Menu

Dance Parents

LizzyBee

44 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I am at the beginning of my second season with my kids on the same team and in the same ballet levels.  Other than DD's solo, DS's duet and DS's boys ballet, their schedules are identical.  It's absolutely glorious. 

The bittersweet part of this is that it is the last season like this.  DD is a senior, so this is her last year.  Next year we'll probably let DS ramp it up since we'll only be paying for one. 

We also lost one of our carpools because their dd skipped over a level. Yay! for her, but means more driving for me, boo-hoo.

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

First ballet class for one dd was Saturday. She found out she will be dancing Clara this year. Very excited! She already signed up for YAGP, so this is going to be a particularly ballet-heavy year. The chauffeur in me is already dreaming about next year when there will be more class overlap between my girls and, well, maybe just more overlap.

Wow!!  Clara!!  Congrats.  That is such an amazing experience.  She has to be over the moon.  

What is YAGP? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I am at the beginning of my second season with my kids on the same team and in the same ballet levels.  Other than DD's solo, DS's duet and DS's boys ballet, their schedules are identical.  It's absolutely glorious. 

The bittersweet part of this is that it is the last season like this.  DD is a senior, so this is her last year.  Next year we'll probably let DS ramp it up since we'll only be paying for one. 

Wow lucky year.  All 5 of my kids are on different levels.  With every really good ballet studio 1 hour one way for our house this really stinks.  Basically I would have to be doing the drive 5 days a week.  Not looking forward to this year. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow lucky year.  All 5 of my kids are on different levels.  With every really good ballet studio 1 hour one way for our house this really stinks.  Basically I would have to be doing the drive 5 days a week.  Not looking forward to this year. 

That stinks! I feel guilty for complaining, our studio is really quite close.

YAGP is Youth America Grand Prix. I don't know much more about it than what I learned watching the documentary First Position. It is an international dance competition. There is a regional event close enough to us that it makes sense to enter. Some other dancers at her studio participated last year. Like summer intensive tryouts, I think it is a good experience, even if you don't expect to progress far. You get evaluated by a panel of judges. There is a large continent from her small studio entering this year.

On 8/13/2018 at 3:13 PM, mommyoffive said:

Ha.  Laughing that you are not ready for it.  It is work for us too isn't it?

Neat to hear that you went with your dd to the intensive.  I wondered what some people did.  We were going to go to one out of the country and then decided not too because we would have been out of the country over a month because it was right up against our already booked vacation.  If they are still serious next year I see our vacations just being them at intensives at different places. 

But I did just add up how much we paid for intensives and classes this summer.   $$$$    That doesn't even include the gear, gas, and on on.   

Oh my, yes! It definitely is hard work for us as well! 

I completely understand about intensives conflicting with vacation times.  For the past several years, we have had to plan our summer around intensives.  It is worth it, but I miss the days when our whole summer was ours to do what we want! Fortunately she attended an intensive this year in a city that I really enjoy, so that made it fun for me!

Yes, the costs for summer intensives are $$$$$$$.  I refuse to even add up all of the costs for everything.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:43 PM, SusanC said:

First ballet class for one dd was Saturday. She found out she will be dancing Clara this year. Very excited! She already signed up for YAGP, so this is going to be a particularly ballet-heavy year. The chauffeur in me is already dreaming about next year when there will be more class overlap between my girls and, well, maybe just more overlap.

Congratulations on your daughter dancing Clara!! That is so exciting!  My daughter was Clara a few years ago.  It was such a special role and I know that my daughter is so grateful that she was asked to dance it! It is something that she will remember fondly forever.

I hope your daughter enjoys YAGP.  My daughter has competed for 4 years.  YAGP has changed so much since the first year she did it! It has definitely grown a lot and has changed quite a bit since First Position.  I think it can be a great experience if your daughter goes in with NO expectations.  They have changed the rules a bit this year which have made it less defined as to who will be advanced to finals in New York and, of course, there is a lot of the political, behind-the-scenes, dealing-making which is unfortunate.  It can be frustrating, but if you concentrate on the benefits you get from getting private instruction on the variation(s) from your DD's teacher and the opportunity to perform on a stage in front of some prestigious judges, it is a good experience.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2018 at 7:24 PM, edelweiss said:

Oh my, yes! It definitely is hard work for us as well! 

I completely understand about intensives conflicting with vacation times.  For the past several years, we have had to plan our summer around intensives.  It is worth it, but I miss the days when our whole summer was ours to do what we want! Fortunately she attended an intensive this year in a city that I really enjoy, so that made it fun for me!

Yes, the costs for summer intensives are $$$$$$$.  I refuse to even add up all of the costs for everything.

Congratulations on your daughter dancing Clara!! That is so exciting!  My daughter was Clara a few years ago.  It was such a special role and I know that my daughter is so grateful that she was asked to dance it! It is something that she will remember fondly forever.

I hope your daughter enjoys YAGP.  My daughter has competed for 4 years.  YAGP has changed so much since the first year she did it! It has definitely grown a lot and has changed quite a bit since First Position.  I think it can be a great experience if your daughter goes in with NO expectations.  They have changed the rules a bit this year which have made it less defined as to who will be advanced to finals in New York and, of course, there is a lot of the political, behind-the-scenes, dealing-making which is unfortunate.  It can be frustrating, but if you concentrate on the benefits you get from getting private instruction on the variation(s) from your DD's teacher and the opportunity to perform on a stage in front of some prestigious judges, it is a good experience.  

Yes that was the plan we were going to do this year.  But my kids had never done intensives before and we really didn't know if they would like them.  But they did 4 weeks of them locally and they loved them.  So next year that is probably what we will do.  Oh well live and learn. 

We got results for the audition this past weekend.  Ds got the Nutcracker for the second year.  Girls got party girls, flower, snow, and mouse.  I am not sure we are going to do this show however.  From what I can see from their show 7 years ago it wasn't that good.  That being said I think the girls would have fun doing those parts.  At their current ballet school the snow and flower parts are for professional dancers.  We have 4 more Nutcracker auditions at different ballet schools so we might just wait it out and see what happens.   Honestly we just went to get some extra audition practice.   

I will have to look into YAGP.  

Actually I have a question about it.   There are 2 or 3 different days for the one the is by us.  Do you pick which one to go to or do you go to all of them?

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Yes that was the plan we were going to do this year.  But my kids had never done intensives before and we really didn't know if they would like them.  But they did 4 weeks of them locally and they loved them.  So next year that is probably what we will do.  Oh well live and learn. 

