Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Excelsior! Academy

Need help navigating social situation

A close relative of ours has been visiting regularly and gifting us food.  The foods in question vary from canned to boxed to refrigerated to frozen.  The problem is the frozen foods are often pre-frozen in their original Styrofoam containers and freezer burnt, the refrigerated foods are either partially used or out of date, and the homemade "chicken broth" bags come pre-frozen, etc.  I often toss most of what is gifted and it creates more work.  While I greatly appreciate the thought behind the gifts, I want to limit the unsolicited gifts without hurting feelings.  Is there a way to do this?

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

I would maybe try making it a space issue? Call ahead of the visit and let them know how kind it is for them to think of you, but you are running out of room to put any more food in the fridge,freezer, pantry and you just aren't be to accept any more food gifts.

• Like 4

Might be easier to just continue to accept and pitch? Surely they will run out of the freezer-burned stuff eventually?

If you manage to politely turn off the flow of perishables you might start getting Precious Moments that need to be displayed!

• Like 4

Thank them, and ask if they could help next time with setting the table instead of contributing food.  Basically the goal is they aren't seen as moochers, but as contributers, if your guest is like mine.  I just toss what is brought after they leave, I figure just like the poster above, its poor quality and they are better off without it in their home.

Edited by Heigh Ho
  • Like 1