Menu

What are your kids doing this summer?

mommyoffive

I think I posted this last year.  Ha

I know it is still winter, but I am so over winter today. 

What are your kids doing this summer? 

I am kind of bored of the things we have done in the past, so I want to do something new this year.  

We have done summer school with the public school.  Which here is all fun enrichment classes.  We have done 2 summers of laid back summer with either just swim team or swim team and dance. 

Oldest is probably going to stay at college and do a full quarter of school.  We aren't 100% sure about that yet.

Middle is going to be getting ready for college once he figures out where he is going!

Youngest is going to summer camp.  Not sure what else.

I will be traveling.  I need to make a trip to Seattle, Spokane, and Arizona.  I may hit CA in there too, not sure.  And I will be going to Savannah if oldest is staying down there for the summer.  

We have a lot of ideas, but nothing nailed down yet or paid for.  Our lease is up end of June.  We have discussed for a year about moving closer to DH's work.  

So for now, we are camping in mid June.  May move late June.  Until we decide about the move July is wide open.  (hope to decide early May)  DS is applying to YCC at Yellowstone and we will know if he gets in by April.  DD will do a horse camp in mid August.  

I'd like to see DS get a job if he doesn't do YCC.  Again, can't do it until we decide about the move since it would be at least 30 min from here.  And DS doesn't drive, so if we don't move close to shops or a bus line I don't know he could work.  

Yep, it's a mess waiting on this decision.  

June is taken up with dance and ½ days of school. July has scout camp and family travel. Then in August we start back into school. DH gets depressed when I talk like this, he feels like the dinner is as good as over already. I'm planner, it helps me enjoy the here and now when I know what is coming.

• Like 1

Mostly summer camps.  I've got most of the summer figured out.  Waiting for info / wisdom on some of it.

• Day camps - a mix of culture, science, arts, outdoors, and a little academic crunch.
  • Planning a trip to Iceland.  Perhaps one or two fun weekends closer to home.
  • A little bit of sleep-away camp.
  • Extracurriculars that are year-round - TKD, gymnastics, horse riding.
  • Library programs - book club, maybe writing club, maybe others.
  • Helping out at a horse farm.  Possibly other volunteer work.
  • Taking care of their critters, their rooms, improving their cooking skills, intellectual games, practicing music.
  • Some "Mom work" - academics that we can't get to during the school year.  Maybe some scout badge work.
  • Like 1

Swim team is pretty much our summer. Dd will also do dive team. Our pool has a fun water-polo team which the boys did last year and loved. Ds wants to work for the first time at the pool this summer and also hope to help coach (he’s been volunteering over the winter and really likes it). 

Oldest will go to NAYLE which is a Boy Scout leadership thing. Other two will go to camp for a week. Daughter will do a very cheap fun ballet camp that is run by high school girls that are friends of ours. 

We don't do a lot of school but they will all do a little math, music practice and read a lot. 

This is always my struggle. Knowing the personality of my kids, who LOVE to get out and be busy every day, and the idea of an "old-fashioned" summer (esp. since they're now in school) of just laying around and going to the pool. But if today is any indication, days where there is nothing going on do NOT go over well here. They mope around and can't find anything to do. I used to say it's good for them, but they really DO like being active. So I think it's best to keep them busy but that also means I am driving them everywhere. Can anyone relate?

• Like 2

This is always my struggle. Knowing the personality of my kids, who LOVE to get out and be busy every day, and the idea of an "old-fashioned" summer (esp. since they're now in school) of just laying around and going to the pool. But if today is any indication, days where there is nothing going on do NOT go over well here. They mope around and can't find anything to do. I used to say it's good for them, but they really DO like being active. So I think it's best to keep them busy but that also means I am driving them everywhere. Can anyone relate?

Well, we always do the free swim lessons at the lake.

I don't have big plans for dd10 or ds8, but they might go to camp.  Dd10 usually goes up to my dad's for a week.

Dd13 wants to do a sailing camp she did last year.  She's like to do 4 weeks but I think it will be only 2 as it's rather pricy.  I'd like her to go to teen church camp but it may not work time-wise.

They are going camping with dh for a while too.

DS16 is hoping to get a job (interview on Tuesday :)).