We got results for the audition this past weekend.  Ds got the Nutcracker for the second year.  Girls got party girls, flower, snow, and mouse.  I am not sure we are going to do this show however.  From what I can see from their show 7 years ago it wasn't that good.  That being said I think the girls would have fun doing those parts.  At their current ballet school the snow and flower parts are for professional dancers.  We have 4 more Nutcracker auditions at different ballet schools so we might just wait it out and see what happens.   Honestly we just went to get some extra audition practice.   

I will have to look into YAGP.  

Actually I have a question about it.   There are 2 or 3 different days for the one the is by us.  Do you pick which one to go to or do you go to all of them?

Ok, so here is how it works.  Seattle, for example, is listed as January 4-6.  You need to plan to attend all three days, but you might not need to.  The reason I say that you need to plan to attend all three days is that at this point there is no schedule set for you to know what day(s) your children would compete.  For instance, YAGP might set a schedule that Seniors (ages 15-19) might compete their classical variations on the 4th. Plus, some of the ensembles might go on the 4th as well. Then, Juniors (ages 12-14) might go on the 5th for both classic and contemporary. Seniors might compete their contemporary variations on the 6th, as well as all of the Pre-competitive dancers (ages 8-11).  Awards would typically be on the evening of the 6th.  BUT... this is just an example of a schedule.  They won't give you a preliminary schedule until a couple of weeks before the competition AND they can, and sometimes do (it happened to us), change it around just days before the competition.  (One year my DD was supposed to compete on a Friday until 3 days before we left and then they changed her time to Sunday.). The various cities do NOT follow the same schedules at all.  So, you can't determine one by looking at another, or even the schedule at the same location from the past year.  Some cities even have two awards ceremonies. It can be very confusing.

So, I don't know what the ages of your children are, but depending on which ones competed, you might need to be there for several days if they are in different divisions.  Plus, there are masters classes.  So, if you chose to attend those, your child might compete on Friday night and then have masters classes on Sunday, for example.  However, masters classes are optional and if you don't care about staying for the awards ceremony, you could just take your child on the one day he/she competes (assuming that your child only did the classical division and not the contemporary one, or vice versa, and wasn't part of an ensemble, or were lucky and had both classical and contemporary in the same day).

Sorry, for the longwinded answer!  I hope that wasn't too confusing.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Like I said, we have been to YAGP 4 times (in 3 different locations).  DD has qualified for and attended finals in NYC 3 times (once as a soloist and twice as part of an ensemble).  So, I am pretty familiar with the processes by now!  DD is not sure that she wants to do YAGP anymore though, so I'm not sure that she'll be attending this year.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, edelweiss said:

Ok, so here is how it works.  Seattle, for example, is listed as January 4-6.  You need to plan to attend all three days, but you might not need to.  The reason I say that you need to plan to attend all three days is that at this point there is no schedule set for you to know what day(s) your children would compete.  For instance, YAGP might set a schedule that Seniors (ages 15-19) might compete their classical variations on the 4th. Plus, some of the ensembles might go on the 4th as well. Then, Juniors (ages 12-14) might go on the 5th for both classic and contemporary. Seniors might compete their contemporary variations on the 6th, as well as all of the Pre-competitive dancers (ages 8-11).  Awards would typically be on the evening of the 6th.  BUT... this is just an example of a schedule.  They won't give you a preliminary schedule until a couple of weeks before the competition AND they can, and sometimes do (it happened to us), change it around just days before the competition.  (One year my DD was supposed to compete on a Friday until 3 days before we left and then they changed her time to Sunday.). The various cities do NOT follow the same schedules at all.  So, you can't determine one by looking at another, or even the schedule at the same location from the past year.  Some cities even have two awards ceremonies. It can be very confusing.

So, I don't know what the ages of your children are, but depending on which ones competed, you might need to be there for several days if they are in different divisions.  Plus, there are masters classes.  So, if you chose to attend those, your child might compete on Friday night and then have masters classes on Sunday, for example.  However, masters classes are optional and if you don't care about staying for the awards ceremony, you could just take your child on the one day he/she competes (assuming that your child only did the classical division and not the contemporary one, or vice versa, and wasn't part of an ensemble, or were lucky and had both classical and contemporary in the same day).

Sorry, for the longwinded answer!  I hope that wasn't too confusing.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Like I said, we have been to YAGP 4 times (in 3 different locations).  DD has qualified for and attended finals in NYC 3 times (once as a soloist and twice as part of an ensemble).  So, I am pretty familiar with the processes by now!  DD is not sure that she wants to do YAGP anymore though, so I'm not sure that she'll be attending this year.  

Thank you for taking the time to explain it.  I am learning so much about being a dance mom.  ?  Is this your youngest or oldest daughter that has competed so much?  Wow she qualified for the finals?  Awesome.  Did she go? 

I get the whole 3 day thing, but the place I am looking to go would be IL and they have one in October and one in Feb.  It doesn't matter which one you go to does it?  I think I would pick the spring one since it is less crazy that time of year because of Nutcracker all fall. 

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Thank you for taking the time to explain it.  I am learning so much about being a dance mom.  ?  Is this your youngest or oldest daughter that has competed so much?  Wow she qualified for the finals?  Awesome.  Did she go? 

I get the whole 3 day thing, but the place I am looking to go would be IL and they have one in October and one in Feb.  It doesn't matter which one you go to does it?  I think I would pick the spring one since it is less crazy that time of year because of Nutcracker all fall. 

It is my youngest who is the dancer.  ? Yes, she has qualified for finals every year that she has attended YAGP.  Three times were as part of an ensemble (which is MUCH easier to qualify for).  One time was as a soloist.  She has attended 3 YAGP NYC finals-- twice as an ensemble member and once as a soloist.  We chose not to attend last year's YAGP because they changed the venue. 

Yes, you are correct.  It doesn't matter which YAGP you attend-- the one in October or the one in February.  I am assuming that you are looking at the Chicago YAGP.  Just so you know, the February one is already in a wait list situation.  It used to be that you could wait until October to register to YAGP and even then, some sites never reached capacity.  Now, many of the sites fill up by the end of the summer.  It's crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, maize said:

Please do let us know how the competition went LizzyBee!

I just saw this thread and realized I never updated! DD needed a hard shoe first to move up to prelim champ. She got a second that day, and one of her classmates got the first. But at her next feis in March, she got the first she needed and moved up. She's doing well in prelim - I think she's only not recalled twice, and she's placed as high as second. Her goal is to move up to open champ this fall, before regionals the first weekend in December. She needs two firsts to make open. 

