Menu

Why the McDougall diet?

Ann.without.an.e

Just an idea for dressing salad without oil....just change the way you do salad. ( I don't follow the McDougall diet, but while reading this thread, I thought this idea would be helpful). Never mind the salad dressing. Make a Band Camp like they serve at Moe's, minus any meat/cheese/ oil, etc. We have this at home a lot. It's filling and has a good balance of nutrients. We get large bowls out and fill them in this order: warm cooked brown rice, warm cooked (Instant Pot for us) black beans, chopped lettuce, diced cucumbers, diced tomatoes, a bit of chopped cilantro, salsa, maybe some hot sauce, and the juice of fresh lime. Lightly salt and pepper to taste. We have this often. So fresh and healthful. Dh makes his with a bit of cheese on top and sour cream on the side, but I do mine without cheese and sour cream sometimes. It's really very good, and I never get tired of it.

If you have your beans and rice made up ahead of time, it's so quick and easy to just chop the veggies and dump on the salsa and other toppings.

It's hard to find good salad dressing made without oil. I did once make some with vinegar, mustard, and honey, but I don't remember the proportions. It wasn't too bad.

What is a Band Camp?   I gather Moe's is a restaurant?   Is this like a burrito bowl?

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

On the topic of oil free salad drssing: isn't one of the functions of dressing to make the fat soluble vitamins in leafy greens and other veggies available to the body? How does that work without fat?

That's why Dr. Fuhrman has people making nut and seed based salad dressings, and eating salads with a bit of avocado and nuts and seeds.

• Like 3