Menu

Dance Parents

LizzyBee

These work well and fast for buns 04954f3a4fc4efecdae5732ef58403b1.jpg

Goody makes them, sold at Walgreens. They worked great for now adult dd's very long thick hair, and she still uses them to put up her hair.

Ok I went and got these last night and have tried them today and cannot get them to work. 

They just fall out of the dancer's hair in about 2 mins of dancing. 

What am I doing wrong?  

In the video she uses 2 and that is what I did.  

Do I need to use more?

Edited by mommyoffive

You probably need more bobby pins. You need LOTS of bobby pins for dance, lots. I always made my kid shake her head and jump around a bit so she could feel where her hair was moving. Then spray it and use a clean mascara wand in clear hair gel for the fly aways on the sides. 

You probably need more bobby pins. You need LOTS of bobby pins for dance, lots. I always made my kid shake her head and jump around a bit so she could feel where her hair was moving. Then spray it and use a clean mascara wand in clear hair gel for the fly aways on the sides. 

They don't use any in the video.  Hmmm

I am going to try doing the ponytail and then do the screws

• Like 1

They don't use any in the video. Hmmm

I am going to try doing the ponytail and then do the screws

Hmm, we make a ponytail with or without an elastic, then wind the tail into a bun. Then the pins are like screws holding it all together. Catch up some of the scalp hair, start they pub into the bun, be sure to rub the scalp with every twist so you are getting scalp hair and bun hair both twisted in. It should be pretty impossible for it to fall out. I've never even seen one loosen. If the ponytail isn't tight sometimes the bun will move, but not come out - too uncomfortable to dance with, though.

• Like 2

Hmm, we make a ponytail with or without an elastic, then wind the tail into a bun. Then the pins are like screws holding it all together. Catch up some of the scalp hair, start they pub into the bun, be sure to rub the scalp with every twist so you are getting scalp hair and bun hair both twisted in. It should be pretty impossible for it to fall out. I've never even seen one loosen. If the ponytail isn't tight sometimes the bun will move, but not come out - too uncomfortable to dance with, though.

I am on bun number 3 that has fallen right out with 2 mins of dancing. 

I will try again with your tip. 

• Like 1

Ok I went and got these last night and have tried them today and cannot get them to work.

They just fall out of the dancer's hair in about 2 mins of dancing.

What am I doing wrong?

In the video she uses 2 and that is what I did.

Do I need to use more?

I used 4 of the long ones (there are two sizes) for my dd's long and thick hair. You have to make sure you screw them in kind of sideways towards the scalp without actually touching the scalp. If she has slippery hair, I'd use a hair tie to make a pony tail and then wrap to bun and screw in.

The key to a good bun that stays in is using hairpins correctly. This is a great video that shows the correct technique (the key is to put them in the bun vertically and then turn them to horizontal before pushing them in):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Loypr_bsFo

In this video they put the hairnet in first because the girl has shorter hair that is harder to work with, but putting the hairnet on first will cause the hairpins to rip it a bit so it won't last ask long. My dd does the hairpins first and puts the hairnet on after and can reuse the hairnet many times.

You can find the hairpins and nets on Amazon if you search for ballet hair pins or ballet hair nets. We like the Capezio Bunheads brand. There are different lengths depending on the thickness of the bun.

In my opinion, the key to fabulous unmovable buns is the hair pins. Get 3†like these:

https://www.sallybeauty.com/jumbo-hair-pins/SBS-270101,default,pd.html?list=Search_Results#q=Hair+pins&start=1

Sally’s also has the hairnets and doughnuts. But, it is those really long pins that are the magic. They are long enough to interlock under the doughnut which keeps the bun tight even during tricks.

• Like 1

I used 4 of the long ones (there are two sizes) for my dd's long and thick hair. You have to make sure you screw them in kind of sideways towards the scalp without actually touching the scalp. If she has slippery hair, I'd use a hair tie to make a pony tail and then wrap to bun and screw in.