Her toe has bothered her off and on. We visited her surgeon earlier this year to make sure it wasn't broken again. There were no new breaks, but he did say the inflammation caused from repetitive stamping can weaken the bone and eventually cause another break. He raised the possibility of retiring, but she's not there yet.

She's getting a new dress in time for regionals - it is in the design process now and sewing will begin in September. I'll try to remember to post a picture of it when it arrives in November.

Edited by LizzyBee
  • Like 1

Nutcracker auditions were today.  Over twenty girls, level 4 and up, showed up for auditions.  Daughter was one of four called back for Arabian Lead.  She was the only Level 4 called back for divertissement leads of any kind.  She was so excited and she did it with a darn burst blister (formed and burst during auditions!). Highly unlikely she will get it but she was just thrilled to be called back for her wanted role.  She would like nothing more than to be the Arabian lead.  

Rehearsals for flower/snow start Tuesday.  Tuesday's were going to be her day off. Oh well.  

Anyone have advice for healing a burst blister asap?

On 8/30/2018 at 9:33 PM, dancingmama said:

Nothing like what we expected. Its all kind of strange.  She ended up as Snow and Flower but she's not sharing a role.  She's also in Arabian Corp.  The big surprise, she's the Harlequin Doll.  That was not even on the radar.  She's so excited.  

Wow she got 4 parts?  Awesome

On 8/24/2018 at 6:44 PM, LizzyBee said:

I just saw this thread and realized I never updated! DD needed a hard shoe first to move up to prelim champ. She got a second that day, and one of her classmates got the first. But at her next feis in March, she got the first she needed and moved up. She's doing well in prelim - I think she's only not recalled twice, and she's placed as high as second. Her goal is to move up to open champ this fall, before regionals the first weekend in December. She needs two firsts to make open. 

Her toe has bothered her off and on. We visited her surgeon earlier this year to make sure it wasn't broken again. There were no new breaks, but he did say the inflammation caused from repetitive stamping can weaken the bone and eventually cause another break. He raised the possibility of retiring, but she's not there yet.

She's getting a new dress in time for regionals - it is in the design process now and sewing will begin in September. I'll try to remember to post a picture of it when it arrives in November.

Is this your youngest?  If so retiring at 16?  Oh man. 

Ds starts back to ballet tomorrow. He's finished with most of his PT for his knee. And he's now at a new studio after the old one did him wrong and implied very dumb, misinformed things about PT. I had hoped that he'd switch to a studio that would be smaller, but it's so hard to find one that has any boys except the biggest and best. So... we're at yet another big prestige kind of place. I'm worried it's going to be out of the frying pan into the fire, but... I'm also hopeful for him. He's very proud that he got accepted at a pretty high level in their program.

Nutcracker will be a giant change for us this year because it's with a professional company. Old studio - all the roles were by the kids (except some years they didn't have a male dancer strong enough for Nutcracker Prince or Arabian or Snow so they'd bring 1-2 young adult males - usually former dancers - in to do those, but they didn't even have to do that last year). No kids younger than 9 yo could perform and I think the youngest girls were all 11. New studio is attached to the city's biggest professional company so the kids do a lot of roles, including kids as young as 5 (!), but they're window dressing for the adult dancers. Old Nut was 16 performances and you did them all. They sold out at a large community college theater. New place has many more performances, but they run FOUR casts for nearly all the kids. Old Nut let you take off Thanksgiving. New Nut does not. Sigh. I told ds he'd have to skip Thanksgiving and spend it with someone local if he was going to do it because we have to go to the in-laws this year. Ds was like, okay, done. Kid's got devotion. Auditions in a couple of weeks. I guess I'm assuming he'll get a part, but I don't actually know. Old studio, you were guaranteed a role and most of the boys were required.

I'm also dreading it a little. And the new schedule. TWELVE classes per week. Oyvay.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 3

We're also back to dance on Monday.  We ended up with kind of a bummer of a schedule with some late nights at the studio- Monday and Thursday it will be until 9:30.  That would be okay except I get up for work at 2:30 am, and DH works out of town during the week.  SO two nights a week I get no sleep.  Yay me! ?

Nutcracker auditions are the following week.  I'm a little concerned, as we have an all new ballet program, which this is a part of.  It's DD's senior year and she's not en pointe, but in the past they've still given senior dancers some nice leading roles.  The non pointe means she can't do Snow Queen or Sugarplum, but all the rest have been done by flat dancers before.  The new ballet program/director may change this.  DD really had her heart set on Dew Drop, but I have no idea what all these changes mean.  Surely they will do SOMETHING for her senior year? I'm trying to not be worried for her.

DS is hoping for Cavalier this year, but there is another boy a few years older than him at our other studio who may audition, and I think if he auditions, he'll probably get Cavalier and DS will get something else.  The last few years they've moved him around and created pas roles for him to partner with dancers and it's been super fun.  He'll be disappointed if he's not Cavalier, but as long as he's not the Snow Prince, he'll be happy, and I like the idea of having to design another costume for him.  ?

20 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Ds starts back to ballet tomorrow. He's finished with most of his PT for his knee. And he's now at a new studio after the old one did him wrong and implied very dumb, misinformed things about PT. I had hoped that he'd switch to a studio that would be smaller, but it's so hard to find one that has any boys except the biggest and best. So... we're at yet another big prestige kind of place. I'm worried it's going to be out of the frying pan into the fire, but... I'm also hopeful for him. He's very proud that he got accepted at a pretty high level in their program.

Nutcracker will be a giant change for us this year because it's with a professional company. Old studio - all the roles were by the kids (except some years they didn't have a male dancer strong enough for Nutcracker Prince or Arabian or Snow so they'd bring 1-2 young adult males - usually former dancers - in to do those, but they didn't even have to do that last year). No kids younger than 9 yo could perform and I think the youngest girls were all 11. New studio is attached to the city's biggest professional company so the kids do a lot of roles, including kids as young as 5 (!), but they're window dressing for the adult dancers. Old Nut was 16 performances and you did them all. They sold out at a large community college theater. New place has many more performances, but they run FOUR casts for nearly all the kids. Old Nut let you take off Thanksgiving. New Nut does not. Sigh. I told ds he'd have to skip Thanksgiving and spend it with someone local if he was going to do it because we have to go to the in-laws this year. Ds was like, okay, done. Kid's got devotion. Auditions in a couple of weeks. I guess I'm assuming he'll get a part, but I don't actually know. Old studio, you were guaranteed a role and most of the boys were required.

I'm also dreading it a little. And the new schedule. TWELVE classes per week. Oyvay.

I hope the new studio proves to be a great fit and that the PT has really helped.

