Menu

Hugh Jackman and The Greatest Showman

sheryl

This movie came out in December, maybe. (?)

DD and I saw it this past Monday and WOW!  From a theatrical standpoint (no expert here, just seems to me to be common sense) this movies was spectacular!

I had no idea Hugh Jackman could sing, dance and now produce a movie!  I think of him as Wolverine only.  What are some of his other good movie roles?

The acting, singing and dancing were just so over the top.  And, his voice is SO GOOD!

We're going back to see it again and take dh with us this time! :)  

On another note, has anyone seen The Post?  Streep and Hanks - that alone makes me want to see it. 

• Like 4

Loved Jackman in Les Miserables (though having to listen to Russell Crowe sing was not fun). 

I saw The Post and as expected, Streep was brilliant.  I didn't like it as much as I thought I would but that could easily be that I saw it early in the morning and not with dh- I went with my dad and sister and it was just...different. 

• Like 2

I love the musical Oklahoma! (having studied it minutely in a fantastic music class in 7th or 8th grade), and was rather wary to see the movie version in which Hugh Jackman plays Curly; I had only seen local stage versions. But he had me at "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning." The man can sing!!!

(I bought the Hugh Jackman Oklahoma! DVD ... :) )

(I've never seen Wolverine. I did see Les Mis but only remember Russell Crowe  :001_wub:  :blink:  :confused:  :smilielol5: )

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 3

I saw The Greatest Showman twice in a weekend. I went with a friend, then told my mom and sister that we HAD to go see it together. 
I liked him in The Prestige and Real Steel. One of my guilty pleasures is Someone Like You. Critics hated it, but it's a fun brainless chic-flick. All are TOTALLY different than TGS or the Wolverine roles he's played, but still good. 
Just don't watch Australia. That was painful. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

I love the musical Oklahoma! (having studied it minutely in a fantastic music class in 7th or 8th grade), and was rather wary to see the movie version in which Hugh Jackman plays Curly; I had only seen local stage versions. But he had me at "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning." The man can sing!!!

(I've never seen Wolverine. I did see Les Mis but only remember Russell Crowe  :001_wub:  :blink:  :confused:  :smilielol5: )

He was the wolverine in the series, right?  I didn't really watch it, just know of it.

Yes, the man can sing!  LOVE HIS VOICE!  I would listen to the song he sings in Oklahoma but can not stand the movie. I'll see if I can find it on youtube. 

• Like 2

I saw The Greatest Showman twice in a weekend. I went with a friend, then told my mom and sister that we HAD to go see it together. 

I liked him in The Prestige and Real Steel. One of my guilty pleasures is Someone Like You. Critics hated it, but it's a fun brainless chic-flick. All are TOTALLY different than TGS or the Wolverine roles he's played, but still good. 

Just don't watch Australia. That was painful. 

Thanks for the picks!  Australia with Nicole Kidman?  I did see it years ago and would like to see it again b/c I don't remember it.  What's the deal with it?

LOL, that's about where we are - we saw it this past Monday and we're ready to go back NOW to see it again.  DD is going to buy the soundtrack.  :)

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 1

I love the musical Oklahoma! (having studied it minutely in a fantastic music class in 7th or 8th grade), and was rather wary to see the movie version in which Hugh Jackman plays Curly; I had only seen local stage versions. But he had me at "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning." The man can sing!!!

(I bought the Hugh Jackman Oklahoma! DVD ... :) )

(I've never seen Wolverine. I did see Les Mis but only remember Russell Crowe :001_wub: :blink: :confused: :smilielol5: )

I did not know Hugh Jackman did a version of Oklahoma! I love that movie **nostalgia intensifies**

• Like 2

We LOVED The Greatest Showman!!! 23 yo DD went and saw it again last weekend.  We are planning on buying the DVD when it comes out, but it was so wonderful seeing it on the big screen.

He was Gaston in Beauty and the Beast on Broadway.  You can see video of him in that role on YouTube.  He also sang and danced while hosting the Tony Awards several times.  I believe he may have won an Emmy for that.

He is one seriously talented man!  Check this out about The Greatest Showman -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PluaPvhkIMU

Edited by Mary in VA
  • Like 4

Funny story:

My kids are both theatre nerds and grew up loving/watching a ton of musical theatre. My son loved Oklahoma, in particular, when he was young; he owned the DVD of Hugh Jackman's performance and watched it over and over. 

