Menu

Latin Files - Where to put them?

StartingOver

So there is a free Latin course that is used by some here and the resource is about to be lost. The owner / author of the text, audio, help files has passed and he left no one in control. The current storage place is no longer supported so there is no way to take over, who knows when it will shut down completely. It can no longer be moderated. His elderly wife only has the ability to add new people to the group. I have approached her in hopes of receiving permission to continue his work, move all he has done to a more current place so all can continue to use it. I have received her permission now. I just don't know the best place to house all the files. Any suggestions?

I would be interested in learning more about this free Latin course.  What's the scoop? 

Latin Book One and Latin Book Two - Have moved to Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1370196286443545/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1951515371777993/

I have started this group in an effort to continue the work of a man who was dedicated to education. Donald Jerry Proffitt left us and no one controls the group at Yahoo Groups, since the groups are no longer supported I have requested of his wife to be able to take over and move the group. I take no credit for Mr. Proffitt's work, but only wish to share it with others.

Donald Jerry Proffitt, now deceased, was the founder of theYahoo Latin Groups LatinBk1 and LatinBookTwo. Mr. Proffitt was a true Renaissance Man, pursuing interests in music, art, literature, science, math, languages, history, and theater. His career included high school and college teaching in a number of fields, educational marketing of textbooks and computers, public speaking and acting. He retired from teaching in 2006, but remained a lifelong learner, studying Latin and preparing free study guides and learning materials for students around the globe.

• Like 3

Thank you for doing this.  We used these books for Latin for some time and I had all the files and so on, but I didn't have the vision you have of carrying on the work, and so I deleted everything some time ago, with a bit of sadness.  I think I sold the books online.  

Anyway, THANK YOU for taking this on and preserving the work of this man's life...and helping others to benefit by it.

Thank you! I just can't stand to see them go away. His wife isn't computer literate and can't access them anyway as he never gave her permission. I love the books, but could never use them without the answer keys. I am thankful she is trusting me with the honor.

I know not everyone is on Facebook, so if anyone can think of other places to chat and share files, I would be willing to look into them. 

I am not on facebook, but my son is - so I will forward this information to him.

Do you think this would be a good review course for someone who has taken Latin I and II at the college level a few years back but needs review before starting Latin again at the graduate level?

Thanks,

Myra

I am not on facebook, but my son is - so I will forward this information to him.

Do you think this would be a good review course for someone who has taken Latin I and II at the college level a few years back but needs review before starting Latin again at the graduate level?

Thanks,

Myra

Yes, I think it would.

I know not everyone is on Facebook, so if anyone can think of other places to chat and share files, I would be willing to look into them. 

Thank you for spending your valuable time in preserving such a good resource. My son is learning Latin, but I am not on facebook. Would it be easy for you to put these resources on Google Drive and share the folder? You could start a separate google account just for these resources if you do not want to use your personal google account. It is free and easy. 

• Like 1