I assume the 12 classes does not include extra Nut practices either.  Right now the only days I'm not running to the studio are Friday and Sunday.  We've been warned that some Nut practices could land on Sunday, so I'm bracing for a few months of true insanity.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

Yay for getting through the PT.  I hope the new studio works out. 

Interesting to hear about the differences in your Nutcracker.  2 places where the kids did auditions it was kids only doing the show.  The place we did it last year and where they have auditions this weekend kids are younger (5) and get the smaller roles and Clara.  Wow 16 shows.  That is a ton of shows to be in.  

Keep us posted on what happens with that.  

12 classes, wow.  I wish we had that many classes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

We're also back to dance on Monday.  We ended up with kind of a bummer of a schedule with some late nights at the studio- Monday and Thursday it will be until 9:30.  That would be okay except I get up for work at 2:30 am, and DH works out of town during the week.  SO two nights a week I get no sleep.  Yay me! ?

Nutcracker auditions are the following week.  I'm a little concerned, as we have an all new ballet program, which this is a part of.  It's DD's senior year and she's not en pointe, but in the past they've still given senior dancers some nice leading roles.  The non pointe means she can't do Snow Queen or Sugarplum, but all the rest have been done by flat dancers before.  The new ballet program/director may change this.  DD really had her heart set on Dew Drop, but I have no idea what all these changes mean.  Surely they will do SOMETHING for her senior year? I'm trying to not be worried for her.

DS is hoping for Cavalier this year, but there is another boy a few years older than him at our other studio who may audition, and I think if he auditions, he'll probably get Cavalier and DS will get something else.  The last few years they've moved him around and created pas roles for him to partner with dancers and it's been super fun.  He'll be disappointed if he's not Cavalier, but as long as he's not the Snow Prince, he'll be happy, and I like the idea of having to design another costume for him.  ?

Wow, classes until 9:30.  Do you live close to the studio?  You get up at work at 2:30?  Wow, that is going to be rough.  Can you nap those days? 

We had a our first class that went to 8pm and then an hour drive home.  It didn't go well with the 2 year old.  This is going to be a long year.  The next level goes a little bit later.   

Keep us posted on how the auditions go and what parts they get.  It will be interesting to hear how the new director changes things.  We have a new artistic director this year too, so we are waiting to see how that goes. 

26 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow, classes until 9:30.  Do you live close to the studio?  You get up at work at 2:30?  Wow, that is going to be rough.  Can you nap those days? 

We had a our first class that went to 8pm and then an hour drive home.  It didn't go well with the 2 year old.  This is going to be a long year.  The next level goes a little bit later.   

Keep us posted on how the auditions go and what parts they get.  It will be interesting to hear how the new director changes things.  We have a new artistic director this year too, so we are waiting to see how that goes. 

Yes, we're just ten minutes away.  I have a paper route, so I get up at 2:30 and am back home between 4:30-5:00, when I do go back to sleep for a few hours.   

Eventually, DD will get her license and then she will have those night driving shifts, but at 18 she's still not eager to learn.  

• Like 1

So far so good today. Four classes down for the week. Eight to go.

18 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay for getting through the PT.  I hope the new studio works out. 

Interesting to hear about the differences in your Nutcracker.  2 places where the kids did auditions it was kids only doing the show.  The place we did it last year and where they have auditions this weekend kids are younger (5) and get the smaller roles and Clara.  Wow 16 shows.  That is a ton of shows to be in.  

Keep us posted on what happens with that.  

12 classes, wow.  I wish we had that many classes. 

This new studio is attached to a nationally well-known company, so of course they have their own adult Nutcracker with professional company dancers. They perform at a large downtown theater. They also tap kids for roles at their other professional performances sometimes. The old studio was a youth ballet and they really banged out the performances. Six of those were a shortened version geared toward younger kids. It sells out every year very early and they do three per day on a weekend - all matinees. It's bang, bang, bang. It's insanity. The other full length shows usually fill, but don't always sell out, though nearly all of them did last year. This new Nutcracker has 40 performances, including a relatively late matinee on Christmas Eve, so thank goodness we don't have to do them all if he gets a role.

Like Lady Marmalade's dd, we also have ballet until past 9:00 some days. Thank goodness I don't have to get up in the night though! Last year, my boys' schedules gave us one evening home together as a family. Now we have none except Sundays and those will go to rehearsals sometimes. So... I don't know. This is why we eat our main, cooked meal for lunch and dinner is grab and go at 10pm pretty often though. Other ds is an actor and is clearly becoming a night owl. I had to kick him off the chat with his theater friends at 10 pm last night. Sigh. A whole new world.

On 9/7/2018 at 8:51 AM, mommyoffive said:

Wow she got 4 parts?  Awesome

Our studio basically has all the girls in the top three levels (all girls have been on pointe at least one year, usually more) do Flower and Snow.  Then this group typically gets either a lead diveressment or corp an/or a doll depending on level. Of course, our highest levels get Snow Queen and Dew Drop. We usually hire out the Sugar Plum (last year being an exception).  It was a complete surprise that daughter got Harlequin Doll as she is one of the weakest dancers of this group.  She is a jokester though, and tall, so perhaps that is why.   Would it be strange to ask the director what made him choose her?  He just started at our studio this summer so we have no idea what his plans are for nutcracker.  I'm left scratching my head.  

Speaking of weak, daughter is very weak.  For someone who dances as much as she does, and for as long, she really has a weak core and arms.  Even weak for your average teen.  Anyone ever experienced this?  She sat up and walked early as a baby but the girl slouches more and more every day.  It's so very strange. 

Daughter's last dance class ends at 9pm at the latest.  We are only 7 minutes away so that's so very nice compared to last year when she'd end at 915 and it was a half hour home.  She's dancing six days a week now with rehearsal twice a week.  She does two to four hours every day.

Farrar, good luck this year.  I hope the change is good for him. 

Lady Marmalade, I hope your daughter gets the role she wants and ends on a high note and that your son gets Cavalier.  

17 hours ago, Farrar said:

So far so good today. Four classes down for the week. Eight to go.

This new studio is attached to a nationally well-known company, so of course they have their own adult Nutcracker with professional company dancers. They perform at a large downtown theater. They also tap kids for roles at their other professional performances sometimes. The old studio was a youth ballet and they really banged out the performances. Six of those were a shortened version geared toward younger kids. It sells out every year very early and they do three per day on a weekend - all matinees. It's bang, bang, bang. It's insanity. The other full length shows usually fill, but don't always sell out, though nearly all of them did last year. This new Nutcracker has 40 performances, including a relatively late matinee on Christmas Eve, so thank goodness we don't have to do them all if he gets a role.

