Menu

Does anyone have experience with Lukeion for an upper elementary kiddo?

I was looking at the catalogue for DS14--who will be continuing on in Latin, and who would love to do some history or Shakespeare there if we could shoehorn it into his schedule--and I wondered if one of the English classes might be a good first online class for his sister. 

Has anyone tried Worldly Wise or Barbarian Diagrammarian with a youngster?

My ds11 took witty wordsmith and is doing barbarian diagrammarian right now. I think he could have done it at 10. The class has high expectations and is very strict on deadlines, but I don’t think the work has been particularly hard. It is a lot of memorizing, so if that is a strength, I think it would be fine.

The expectation is that students are working at an 8th grade level. My ds is not working at 8th grade, but is doing fine. Like I said, it is mostly memorizing. The diagramming class starts with common nouns and proper nouns. It ramps up quickly, but I don’t think it assumes any background knowledge. The first two weeks of witty wordsmith were overwhelming for my ds, but once he got the hang of it, he did really well.

• Like 1

DD12 took Barbarian Digrammarian as a 6th grader; she's young for grade.  She had no problems with it.  She is organized and HG; she could have done it a year earlier, probably.  The only learning curve was remembering to set her alarm for class, turn in quizzes and homework on time, etc.  She had very little background knowledge and was fine.  She's doing Latin 1 now as a 7th grader and spends maybe 3 hours a week total, including class time and homework/quizzes; she consistently scores at the top of the class.  She has become much better at the executive function part of it, so that helps.

DD12 took Barbarian Digrammarian as a 6th grader; she's young for grade.  She had no problems with it.  She is organized and HG; she could have done it a year earlier, probably.  The only learning curve was remembering to set her alarm for class, turn in quizzes and homework on time, etc.  She had very little background knowledge and was fine.  She's doing Latin 1 now as a 7th grader and spends maybe 3 hours a week total, including class time and homework/quizzes; she consistently scores at the top of the class.  She has become much better at the executive function part of it, so that helps.

Did she have any Latin before beginning Latin 1?

My 7th grader is in Barbarian as prep for Latin 1. He definitely could have handled the material 2 years ago, but with his ADHD he would not have done well with the format. He LOVES his onlineG3 classes because they're good for 2e kids, but Lukeion is more traditional (lecture, take notes, homework, quiz) and significantly limits the dynamic (no mic, filtered chat box, etc). We like the class - just are accustomed to more 2e friendly set-up.

Edited by Targhee
  • Like 1