Menu

Cat eats too fast and gets sick

scbusf

One of our cats is about 2 years old. She LOVES food. Like, puffy-heart loves food.  At least once a day, she throws up a few minutes after eating. It doesn't seem to matter if we reduce the amount of food. We've tried a couple of different dry foods - right now, they are eating Iams Hairball Control and Weight Formula.

Any ideas? I'm tired of cleaning up cat puke.

How much have you reduced the food?

You can try giving just a few pieces of kibble at a time. Five or six, working up to however much she can tolerate. Yes, it's a pain.

Spreading her kibble out may help. You can use a jellyroll pan or something like that. A trick I've often seen recommended for dogs who eat too fast (but have never had to resort to) is flinging the kibble out in the yard so the dog has to hunt for each piece. If you have a hard floored room you could do a version of that.

There are bowls for pets who eat too fast. Here's one for cats. And here's a review of five slow feed bowls.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4

If you figure it out, let me know. We have a slow-feeding bowl that requires her to actually fish the pieces out individually, but that didn't help. I'd like to try this hunting method https://docandphoebe.com/ but know that it would work once and then all the little mice-shaped holders would be stuck under large furniture. I also know that it would happen every. single. day.

I have a cat that also used to throw up after each meal.  It gets old.  We ended up switching to wet canned food only diet.  It can be a pain, but research really shows that cats should technically only eat wet food (it is closer in nature to what they would eat in the wild).  Dry food is by far more convenient though.  This particular cat also had a tendency to sneeze a lot.  After a few weeks of making the switch, she stopped sneezing and she doesn't throw up anymore.  We made this switch about 2 years ago so I know that it has stood the test of time.  I assume the diet made the big difference because nothing else changed.  Most wet cat foods have a higher percentage of water content and cats need that and the protein.. desperately.  Especially male cats.   Also, the wet food may seem more expensive, but our vet bills have decreased because we don't have to go anymore except for the yearly check-ups. That alone saves hundreds so it is worth it to us to buy the wet food.  I would avoid friskies, but other than that the brand hasn't seemed to matter.  It is just the wet food.  We have used Rachel Ray, Fancy Feast, and Blue.  If you can swing it, the most economical cat food that also meets a really high healthy criteria is Blue Indoor Limited Ingredient, any flavors are fine, but the fish flavors should be used sparingly.

So, based on our experience, I would tell you to switch to an all wet food diet for a few weeks and see if you can see a difference.  If not, there's always the veterinarian!

HTH!

• Like 1

I have a cat who does this. For him, switching to a grain-free, chicken-free food helped significantly. Prior to that I had tried a tray and several other slow food options. My cats do not believe that wet food is food or I would have been all over that. The food switch helped more than anything.

I’d start with the options mentioned further up in the thread first, though. If that doesn’t work, then I’d consider switching up the food. In our case, there’s only one food that is both grain-free and chicken-free that my cats will eat. Most cat foods are either chicken or fish and since chicken was out and my cats don’t think fish is food, this is annoying and not exactly cheap. I sure don’t miss cleaning up regurgitate food, though!

We only cover the bottom of the kitty bowl (but we have only one cat) and her dish sits where anyone can see it all day to refill if needed. She meows if she's hungry and it's empty, or when she wants someone to watch her eat. LOL

She still vomits once in a while but it is not like it was, which was every day. She was gorging when there was "plenty" of food, but when there is less, she eats less but more often.

https://www.amazon.com/Catit-Senses-2-0-Digger-Cats/dp/B015P13QMM/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1517973950&sr=1-6&keywords=Cat+enrichment+feeder

This is what we use for our food inhaler. She used to throw up all the time. She hasn’t once since we started using this feeder.

It was also recommended to us to switch her to a high protein wet food to help her feel fuller. We feed her 1/2 can of wet food in the morning and a 1/2 serving of dry food in her special feeder in the evening. All of this has helped tremendously. We’ve always fed grain free.

Good luck!

DD spreads Mabel's grain free food out over 3 meals each day, plus we give her a meat treat (cat food does not have enough protein). She used to throw up food almost daily now we only get the occasional hairball.  We also make sure she has plenty of clean water to help dilute stomach acids and so she doesn't gorge herself on water (she won't drink it if it's more than a day old).

My sister in law had a dog that ate too fast and would choke (at least I think that was what happened--it was something bad).  Anyway, they would feed him in the garage by throwing the food across the garage floor so he had to pick it up piece by piece.