Menu

S/0 paint colors

fairfarmhand

In the hg tv thread, someone talked about gray paint all over the place. It got me curious. How is your house painted? We have tons of color here. Most of the living area is a cheerful buttery yellow. My bedroom and our bonus room and bathroom are robins egg blue. My kids rooms are A gray called gravity gray from Lowe’s. One kids room adds lavender to the gray which is beautiful, another adds red and black to the gray which works well. We’re in the process of redoing the last kids bedroom in gray with aqua accents.

I love my yellow best of all though.

How is your house painted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

living room is light yellow - it used to be my craft room and I loved it for that color. 
bedroom is a light blue - was that way when we moved in 11 years ago. 
everything else is white. 

oh but the kitchen has some kind of wallboard with small yellow print, so I guess it's yellow too. 

But yeah, everything else is white and I think I'm one of the few people that like white. 

Rooms we didn’t choose: Living space and kitchen are sage green. While I can live with it, I really want to redo if.

Bathrooms and hallway are off white. I like it for one bathroom and the hallway but not the other bathroom.

Rooms we painted:

Accent wall on the sage green is a deep navy blue. It’s the only wall I truly love in our living space. It was originally an orangey red, which I couldn’t stand.

my bedroom is a light warm greige. It’s the perfect neutral.

Dd’s Room is off white with a deep-blue green accent wall. Very pretty, she picked out the colors.

Ds’s room is light gray with a dodger blue accent wall. Perfect for him.

I guess I’m kind of boring.

1880 house here and we use color to give each room its own feel. So while several rooms are just a typical shade of light tan, some have a lot more color. Most are period colors - there is green in the kitchen, a terra cotta living room, a yellow bedroom. 

I'm sure whoever buys our house will want to repaint to more typical colors but I don't see how this house would look good in all gray or all one color. To me that is boring. 

Having said that, some houses we have looked at recently have had such things as lime green hallway, fire engine red kitchen, super bright orange living room, purple master bedroom. So when I say I like color, I don't mean like that. g

Most of the house is light grey or tan (previous owners) plus one kids room is bright light green.

The only change I have made is to paint the kitchen and dining nook deep navy blue!

It was a risk, but it's gorgeous, rich, and elegant. I think it works because there's not very much wall space (cabinets, backsplash, big windows) and because we have an open floor plan and high ceilings. (DH thought I was nuts.)

My living room and kitchen are a beige color. Love it as my house is tiny. I have tried color and I can't live with it. Currently the kids rooms and our rooms are yellow and I am thinking of just making then beige so anything and everything matches. Our batroom is a aqua color I guess. The actual name is turquoise mist from Lowe's what brand I don't remember. I love it. I can't think of my beige color name. I think the yellow is pale sunlight or something like that. I hate picking paint colors, so I just feel safe in a nice beige house. :lol:

eta the neutral color is called Hopsack from Valspar. I love the color, but kind of wish I had gone a bit darker.

Edited by Elizabeth86

We moved here four years ago and painted everything and tried a lot of color.

I am not good with color.  The kitchen.  Ack.

I finally have things how I like them I think.

Kitchen - golden yellow

Laundry - changing to same golden yellow

Dining Room & Entry - tan

Basement - tan

Bedrooms - switched most to tan or gray neutral.  Gone are the days of letting kids pick wall color.  One room is still pale aqua and another is still a spring green.  Our bedroom is a beyond pale blue that I LOVE.

Main bathroom - pale blue/tint aqua

Front door - Naval

Living room - my absolute favorite - a very pale mauve and the fireplace has a color called Tibetan Temple - deep, dark brown/purple.

I love color and adore my friends who do it well in their houses but I'm not great at it.  The one thing I hate?  Red.  We lived in two houses that had deep, dark reds and I hate red above all things.

Paint funny  - If you go into HD and ask for Naval - spell it for them.  Apparently Sherwin Williams has TWO paint colors called this.