Like Lady Marmalade's dd, we also have ballet until past 9:00 some days. Thank goodness I don't have to get up in the night though! Last year, my boys' schedules gave us one evening home together as a family. Now we have none except Sundays and those will go to rehearsals sometimes. So... I don't know. This is why we eat our main, cooked meal for lunch and dinner is grab and go at 10pm pretty often though. Other ds is an actor and is clearly becoming a night owl. I had to kick him off the chat with his theater friends at 10 pm last night. Sigh. A whole new world.

so neat to hear how the Nutcracker is done at other places.  We don't live in a huge metro area so it is different here.   40 performances!  Dang. 

Fingers crossed he gets a part. 

My kids have auditions today for the Nutcracker they really want to do.  I didn't go because it is a long day for the youngest.  Hoping it goes well for them.  We have a new artistic director that the kids are meeting today.  So it will be neat to see how this person casts people.   Fingers crossed. 

Yeah we do the late nights too now.  I have to make it work better for the youngest.  Somehow.  Luckily all the kids are dancers so we don't have to divide.  But we live so far from the school.  They just need to learn to sleep in a little in the morning, which they don't do now.  Everyone is up before 7am all the time.  But we may move closer to a school, although it makes sense to move to another one not the one they are in. Which they don't want to do.  But maybe next summer. 

In other news I think we are still doing the other dance studio this year.  The instruction isn't that good at all, but the show is really cool.  The director might be leaving next year and i doubt the show is going to be as good if she does.  So maybe one last year.  Though we are going to cut down the days.  We did 3 days last week and this year either 2 or 1.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dancingmama said:

Our studio basically has all the girls in the top three levels (all girls have been on pointe at least one year, usually more) do Flower and Snow.  Then this group typically gets either a lead diveressment or corp an/or a doll depending on level. Of course, our highest levels get Snow Queen and Dew Drop. We usually hire out the Sugar Plum (last year being an exception).  It was a complete surprise that daughter got Harlequin Doll as she is one of the weakest dancers of this group.  She is a jokester though, and tall, so perhaps that is why.   Would it be strange to ask the director what made him choose her?  He just started at our studio this summer so we have no idea what his plans are for nutcracker.  I'm left scratching my head.  

Speaking of weak, daughter is very weak.  For someone who dances as much as she does, and for as long, she really has a weak core and arms.  Even weak for your average teen.  Anyone ever experienced this?  She sat up and walked early as a baby but the girl slouches more and more every day.  It's so very strange. 

Daughter's last dance class ends at 9pm at the latest.  We are only 7 minutes away so that's so very nice compared to last year when she'd end at 915 and it was a half hour home.  She's dancing six days a week now with rehearsal twice a week.  She does two to four hours every day.

Farrar, good luck this year.  I hope the change is good for him. 

Lady Marmalade, I hope your daughter gets the role she wants and ends on a high note and that your son gets Cavalier.  

I don't know if this is something you should ask or not, but it goes through my mind too.  Why do they pick certain people for roles.  Now that I know some of the kids at our school more it will be neat to see who they choose. Although the director just started this weekend so she doesn't know any of the kids at all.  But yeah who knows the plan this year.   Plus or Nutcracker is open to kids who are not going to our school. 

Is that how it is for you guys, or do you have to be a student at your school to be in the Nutcracker? 

5 minutes ago, dancingmama said:

Good luck to your kids today.  When will the cast list Ben out?

Sometime before the 23rd.  I think last year it took a week or so.  

A little bit of a bummer in my heart about it because last year ds got Nutcracker.  I know he won't get it again.    Does that feeling happen to other moms?   He got Nutcracker this year in another show, but the doesn't want to do that one.  

55 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh another question.

Does your school or studio have more shows throughout the year for the kids?  How many? 

Old studio did Nut and a Spring Concert - Nut was for above a certain age, Spring Concert was for upper levels only (age 12+ mostly). Those shows had multiple performances, sold to the community. There was a final demo performance just for family in a local school auditorium - each class did a short dance once they're in "proper" ballet. Younger kids do an in class visit/demo. No fees for any performances. You can buy photos of Nut or Spring Concert from the professional photographer directly.

New studio does their professional Nutcracker and occasionally students can also fill small roles in other company performances. Years ago we saw their Peter Pan at the Kennedy Center and they had maybe 20 kids, but often they do more modern pieces that don't involve young performers. They do a spring concert that they sell tickets to the public. No fee for Nut or Spring Concert. They also do a proper recital, including for the pre-ballet classes. That has a fee. All classes have a visit week - even older classes. For younger classes, the visit is really controlled, but apparently for upper levels, you just drop in, so I thought that was nice.

We realized on Saturday that ds has classes at their studios TWO BLOCKS apart. I was like, what! I had to give him my umbrella for the rain. He also took the bus home and didn't get off until he was way past our house. Dh had to go to his own rehearsal late and go rescue him. Oops.

Sorry you're still at the older studio. They're young... it won't hurt them at this point, I think.

My DD is not going to do Nutcracker this year.  Last year she moved from a studio that does a very nice student production of Nutcracker.  Her current studio is much much smaller.  They typically do a small production of the Nutcracker.  This year they are partnering with a company, so there will be limited student roles.  DD decided that she would rather take a break from the Nutcracker this year.  She has done it every year since she was 5, so she (and the rest of the family!) are looking forward to a year off.  We may even take a trip in December!  We haven't been able to do that since she was a pre-schooler!  I am really looking forward to a Nutcracker-less year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I don't know if this is something you should ask or not, but it goes through my mind too.  Why do they pick certain people for roles.  Now that I know some of the kids at our school more it will be neat to see who they choose. Although the director just started this weekend so she doesn't know any of the kids at all.  But yeah who knows the plan this year.   Plus or Nutcracker is open to kids who are not going to our school. 

Is that how it is for you guys, or do you have to be a student at your school to be in the Nutcracker? 

We allow outside tryouts and we get a few but not many.

Sometime before the 23rd.  I think last year it took a week or so.  

A little bit of a bummer in my heart about it because last year ds got Nutcracker.  I know he won't get it again.    Does that feeling happen to other moms?   He got Nutcracker this year in another show, but the doesn't want to do that one.  

I have not but but I can see it could happen. I do try to remember that every show is so different.  Our Clara/Nutcracker have been young girls (last year she was 9 or 10) or young adults (this year our Clara are older teens although our Nutcracker is the same boy).  Our Chinese girls this year are super young while last year they were much older girls.  

