waste of money.

He does have a vehicle.  But between his dad and me we have already planned to provide his  gas to college....and to feed him.  But I like the idea of extra food money because he never gets enough to eat it seems.

I just hate to give as a 'special gift' something that I would be paying for anyway.

And yes I am sure he doesn't want me to spend money on him.