Menu

follow up to art of argument?

angelmama1209

Listening in. We are doing Fallacy Detective this year with my 12 year old and I might do Art of Argument next year.  LOL.

I had read in the Well Trained Mind about The Argument Builder, which I think is the next one after Art of Argument, but I would love to hear opinions.  https://classicalacademicpress.com/product/the-argument-builder/

ETA: Can anyone comment on the overlap between this (Argument Builder) and Lost Tools of Writing?

Edited by cintinative

Fallacy Detective is lots easier than Art of Argument.

We have done Fallacy Detective, the AoA, then Argument Builder, then Discovery of Deduction (if they want formal logic ... not all of my kids have wanted that)

Momto5inIN, do you happen to have any experience with Lost Tools of Writing? I own it, and it seems that both LtoW and Argument Builder are "introduction to rhetoric" type courses.  I am curious to know if you have experience to comment on that. 

Momto5inIN, do you happen to have any experience with Lost Tools of Writing? I own it, and it seems that both LtoW and Argument Builder are "introduction to rhetoric" type courses. I am curious to know if you have experience to comment on that.

I don't, sorry!

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Momto5inIN, do you happen to have any experience with Lost Tools of Writing? I own it, and it seems that both LtoW and Argument Builder are "introduction to rhetoric" type courses.  I am curious to know if you have experience to comment on that. 

Ha! I found a thread on it!  I love this forum!!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/441987-lost-tools-of-writinglogic-courses-question/

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

Fallacy Detective would be like going back a grade from Art of Argument. It covers far less than AoA.

We go to Argument Builder next. Discovery of Deduction is formal logic; only my kids interested in going further do this level (after AB). Most of them stopped with AB. :)

Technically, you can go with AB *or* DoD next. They don't have to go in a certain order.

Edited by SilverMoon

Ok so I had read on the website to do Discovery of Deduction next...but then what about Argument Builder? Why would one choose one over the other to do next? (Dd is 7th grade doing AoA and while enjoying it, is finding it challenging).

My understanding is that Argument Builder is similar to Lost Tools of Writing, so if you are doing that or plan to, you will want to do one or the other.

As far as Discovery of Deduction--it is basically Formal Logic year 1.  So it would depend on if your kid was ready for formal logic.

What age/grade level do you usually begin Fallacy Detective.  I see a wide range. 

We're doing it this year in 6th. I can't imagine using it with a 5th grader. I noticed some high school level classes use it to supplement/provide examples for another logic like Art of Argument. 

• 1 month later...

SO just putting together all the replies...

My 7th grader has just completed Art of Argument in coop and absolutely LOVED it.

Next we would do Argument Builder in 8th (though NOT along with Lost Tools of Writing? I am considering that as a writing curric.)

Then Discovery of Deduction in 9th

Is that correct?