Thanks.  I am a dance mom dropout today.  

I think I have the short kind?   I only used 2, but man I don't know if I even want to try more of these.  I have tried 6 or 7 times and it isn't getting much better.  

• Like 1

Putting the hairnet on before the pins really helps hold the hair in a bun with no flyaways. It does shorten the lifespan of the hairnet. A light misting of water we find also helps get the hair back nicely while putting it into a poneytail. Then hairspray after of course. Even though for a normal class we generally skip the hairspray.

My daughter likes the twist in kind, in my hair I can get them into a bun with no poneytail - but I don’t think it would actually hold for a dance class. But with the hair in a poneytail, and then a hairnet, and then one or two twisty pins - this seems to work for a number of girls at my daughters studio for class.

What works for one type of hair won't be sufficient for another. DD16 has extremely thick hair, so her bun would never hold without an elastic on the ponytail. Or without a ton of hair pins. We have use the spin pins in the past (she doesn't use them now that she does her own hair), but they were always in addition to the bobby pins.

If the bun is falling out, you are not using enough bobby pins, and perhaps you are not placing them correctly. Do not just spear them into the bun. Make sure you take a small bit of the hair on the head that is not in the bun, then slide the bobby pin underneath the bun until it is hidden. Do this all the way around the bun. Even for my other daugher's fine hair and tiny bun, I used a lot of pins. Once the bun is secured around the base, you can twist the spin pin into the body of the bun or put a few bobby pins through it. Use spray gel as needed. And pin the wispies that fly out around the ears or on the top of the head and then gel.

We always put the net on last and pin it as well. But DD16's bun is huge, due to all of her hair. We pin the bun as we wind it up.

• Like 1

Spin Pins only work for my DD if she puts her hair in a braid first, and then winds the braid up, THEN uses the spin pins.  She has fine, slippery hair.  When I use spin pins for my very long, thick hair, I have to use at least three to get the bun to hold for any length of time.

DD primarily uses the donut for her buns.  Her hair always rolled out of the slap-bracelet style, but the donut works great when paired with a hair net. 

https://www.amazon.com/Styla-Hair-Piece-Donut-Medium/dp/B017ND5T5C/ref=sr_1_14_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1519239874&sr=1-14&keywords=bun%2Bmaker&th=1

• Like 1

Spin Pins only work for my DD if she puts her hair in a braid first, and then winds the braid up, THEN uses the spin pins.  She has fine, slippery hair.  When I use spin pins for my very long, thick hair, I have to use at least three to get the bun to hold for any length of time.

DD primarily uses the donut for her buns.  Her hair always rolled out of the slap-bracelet style, but the donut works great when paired with a hair net. 

https://www.amazon.com/Styla-Hair-Piece-Donut-Medium/dp/B017ND5T5C/ref=sr_1_14_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1519239874&sr=1-14&keywords=bun%2Bmaker&th=1

Thank you for that.  I put their hair in braids, spin pinned it and then put in some bobby pins.  And it worked.  

Yay

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I don't... but I'd love to hear where everyone's kids are doing their intensives this summer. BalletBoy got into Nashville Ballet and Ballet Austin, but he's staying at his studio for one more year. I kind of wanted him to have an away experience because it was so good for his brother for theater camp, but he's even missing a week at the beach to stay and do it. Devotion, y'all.

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I don't... but I'd love to hear where everyone's kids are doing their intensives this summer. BalletBoy got into Nashville Ballet and Ballet Austin, but he's staying at his studio for one more year. I kind of wanted him to have an away experience because it was so good for his brother for theater camp, but he's even missing a week at the beach to stay and do it. Devotion, y'all.

My daughter is doing intensives at San Francisco Ballet (3 weeks) and Pacific Northwest Ballet (5 weeks) this summer.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jyhwkmama said:

I mean hair so short it can't be pulled back like a bob or even shorter.