1. Naval - a navy blue

2. Navel - a bright "navel" orange

We were both a little shocked at the color of that mistint!

We painted the whole house before we moved into our new to us house.  We used Ben Moore paint, but they matched colors from other brands.

Main color is Ben Moore Clay Beige (hallways, dining room, family room, kitchen, loft on 3rd floor)

Living room is Behr Dusty Olive

Powder room is Behr Stone Walls

DH's office is Behr Cayman Bay

Master bedroom is Behr Sculptor Clay

Craft room Behr Aster (a pretty lavender and my favorite - only girly room)

Playroom is Clay Beige with an accent wall (Martha Stewart Darkening Sky)

Boys' bedrooms have the same deep red accent wall (Behr Cherry Tart).  One chose Behr Mesa Taupe for his other 3 walls.  The other chose Behr Paris.

Boys' bathroom is Ben Moore White Sand

School room is Behr Tahoe Blue

Guest room and 3rd floor bathroom Martha Stewart Fledgling (it's ok, but I don't love this one)

I love yellow paint colors.  Not sure why I don't have any in my house.

ETA:  Updated wtih my actual paint colors -- I found them and have been wanting to put them in my home binder  :hurray: ).

Edited by mlktwins

We have a lot of color and get a lot of compliments. I think a lot of people are used to neutral and so are surprised by the color. We also have a fairly uncluttered house with lots of light. Our furniture is mostly white or black with lots of clean lines. I think that helps the color not feel like too much. 

Our living area is mostly a blue, fairly light. We have one super bright yellow wall that extends into the foyer and main living area. (We have a split foyer house and a large open area as the main upstairs.) 

Our bedroom is a pale green. Boys’ room is mostly blue with one red wall. When we moved in oldest wanted it all red but I convinced him to do just the one wall as I though all bright red would be too much. Daughter’s bedroom was just redone this summer, it is blue with pink and purple accents...all her choices. Kids’ bathroom is bright blue. Our downstairs family room is green. Guest room is blue, guest bathroom is yellow. 

Our kitchen is still the ugly beige color that the whole house was when we moved in seven years ago. (I’m not saying all beige is ugly, but this one was.) It really needs painting and we’ll likely do it this summer. I haven’t been able to decide what color, which is why it has been the last thing to be done. It has a weird brick wall and I’m not sure if we’ll paint it...probably. I don’t really like our kitchen but it’s all good quality so we don’t really want to spend money just to aesthetically change it. Like the cabinets are good quality wood, but not what I would choose. The counters are granite, but we don’t really like it. That kind of thing. 

When we paint the kitchen we might paint the main area again. It needs it. Not sure if we will do the same blue or go with a different color or something more neutral. I like the color but it’s also fun to change things up. I also do like white, and could see going that route. 

Edited by Alice

We have a lot of color. I love it. Our house was painted when we moved in, and the previous owners have taste just like ours. When we met for dinner before closing, it was as like meeting older versions of ourselves. They chose some of my absolute favorite colors.

Our tall ceilinged foyer and entryway is a shade of white that I love. I couldn’t picture color there. We just repainted that.

Dining room is red. I love red dining rooms.

Kitchen and breakfast nook - warm yellow.

Powder room a deep maroon - I don’t care for that one, it shows dust. It’s beautifully done though.

Living room is a pale, warm brown.

Office is a taupe.

Our master bedroom is my favorite - tall ceilings, great light. It’s faux finished in a light sea foam. The bath is a deep almost teal, but more green.

DS’s room is a dark, dark purple that almost looks black. It isn’t too dark, as he has huge picture windows.

DD’s room is a faux finished taupe, with pink tones.

The guest room is light blue - needs to be changed, it’s the only color that feels just thrown up on the walls, and not special.

The kids’ bath is lavender with polka dots.

All of the above trim is white.

And our basement halls and guest room - a warm yellow with warm wood trim.

