Menu

MEP Math or ???

Cynful

I've graduated two but it feels all new with this one, my just turned 7 year old.  

I am the type who loves the Saxon scripted teacher manuals, though I do not like Saxon.  My son seems to know math intuitively.  We've gone through Singapore Math Essentials (which he thought was easy) and I'm wondering where I want to go now. 

I'm not super strong in math so can I teach Singapore or MEP math well enough based on their teacher guides?  I jumped around way too much with my older kids and I don't want to make the same mistake here especially since he loves it so much and just gets it.  

Thoughts?

I think you could do either, just get the Home Instructor's Guide if you do Singapore and make sure you utilize the lesson plans if you use MEP. I haven't used the HIG (only bits of Singapore here and there), but the MEP plans are very laid out - they're essentially scripted. You'll need to tweak the classroom things, but it's really not too extensive. I think people don't use the plans enough, honestly.

• Like 2

Yes, MEP is very easy to teach with the plans.  Very.  I used to print out a section of the worksheets and download the corresponding section's teacher's guide to my tablet.  The only things I tweaked were the times (they were off for us), and the classroom activities.  Definitely download the copymasters and print the ones that are not on the student sheets.

• Like 4

I can do math, but it is not one of my strengths. I am a fan of MEP. As pp have said, it is pretty much scripted and easy to use. I read over the lesson the night before to make sure I have what copymasters I need, and if there is an tweaking needed for classroom oriented activities. Otherwise, it is kind of open and go. I think there are enough challenging problems that a mathy kid would not be bored.

Edited by knitgrl
  • Like 3

I also like things clearly laid out for me.  I used Singapore at one time, but I didn't like the HIG much.  I've used MEP, and it's clear, but I kept feeling like it was better for a group.  In the end I used mostly Math Mammoth, which I found really easy for a homeschooler and not so much mucking around with different books.  I often use MEP to supplement though.

• Like 3

I'd say MEP is easier for the non-mathy teacher if you're willing to commit to the lesson plans. They don't take much prep or tweaking.

I disagree that Math in Focus was easier to teach than Singapore (I'm sure some found the opposite true - just saying this is not a universal opinion), though now that it has its own version of the HIG from Calvert, maybe? But overall, nope. I will second that Math Mammoth is more streamlined than anything else named though. It doesn't have much in the way of teacher materials - the teaching on the page is good enough that some less mathy people find that easier, others harder.

My vote goes to MEP. Other than the printing, it's free so it seems like a no brainer to do it first if you're on the fence. You can always switch if it doesn't work and you won't have lost anything. I think it's easiest to print at least a quarter of the year ahead of time and bind it or put it in a binder or notebook.

• Like 2