Menu

Books re vaccines -- post is not an invitation for debate

Halftime Hope

ETA:  I'm sorry if my wording sounds rude. I just need information, not a discussion.  Thank you!

I'm looking for book resources on the "con" side of the vaccine debate.  

I'm specifically looking for books that are current, well-researched, and meticulously referenced, please.  Materials written for parents without a background in medicine are also appreciated. 

If you'd prefer to PM me, that would be fine.

Thank you.

Edited by Halftime Hope

When my kids were babies, I had a Dr.Sears book that I found very helpful (The Vaccine Book). He isn’t anti vaccination, but he shared an alternative schedule & I thought he was very fair about the concerns parents should weigh. It felt like a balanced book & allowed me to move forward carefully. My son has an extreme unusual allergy to tetanus (so no Dtap & Tdap - it can kill him), so I do understand wanting to look at cons and weighing the decision. Hope this helps.

• Like 4

When my kids were babies, I had a Dr.Sears book that I found very helpful (The Vaccine Book). He isn’t anti vaccination, but he shared an alternative schedule & I thought he was very fair about the concerns parents should weigh. It felt like a balanced book & allowed me to move forward carefully. My son has an extreme unusual allergy to tetanus (so no Dtap & Tdap - it can kill him), so I do understand wanting to look at cons and weighing the decision. Hope this helps.

IIRC though, Sears didn't't link a lot of his ideas to any real research content, so I'm not sure it counts as meticulous in that way.

• Like 1

IIRC though, Sears didn't't link a lot of his ideas to any real research content, so I'm not sure it counts as meticulous in that way.

It’s been years since I’ve been there, but I used to frequent the forums at mothering.com. They have a vaccine subforum and Dr Sears was a regular on it. I’m sure there’s a plethora of information on those boards with all kinds of links, so that may be a good place to look.

The book was excellent imo & I found it to be very fact based (ingredients, side effects, concerns), and he was very clear when he was sharing his opinion (alternative schedule & why he felt it was better, etc).

Huh, I must have read a newer edition. The edition I read sited specific studies, told how big these studies were, showed who conducted the studies and if they had a vested interest in the outcome. It also discussed why people consider these studies valid or not. I was impressed.

• Like 1

Not to hijack the thread, but this is the first time I've seen or heard about someone who has the same extreme allergy to tetanus that I do. 

Okay....sorry....carry on.

• Like 2

Thanks to all who replied so far.  It has been years for me as well.  Thus the looking for current books. : -) 

I'd like to "bone up" again, and I need a book or several books to pull it all together for me.

Thank you, and please keep the titles coming. 

Edited by Halftime Hope

Not to hijack the thread, but this is the first time I've seen or heard about someone who has the same extreme allergy to tetanus that I do.

Okay....sorry....carry on.

My daughter had horrible issues with dtap, but they thought it was from the pertussis portion of the vaccine. The first time cried inconsolably for over five hours, and the second time she had a reaction was at four and she immediately went from reading early readers (Bob books) and quoting nursery rhymes/ Bible verses to no longer being able to repeat a single verse and didn't read again until she was six- we have never understood why she reacted this way. If this is similar to your reaction please pm me as we have been considering her tetanus vaccine down the road.

While very informative, I wouldn't call his book the "con" side. The pro-vaxxers thought he was too anti. And the anti-vaxxers thought he was too pro. He was pretty smack down the middle.

• Like 1

My daughter had horrible issues with dtap, but they thought it was from the pertussis portion of the vaccine. The first time cried inconsolably for over five hours, and the second time she had a reaction was at four and she immediately went from reading early readers (Bob books) and quoting nursery rhymes/ Bible verses to no longer being able to repeat a single verse and didn't read again until she was six- we have never understood why she reacted this way. If this is similar to your reaction please pm me as we have been considering her tetanus vaccine down the road.

Never mind!

Edited by Gaillardia

My reaction to the tetanus vaccine was quite different.  Within a few hours, the vaccination site swelled to the size of a baseball, blistered, and itched.  Next, I could no longer support my head.  It was like my neck was broken, or a wet noodle. That progressed to going in and out of consciousness throughout the afternoon.  I ended up in the ER.  I was told I could never have another tetanus vaccine in my life.  That was 33 years ago.

A Shot in the Dark is an older book, but discusses problems with the DTP vaccine (which was replaced with the DTaP)

I recently checked out "Vaccines and Autoimmunity" by Yehuda Shoenfeld. I will admit I didn't read it cover to cover as it's really long and I had to return it before I got to read it thoroughly, but it covers a lot of research. (ETA: I just reread your OP and this book is probably a lot heavier than what you're looking for)

There is a lot of recent research on the safety of aluminum. Not a book, but this paper is really good. Basically the studies that the CDC and vaccine manufacturers rely on to prove that aluminum in vaccines is safe use a different kind of aluminum and a different method of delivery. This paper goes over why that's so problematic and what research using vaccine aluminum actually shows. I wouldn't even call this paper "anti-vaccine" because it's really a call for better research and safer vaccines.

http://vaccinesafetycommission.com/pdfs/Aluminum-Toxicokinetics.pdf (ETA: This paper probably isn't an easy read either. It probably requires several reads. But aluminum is a pretty big issue and deserves more reaearch)

And again, a plug for Dissolving Illusions. It's not about current vaccines, so much as it's a history of infectious diseases and the early vaccines for small pox and polio. The idea that vaccines eradicated those diseases is rather simplistic. The actual history is a lot more complicated and a bit messy. It's actually a fascinating read, especially if you like history.

Edited by DesertBlossom
  • Like 2

Just placed a library hold on this one: The Vaccine-Friendly Plan by Paul Thomas and Jennifer Margulis. From what I hear it's well-researched and, despite the positive spin of the title, includes in depth discussion of pros and cons.

Amy

I want to read this book too. I have listened to some things from both of them online. Very well researched. Dr. Thomas has a pediatric office and his patients are on a delayed, selective vaccine schedule in his office. He talks about the money they've lost in incentives and administration fees by not following the CDC schedule, but that his patients are also a lot healthier.

• Like 2

My reaction to the tetanus vaccine was quite different.  Within a few hours, the vaccination site swelled to the size of a baseball, blistered, and itched.  Next, I could no longer support my head.  It was like my neck was broken, or a wet noodle. That progressed to going in and out of consciousness throughout the afternoon.  I ended up in the ER.  I was told I could never have another tetanus vaccine in my life.  That was 33 years ago.

How horrible!

Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders by Kenneth Bock.

Obviously not all about vaccines but I remember some interesting studies in it and an alternative vaccine schedule. It address common childhood 'epidemic' illnesses which many claim come from vaccines. I honestly don't remember a lot other than it was a very informational book and may give you some insights you are looking for. 

• Like 1