Oh another question.

Does your school or studio have more shows throughout the year for the kids?  How many? 

Our studio does Nutcracker, only one day, two shows for students, then three shows for the public over the weekend.

Then we do a Spring show for the public, usually something like Cinderella, although last year it was a variety type show with Broadway hits, a bit of Swan Lake, and bits and pieces of all styles.  I don't know yet what we are doing.  It's only for the highest levels, pre-pointe and up, I think. Daughter has never done this show but she will this year. 

We then have a regular end of year recital, one dance for each level and style. 

1 hour ago, edelweiss said:

My DD is not going to do Nutcracker this year.  Last year she moved from a studio that does a very nice student production of Nutcracker.  Her current studio is much much smaller.  They typically do a small production of the Nutcracker.  This year they are partnering with a company, so there will be limited student roles.  DD decided that she would rather take a break from the Nutcracker this year.  She has done it every year since she was 5, so she (and the rest of the family!) are looking forward to a year off.  We may even take a trip in December!  We haven't been able to do that since she was a pre-schooler!  I am really looking forward to a Nutcracker-less year.

OH I bet that would be nice to take a break.  This is only our second  year and some weeks I am ready to take a break of it already.  Ha.  I was a bit upset about doing it last year as the stars met and we would have been able to travel for a good month or more.  Oh well.  The kids voted to do the show. 

• Like 1

Old studio did Nut and a Spring Concert - Nut was for above a certain age, Spring Concert was for upper levels only (age 12+ mostly). Those shows had multiple performances, sold to the community. There was a final demo performance just for family in a local school auditorium - each class did a short dance once they're in "proper" ballet. Younger kids do an in class visit/demo. No fees for any performances. You can buy photos of Nut or Spring Concert from the professional photographer directly.

New studio does their professional Nutcracker and occasionally students can also fill small roles in other company performances. Years ago we saw their Peter Pan at the Kennedy Center and they had maybe 20 kids, but often they do more modern pieces that don't involve young performers. They do a spring concert that they sell tickets to the public. No fee for Nut or Spring Concert. They also do a proper recital, including for the pre-ballet classes. That has a fee. All classes have a visit week - even older classes. For younger classes, the visit is really controlled, but apparently for upper levels, you just drop in, so I thought that was nice.

We realized on Saturday that ds has classes at their studios TWO BLOCKS apart. I was like, what! I had to give him my umbrella for the rain. He also took the bus home and didn't get off until he was way past our house. Dh had to go to his own rehearsal late and go rescue him. Oops.

Sorry you're still at the older studio. They're young... it won't hurt them at this point, I think.

Ours has a fee for Nutcracker.  The other really big ballet school that I wanted them to try and switch to doesn't charge fees to be in any of their shows and they have more.  But the kids love the ballet master there and have friends.  The recital fee is really large. This is not a student show it is with a company and the kids just fill in the smaller roles.  Some of the really higher girls are snow and flower but that is about it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ours has a fee for Nutcracker.  The other really big ballet school that I wanted them to try and switch to doesn't charge fees to be in any of their shows and they have more.  But the kids love the ballet master there and have friends.  The recital fee is really large. This is not a student show it is with a company and the kids just fill in the smaller roles.  Some of the really higher girls are snow and flower but that is about it. 

A fee for the recital makes sense to me because it’s for families and students. Fee for Nut is crazy to me - it’s how they make money, by selling tickets. I guess this depends... I know some studios do a little show mostly for families. But all the ones we’ve been involved with have been things random people attend - they’re not for the families, they’re fundraising events. Because this new studio is attached to a company, it would be extra weird to get charged. When ds has done small roles for visiting pro companies, it’s the other way around - he’s been paid for his time on stage. The best was when he got to be on stage with Misty Copeland. I tease him that his career peaked at age 10.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

A fee for the recital makes sense to me because it’s for families and students. Fee for Nut is crazy to me - it’s how they make money, by selling tickets. I guess this depends... I know some studios do a little show mostly for families. But all the ones we’ve been involved with have been things random people attend - they’re not for the families, they’re fundraising events. Because this new studio is attached to a company, it would be extra weird to get charged. When ds has done small roles for visiting pro companies, it’s the other way around - he’s been paid for his time on stage. The best was when he got to be on stage with Misty Copeland. I tease him that his career peaked at age 10.

Say what?  He gets paid?  I think we need to move.  He was onstage with Misty Copeland!!!!  Amazing.  Amazing. 

The end of the year show not a real show.  I think they practice for 2 days and simple costumes if any.  We didn't do it last year.  No fee. 

But there is a fee for Nutcracker.  Last year I had 4 kids and my dh in it and the fee (including the audition fee) was $800.    See why I want them to switch to the other ballet school? They don't charge for being in their shows.  Both schools are attached to a company.  And this Nutcracker is not for families it is their fundraising event.  

Wow, my eyes are really opening.  I wish I would have made the kids switch to the other studio over the summer.

Does it sound dumb that I am still there?  The other studio is a dance studio that is attached to a park and rec.  The director has some good experience, but my kids said they really don't learn much there.  And it is true.  They learned more in a few months at the ballet school than in 2 years there. But the show is awesome and the classes are cheap.  I am only willing to commute to the ballet school 3 days a week this year, so we would be going to the other place the days we are not there.  It is only 20 mins away.   Just gives them some extra days of dance and the chance to do a cool show. 

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Say what?  He gets paid?  I think we need to move.  He was onstage with Misty Copeland!!!!  Amazing.  Amazing. 

The end of the year show not a real show.  I think they practice for 2 days and simple costumes if any.  We didn't do it last year.  No fee. 

But there is a fee for Nutcracker.  Last year I had 4 kids and my dh in it and the fee (including the audition fee) was $800.    See why I want them to switch to the other ballet school? They don't charge for being in their shows.  Both schools are attached to a company.  And this Nutcracker is not for families it is their fundraising event.  

Wow, my eyes are really opening.  I wish I would have made the kids switch to the other studio over the summer.

$200 each to do Nutcracker seems completely out of control to me. Honestly, if a studio can’t support a Nutcracker people from the community want to attend, then it’s probably not a great studio or it’s not in a dense enough population area. Either way, that’s okay - small studios are fine! But do a winter concert with pared down costuming and some Nut scenes and charge a minimal fee to cover the venue. That’s just way too much.

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Does it sound dumb that I am still there?  The other studio is a dance studio that is attached to a park and rec.  The director has some good experience, but my kids said they really don't learn much there.  And it is true.  They learned more in a few months at the ballet school than in 2 years there. But the show is awesome and the classes are cheap.  I am only willing to commute to the ballet school 3 days a week this year, so we would be going to the other place the days we are not there.  It is only 20 mins away.   Just gives them some extra days of dance and the chance to do a cool show. 