Our big room in the basement is a cooler yellow that we plan to change soon.

We mostly have builders-grade (more accurately, flippers-grade) beige-ish walls.  We're well overdue for a paint job and gearing up to do it this spring (a pale, earthy green) but it's going to be a giant pain with our vaulted ceilings and tons of odd shaped/sized windows. Sigh.

I did paint my kitchen cabinets gray.

The kids rooms were painted (blue, and pink and purple) years ago because they're simple boxes.  They need to be redone.
One bathroom (also a box with no window) is a blue/gray.

Mostly grey.:)  But I 've loved grey since before HGTV.  I don't even watch those shows.

Kitchen-TBD

Dining-French grey top/white bottom

Office-dark lavender /French grey upper boarder

Music Room-butter yellow/French grey upper boarder

Entry/common areas(2 floor) Watery(Light blue)-Lots of white trim

Family Room Beige(basement)

We have pewter hardwood floors throughout. 

We rent, so not our choice. This house is brown. It already feels like a small house, and the brown carpets and brown walls make it feel much smaller and darker.

This was the rental we lived in. The floors were wood or brown. The cabinets were painted chocolate brown. The walls were camel colored. So much brown. It was awful.

We bought our current house last year. Its still stock builders beige. I hate it but havent had time to fix it. Plus, Im still mulling over the colors. We did paint ds' room cobalt blue. It sounds awful but I like it. Bright and cheerful.

We love color.

We have done shades of blue and green for this house, though I would have made some yellow if dh would have let me. :)  The living room is white because it is deeply shaded, so the white brightens the room and makes the paintings stand out. The paintings are saturated with color. I plan to paint the basement rec room a sunshiney yellow and the office will be aqua or blue if I can ever get around to it.

Didn't read all the replies, but our house is Colonial style, and all the walls are white and the trim light gray . . . the exact opposite of the current trend!

But it was like this when we moved in 25 years ago, & the classic Colonial style inside-and-out will eventually be appealing to SOMEONE when we sell in the next few years!

Right?!?

My in-laws repainted their entire house in "Applesauce Cake" color = a deep tan, to prepare it for sale.

They also removed "busy wallpaper" (as we helped them sell it).

We wonder if the buyers were happy with that, or will immediately be repainting!

I have a brown that I've loved long and it's been the color on the walls in the main living part of our house for many years.  We moved six months ago and this time I went with white in the living room.  I was ready to try something different.  The jury is still out on whether I'm going to keep the white or add some color.  I did paint the family room my much-loved brown, though. 

Living room/hallway - white

Family room - hot-chocolate with whipped brown

Our bedroom - frozen pond blue

Boys' bedroom - two different grays, one medium and the other darker

Daughter's bedroom - a peaceful blue

Main bathroom - an aqua blue

Small bathroom - light yellow

Hubby's man cave - medium gray

Dining room and kitchen - white

I don't really consider the overall way colors go together throughout the house.  I let the rooms (and the people in them) choose their colors.  I've never been into yellow (I didn't choose the yellow in the small bathroom, it was here already) and am definitely not into any kind of green walls.  I don't know why, but green has never been part of my decorating phronema.

Edited by milovany

I am painting most of our interior, walls and molding, Behr’s Swiss Coffee, a white, because we don’t get much natural light, the color is easy to work with, and I can get the paint off the shelf.

Our ceiling is all beams. The actual ceiling is made up of concrete slabs with lots of pits. I filled in all the gaps and deeper pits with Durabond and then primed and painted using Behr’s white ceiling paint.

The master bath will be painted a very light blue gray.

Most of the rooms in our house I've never repainted - our kids were small and it didn't seem worth it as the paint was in good shape and not horrific.

One room we did repaint was our living room which was what we called "Pepto."  It was a bedroom at the time we painted it though.   Now it is a sort of light warm grey called Cornforth White.  I'd have chosen something more colourful had it been a living room at the time, but that room is quite dark in the evening so I have to be careful about how dark the paint is.  The other thing is I like the F&B greys better than most as they have fairly complex pigments.

