Menu

This is Us- Jack's Death q- spoilers inside, of course.

Annie G

I plan to rewatch the episode later this week, as I was tired when I watched last night. But I'm so confused about something. So when they were at the hospital the game was on the tv and either Jack or Rebecca commented that they hadn't been able to see the end of the game. Why not? They were in bed when the fire started...did I miss how they didn't get to see the whole game? Last week we saw Jack cleaning up after the game, and I thought it was clear the game was over. 

I think (but I'm not sure) they didn't watch the game in real time because they went to bed (home alone sans kids and all :)). And then the game on in the hospital room might've been recaps?

Well, maybe. But I thought Jack turning the crock pot off when he cleaned the kitchen was after the game. 

I gotta pay more attention...this is not a show I can multitask through. 

• Like 1

I think (but I'm not sure) they didn't watch the game in real time because they went to bed (home alone sans kids and all :)). And then the game on in the hospital room might've been recaps?

Yes this is also what I think happened.  They headed to their bedroom during the game for some alone time since all the kids were gone.  

They showed this two episodes ago.

Edited by Nemom
  • Like 2

Well, maybe. But I thought Jack turning the crock pot off when he cleaned the kitchen was after the game. 

I gotta pay more attention...this is not a show I can multitask through. 

Yes, he cleaned up the kitchen after the game had ended. But they missed the game because they were in bed. So he got up afterward, cleaned the kitchen, left the crockpot plugged in, and went to bed to sleep.

• Like 3

Yes this is also what I think happened.  They headed to their bedroom during the game for some alone time since all the kids were gone.  

They showed this two episodes ago.

Well that explains it...I usually watch it On Demand while I sew in the  afternoon. So I'm really more like listening instead of watching. And my go to for explanations is my daughter, who also sews while watching. 

Thanks, guys...now it makes sense. 

Yes, I believe they were watching the game and started talking about them both being involved in the new house flipping business.  They got excited (in more ways than one  :coolgleamA: ) and missed the end of the game.  He went back down to clean up after.

DH and I watched this morning.  Lots of kleenex for me!

• Like 1

Ok, I liked this episode and am glad we finally know how Jack died. But, did anyone else feel like it was way overhyped?

I did feel like maybe everyone can finally kind of move on from JackĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s death and that maybe he can be a more minor character now. I liked the glimpse into TessĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s future and am curious if that is a one time thing or if we will see more of what the future holds for different characters.

• Like 3

Ok, I liked this episode and am glad we finally know how Jack died. But, did anyone else feel like it was way overhyped?

I did feel like maybe everyone can finally kind of move on from JackĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s death and that maybe he can be a more minor character now. I liked the glimpse into TessĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s future and am curious if that is a one time thing or if we will see more of what the future holds for different characters.

I waited two years to learn how Jack died and yes, I did feel like it was overhyped.  Also, I get that they wanted to show it after the Super Bowl because that's when he died and all, but it aired too late and after hours of game watching, so I was already tired of tv.  But I knew I needed to watch it live because I can't avoid spoilers on social media. 

It was sweet to see the glimpse into Tess as an adult but it felt rushed and crammed into the episode.  

• Like 1

One of my friends posted this on FB, I thought it was funny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ucjgl-4s2nw

That is funny.  I actually read after the episode that revealed the crock pot to be the cause of Jack's death that the company was like "Hey!  Wait a minute!  Now people are going think crockpots are faulty by nature! " (in a serious sense, not happy with that PR).  Funny to see that TIU addresses that on their behalf.  :D

Edited by milovany
  • Like 3

I watched it and it made me wonder how dysfunctional this family is. Nobody dealt with their grief.  I don't understand the memorialize the Superbowl every year and spend the day in fresh mourning/grief.  It's been 20 years.   I get sad at times over my dad's death and have a good cry but turn an entire day every year into reliving the moment like it was yesterday?   They just seem stuck like their life revolves around waiting for Sad day.  I liked Randal's approach to celebrate it because it was something his dad loved and even Kate's having her dads ashes in the room while watching the Superbowl.   But, her line of let me have one day to wallow and blame myself and relive the day I don't understand.