I don’t know... it’s hard for me to compare because we’ve only been at more serious studios and we’re in an urban area so there’s lots to choose from. I think I wouldn’t spend time on anywhere with fees that eye raising or where my kids weren’t learning. But... it’s all context, ya know? 

16 minutes ago, Farrar said:

$200 each to do Nutcracker seems completely out of control to me. Honestly, if a studio can’t support a Nutcracker people from the community want to attend, then it’s probably not a great studio or it’s not in a dense enough population area. Either way, that’s okay - small studios are fine! But do a winter concert with pared down costuming and some Nut scenes and charge a minimal fee to cover the venue. That’s just way too much.

Thank you for educating me on this.  The kids are not going to like my thoughts when we they get home.  It is not a very dense population area for sure. The other really big ballet school has a much bigger population area, the city is much bigger as are the cities around it.  Just looked it up and bigger city is almost 3 times the size of the smaller one.   And the size of their studio shows it.  They have 4 locations and they have 800 students.  The one we go to has 1 location and about 100 students.  

We haven't had a lot of luck with smaller studios.  We have asked around and people are not happy with some.  The teachers are not all that qualified at some that we have looked into.   Maybe I should keep looking.  Or just make them switch to other one.  

Is it even crazier that you still have to pay for tickets to the Nutcracker too?!  After you pay for the fee. 

Edited by mommyoffive

19 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I don’t know... it’s hard for me to compare because we’ve only been at more serious studios and we’re in an urban area so there’s lots to choose from. I think I wouldn’t spend time on anywhere with fees that eye raising or where my kids weren’t learning. But... it’s all context, ya know? 

Yeah there isn't much to choose from for us.  We are not urban.  We have the local park and rec (5 mins away) and it was just pretty badly run a few years ago.  There are a few places within 20 mins.   Some are more competition based, some are rather expensive for the type of studio they are.  Not to say that where we go now isn't really expensive.  But most really quality places are an hour away. 

But this place is cheap. Say $145 for the year.  So it is more of a keep them busy thing and let them be in a fun show.  I guess they learn some, but just not as much as the other place.  They did know enough to get parts in the Nutcracker last year just from going there.  But nothing like what they have learned going to the Ballet school. 

Just talked to dh and there were a lot more kids at the audition this year compared to last year.  UGH.  Not good.   I think their might be multiple casts of some things that they didn't have last year.  

Heard some really positive things about one of my dds from the second in command person.  That was nice. 

Edited by mommyoffive

Thank you for educating me on this.  The kids are not going to like my thoughts when we they get home.  It is not a very dense population area for sure. The other really big ballet school has a much bigger population area, the city is much bigger as are the cities around it.  Just looked it up and bigger city is almost 3 times the size of the smaller one.   And the size of their studio shows it.  They have 4 locations and they have 800 students.  The one we go to has 1 location and about 100 students.  

We haven't had a lot of luck with smaller studios.  We have asked around and people are not happy with some.  The teachers are not all that qualified at some that we have looked into.   Maybe I should keep looking.  Or just make them switch to other one.  

Is it even crazier that you still have to pay for tickets to the Nutcracker too?!  After you pay for the fee. 

Okay, so the next post though... that's what I mean about context. When you incorporate that it's $145 for the whole year!!! That's per kid? All classes? Even one yearlong class for that much is blowing my mind. That would maybe be the sort of amount we could find a cute preschool rec class for if we scoured (it still looks like about what half a year at a rec center might be), but not an actual studio. At ds's level - being taught by company dancers and longtime teachers and having 12 full classes per week - the base tuition is in the thousands. But, again, urban area, high cost of living, plus it's a prestige studio (I wish we were somewhere smaller, but... not in the cards yet). Anyway, knowing that... that's got to be bare bones, even in a low col area. So maybe they need to charge more fees. I don't know. That's just so different from anything I've seen.

I still think it seems high... I mean, if it's the only Nut around and you have a good venue and a few performances, then it *should* come close to breaking even for the studio - at least, that's what I would expect from what I know. But in order to get there, you have to have a good costume mistress or have managed expectations on costumes and either way, you have to build up your costume shop over time. Same with sets and lights - the longer a studio has done the same Nut, the cheaper it ideally should be because those really expensive costumes are reused over and over. You have to have cheap space available (though I'd think in a low col area, that would be a cinch). But at least knowing that the classes are beyond cheap puts it in context.

I don't know. Your kids are relatively young, right?... so I don't think it matters as long as they're not being damaged by teaching and you're reasonably happy with the experience. I think by between age 10-12, you want to be somewhere serious if it's going to be a passion for them. It's okay if they stay at rec league though. It's tricky for boys... there are no boys doing dance "for fun" and so we ended up in this very pre-pro situation when ds is maybe not ever going to be good enough to live up to this level of training. But he wants it so, so much. So then it's hard to say no... even when the tuition hurts.

6 hours ago, Farrar said:

Okay, so the next post though... that's what I mean about context. When you incorporate that it's $145 for the whole year!!! That's per kid? All classes? Even one yearlong class for that much is blowing my mind. That would maybe be the sort of amount we could find a cute preschool rec class for if we scoured (it still looks like about what half a year at a rec center might be), but not an actual studio. At ds's level - being taught by company dancers and longtime teachers and having 12 full classes per week - the base tuition is in the thousands. But, again, urban area, high cost of living, plus it's a prestige studio (I wish we were somewhere smaller, but... not in the cards yet). Anyway, knowing that... that's got to be bare bones, even in a low col area. So maybe they need to charge more fees. I don't know. That's just so different from anything I've seen.

I still think it seems high... I mean, if it's the only Nut around and you have a good venue and a few performances, then it *should* come close to breaking even for the studio - at least, that's what I would expect from what I know. But in order to get there, you have to have a good costume mistress or have managed expectations on costumes and either way, you have to build up your costume shop over time. Same with sets and lights - the longer a studio has done the same Nut, the cheaper it ideally should be because those really expensive costumes are reused over and over. You have to have cheap space available (though I'd think in a low col area, that would be a cinch). But at least knowing that the classes are beyond cheap puts it in context.

I don't know. Your kids are relatively young, right?... so I don't think it matters as long as they're not being damaged by teaching and you're reasonably happy with the experience. I think by between age 10-12, you want to be somewhere serious if it's going to be a passion for them. It's okay if they stay at rec league though. It's tricky for boys... there are no boys doing dance "for fun" and so we ended up in this very pre-pro situation when ds is maybe not ever going to be good enough to live up to this level of training. But he wants it so, so much. So then it's hard to say no... even when the tuition hurts.