We also painted out bedroom.  It's kind of apple green, like a granny smith.  Dh went and got the paint, so it isn't what I'd have bought.  But it is cheery and I like the room.

My dd13's room is a sort of warm yellow like an egg yolk.  It's a north side room with east light and tends to feel chilly.

The other rooms have some colour the kitchen is a light green with blue undertones, main dining/hall area is yellow with a greenish undertone, bathroom is the colour of a Tiffany box, and the second bedroom and all upstairs is light blue.  I actually like all the colours in themselves, I don't think I'd enjoy beige or white or all neutrals.

1880 house here and we use color to give each room its own feel. So while several rooms are just a typical shade of light tan, some have a lot more color. Most are period colors - there is green in the kitchen, a terra cotta living room, a yellow bedroom. 

I'm sure whoever buys our house will want to repaint to more typical colors but I don't see how this house would look good in all gray or all one color. To me that is boring. 

Having said that, some houses we have looked at recently have had such things as lime green hallway, fire engine red kitchen, super bright orange living room, purple master bedroom. So when I say I like color, I don't mean like that. g

I rented an apartment once with a fire engine coloured kitchen.  The floor was black and white squares.  I thought it worked surprisingly well.

• Like 1

When we bought our house it was all painted dark grey - walls, ceilings, banister, everything (oh, except for the parts upstairs that were painted a yellow that looked as though smokers had lived here for 100 years) .  The carpet was (and still is in many places) industrial grade grey/blue.  

One of the first things we did was to paint everything white.  The house is old (1892) and needed insulation, electrical upgrading, walls moved/replaced, plumbing changes.  So after we gutted the second floor, we painted it - all sorts of different colours.

Master bedroom/now office - peapod green.

My office/now DS's bedroom - deep red on top half/white on bottom half.

DH's office/now our bedroom - taupe

Random back room/now DD's bedroom - was a piney sort of green, she has repainted it a light turquoise with a darker turquoise accent wall.

Bathroom - Deep bright blue

As we've redone the main floor or gotten tired of white, we've also painted.

Kitchen - also a green, like a green apple

Living room - pale blue - not that fond of it

Library - not much wall is visible but that which is is another bright green

Hall - pale yellow

Mudroom/pantry - white

The basement is all white - ceiling is low, not a lot of natural light, that made sense.

I like colour.  I like lots of colours.  

I've done all the painting in the house myself.

Our cottage is similarly attired in many different colours - we used 8 different colours and then white in the laundry/storage area.  The painters we hired hated me.

I rented an apartment once with a fire engine coloured kitchen.  The floor was black and white squares.  I thought it worked surprisingly well.

I can see how that would work. I like red, black, and white together.  The kitchen we saw was a galley kitchen and it was dark, and the fire engine red didn't work well w the honey oak cabinets.  It needed something lighter.  But paint is so easy to change...I don't understand people who pass on a house just because of interior colors. So easy to fix. 

• Like 1

Lots of dark, rich colors everywhere.  

I'm getting tired of the orange kitchen and will be painting it a light blue this summer.  

Otherwise, the colors are all dark and rich.  Olive greens, medium blues, oranges, bright yellows.  Touches of pastel on various walls.  Not every wall in every room is the same color.  It's a riot of color in here!

I can see how that would work. I like red, black, and white together. The kitchen we saw was a galley kitchen and it was dark, and the fire engine red didn't work well w the honey oak cabinets. It needed something lighter. But paint is so easy to change...I don't understand people who pass on a house just because of interior colors. So easy to fix.

I can tell you a couple reasons—painting every room isn’t cheap when you have to pay someone to do it and it’s too much work for middle-aged buyers. First time homebuyers might be willing but they also get spooked by homes that need a lot of work.