• Like 2

I watched it and it made me wonder how dysfunctional this family is. Nobody dealt with their grief.  I don't understand the memorialize the Superbowl every year and spend the day in fresh mourning/grief.  It's been 20 years.   I get sad at times over my dad's death and have a good cry but turn an entire day every year into reliving the moment like it was yesterday?   They just seem stuck like their life revolves around waiting for Sad day.  I liked Randal's approach to celebrate it because it was something his dad loved and even Kate's having her dads ashes in the room while watching the Superbowl.   But, her line of let me have one day to wallow and blame myself and relive the day I don't understand.

I'm with you.  After 20 years you'd think the least they could do is spend the day together watching the game and reminiscing.  I don't even like Miguel and I feel bad that he's banished for the day.

And I'll go ahead and say it- I don't think Jack was The Best Dad and Husband Ever.  

• Like 4

Is this thread title a spoiler?  I have wanted to watch that show and now I know that Jack (whoever he is) dies.  Is that something I would know from the beginning?  Or is that a spoiler?  If it's a spoiler...you might want to change the title.  :)

Is this thread title a spoiler? I have wanted to watch that show and now I know that Jack (whoever he is) dies. Is that something I would know from the beginning? Or is that a spoiler? If it's a spoiler...you might want to change the title. :)

No, not a spoiler. TheyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been teasing how it happened for two seasons.
  • Like 1

And I'll go ahead and say it- I don't think Jack was The Best Dad and Husband Ever.

I know! My husband asked me what made him so great and I said, Ă¢â‚¬Å“well...Ă¢â‚¬

I think he is a good dad, not the best ever, but far from the worst. He loved his wife and kids and wanted what was best for them. Nothing on the show other than them telling us he was the best ever had indicated he is the best ever.

• Like 1

I know! My husband asked me what made him so great and I said, Ă¢â‚¬Å“well...Ă¢â‚¬

I think he is a good dad, not the best ever, but far from the worst. He loved his wife and kids and wanted what was best for them. Nothing on the show other than them telling us he was the best ever had indicated he is the best ever.

Even marginal dads love their kids and want what's best for them. What makes them great is not wanting things, but doing things. And Jack did things, but he also screwed up a lot, too.  

Is it perhaps that since he's passed away they have put him on a pedestal? I know that happens often. 

I feel like when the kids were young he was kind of like a Disneyland Dad. All the Big Three enthusiasm and always being the fun guy, while it seems Rebecca had to do the hard parts. But maybe that's me speaking as a mom, who watches her own daughter work herself to the bone raising four kids, while her dh gets to be the Disneylad dad. (Actually Disney World, but now we're splitting hairs)

• Like 2

I feel relieved to finally know how he died and to understand how his death really messed them all up. The guilt they all carry around and never dealt with. I am sure mom tried her best but it seems like none of them got therapy.

I hope that now that we know how Jack died that we will get more glimpses into the future. But, I still want Jack flashbacks as they all finally get into a health place.

• Like 1

I agree, Jack wasn't any great dad. But that's how families should see their fathers/husbands, isn't it, particularly after an early/sudden death. If it were my husband, we'd be completely focusing on the good and say he was the best ever. And even when he was alive, didn't Rebecca promote this idea that he was the greatest? Like she had to convince herself?

His death would have taken place in the 80s. I'm thinking that's when counseling was becoming more of an accepted thing, I could certainly see families in the same situation not taking advantage of it. I have friends who went through different traumas, and the vast majority never had any kind of counseling, even in the few instances when it was offered.

I didn't realize it was on last night and read this thread anyway! I do appreciate the show's different perspective. As a parent, I could see giving special attention to Randall and Kate for various reasons, assuming that Kevin was rolling along just fine, not realizing how it could blow up big time down the road and how very much he needed special attention too. They are a normal, whacked out, messed up family, it's so easy to relate to them, even if circumstances are different!

