Menu

Is this too obnoxious?

SparklyUnicorn

To ask another doctor for a refill on a prescription some other doctor gave me?  It's just for allergy eye drops.  I got them from an ophthalmologist, but I really don't want to go back there.  So I'm thinking of asking my allergist.  I was there fairly recently and I go there often for injections so I figure I could just send him an e-mail (through the patient portal thing). 

Can your pharmacy just request a refill from the original doc? All the doctors around here want patients to do that. They just communicate through escribe software.

I might try that first.  I just don't want to risk having to wait too long for them if they say no.  

Every time I go to that place though they do a bunch of routine stuff on me (that I do not ask them to do and do not want them to do) and then my insurance flips out and won't pay for it and I have to argue with them for months until they finally do.  

I could also just go to the regular doc.  I don't mind going in...I just don't want to deal with that ophthalmologist anymore. 

To ask another doctor for a refill on a prescription some other doctor gave me? It's just for allergy eye drops. I got them from an ophthalmologist, but I really don't want to go back there. So I'm thinking of asking my allergist. I was there fairly recently and I go there often for injections so I figure I could just send him an e-mail (through the patient portal thing).

I think it’s fine. Especially since you are asking your established allergist. You can even say you don’t want to go back to the other doctor.

• Like 4

Does it need refilled or renewed? If it's the former, you may just be able to call your pharmacy. The bottle should say [x refills remaining until y date].

Otherwise you can always ask the allergist to give you a prescription-- they may say no until they see you, but there's no reason why you can't ask.

Does it need refilled or renewed? If it's the former, you may just be able to call your pharmacy. The bottle should say [x refills remaining until y date].

Otherwise you can always ask the allergist to give you a prescription-- they may say no until they see you, but there's no reason why you can't ask.

renewed

I just saw the allergist and I am in their office at least once a week for injections.  I guess I'll just ask next time I go.  I don't see the allergist every time I go, but I guess they could tell me if they'd be willing to do that.

Otherwise, I'll go to my regular doc.  It's only eye drops and nothing particularly special. 

even when I've had one that needed to be renewed - call the pharmacy, just give more lead time.  they will call the dr's office for the rx, and get the renewal.

• Like 1

Even if you’re out of refills, they may still fill it, unless they feel like they have to see you before they do. There’s no reason not to ask the other doctor. Bring the bottle with you so they can see you’ve had this for a while.

That is what they SHOULD do (without making me make an appointment since I've been there three times in less than 4 months).  I just don't plan to go back there...ever.  So I am basically looking for another doctor to continue me on it and it makes sense to have the allergist do it if I'm going there regularly already.

• Like 1

That is what they SHOULD do (without making me make an appointment since I've been there three times in less than 4 months). I just don't plan to go back there...ever. So I am basically looking for another doctor to continue me on it and it makes sense to have the allergist do it if I'm going there regularly already.

Allergist makes most sense to me too.

• Like 1

Not obnoxious. I do that all the time. As long as it’s not something like a controlled substance or related to a very complicated diagnosis it’s fine. And even in those cases it’s doable, I just usually want records from the other doc to be able to document what we are doing and why.

Allergy eye drops would be no problem.

• Like 1