One room or two, ok, but every.single.one? In a house that’s well over 400k (and the median is 275-300k)? Are they smoking crack??

DH and I are too old to do that much painting ourselves (we don’t do DIY moves anymore either) and too cheap to pay for someone else’s color wheel foolishness (I’m talking royal blue, Pepto pink, lime green and lavender, all in the same house...we’ve seen this.).

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

Yeah some people have paint taste that lacks a theme or unity, and those are the paint jobs that looks craycray.

It is expensive to pay someone else, but it shouldn’t be a deal breaker. I’m amazed at the people who accept major mechanical and system issues with a home as ‘no big deal’ but freak or about paint. They will buy anything with the right lipstick but not a house with good bones and carefully maintained but a little ugly.

Our gain, we just bought one of these for 15k below market value in a hot market :p

Indeed. I tend to think that’s more of a newbie buyer thing tho. This is our third buy and I’m most concerned about the systems but I don’t want to waste my reno budget on painting bedrooms when I need it to gut a kitchen, two baths, and install new flooring throughout, KWIM?

I can tell you a couple reasons—painting every room isn’t cheap when you have to pay someone to do it and it’s too much work for middle-aged buyers. First time homebuyers might be willing but they also get spooked by homes that need a lot of work.

One room or two, ok, but every.single.one? In a house that’s well over 400k (and the median is 275-300k)? Are they smoking crack??

DH and I are too old to do that much painting ourselves (we don’t do DIY moves anymore either) and too cheap to pay for someone else’s color wheel foolishness (I’m talking royal blue, Pepto pink, lime green and lavender, all in the same house...we’ve seen this.).

I can see this to an extent, but it just seems to me that there are so many things that are totally impossible or extremely difficult to change.Layout and location, size of yard, in particular.

I've never really been in a situation where those elements were so equally desirable in different houses that it came down to paint colours.

• Like 1

We mostly have builders-grade (more accurately, flippers-grade) beige-ish walls.  We're well overdue for a paint job and gearing up to do it this spring (a pale, earthy green) but it's going to be a giant pain with our vaulted ceilings and tons of odd shaped/sized windows. Sigh.

I did paint my kitchen cabinets gray.

The kids rooms were painted (blue, and pink and purple) years ago because they're simple boxes.  They need to be redone.

One bathroom (also a box with no window) is a blue/gray.

(sorry, off topic)  Did you do that yourself?  Were they painted or stained before you repainted them?  Did you have to sand them down first?  We have a lot of cabinetry that is currently stained a medium-dark wood color.  I either want to re-stain them with other colors or (preferably) paint them but the job is so huge, I can't imagine ever actually finishing it on my own....just the sanding alone would defeat me.  And dh doesn't want to pay the enormous cost of having it done.  Our builder did not use a good polyurethane on them so they ding and scratch very easily and they look terrible after 6.5 years.  Any tips you have would be appreciated.

I can see how that would work. I like red, black, and white together.  The kitchen we saw was a galley kitchen and it was dark, and the fire engine red didn't work well w the honey oak cabinets.  It needed something lighter.  But paint is so easy to change...I don't understand people who pass on a house just because of interior colors. So easy to fix. 

Yes, I don't think it would work with natural oak cabinets.  Maybe birch, but ours were just cheap white laminate.

• Like 1

I can see this to an extent, but it just seems to me that there are so many things that are totally impossible or extremely difficult to change.Layout and location, size of yard, in particular.

I've never really been in a situation where those elements were so equally desirable in different houses that it came down to paint colours.

It’s really a matter of priorities. In the area we’re searching there are TONS of homes in the same price range, built around the same time, with the same layouts and lot size (about 1/4 to a 1/3 acre). The only distinguishing factors are school zones and finishes. The homes with good systems almost universally need kitchen, bath and flooring upgrades. Paint in non-essential spaces just isn’t where I’d want my money to go.

