Menu

Pattern blocks and cards

sea_mommy

I’d keep them for an activity for your 3yo to do when you are busy with the older ones.

:iagree:  I have just introduced my youngest (3.5) to pattern blocks, and I'm so glad I've kept them for her through my various purging cycles! I printed out a bunch of free sheets online - animals, letters, numbers, etc. - and every now and then will put the sheets and blocks in her "rainbow bins" (a series of bins, each with a different activity that she gets to work on quietly while I'm working with the big kids). She didn't love them at first, but actually my bigger kids got interested in them again (the blocks have been put away for a couple of years), and that made her realize they were fun, LOL. The big kids made fancy mosaic patterns with them, but then they showed her how to use the sheets to make letters, animals, etc., and she decided they are pretty fun. I keep them put away if they are not in the current rainbow bin rotation, so they are something special she only gets when she "gets to do school".  So in our house, pattern blocks are a keeper!

• Like 1

I love the blocks but didn't make much use of the cards.

I’d keep them for an activity for your 3yo to do when you are busy with the older ones.

:iagree:  I have just introduced my youngest (3.5) to pattern blocks, and I'm so glad I've kept them for her through my various purging cycles! I printed out a bunch of free sheets online - animals, letters, numbers, etc. - and every now and then will put the sheets and blocks in her "rainbow bins" (a series of bins, each with a different activity that she gets to work on quietly while I'm working with the big kids). She didn't love them at first, but actually my bigger kids got interested in them again (the blocks have been put away for a couple of years), and that made her realize they were fun, LOL. The big kids made fancy mosaic patterns with them, but then they showed her how to use the sheets to make letters, animals, etc., and she decided they are pretty fun. I keep them put away if they are not in the current rainbow bin rotation, so they are something special she only gets when she "gets to do school".  So in our house, pattern blocks are a keeper!

Well, that didn't go as I had planned.   :laugh:  I guess that I will keep them.   :lol:  Thank you!

• Like 1

LOL, I *STILL* have our pattern blocks. My oldest never used them, but my youngest would be crushed if I got rid of them, LOL! She made amazing designs with them. I figure the grandkids some day will get to enjoy them! And actually, I've used them a number of times recently--babysitting a 5 year-old for a couple of hours, and while tutoring 6 year-old twins (when I want to work with one of them one-on-one, I have the other do an activity. Pattern blocks are one of the activities I rotate in.) One prefers cards and doesn't make anything independently. The other complete ignores cards and makes her own designs.