• Like 4

See I think he is a great tv dad because he is flawed and so human. He messes up, and he fixes what he can. 

I also find it interesting that Randall and Kate have such fantastic partners. Maybe that is the take- away for them. Jack's kids cannot be as 'good' as he they perceive him to be, so they found partners that are just as good as he was. Beth and Toby are the best.  

That show has such great casting. The kids are amazing! 

• Like 4

I agree, Jack wasn't any great dad. But that's how families should see their fathers/husbands, isn't it, particularly after an early/sudden death. If it were my husband, we'd be completely focusing on the good and say he was the best ever. And even when he was alive, didn't Rebecca promote this idea that he was the greatest? Like she had to convince herself?

His death would have taken place in the 80s.

You're right- families should focus on the good attributes of their loved ones. And I think Jack would have been a fabulous grandpa!  

I'm having trouble with the timeline. If they were 17 when he died and it's 20 years later, wouldn't he have died in 1998? Which would have them being born in 1980 or 81? But I thought in the beginning it was the 1970's.  

Also, I am annoyed that they explained it as a widowmaker heart attack.  Just say he went into cardiac arrest due to too much smoke in the lungs, which put stress on his heart.   I'm mostly annoyed because we waited a long time for this episode and it felt rushed. They would have worked on him a long time, not just the time it took for Rebecca to choose a candy bar. Yeah, I get that they can't show how long it really would have taken, but it felt rushed.  Slow down so we have a chance to experience the emotions. 

The next few episodes might be more emotional than last night's. Now that it's out there, they can dive into issues more openly.   

• Like 2

I didn't watch it after the superbowl, I watched it today.   Maybe not being tired helps?  I thought it was a good episode.   I actually liked that there weren't all these shocking surprises, and that the episode mostly unfolded how I expected.

I think there is a lot of subtext going on within this family, that is clear.  I assume more of the reality of things will come out as the series continues to unfold.  Not that anyone was horrible, but no one was perfect.   Jack dying like he did makes me understand the hero worship of him more.

It's definitely not a good thing to go back into a fire to get a dog, and in doing so get yourself killed.   It's reckless, and egocentric, IMHO.   I also couldn't understand, did no one think to stop for 20 seconds and call 911?   They must have had a phone in the master bedroom.  Or did I miss that?  

• Like 1

You're right- families should focus on the good attributes of their loved ones. And I think Jack would have been a fabulous grandpa!  

I'm having trouble with the timeline. If they were 17 when he died and it's 20 years later, wouldn't he have died in 1998? Which would have them being born in 1980 or 81? But I thought in the beginning it was the 1970's.  

Also, I am annoyed that they explained it as a widowmaker heart attack.  Just say he went into cardiac arrest due to too much smoke in the lungs, which put stress on his heart.   I'm mostly annoyed because we waited a long time for this episode and it felt rushed. They would have worked on him a long time, not just the time it took for Rebecca to choose a candy bar. Yeah, I get that they can't show how long it really would have taken, but it felt rushed.  Slow down so we have a chance to experience the emotions. 

The next few episodes might be more emotional than last night's. Now that it's out there, they can dive into issues more openly.   

I thought in the first episode the kids were born in 1980.   

• Like 2

Ok, my Tivo cut off the last 8 min. or so.  ARGH!!!!!!!

Help me out.  What happened?  It ended with Kevin sitting under a tree telling his dad was a failure he was.....was there anything after that?

Total spoiler, but did you see the thing with Randall's daughter as an adult?

• Like 1

I thought in the first episode the kids were born in 1980.   

1980 fits with the timeline, but Thisistheday mentioned Jack would have died in the 80's.

I got married in 1980 so maybe I thought the kids were born in the 70's because it looked SO long ago. And it was.g 

I didn't watch it after the superbowl, I watched it today.   Maybe not being tired helps?  I thought it was a good episode.   I actually liked that there weren't all these shocking surprises, and that the episode mostly unfolded how I expected.