• Like 1

(sorry, off topic)  Did you do that yourself?  Were they painted or stained before you repainted them?  Did you have to sand them down first?  We have a lot of cabinetry that is currently stained a medium-dark wood color.  I either want to re-stain them with other colors or (preferably) paint them but the job is so huge, I can't imagine ever actually finishing it on my own....just the sanding alone would defeat me.  And dh doesn't want to pay the enormous cost of having it done.  Our builder did not use a good polyurethane on them so they ding and scratch very easily and they look terrible after 6.5 years.  Any tips you have would be appreciated.

Not the quoted poster but I painted my kitchen cabinets 6-7 years ago, all on my own.  And I'm about to paint them a new color... :p  (Long story short, my floor needs replacing and we're going wood, which will make my kitchen super-dark with our  current barn-red cabinets....so I'm lightening them up to gray or white.)

It wasn't that big of a deal, honestly.  I had cheap-o builders grade cabinets.  My tips are:

Cover floor and counters.

Degrease with some cleaning product.

Rough them up just a little bit with sandpaper, just a little.  

Prime

Paint using a dense foam roller (the small ones) and do small bits with a brush.

Obviously, remove the doors before you paint them.  Remove the hardware.

Make yourself a painting/drying station - somewhere you can prop doors while you are painting them/drying.

If you have a lot of doors, keep track of where they came from.

I am 50 and painting everything but the two story entry and vaulted living room myself. I have found that painting and especially prepping correctly is just too expensive. It’s hard to get someone who will labor over proper repair of drywall tape or junky trim corners like I will. If I hear million dollars, I guess I could, but I do not. I want it right. I am not a decorator or neat nick, but I guess it’s just my thing.

• Like 1

living room is beige from the previous owners

hallway is a yellowish beige from previous owners

In Valspar colors, I painted...

master bathroom Lucy Blue

master bedroom Jazzy Red

girl room Sienna Red

boys' room dark brown below chair rail (still trying to find the paint chip), and "lightsaber" red and green above chair rail

I let them choose their own colors  :lol:

I just painted the kitchen and kids' bathroom SW Mountain Air, but I would have preferred Valspar's Ocean Soul, expect we're wanting to move one day, so...  :glare:   Mountain Air's not a bad color, we just like COLOR.  DH hates yellow and green.  We'll have the living room and hall painted SW Agreeable Gray soonish, too.

I am 50 and painting everything but the two story entry and vaulted living room myself. I have found that painting and especially prepping correctly is just too expensive. It’s hard to get someone who will labor over proper repair of drywall tape or junky trim corners like I will. If I hear million dollars, I guess I could, but I do not. I want it right. I am not a decorator or neat nick, but I guess it’s just my thing.

I’m not saying it can’t be done, I’m saying I don’t think the willingness paint a whole house is the norm among buyers, for good reason. It’s expensive, and that cost can be paid with your time or with your money. Of course, buyers can also decide those aren’t things they want to pay for at all (with time or money). When there are lots of comparable homes, that’s an option too.

Our main areas are a warm cream.

Our schoolroom is the cream with trim and an accent wall of French country blue. I love it!

Our main bath is bright white with Atlantis blue walls — light but bright blue. The perfect blue sky beach blue.

Our kitchen is the sunniest prettiest yellow, called sunbeam.

I keep trying to fit kingfisher blue or Hawaiian teal in somewhere for something, but they’re so bold that they haven’t worked yet. I like lighter neutral colors with some pops of brighter.

• Like 1

We love color!

Our family room and front foyer are a medium tan.  But we have a coffered ceiling in our family room and the ceiling portion between the white trim is a burgundy color.

Our kitchen is a sage green, but not much of it is showing because the kitchen is mainly cabinets/backsplash tile, etc.

Our breakfast room is also green, but about 3/4 of the wall is covered with wainscoting, so it is only the top that is painted.

The dining room is painted a color called Old Gold.