DS15 is hoping to do a week-long police explorer-type program through either the city or county law enforcement. This one also needs to finish his Eagle project, wrap up a few merit badge requirements, and learn to drive. (He's going to be much busier than his imagination is letting him believe right now. )

besides some light school:

VBS

scout camp

church camp

hang out with friends

sleep in!

catch fireflies

youth group pool parties, canoe trips etc.

family vacation to the beach

eat lots of watermelon, grilled burgers, and popsicles

Ds will do swim team, play some tennis and fish

Dd will read a zillion books and work at her volunteer gig

DD16 and DH are headed to the east coast at the end of June for VentureFest with her BSA Venture Crew. She also has a whole bunch of outdoor trips planned. She is hiking again in Denali with her best friend and friend’s mom in June, doing some multi-day trip over a pass in July, and a week-long canoe trip in August. They want to fit in a horseback riding trip as well, but there aren’t many weekends left in summer after all that.

I would love some more information on the scavenger hunts work. How old are your kids (mine will be 14 this summer....do you think she is too old to enjoy it?)?

Not the poster, but I totally think you should give it a try! I've made some for art museums - find an exotic animal, find something made from plastic, find a picture that shows wind, find someone sketching an art work, etc. Fun to create, plus you make the rules, so you can decide how to interpret them. Your dd might have fun creating some too. Don't forget to set a reward for success!

• Like 1

DS 16/17 will be working most of the time but otherwise I'm hoping to help him find a hiking group with young adults who will be okay that hhe is under 18 but very mature.

DD14/15 wants to get into horseback riding, martial arts, and swimming... maybe find a PT job.  She's decided that getting involved in a lot of activities will help her depression and anxiety.... the same thing I've told her for years.

We just had summer break. Ds10 attended holiday care 2 days a week. Ds8 spent one day at the neighbours and one day at work with me. We visited my mum, swam a lot and spent far too much time on devices while I worked. Basically we survived but I would have liked to enjoy it more. I never have any money in summer because we have Christmas, holiday care and back to school in rapid succession so I am hoping to do something more in the winter holidays. Oh we did go away for a few days early December.

My youngest is 16 and has intellectual disabilities. He will:

-do swim team (daily practice evenings until school let's out then mornings through July)

-attend adaptive camps through parks (a week of fitness camp, a week of "adventure" kayaking, hiking, etc)

-attend several weeks of therapuetic rec "camp" which is boring, but cheap

--work on summer work sent by his special education teacher last summer we worked though Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. We will see what this summer's book will be.

My two olders will work and are looking for internships, research positions, etc.

Edited by Diana P.

One will be working in the US to pay for college. Another will spend a couple of months in the US pretending to be a typical American kid before he moves to another new country. The last one has literally no idea what he will be doing. I will be pleasantly surprised if he has a plan before the end of April and happy if he makes any decisions by June.

Oldest:  travel baseball (6 tournaments, 3x/week practice), SAT prep class (he doesn't know this yet), and I'd love to see him get a part time job.  He also needs 125 volunteer hours to get his high school diploma.  He only has 30, so he really has to do something about this.

Youngest:  no clue outside of a 1 week day camp that he likes and a few trips to stay with my parents

We have an Alaskan cruise planned for the family at the end of June but not sure if we are going to be able to actually go based on some work issues.

We will hopefully be settling into our new house and exploring our new neighborhood. Ideally, we’d be moving by around April but the buyer for our house still doesn’t have a buyer for her house.

Other than that there will be a week of art camp for the oldest and a week of VBS for the younger three. Hopefully free swim lessons for all four if I can find them again. We’ll go to karate as usual. The library’s summer reading program and activities. A little school here and there. Pool days at my ILs and beach days. A camping trip at the end of summer with my family. Possibly a trip to VA for my grandparent’s 80th birthdays. I’d like to fit in a day trip to NYC early in the summer too before it gets too hot.

How neat 

Where is that? 

This particular work exchange program is through the Canadian YMCA. It offers work exchange opportunities for English speakers to go to Quebec (perhaps parts of New Brunswick) to live and work in a French environment, as well as French speakers to go to other parts of Canada to live and work in an English environment. It's a wonderful program, and it's an actual exchange, where most families send a child and host an exchange child while theirs is gone for the summer. 

My dd participated in this program last year, and this year ds is applying to go. We hosted 2 francophone boys last summer, and it was a lot of fun. I'm hoping for a girl this summer. ;) It was a little nutty with 5 young men in the house, plus me. 

Edited by wintermom

Each kiddo has 2 weeks of church camp (sleep away).