We also watch the Tony Awards as a family event the way other folks watch the Super Bowl. We saw Hugh Jackman perform on and host the show a number of times. So, Hugh Jackman, Musical Theatre Performer, is a well-known celebrity in my home.

When the first Wolverine flick was about to be released, my son kept hearing preview and what-not mentioning that Hugh Jackman was in the movie, and it took him quite a while to figure out that it was the same guy. He simply had no frame of reference for Hugh Jackman as a movie star.

(With that said, neither my son nor his girlfriend especially liked The Greatest Showman. They were excited to see it and went opening weekend or thereabouts, but both felt the music was derivative. And my son was bothered by the many historical inaccuracies. I'm still looking forward to seeing it, but on the strength of their recommendation, I've decided to wait for the DVD from Redbox.)

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 2

I love the Tonys where he did a duet with Neil Patrick Harris of Everything You Can Do I Can Do Better.  Very funny.

I haven't seen the Greatest Showman yet.  Dd wanted to go with me and we haven't been able to coordinate schedules. I have a feeling she's going to end up seeing it with friends and I'll have to get it from Redbox.

• Like 3

I loved it!  A little too much autotune on the singing, though maybe it was necessary (looking at you Russell Crowe, Les Mis).  Enjoyed it a bunch though.  We went home and did all sorts of research on the back story and what elements were true and which were not. 

• Like 2

I'm not normally into those type of movies but I heard it was good so I took dd.  LOVED it!!  I went back 3 days later with DD and DH to see it again.  I've been listening to the soundtrack daily HAHAHA  It's simply awesome.  I saw a video of rehearsal where he wasn't supposed to sing due to skin cancer surgery recovery but he was so emotionally overwhelmed he joined in for the last song anyway.  He clearly loves to sing!!  I was impressed by a lot in this movie.  I have it on pre-order to purchase...my poor family.  

Edited by tess in the burbs
  • Like 3

Thanks for the picks!  Australia with Nicole Kidman?  I did see it years ago and would like to see it again b/c I don't remember it.  What's the deal with it?

LOL, that's about where we are - we saw it this past Monday and we're ready to go back NOW to see it again.  DD is going to buy the soundtrack.  :)

Yes, that one. 

I just hated it. lol It was so slow and just strange cinematography thanks to directing by Baz Luhrmann. 

Michael Gracey (who directed The Greatest Showman) was inspired by Baz Luhrmann, but I think his technique is a lot more fluid. Baz Luhrmann's tends to be more....manic. I didn't even really care for Romeo and Juliet (Claire Danes and Leo DiCaprio) because of the directing and that was in the years of Leo love! lol 

• Like 1

Yes, that one.

I just hated it. lol It was so slow and just strange cinematography thanks to directing by Baz Luhrmann.

Michael Gracey (who directed The Greatest Showman) was inspired by Baz Luhrmann, but I think his technique is a lot more fluid. Baz Luhrmann's tends to be more....manic. I didn't even really care for Romeo and Juliet (Claire Danes and Leo DiCaprio) because of the directing and that was in the years of Leo love! lol

OK, thanks Mary. Yes, Australia was a slooow movie. At !east some of it and may explain why I didn't finish watching it. Lol. I may try again.

Yep, I REALLY like Hugh. Will be taking linked y'all gave me to track this man down and watch more of his work.

What a brilliant singer!!!

Jackman's a Tony award winner and has also hosted the Tonys a few times. He was singing and dancing before he was Wolverine and even before he was Jean Valjean. :)

My kids were actually in the audience for that Tony Awards show.

They went with a group of other theatre kids and sat in the back row of the last balcony, but they were there.

• Like 7

I was inspired by this thread to go see this, and I have to say I loved it!

I'm not a huge movie theater person, but it was pretty awesome to see in a theater.   I went with my 14 year old and my DH.   I don't think my DH particularly liked it, but my teen loved it.

• Like 3

DH & I saw it earlier today and my 2 oldest are at the theater right now. I did warn my DH that it was a musical because he doesn't like musicals. Funny thing he said after that he didn't realize that Hugh Jackman could sing so well.  :lol:  

I warned my DH beforehand too; I wasn't joking when I said there were NO LIGHT SABERS!   

• Like 5

Yes, that one.

And suddenly this musical makes so much more sense to me.

As I watched it, I thought it felt very similar to Moulin Rouge, which is one of my absolute favorites. It evoked similar emotions from me...Only Greatest Showman is obviously way more family friendly. I was surprised when the credits rolled and Baz Luhrmann was nowhere to be found. Now knowing that he was an inspiration makes so much more sense to me.