I'm sure not being tired helps. I also need to actually watch the episode instead of multitasking through them. 

I was born in 81 and I always felt like they were all nearly the same age as me. Everything happening to them was the same ages as for me. They dressed like I did at those ages, they saw movies at the ages I did..... And Randall's kids are the same age as mine. (Or at least Tess is, I haven't caught exactly how old Annie is.)

I didn't feel like Jack's death was too hyped. However, I only just started watching two weeks ago! It probably feels a lot less hyped when compressed into such a short time vs wondering and hypothesizing for two years! I kept hearing about it but just hadn't gotten around to it. And on that note, I don't think it's a good idea to binge this show like that. I watched the last 3-4 episodes yesterday to finish catching up in time for the new episode after the superbowl. I was kind of an emotional mess last night and I think it's because of back-to-backing the show like that. I can usually binge a show no problem but last night I was sobbing before the new episode even came on. 

I do think Jack was a great dad. But maybe that speaks more to my own crappy one than to Jack. ;) He was involved and he clearly loved them very much. He apologized to them when he wronged them. He provided, nurtured, helped them. He communicated with Rebecca and they were there for each other. These are all things that are great. He wasn't perfect by any means and I'm sure there are many better ones. But look at what Jack had as example....coming from that, he was pretty great. 

• Like 5

And I think heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a pretty good dad, but Best Ever?Eh. I think heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a pretty realistic good dad.

A pretty realistic good dad -- doesn't that then almost default to best dad ever? I don't know, I think my partner is a really good dad and honestly expect our kids to think he is the best dad ever. And well, compared to every father I've known, he is the best I've ever known.... all perspective, of course, but that is this entire show. 

• Like 4

See I think he is a great tv dad because he is flawed and so human. He messes up, and he fixes what he can.

I also find it interesting that Randall and Kate have such fantastic partners. Maybe that is the take- away for them. Jack's kids cannot be as 'good' as he they perceive him to be, so they found partners that are just as good as he was. Beth and Toby are the best.

That show has such great casting. The kids are amazing!

Beth and Toby are fantastic! I think the casting all around is great.
  • Like 1

And on that note, I don't think it's a good idea to binge this show like that. I watched the last 3-4 episodes yesterday to finish catching up in time for the new episode after the superbowl. I was kind of an emotional mess last night and I think it's because of back-to-backing the show like that. I can usually binge a show no problem but last night I was sobbing before the new episode even came on.

I only binged the first season and was a huge mess, this is definitely the kind of show that I need time to think about after each episode.

• Like 1

I only binged the first season and was a huge mess, this is definitely the kind of show that I need time to think about after each episode.

I needed time to absorb and think about the episodes in the first season. The first three were so emotional. If I binged those I might have stopped watching...it would have been too much for me. 

• Like 1

Even marginal dads love their kids and want what's best for them. What makes them great is not wanting things, but doing things. And Jack did things, but he also screwed up a lot, too.  

Is it perhaps that since he's passed away they have put him on a pedestal? I know that happens often. 

I feel like when the kids were young he was kind of like a Disneyland Dad. All the Big Three enthusiasm and always being the fun guy, while it seems Rebecca had to do the hard parts. But maybe that's me speaking as a mom, who watches her own daughter work herself to the bone raising four kids, while her dh gets to be the Disneylad dad. (Actually Disney World, but now we're splitting hairs)

I actually felt like it was pretty "real life." 

At least in my world. By default, the parent who is home more does more of the "hard parenting" and a lot of it is done by the time Dad gets home. That doesn't make my DH, for example, less of a great dad because he has more "down time" with the kids than "hard times"... it's just the way things pan out, timing-wise.