The girls with little bobs have been able to put in a short pony tail.  

I don't think I have seen any girl with hair shorter or that couldn't get in a pony tail.  My son who has wears a head band to keep the hair out of his eyes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jyhwkmama said:

Super short pixie-cut hair usually just gets slicked back to the head as much as possible.

The short hair that can make a super-short pony gets put into the pony and then extensions are added and a bunmaker used to make it look like everyone else. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Jyhwkmama said:

At our ballet studio, for class they would just keep it back with clips or bobby pins. For a performance it would be gelled back slick and a fake bun is pinned on. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2018 at 7:27 PM, Jyhwkmama said:

Not a dance mom, just curious. What if a girl has short hair and can't make a bun?

Our studio owner believes that you can make a bun unless you are bald! She points out a sub dance teacher who has really short hair and says, "If SHE can make a bun with her hair, you can too!"

• Like 1

My daughter has recitals with two studios. Neither do shows/themes, Her ballet school is in late May and she's doing a Pointe variation from Giselle.  Her comp school is in early June and she's doing four dances from comp season (Bohemian Rhapsody, a jazz, a lyrical, and a character/tap) and a rec pointe to a Beauty and the Beast medley.

Our studio is doing Coppelia on June 9th. They’ve been in rehearsals for a couple months but they’ve really ramped up the rehearsal schedule in the last couple weeks, added Friday night rehearsals and Saturdays from 12-6 in addition to her regular 9 classes. 

• Like 1

Both the Spring Concert and the final demo are gearing up here. Ds is in a mini-Snow White as a villager for the concert. The end of year demo is a big performance but just for parents - all the classes do something, unlike the concert where only a few kids are cast and they sell tickets to other people. The demo is always sort of more fun to me though, seeing all the classes do their thing.

The little kids don't get to participate in the demo - they have a special final class instead. I told ds I really wanted to go to the class he demonstrates for - he's like a TA for the class. He was like, no, they're terrible. They're so embarrassing. I was like, dude, they're SIX! He was like, they can't even find their places. It's going to be a disaster. You can't see it! I was like, I hope you're not this harsh to them. He was like, it's BALLET! Lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kitten18 said:

Our studio is doing Coppelia on June 9th. They’ve been in rehearsals for a couple months but they’ve really ramped up the rehearsal schedule in the last couple weeks, added Friday night rehearsals and Saturdays from 12-6 in addition to her regular 9 classes. 

Wow!

10 hours ago, Farrar said:

Both the Spring Concert and the final demo are gearing up here. Ds is in a mini-Snow White as a villager for the concert. The end of year demo is a big performance but just for parents - all the classes do something, unlike the concert where only a few kids are cast and they sell tickets to other people. The demo is always sort of more fun to me though, seeing all the classes do their thing.

The little kids don't get to participate in the demo - they have a special final class instead. I told ds I really wanted to go to the class he demonstrates for - he's like a TA for the class. He was like, no, they're terrible. They're so embarrassing. I was like, dude, they're SIX! He was like, they can't even find their places. It's going to be a disaster. You can't see it! I was like, I hope you're not this harsh to them. He was like, it's BALLET! Lol.

Ha.  The little ones are so fun to watch though.

I am not sure what the other School does as we haven't been there a whole year.  

The studio is doing a Disney theme so 3 full Disney movies that every class from the studio is in it.  The really little ones age 3 and 4 have their own recital but some of my kids are in that one too as demos. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My dancer is 14

She dances 6 days/week. She has class from 1.5-3 hours/day and for most of the year she has rehearsals for another 2-4 hours on Fridays and Saturdays. 

My dancer hasn’t really wanted to do anything else besides Dance. I think if there was something else she was passionate about she would be able to make time for it but she doesn’t want to. She’s an introvert and needs quite a bit of alone time to recharge. She’s taking a few outside (school) classes next year so that should be...interesting. 

