Menu

LL Bean scrapped their legendary return policy....

frugalmamatx

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/09/584493046/l-l-bean-scraps-legendary-lifetime-return-policy

Thoughts? I, for one, only purchased from them BECAUSE of the policy. I won't be any longer - I didn't see very much difference in quality between the items from them and cheaper sellers on Amazon. 

I'm also seriously irritated that items I purchased under the OLD policy are no longer backed by it. 

• Like 2

I have used the policy heavily for things like tents and outdoor gear that don’t always hold up well.

Their tents are much more expensive than a cheap Coleman one, but a ripped screen on an llbean tent could be replaced.

Now we will just get the cheaper one instead.

I think they may be shooting themselves in the foot.

They will still take returns after a year if the product is defective.  

Yes. This seems fair to me, and it definitely wouldn't make me stop shopping there.

"If you are not 100% satisfied with one of our products, you may return it within one year of purchase for a refund. After one year, we will consider any items for return that are defective due to materials or craftsmanship."

• Like 15

They still have an amazing return policy, IMO, and I'm really impressed by their quality. It seems that if you've worn something for a year, you are satisfied with it.

I shop 90% of my clothing used because then I can see how it wears. Over time, I've ended up with LL Bean sweaters (I'm wearing one now) because they are the ones that still look good by the time they get to the rummage sale. Most brands look terrible by then (fast fashion - grrrr).

Emily

• Like 3

Sorry to see that. Stepson has my Red L.L. Bean Jacket which he sometimes wears when riding his motorcycle.  Years ago, I did send a couple of jackets back to them for repairs.  One was because of a defective zipper. I think they replaced the zipper and sent the jacket back to me. The other was defective in a more serious way. The stitching in one area came undone.  I believe they sent me a new jacket for that one.  I found their stuff stood up very well.  I had also purchsed  some things from a company in the N.W., but do not remember their stuff standing up  like L.L. Bean stuff.  People abusing warranties is a big problem.

The new policy still seems perfectly generous to me.  I've never understood the need for an unlimited return policy - it's just too easy to abuse.  I used to work at a small retail clothing chain that had that policy.  People would literally wear the clothes for ten or twelve years, and then return them for a full refund.  Ridiculous.  

• Like 11

We never used their return policy, but I liked knowing about it. Sad that see it go, but not terribly surprised.

I’ve seen Costco’s return policy abused. And Target, back before they tightened things up, that might have been in the 90s.

Sometimes people’s expectations are too high re: the lifetime of a product.

REI change their lifetime return policy to one year return policy in 2013 and people accepted it. Similar wording.

They really needed too. I am a regular shopper at the REI garage sales where they sell their returns, floor models and other not-as-good-as-new merch. It used to be that mixed in with the scratch and dent type stuff, there would be totally worn out three decades old items. Employees used to joke that customers thought REI stood for Return Everything Inc

My son has a three decade old REI tent. It’s pretty battered. I have repaired it several times. It would never have occurred to me to return it for a new $400 backpacking tent. But that is what some people did.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3

The new policy still seems perfectly generous to me.  I've never understood the need for an unlimited return policy - it's just too easy to abuse.  I used to work at a small retail clothing chain that had that policy.  People would literally wear the clothes for ten or twelve years, and then return them for a full refund.  Ridiculous.  

Yep.  One year no questions asked and beyond a year for defective merchandise feels generous to me, too.  

• Like 8

They really needed too. I am a regular shopper at the REI garage sales where they sell their returns, floor models and other not-as-good-as-new merch. It used to be that mixed in with the scratch and dent type stuff, there would be totally worn out three decades old items. Employees used to joke that customers thought REI stood for Return Everything Inc

In fairness, though, they sell a lot of stuff that is not used very often.

For instance, someone might buy a water filter system and only use it for a few days per year, or stick it in their emergency supplies just in case. 

I can imagine returns in over a year of things that have been used very little in that event.  That's one of the reasons I really appreciated their historic return policy.

• Like 3

In fairness, though, they sell a lot of stuff that is not used very often.

For instance, someone might buy a water filter system and only use it for a few days per year, or stick it in their emergency supplies just in case. 

I can imagine returns in over a year of things that have been used very little in that event.  That's one of the reasons I really appreciated their historic return policy.

LL Bean will accept returns for things purchased more than a year ago if the product is defective.  This isn't a "year only and that's it" return policy.  

• Like 5

It's appalling to see the shape of items that people try to return there. Recently I saw someone try to return totally worn out boots, clearly well used for years. I don't blame the company one bit--if enough people treat them like a lending library for clothes and equipment, this is a natural consequence. I have friends who work in returns and the stories about what people will try to get away with is pretty shocking.

DH and I both used to work at REI and it was the same there.

I don't know why anyone would jump to the idea that this necessary policy would lead to a decline in quality. That's simply not what the company is about, at all.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 8

When I saw the thread title, I was all set to be mad at LLBean. But, no.  The new policy is completely reasonable. 