• Like 4

I couldn't get that movie out of my system until I saw it three times.  Once was certainly not enough.  Twice was almost enough.  The third time I felt like I could move on with my life.  :laugh:

I didn't take DH to see it because he doesn't enjoy going out to the movies, though I really wish he would go.  But he has ADHD and sitting still doing only one thing, like watching a movie in a theater, drives him bonkers and I won't force the issue.  He likes watching movies at home when he can putter around when the movie is on.  When it comes out to buy at home, he'll watch it then, though I don't think it'll be nearly as much fun as on the big screen.  

My kids had to see it twice.  Once was just not enough for them either (never,...never...,never enough...).  And they keep asking me, "We're going to buy that movie to watch at home, right?"  Yes!  

I got the soundtrack and whenever I play it, the boys gravitate from wherever they are in the house to be in the room where I have it on. Well, until last week.  Last week my oldest (who also has ADHD) heard me start to play the soundtrack and burst into the room to said, "No!  NO!  I can't listen to that anymore!  It's ruining my life!  I just got those songs out of my head and I can't let them back it!  Once they're in my head I cannot get them out and I cannot study!"  Poor kid. :)

• Like 7

I didn't much like the film.  The music didn't do anything for me and the dance numbers didn't thrill either.  I also found it very jarring to have a character introduced as a great opera singer then come out with a run-of-the-mill show tune.

I like Jackman though - he always looks as if he is throwing himself completely into roles - I've only seen him in this and in Les Miserables.

• Like 3

I couldn't get that movie out of my system until I saw it three times.  Once was certainly not enough.  Twice was almost enough.  The third time I felt like I could move on with my life.  :laugh:

I didn't take DH to see it because he doesn't enjoy going out to the movies, though I really wish he would go.  But he has ADHD and sitting still doing only one thing, like watching a movie in a theater, drives him bonkers and I won't force the issue.  He likes watching movies at home when he can putter around when the movie is on.  When it comes out to buy at home, he'll watch it then, though I don't think it'll be nearly as much fun as on the big screen.  

My kids had to see it twice.  Once was just not enough for them either (never,...never...,never enough...).  And they keep asking me, "We're going to buy that movie to watch at home, right?"  Yes!  

I got the soundtrack and whenever I play it, the boys gravitate from wherever they are in the house to be in the room where I have it on. Well, until last week.  Last week my oldest (who also has ADHD) heard me start to play the soundtrack and burst into the room to said, "No!  NO!  I can't listen to that anymore!  It's ruining my life!  I just got those songs out of my head and I can't let them back it!  Once they're in my head I cannot get them out and I cannot study!"  Poor kid. :)

Great! 

It definitely owes a lot to Baz L.

I did love it.  BUT.  Here are some criticisms:

I did think --- don't hate me --- that Michelle Williams seemed to old to play young Mrs. Barnum.  And he is obviously 10+ years older.   But, there is a lot of suspension of disbelief necessary for this film.

I really, really liked it.  It is ODD, though. Like the character the circus performers are based on are largely real people -- who did not have awesome lives, or anthems about empowerment.  I don't know how to feel about that exactly.  

• Like 6

I agree about the age issue with Jackman and Williams, but I'm willing to ignore that.  It did bother me that the actress playing Jenny Lind was clearly not trained as a singer - way too much visible stress in her neck.  However, the singer doing the voice-over for her sang well, and I loved the song, so I'm willing to overlook that it was the wrong musical style (not opera) and that the voice-over singer was a mezzo.  Mostly, I'm just thrilled that they got some people involved who could really sing.  The last Pasek and Paul show I saw was La-La-Land, and I wasn't impressed at all.  (ETA:  Correction - Wikipedia says they just wrote the lyrics for that show, not the music.)  Their songs are too good to be performed by people who aren't really singers.  

Edited by klmama
  • Like 4

I actually read that Jenny Lind's big number was dubbed.  That actresss did a great job and can sing but to play Jenny Lind they hired a phenomenal vocalist

I think having her sing an Adele-esque song, in an Adele-esque register, was the right choice to convey "greatest singer in the world" to modern audience.

• Like 3

I actually read that Jenny Lind's big number was dubbed. That actresss did a great job and can sing but to play Jenny Lind they hired a phenomenal vocalist

I think having her sing an Adele-esque song, in an Adele-esque register, was the right choice to convey "greatest singer in the world" to modern audience.

I agree. That was my favorite scene..

