Menu

What's with the ads?

bttrflyvld

Favorite science curriculums

What has been your favorite science curriculum?

Why is it your favorite?

Which ones have tried from that publisher? (Etc. Biology, chemistry)

Ones we liked:

Noeo - living books, everything in one package, optional 2 or 4 day schedules.  We used all three years of level 2: bio, chem, phys.

Intellego - unit studies, computer/pdf based, they were a nice break while still using the Noeo format of various sources and hands on experiments.  We used Astronomy in their 4-6th grade.

Mystery Science - easy to plan, easy to use, didn't require any special things other than normal around the house stuff.  We went through nearly all the activities 3 years ago but ds is asking to return to it next year now that they've added more.

BFSU - currently using.  It's not as easy to open-and-go, but I found a planning list on their forums that made it a ton easier than trying to work it on my own.  I really like how it lets us choose our own supplements and how the quality of instruction/lessons are a lot higher than I've seen in lower elementary textbooks.  It's K-2, so I thought some would be too babyish for my 2nd grader, but nothing we've come across feels babyish. I'm leaning toward the second book next year.

We've tried others, but either we really didn't like them (Nancy Larson), felt out of sync with (Mr.Q), or were okay, but not super high on our list (Ellen McHenry).

• Like 2

I might get things thrown at me, but I have to say Apologia. It simply got done. My oldest liked the notebooks, the tone, all of it- even for High School Biology. We started with her in jr high. But even with my younger two it's very easy to crack out the Astronomy book or whatever and read a chapter and then find videos or experiments or whatever we want to do if we feel like it. I've also subscribed to Mystery Science recently, and the kids like it, but I don't see how it's a full program without a lot of supplementation. 

• Like 1

We've used Real science odyssey for life, earth and space, and are 3/4 way through chemistry.

Its been a nice open and go curriculum. I bought the supply box to i didn't have to hunt down supplies. What hasn't been in the box has been perishable items like celery and marshmallows.

I'm planning on using their physics next year, but i still like to see whats out there.

We've really enjoyed RSO.

Mystery Science was great! We still use it from time to time but have gone through most of the lessons.

I'm now using some of the science units from The Good and the Beautiful for my elementary kiddos. I do beef it up with additional reading for my 5th grader. 

Edited by insertcreativenamehere

We love BJU Press also!

I like the format of the textbooks, how they present info, and the student activity manual that goes along with the textbook. I also really appreciated the DVD’s that are definitely optional, but sometimes saved my sanity when I was trying to teach multiple grade levels that were spread too far out to combine.

I have used levels 1st grade up through biology. My older kiddos then went and took dc classes at the local college for chemistry and physics. I haven’t decided for sure what I will do with the younger ones, but I am thinking about changing it up and teaching chemistry and physics at home.

Our favorite one that gets done is RS4K.  However, I am switching it up this year to do a science semester during the summer so there is less pressure on me throughout the year.  Then I can outsource a fun science class and supplement science kits throughout the year.  These get done because I don't have to gather too many supplies.  Magic School Bus kits are huge hit with my kids.  Then I would only have one semester of lessons from RS4K (ten weeks) to struggle with getting science done throughout the year.  I'm hoping to do a science week here and there or a lesson on Fridays and not have to try to juggle that into my day to day as much.

• Like 1

RS4K has been a favorite over here. We also really like Berean Science (Dr. Wile's elementary series).

I have used Apologia, but the only one I really liked out of the elementary so far was the Chemistry & Physics one. I have the Anatomy one, but I haven't used it yet. We've done all the other ones.

I have Shepherd Sicene Life Science on the shelf. I like what I've seen flipping through it, but I haven't used it yet. It's on deck for next year.

Edited by calbear

I second the elementary levels of Apologia. I heavily redact the YE portions but it does get done and DS enjoys it. That's a big improvement for us when compared to the nada we were doing before.  :lol: So far we've done chemistry/physics and Human Anatomy. We're doing Astronomy next year and DD is doing BJU Earth Science. That, too, was a MAJOR compromise since I'd resolved never to give a dime to BJU.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I don't know what your background in Science is, so I will just share, in case you are like me:  I can't stand teaching Science. :)

Here's what actually worked:

K:  We just used the Science found in FIAR

1-4th- Watched every Bill Nye the Science Guy video our library had (which was a LOT), All the Magic School Bus videos, and as a family, Nature documentaries, all the old David Attenborough ones are amazing, the new ones tend to have a more up close animal mating/sex and up-close violence but we just skip over a little of that.   My kids, at the time, had almost zero screen time, very few movies, didn't have thier own ipads and no video games, so believe it or not they were absolutely riveted when I'd put on Magic School Bus and call it Science.  Then I'd just ask them, "what did you learn about Science from that video?"  We also tried to get library books related to Science every week.  Based on the kids' interest, or sometimes, based on what I wanted them to learn.  Even if the books were very short and simple they would learn something important such as the digestive system, or  safety - related...We also did a few simple Science Experiment Books from Timberdoodle.  Some of them were really great and we had a lot of fun!  The big expensive kits were usually a failure.  We did a few Science Whiz Kits and we really liked them but the Electricity one stands out in my mind..I didn't bother to "tie it all together" we just did something for Science about 3 days per week, and it was great.

https://www.amazon.com/ScienceWiz-7800-Electricity-Kit/dp/188697800X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518107640&sr=8-3&keywords=electricity+science+kit

I really liked "unschooling" Science and it worked out ok.  

5-7  Jeannie Fullbright Young Explorer's series, now published by Apologia.  These were fun!  Doing them all together was a good intro to more formal Science!  Highly recommended.  My dd also did two books on her own and would get creative with the Notebooking Assignments.  She preferred the Notebooking Assignments that are in the book itself, over buying the pre-made Notebook, because it allowed her more freedom of expression. She did 3 or 4 years of that and I highly recommend them, but I personally think "unschooling" Science is better for the little ones.

Grades 8-10 Apologia.  Yeah it's not perfect.  It's wordy.  The young earth stuff drives me nuts.  BUT it's very do-able and the kits from Home Science Tools are excellent.  After either Biology or Chemistry my kids did/will go to community college and do one or two Sciences there, depending on what's required for their major.  :) 

Hope this helps!

Following...

I'm still prowling the interwebz in search of the science curriculum that is a "perfect" fit for us. So far the best I've come up with is self-designed unit studies based around living books, films/TV shows/documentaries, and Kingfisher/Usborne encyclopedias. We're fine with that for now, but I'd like to have something more concrete.

I was thinking Truth in Science might be OK, but I've heard an equal amount of both good and bad things about it, sooo... Idk.