I remember walking by the return line in Walmart a few days after Christmas one year, amazed by the number of fake trees being returned. Overhearing a bit of a conversation, I got the distinct impression that some folks see Walmart as a free Christmas tree loan service... you pay your deposit when you pick up the tree, and get it back when you return it a few days or weeks later.

There are a lot of jerky people out there.  No reason to think people who buy from LLBean, or REI, or any other retailer are any better.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/woman-gets-full-refund-after-returning-dead-christmas-tree-costco-january/drKI1pyTkkWEmnHN6v8HkJ/

Well, consider the case of the lady that returned her dead/live Christmas tree on January 4th for a full refund to Costco for a full refund.  This is why we can't have nice things.  

Well that is really something.  At least the people I've seen returning trees were taking back artificial trees, not real ones.

The linked article describes the woman as 'frugal.'  I think that is the wrong use of that word.

• Like 1

OK, I just checked and I got the letter too.  They explained their position so well!  I don't understand the anger and dismay over this.   It's very clear they still stand by their products.  I would just keep proof of purchase for a year, or longer for a high-ticket, rarely-used item like a tent.  No big deal.  If you order online and have an account with them, the purchase records are there for a few years at least. I just checked mine and can see all my purchases from 2014 on.   

• Like 2

I have no problem with their change in policy whatsoever. I'm sure they have been taken advantage of by unethical people many, many times and that's what led to the change.

We've been ordering from LL Bean for about thirty years now and have never had to return anything. 

• Like 4

This won't bother me much. I have never returned something years later for wear and tear. If something was wrong with a product, I can keep to the one year return limit. 

Costco and REI - as mentioned above - have had to institute a similar policy to reduce the abuse potential.

• Like 1

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/09/584493046/l-l-bean-scraps-legendary-lifetime-return-policy

Thoughts? I, for one, only purchased from them BECAUSE of the policy. I won't be any longer - I didn't see very much difference in quality between the items from them and cheaper sellers on Amazon.

I'm also seriously irritated that items I purchased under the OLD policy are no longer backed by it.

That's so sad! I went to their store in Maine in the '70s, and I had my brother's very old LL Bean down jacket on. It had a piece of electrical tape to cover a small tear on the sleeve, and an employee saw it, whisked me over to the rack and had a new free jacket on me in two seconds.

Edit: finished reading the thread, and the new policy sounds very reasonable to me.

Edited by Sandwalker
  • Like 1

Perhaps LL Bean's $50 Million a year in fraudulent returns is part of the reason their prices are higher than sellers who don't have an unlimited return policy.

• Like 1

I'd love to know what cheap brands you're finding that are as good as LLBean clothing. That's serious, not snark.

My husband and I have 20-year-old shirts and sweaters that are still in fine shape.  His beard is rough on shirt collars, so they will all fray eventually, but Bean's last longer than any others.  

And my LL Bean boots!  Purchased in 1997, worn for nearly 20 years, then sent back for a $45 refurbishing, returned good as new.  They could be the last pair of snow/rain boots I'll ever need to buy. 

• Like 2

I'd love to know what cheap brands you're finding that are as good as LLBean clothing. That's serious, not snark.

My husband and I have 20-year-old shirts and sweaters that are still in fine shape. His beard is rough on shirt collars, so they will all fray eventually, but Bean's last longer than any others.

And my LL Bean boots! Purchased in 1997, worn for nearly 20 years, then sent back for a $45 refurbishing, returned good as new. They could be the last pair of snow/rain boots I'll ever need to buy.

I own a pair of LL Bean boots that were bought in 1985. Still water tight. Still going strong. My daughter now wears them, too.

• Like 1

After I saw this, I placed an order for a few items. Their no shrink shirts are the only ones that don't shrink in the wash although the no stain shirts do actually stain. We're hard on clothes. . . (And the socks that my El Destructo got from there are only just barely starting to show wear.)

Doesn't surprise me. People are just more likely in this period of history to do things that would have caused a sense of guilt decades ago. When people take advantage of an honor system they get policed unfortunately. It's a bummer. It was a great policy.

Stores have been phasing out these kind of guarantees for decades. My father worked at KMart in the 60s as the manager of the sporting goods department. He said tons of people would buy new guns or fishing poles at the start of the season and then return them at the end of the season. Not his department but someone returned many empty paint cans. They said they didn’t like the color. The paint was dried, they weren’t looking to get a different color. They just painted their entire house for free.

This is nothing new.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Stores have been phasing out these kind of guarantees for decades. My father worked at KMart in the 60s as the manager of the sporting goods department. He said tons of people would buy new guns or fishing poles at the start of the season and then return them at the end of the season. Not his department but someone returned many empty paint cans. They said they didn’t like the color. The paint was dried, they weren’t looking to get a different color. They just painted their entire house for free.

This is nothing new.

I don't think it's a new thing either.

But, the scope of people who can buy and then return things is so much wider now with the internet.