• Like 1

This might not be the thread for it but I thought I'd throw this question out there. At what age do you do more than one class per week? I have a four year old who adores dance. She had the opportunity to try out for the competition team for next year and I kinda passed on it. She probably would have made it because there aren't many kids her age trying out. Competition at her age is really low pressure. Only one event next spring. But it would have meant switching to a different class away from the friends she's made this year. I could have done both classes (competition class and class with friends in it) but I didn't want to do two hours a week at such a young age. I don't want to burn her out on an activity she loves even though she's never not wanted to go to dance. We might do competition next year when she's five. Either switching to the competition class or doing both, I'm not sure.

I have no doubt we'll increase the amount of dance she does in the future, but I'm just not sure when. I don't want to kill her love of dance.

We are just finishing our first year of dance.  She’s 8, and is dancing one day a week for 2 hours.  She takes ballet and jazz.  She will be having her recital in 2 weeks.  This is subject to change of course, but judging by her level of enthusiasm, I will be a dance mom for a long time. 

• Like 1

My dd is 13. She dances 6 days a week, about 17 hours of class time and usually 4 hours of rehearsals.  No, between school and ballet there is not much time for other things, but she loves dancing and has great friends at the studio, so it's become her social outlet as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mimm said:

This might not be the thread for it but I thought I'd throw this question out there. At what age do you do more than one class per week? I have a four year old who adores dance. She had the opportunity to try out for the competition team for next year and I kinda passed on it. She probably would have made it because there aren't many kids her age trying out. Competition at her age is really low pressure. Only one event next spring. But it would have meant switching to a different class away from the friends she's made this year. I could have done both classes (competition class and class with friends in it) but I didn't want to do two hours a week at such a young age. I don't want to burn her out on an activity she loves even though she's never not wanted to go to dance. We might do competition next year when she's five. Either switching to the competition class or doing both, I'm not sure.

I have no doubt we'll increase the amount of dance she does in the future, but I'm just not sure when. I don't want to kill her love of dance.

Dd started taking class two days a week when she was 5. I think at age 5-6 it was twice a week, age 7-8 it was 3 times a week. She tried competition dance at age 8-9. Age 9 she decided she wanted to be a ballerina so she transitioned from competition dance to a ballet focused studio and started dancing five days a week. Then bumped up to six days a week when she was 12. 

• Like 2

When my daughter was four, she did one 45 minute class a week. At age five she went up to two 45 minute classes, on different nights. Then she made the competition team and has even dancing four nights a week ever since. Some nights only 45 minutes, some nights three hours. Plus other random workshops and master classes or practices throughout the year. We live at the studio ? But she loves it! She has missed out on some activities she wanted to do, because of dance. But I always make her aware of the conflict and she continues to choose dance. So she must not be too upset about the things she misses out on! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lovelearnandlive said:

My dd is 13. She dances 6 days a week, about 17 hours of class time and usually 4 hours of rehearsals.  No, between school and ballet there is not much time for other things, but she loves dancing and has great friends at the studio, so it's become her social outlet as well.

Does your dd just take ballet? 

11 hours ago, kitten18 said:

My dancer is 14

She dances 6 days/week. She has class from 1.5-3 hours/day and for most of the year she has rehearsals for another 2-4 hours on Fridays and Saturdays. 

My dancer hasn’t really wanted to do anything else besides Dance. I think if there was something else she was passionate about she would be able to make time for it but she doesn’t want to. She’s an introvert and needs quite a bit of alone time to recharge. She’s taking a few outside (school) classes next year so that should be...interesting. 

Is your dancer just taking ballet classes? 

11 hours ago, Mimm said:

We don't do competition dance. 

My 4 year old this year took 45 min classes at one studio.  At their ballet school she does 2 1 hour classes a week.  Sometimes 3 when we can make it. 

In the fall there is 1 hour rehearsals once a week too. 

• Like 1