Youngest will do 1 week of VBS.

Other than that, we don't schedule summer. We usually vacation a week with my parents, but they're doing an anniversary trip without us this year. :p

DH will probably be recovering from his bone marrow transplant this summer, so I bet we will be limiting interactions with people, just to keep germs to a minimum.

I am so not in summer mode yet. This will be our first full summer in our new city (we moved the middle of August last year). It is hard to plan because I don’t know what all is available.

Ds11 is playing travel baseball and will go to Cooperstown for a tournament in August. We will go to my parents house and hopefully back to where we moved from to visit. This will be the first summer we will be doing schoolwork. Other than that, we have no plans.

Things fill up quickly in San Diego, so most of our plans will be firm in the next few weeks. We take the entire summer off from our usual school routine (Memorial Day until Labor Day).

Sacha (age 9):

1 week of watersports camp

2 weeks of drone/aeronautics camp at the JCC

3 weeks CTY Through the Microscope Microbio class

4 weeks SD Junior Lifeguard camp (afternoons)

2 weeks AoPS Academy Math Camp (mornings)

2 weeks Beginning Sabots sailing camp with the yacht club (mornings)

1 week Lego Mindstorms EV3 Robotics camp at the JCC

Sacha may also listen to a few asynchronous Lukeion workshops, since he loves anything Roman and Greek!

Ronen (turning 5 over the summer)

1 week of junior watersports camp

1 week robotics camp
8 weeks JCC sports camp
1 week Jedi Lego camp
1 week Minecraft Lego camp

2 weeks of vacation with several days at Magic Mountain/Hurricane Harbor and a homeschool convention at the Great Wolf Lodge. We will live on our sailboat over the summer (while they do the annual maintenance/repairs on our RV), and head back to Campland after Labor Day for year three of our RV adventure. I will also start nursing school in August, so I am taking the summer to workout and relax by the pool.

Dd is working at two different music camps in July. We are considering a trip to Thailand in June but not sure as we are in the process of relocating to a different state, our house is now under contract but we don't have a house to move into yet, so not quite sure what we'll be able to do in June. August will consist of travel to the mid-west for a music festival (how and for how long is also not yet planned).

Nothing is confirmed yet, but this is the hope:

dd 17 - calculus, part-time job at home, possible exchange for 1 month

ds 16 - work exchange in foreign language

ds 14 - cadet summer training 3 weeks

ds 12 - swimming at the local pools with friends

I’d love to hear about the work exchange if you don’t mind?

Ah never mind. I see you elaborated upthread. How neat.

I hope DS can get some sort of internship in his language when he’s of age.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

The whole family is going to France for ten days.  Hobbes is taking a gap year, so he hopes to work for six months locally (while taking evening classes at the local university) then do some language immersion in France.  Calvin graduates this summer.  He's up to his eyes in work, so I'm not hassling him about his plans.

I might be scheduling surgery for the summer, in which case no one is going to be doing much of anything because I will be laid up at home recuperating and I will need their help once my husband has to go back to work (he'll take off a week or two as needed.)

If I decide not to have surgery this summer we'll probably take a couple of camping trips, but otherwise I don't think we have any big plans to go anywhere or take a "real" vacation. Both of my kids are pretty social and have wide circles of friends, so I imagine that most days there will be someone to meet at the mall or pool or library or park or a friend to invite over. 

I'm hoping to have my son, who started school for the first time this year, do some things over the summer that he hasn't had time for this school year such as some sessions with his Japanese tutor. I also told him that in lieu of a sleep-away summer camp that I might pull together a DIY mini-guitar camp: basically I was going to see if I could find a guitar teacher who could give him daily intensive lessons for two weeks or something like that. I also plan on signing him up for an Algebra I prep class that the local university offers for free over the summer (they also have some other math and science courses, and I might sign him up for a session on brain science as well.) The classes meet on campus at the university for 2 hrs/day on M-W-F for two weeks. 

My youngest is still homeschooled, and in addition to her playdates/social butterfly schedule, I'll probably have her continue working on writing and math with me throughout the summer. 

Finally, both kids have memberships to a climbing gym and are part of the climbing team. Their gym is moving to a brand new facility soon, so I imagine we'll take advantage of their membership (and the fact that the new facility will have air conditioning unlike the current location!) and try to go climbing at least 3-4 days/week. 

Edited by Wabi Sabi