There was a lot of suspension of disbelief for this movie, but I was ok with that because it’s a musical. Musicals are like fantasy for people who don’t normally like fantasy. Like, oh yeah, that dragon talks and elves are immortals and the people exploited in the circus sing empowerment songs and the kids never age. It was like watching The Pirates of Penzance or some other musical like that—they’re not meant to be too deep. Musicals like this are the cotton candy of movies and they’re just for fun.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 6

I actually read that Jenny Lind's big number was dubbed. That actresss did a great job and can sing but to play Jenny Lind they hired a phenomenal vocalist

Yes - the actress and the vocalist were different. I agree that while I would have loved to see an operatic performance by the real Jenny Lind, the song from this movie's Jenny Lind *character* was right on target for the film style.

• Like 4

Love love LOVE The Greatest Showman!!! My three girls and I have seen it 3 times (2 regular showings and 1 sing a long showing) and have it pre-ordered on DVD. We know every song on the soundtrack! Now we’re about to do a study on the real life PT Barnum! (The movie was very very loosely based upon his life, from the biography I’ve been reading). We were just saying today that we’d love to see a live musical of The Greatest Showman.

You should watch some of the auditions and “green light†tapings of rehearsals. They’re on YouTube. Watching Keala Settle get emotional while singing This Is Me and then seeing Hugh Jackman get emotional right along with her was so touching! And then seeing Hugh Jackman get up and sing From Now On, even though he’d just had surgery and had instructions from his doctor to refrain from singing, Hugh just couldn’t resist getting into the song. Love it!! (He then went promptly back to the doctor to redo the stitches).

• Like 2

I agree about the age issue with Jackman and Williams, but I'm willing to ignore that.  It did bother me that the actress playing Jenny Lind was clearly not trained as a singer - way too much visible stress in her neck.  However, the singer doing the voice-over for her sang well, and I loved the song, so I'm willing to overlook that it was the wrong musical style (not opera) and that the voice-over singer was a mezzo.  Mostly, I'm just thrilled that they got some people involved who could really sing.  The last Pasek and Paul show I saw was La-La-Land, and I wasn't impressed at all.  Their songs are too good to be performed by people who aren't really singers.

What?! I'm so naive.

• Like 1

I watched the link for HJ and NPH!  Too funny!  GOOD! 

And, I had no idea (as another pp posted) that the singer did not actually sing.  How do y'all actually know this?  :)

Garga, I agree with your assessment.  This is a musical and loosely based on PTB's life.  I really like movies based on real life the best.  This gave a glimpse into the man even if very generalized.

• Like 1

I watched the link for HJ and NPH!  Too funny!  GOOD! 

And, I had no idea (as another pp posted) that the singer did not actually sing.  How do y'all actually know this?  :)

Garga, I agree with your assessment.  This is a musical and loosely based on PTB's life.  I really like movies based on real life the best.  This gave a glimpse into the man even if very generalized.

The actual singer was a contestant on The Voice and has talked about the experience on Twitter etc - she is thrilled to be a part of it.

I usually read the IMDB trivia page after I watch a movie I like.  You learn fun tidbits. Like, the fellow who played Tom Thumb was too tall for the role, so he made most of the movie walking on his knees!

• Like 1

The actual singer was a contestant on The Voice and has talked about the experience on Twitter etc - she is thrilled to be a part of it.

I usually read the IMDB trivia page after I watch a movie I like.  You learn fun tidbits. Like, the fellow who played Tom Thumb was too tall for the role, so he made most of the movie walking on his knees!

That's interesting!  Thanks for that!  I had no idea about the singer.  So, the actress lip-sang the song?  The actress mouthed she was singing and the actual singer was another woman? 

Yes. The hired the actress for her acting (and, I assume, Swedish appearance.... she is Swedish), then got a "ringer" to do the vocal for the showstopper. .

The other actors were not dubbed.   Hugh Jackman and Kathy Settle (bearded lady) are Broadway singers.  Zac Ephron and Zendaya (trapeze artist) are Disney channel pop singers.

Yes. The hired the actress for her acting (and, I assume, Swedish appearance.... she is Swedish), then got a "ringer" to do the vocal for the showstopper. .

The other actors were not dubbed.   Hugh Jackman and Kathy Settle (bearded lady) are Broadway singers.  Zac Ephron and Zendaya (trapeze artist) are Disney channel pop singers.

Appreciate it!  My dd likes both Zac and Zendaya.  I'm now a HUGE Hugh Jackman fan!  I heard Kathy S on you tube, I think.  I'm going to have fun finding more videos of the cast!  :)  Thanks for all the infol!