Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Gil

If you use lapbooks I have a super important question for you

Why is it called a lap-book?

I'm cracking up because you have no idea how perplexed I was by this concept when I went to my first homeschool convention (before we had actually started homeschooling). There were lap book seminars, and booths, and kits and I was just  :confused1: . Then there was a whole special needs section/track with lap booking we saw there and I came to the conclusion that it special needs related. I wasn't sure how, but I figured it was something to do with kids who couldn't use regular books.  I didn't figure out I was wrong until I found these forums. 

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's wondered that.  :lol:

• Like 1

Haha! Weird name huh? I have just assumed it was somebody being clever because it fits in the student's lap once folded back up unlike trifold boards or poster boards.

• Like 2

I think it's at least partly a play on "scrapbook" — a scrapbook-type project that kids can hold/read in their lap = a "lapbook." And the verb "lapbooking" mirrors "scrapbooking."

• Like 1

I thought it was some sort of USA language thing- I am perplexed by lots of terms you guys use.

Haha! Don't feel bad, I have lived here my whole life and I am perplexed too :)

LOL, great question! I assumed it was like a portmanteau of sorts--like combining the idea of a lap desk and a workbook to make a lapbook. However, I just googled, and Jimmie Lanley says, "The finished product is called a lapbook because it's large and covers your lap."

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! Glad I'm not that only one who is annoyed/confused about this terminology.

However, I just googled, and Jimmie Lanley says, "The finished product is called a lapbook because it's large and covers your lap."

Well that's about as dumb as I feared it could be. A lot of books cover your lap (especially when you're a child!), but whatever....

I searched and couldn't find anything but does anyone know how lapbooking became a "thing" for a lot of home schoolers? Is this in a big homeschooling book somewhere? :unsure:

Maybe this is a part of my crafty-deficiencies but note-booking makes sense to me. Lap-booking doesn't, it just seems like busy work with an extra side order of tedium. I just don't "get" lap-booking like...at all.

• Like 3

Maybe this is a part of my crafty-deficiencies but note-booking makes sense to me. Lap-booking doesn't, it just seems like busy work with an extra side order of tedium. I just don't "get" lap-booking like...at all.

It's so funny to me -- my youngest is SUPER crafty. Left to her own devices, a ream of paper and a six-pack of tape, she'll have the best time of her life and create beyond my wildest imaginations.

BUT (and I've tried this experiment more times than is logical -- what's that old definition of insanity?) every single time I try to get her to cut on the lines a lapbook cutout, or paste together a lapbook craft, she digs both heels in and RESISTS...

Lesson learned: Cutting and pasting = free-time activities

• Like 1

My DD HATES premade. cut out and fill in lapbooks, but spends ages designing and making her own.  This same child will slap anything down on a notebook page and call it good.  I don't know why she likes it, but she does, so I don't argue :-)

• Like 1

I had never done lapbooking with any of mine ... until the twins. they seem to learn best with visual reminders. I don't have hanging space for their learnings - but if they create a lapbook I can stack them neatly and they get them out often and review their work. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! Glad I'm not that only one who is annoyed/confused about this terminology.

Well that's about as dumb as I feared it could be. A lot of books cover your lap (especially when you're a child!), but whatever....

I searched and couldn't find anything but does anyone know how lapbooking became a "thing" for a lot of home schoolers? Is this in a big homeschooling book somewhere? :unsure:

I have wondered the same thing and and just don't get lapbooking. And I grew up homeschooling - before lapbooks were a thing. They do not appeal at all...

I tried it once when my dd was in sixth grade. I thought she would think it was fun and that it would help her retain the information. It was for American History. She did not like it at all. I ended up printing all these pages out on colored paper, organizing, cutting, etc. to make it quicker/less painful for her to do, but it was a waste of time for both of us. 

• Like 1

The Boys have kept note-books (not the fancy kind) since that's about all I could conceive to have them do when they were younger, but Their BM school does some special program with notebooks/study skills which I'm actually a big fan of and it's helped my scattered brain kids be more organized. I know that they also are building notebooks (the fancy kind) for certain subjects in school which they seem to like well enough.

Where does one buy pre-made templates for lapbooking?

Homeschool share has a bunch of free templates here. We don't lapbook, but I use bits and pieces from them for dd's science notebook - a sort of interactive notebooking.

When I first started homeschooling, I thought lapbooks looked so fun, but my son had no interest in doing them. I tried them later with my daughter and she does like them as an occasional way to do some crafty learning. I think they work for some kids who like cutting, pasting, writing, and drawing when learning facts. 

I have no idea why they are called lapbooks. They should be called "folder books".

Edited by mom2scouts

Why is it called a lap-book?

No clue. But I was wondering how you and your boys were doing. I hadn’t “seen†you around in a long time.

The Boys have kept note-books (not the fancy kind) since that's about all I could conceive to have them do when they were younger, but Their BM school does some special program with notebooks/study skills which I'm actually a big fan of and it's helped my scattered brain kids be more organized. I know that they also are building notebooks (the fancy kind) for certain subjects in school which they seem to like well enough.

Where does one buy pre-made templates for lapbooking?

I have got them online - mostly from those build your bundle type sales

No clue. But I was wondering how you and your boys were doing. I hadn’t “seen†you around in a long time.

We're doing great, thanks for wondering. The Boys attend a BM school currently but the plan is to bring them home permanently at the end of the school year and then they're education is going to be 100% home based for 6th-12th grade so we're excited to have our autonomy and full range of motion coming back.

I have got them online - mostly from those build your bundle type sales

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

• Like 1