Sorry to be confusing.  The place that charges $145 for the year is not the same place that they auditioned for Nutcracker today.  The cheap place is a studio that is attached to a park and rec.  Most classes are $145-$180 for the year.  24 week year.  6 shows in the winter, 2 in the spring.  Includes the $30 towards costumes, tickets to the show.  I know pointe is the only expensive one that is $300 a year for 48 classes. 

They auditioned for a few Nutcrackers this year. But the one that is at their Ballet school charges the high fee.  Fees for classes are high to me.  Based on I was used to the park and rec prices. But prices here are in the low $200s a month for level 2 and go up from there. 

Park and rec - cheap classes

Ballet school- expensive to be in Nutcracker

My oldest is 12.5 years old.  Next is a 10 year old boy.  He is the reason that I started looking to change.  He had some friends awhile back in the park and rec stuff, but he needed a place that valued him and would also teach him as a male.  That is how we ended up a place that turns them pro too.  If we had only girls we probably would have never even looked to another place and just stayed at the cheap park and rec place. But they love dance and all think they want to be pros.  I have no clue if that can happen for them, but I am going to do anything I can to let them try. 

Yeah I don't know why they charge so much or what is going on.  But again it is eye opening to be told how it is some other places.  The are only 2 other places around me that I know don't charge to be in their shows.  Everyone else does.  Most a lot less than the ballet school they go to.  A  LOOOOOT less.

Anyhow.  

Both younger dds got recognized today for doing great.  They have a very awesome teacher wanting to work with them.  One dd won't get the role she wants only based on size.  It is for 10-14 year olds and she is 7.  But they said she is good enough to do it.  That is really awesome to hear.  They have only been at this ballet school for 6 months.  We joined last January. 

I think ds did ok.  He really hasn't said much about himself. 

The oldest dd.  This may mean nothing and she may not get the role.  Who the heck knows.   But I think it means that she did great and that should be enough.  And if the other girls who she was with get the roles than wow for her. 

She was in her audition and first they did the whole big group and boys and girls.  Than just girls.  Than a smaller group of girls.  Than a group of 10 girls, which included the Clara from last year.  She got to every round. After that last group of 10, they called up 3 girls to size them.  She was in that group of 3. Said nothing.   Ahhhh.  Anyhow I am so proud of her for making it to the end. So damn proud.  I am focusing on that.  Again she is up with girls who have danced at this ballet school since they were 3.  She has grown so much in the last year.  Heck the last few months.  So happy for her and proud of her.  So now I have to do the hardest part of being a dance mom.  Waiting. ?

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

She was in her audition and first they did the whole big group and boys and girls.  Than just girls.  Than a smaller group of girls.  Than a group of 10 girls, which included the Clara from last year.  She got to every round. After that last group of 10, they called up 3 girls to size them.  She was in that group of 3. Said nothing.   Ahhhh.  Anyhow I am so proud of her for making it to the end. So damn proud.  I am focusing on that.  Again she is up with girls who have danced at this ballet school since they were 3.  She has grown so much in the last year.  Heck the last few months.  So happy for her and proud of her.  So now I have to do the hardest part of being a dance mom.  Waiting. ?

Ah, I see. I think I was thinking your oldest was about 10. Hm... I'm no expert, but when you hear about "bad studios" I think the worst thing isn't the prices, it's when the studio is teaching bad technique or has a really toxic culture. But it's hard for me to know what would be bad technique. That's more realistic in terms of prices. I still think that sounds like a lot to charge for a performance. If a studio needs to charge that much, something seems off to me - it sounds like maybe they're overspending and nickel and diming you on stupid stuff or getting pointless costumes or whatever - basically putting on an unsustainable performance for some reason. But I know how it is with the money. We spend SO MUCH for dance (for BalletBoy) and theater (for Mushroom). But it makes them happy I love seeing them perform. I hope your dd gets an amazing role!

We have a costume fee for Nut. I think it's about $100. We are in a small urban area and only do one weekend of shows. The fee goes to making sets and replacing costumes and cleaning them.  Of daughter's four costumes, she will need new pants for one costume and a new unitard for another costume.  

Daughter danced for a park and rec studio for a couple of years when she was young.  It was definitely more expensive than what you are paying.  I'll be honest and say I regret starting her there. She has sooo many bad habits that she still has to fight with herself to fix.  

56 minutes ago, dancingmama said:

We have a costume fee for Nut. I think it's about $100. We are in a small urban area and only do one weekend of shows. The fee goes to making sets and replacing costumes and cleaning them.  Of daughter's four costumes, she will need new pants for one costume and a new unitard for another costume.  

Daughter danced for a park and rec studio for a couple of years when she was young.  It was definitely more expensive than what you are paying.  I'll be honest and say I regret starting her there. She has sooo many bad habits that she still has to fight with herself to fix.  

I think that is a great thought on it.  Since I am not a dancer, I do ask the kids what they think of those classes.  They haven't told me that they have learned the wrong things so I guess that is good?  But yeah they are not learning what they are doing at the ballet school.  I doubt we will stay that much longer.  

9 hours ago, Farrar said:

Ah, I see. I think I was thinking your oldest was about 10. Hm... I'm no expert, but when you hear about "bad studios" I think the worst thing isn't the prices, it's when the studio is teaching bad technique or has a really toxic culture. But it's hard for me to know what would be bad technique. That's more realistic in terms of prices. I still think that sounds like a lot to charge for a performance. If a studio needs to charge that much, something seems off to me - it sounds like maybe they're overspending and nickel and diming you on stupid stuff or getting pointless costumes or whatever - basically putting on an unsustainable performance for some reason. But I know how it is with the money. We spend SO MUCH for dance (for BalletBoy) and theater (for Mushroom). But it makes them happy I love seeing them perform. I hope your dd gets an amazing role!

Yeah I don't know about the money part.  I don't know what is really going on with that part of the studio.  It isn't $200 per kid it is much higher.  Anyhow.  You have opened my eyes. It will be something for me to think about.  Thanks for talking about it.  I know nothing about dance and what should be done.  I really appreciate everyone posting thoughts on all the silly questions I am asking.  

Is there an easier way to find out about auditions for shows?  I just go on the websites for each school or studio, but I was wondering if there was something smarter than this. 

Do your kids do private lessons in addition to normal classes?  What age did you start doing this?  Was there a reason you should start doing it?