I think most parents do a lot of good things for their kids -- and screw up a lot of things along the way. In most families I know, much of the screwing up happens when the parents are younger and with the first kid, with things evening out to more good and fewer screw ups with subsequent children... so I think it's worth giving Jack a bit of a break that they had all three of their kids at once -- so, no opportunities to have just the one and say along the way, "Well, this isn't working -- won't do it with the next one!"    :P 

• Like 1

I think there is a lot of subtext going on within this family, that is clear.  I assume more of the reality of things will come out as the series continues to unfold.  Not that anyone was horrible, but no one was perfect.   Jack dying like he did makes me understand the hero worship of him more.

It's definitely not a good thing to go back into a fire to get a dog, and in doing so get yourself killed.   It's reckless, and egocentric, IMHO.   I also couldn't understand, did no one think to stop for 20 seconds and call 911?   They must have had a phone in the master bedroom.  Or did I miss that?  

I would be hard-pressed to keep my big-as-I-am teenage daughter from running in to rescue her dogs if the house were ablaze. It would be up to DH (who outweighs her) to literally tackle her to the ground to prevent it. Sometimes emotions override logic... and I don't think that makes a person egocentric, kwim?

And I grew up in the late-80's and throughout the 90's. We only had one house phone (in the kitchen) until very late 90's or later. 

Also, I am annoyed that they explained it as a widowmaker heart attack. Just say he went into cardiac arrest due to too much smoke in the lungs, which put stress on his heart. I'm mostly annoyed because we waited a long time for this episode and it felt rushed. They would have worked on him a long time, not just the time it took for Rebecca to choose a candy bar. Yeah, I get that they can't show how long it really would have taken, but it felt rushed. Slow down so we have a chance to experience the emotions.

It's called the Widowmaker because death is quite rapid. There is no working on them for a long time. You are dead.

• Like 2

I thought it was a good episode. I don't turn the day my dad died into an event every year but the last time I saw and talked with him was an Easter Sunday (he was in an accident just a few days later) and so Easter is always rough for me - even though it's been almost 20 years. It doesn't matter that it always falls on a different day. I remember that entire day so clearly even now and it's tough. So, I can understand how the family views Superbowl Sunday differently and dwells on it that day. 

I also get the family thinking he was the best dad ever. Don't most families think their dad is the best dad ever unless he's really horrible? 

On a final note, we reminded our dc while watching the show that we would not be running back into a burning house for pets or photo albums. I reminded dh that if he did something so stupid that I would be seriously ticked. 

• Like 4

On a final note, we reminded our dc while watching the show that we would not be running back into a burning house for pets or photo albums. I reminded dh that if he did something so stupid that I would be seriously ticked.

I ordered fire escape ladders for my kidsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ rooms. Our bedroom is on the first floor, theirs is on the second. Edited by Rach
  • Like 3

I had that same exact crock pot that set the fire in the show. I just threw it out three weeks ago. I have protected my family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced Smoke alarms/CO detectors on all three levels in the past week. If I had the same crock pot I might have gotten rid of it, too. Was yours old? It looked like an old style. 

• Like 1

I haven't read the other replies, but did it seem weird that she ate some candy bar after being told by the Dr. that her husband just died!?!  And I mean wouldn't they have spent way more time reviving him than it took her being on the phone right there while everyone was running around.  And then the staff just all go back to work and there is dead Jack laying on the table in the room all alone.  

I was so disappointed in the way this played out.  I needed to see some gut wrenching emotion like when Randall's dad died.  I don't have any closure with this. :) 

• Like 2

I haven't read the other replies, but did it seem weird that she ate some candy bar after being told by the Dr. that her husband just died!?!  And I mean wouldn't they have spent way more time reviving him than it took her being on the phone right there while everyone was running around.  And then the staff just all go back to work and there is dead Jack laying on the table in the room all alone.  

I was so disappointed in the way this played out.  I needed to see some gut wrenching emotion like when Randall's dad died.  I don't have any closure with this. :) 

1980 fits with the timeline, but Thisistheday mentioned Jack would have died in the 80's.

I got married in 1980 so maybe I thought the kids were born in the 70's because it looked SO long ago. And it was.g 

Oops, you all are right. Sometimes the years--on the show and IRL!--blend together. It would have been mid-later 90s then that he died.