Menu

Natural Options for Claustrophobia

aggie96

Hive experts,

For the past few years I have been increasingly struggling with claustrophobia in places that where I irrationally feel trapped by people or too few exits.

I am not going to take prescription drugs. I am looking for over-the-counter help. Something that can take the edge off the panic attack. I am going to be visiting Carlsbad Caverns (Big Room only) and Harry Potter World (long lines in buildings waiting for rides). I have been to the caverns many times as a child and theme parks many times my whole life. I just can.not.control the attacks and have to miss out while DH takes the kids through the attractions.

The internet suggests taking Benadryl or Melatonin because the sleepiness/relax will distract form panic. Other herbs such as niacin, valerian root, kava, etc. are recommended. Do the herbs/vitamins really help? I can take the Benadryl-type stuff and power through the sleepiness, but I would hate to have to slog through the day (but I will if it means I can at least be there).

I don't have a regular dr and don't have time or money to go that route. Plus, I am going to suggest this for DH who is planning to miss out on a helicopter ride due to his fear of heights. We are a hot mess.

Suggestions besides the doctor? 

• Like 1

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

no drugs, no woo, just evidence based desensitization protocols & CBT

"According to the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health, about 75% of people with specific phobias overcome their fears through cognitive-behavioral therapy" https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/phobia

^^^ ITA. If possible, CBT is a good way to go, and phobias don’t typically take very long to get over doing it this way.

On your own, repeated exposure can work, esp if you can take Benadryl so you aren’t feeling afraid during the exposure, and your mind can get the idea it doesn’t need to be afraid. I’ve done this on my own with elevators. I still don’t love them, but don’t experience panic feelings anymore when in them. I can only take a child’s dose(12.5 mg) of Benadryl if I don’t want to be too sleepy, and it does take the edge off.

• Like 1

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

no drugs, no woo, just evidence based desensitization protocols & CBT

"According to the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health, about 75% of people with specific phobias overcome their fears through cognitive-behavioral therapy" https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/phobia

^^^ ITA. If possible, CBT is a good way to go, and phobias don’t typically take very long to get over doing it this way.

On your own, repeated exposure can work, esp if you can take Benadryl so you aren’t feeling afraid during the exposure, and your mind can get the idea it doesn’t need to be afraid. I’ve done this on my own with elevators. I still don’t love them, but don’t experience panic feelings anymore when in them. I can only take a child’s dose(12.5 mg) of Benadryl if I don’t want to be too sleepy, and it does take the edge off.

Thanks for all the advice!  I won't have time in the next 20 days for CBT and gradual exposure, but I am going to keep that in mind going forward. I hate that I can reason through the fear right up until I'm in the situation and then BAM! I can't think rationally anymore, and I have to bolt. Also. it's nuts that this has just become a debilitating problem in the last 4 years. I've never liked small spaces but never had a panic attack or even close to one until 2013. I do have personal space issues though, and my weight reached a point in 2013 where it seems difficult to maintain personal space to my satisfaction. I think it's related. I was hoping to just lose weight and the problem would vanish. But weight loss is slow going, and I don;t want to sit on the sideline again.