One main floor bathroom is burgundy, but 3/4 of the walls are covered by white bead board, so the burgundy is only on the top 1/4 of the walls.

The other bathroom on the main floor is a sage green with some type of paint technique on it.  

Our back hall and laundry room are a greyish blue.

That's just the first floor.  Our bedrooms and bathrooms are also painted colors as well. 

Not the quoted poster but I painted my kitchen cabinets 6-7 years ago, all on my own.  And I'm about to paint them a new color... :p  (Long story short, my floor needs replacing and we're going wood, which will make my kitchen super-dark with our  current barn-red cabinets....so I'm lightening them up to gray or white.)

It wasn't that big of a deal, honestly.  I had cheap-o builders grade cabinets.  My tips are:

Cover floor and counters.

Degrease with some cleaning product.

Rough them up just a little bit with sandpaper, just a little.  

Prime

Paint using a dense foam roller (the small ones) and do small bits with a brush.

Obviously, remove the doors before you paint them.  Remove the hardware.

Make yourself a painting/drying station - somewhere you can prop doors while you are painting them/drying.

If you have a lot of doors, keep track of where they came from.

Thanks for this; it is very reassuring!

I moved into my place 7 years ago. I was excited because for the first time in my life I could choose wall colours. So far I have managed to paint the roof and the small back bedroom ds10 has. The roof is mid grey and no longer rusty and ds10's bedroon has two walls in 'new bud' (almost but not lime green) and two in a mid to dark grey to match the blind. I still have a nasty high gloss blue toned white in tge kitchen, faded cream and brown wallpaper in the lounge, peeling wall paper in the front room and a hideous badly done paint job in the bathroom.

I want to paint my bathroom this color, but I'm having trouble finding a match: https://m.imgur.com/a/Op7x4

We live in a cabin style house with lots of warm wood. Most of it is logs, but there's some drywall upstairs in the two bathrooms and three bedrooms. Currently they're all an off-white...I call it cigarette smoker white, since it reminds me of the slightly yellow residue in smokers' houses. I'd be much happier with White Dove or Simply White by Benjamin Moore, but my DH thinks it's crazy to repaint a wall that's already white. I know it's done a lot, but I'm also tempted to do Revere Pewter because I think that particular gray works great with wood tones.

If money was no object, we'd do the accent wall in the nursery with peel and stick wallpaper like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/533030865/oh-deer-mural-forest-bunny-scene?ref=shop_home_active_14

Oh yeah, and there is one single wall downstairs in the dining room that the previous owners put bright red garish wallpaper on. It's even textured. We're debating whether to make that wall a giant chalkboard, since we'll be homeschooling there, or to buy peel and stick reclaimed wood from Stikwood.

Edited by Epicurean
  • Like 1

I had to laugh as the house I have now came with Pepto pink dining/family room, lavender living room, and aqua bedroom.

I love the bright sunny yellow laundry room and Clary sage bedroom and master bath. I know the sage is "out" now but I love it.

I had to laugh as the house I have now came with Pepto pink dining/family room, lavender living room, and aqua bedroom.

I love the bright sunny yellow laundry room and Clary sage bedroom and master bath. I know the sage is "out" now but I love it.

:lol: I'm batting 1000 with you! FTR, I do enjoy colors, just not those.

Well, I had two awful factors working for me, lol. 

Our kitchen is TINY.  4 small drawers, 5 upper doors (two of those being over the range) and 6 lower doors.  And they were all pretty much wrecked to begin with, so I wasn't worried about ruining them.  The bottoms in particular had almost no protective covering left.  They were over 20yo light/gold oak doors.

If I were interested in a real solid remodel, I absolutely would go with sanding.  For me, this was a quicky fix just to let me stop looking at a miserable kitchen, lol.

The kids helped me with scrubbing everything down with a goo-gone product once I took everything apart.  I did some minor sanding on the roughest spots. I sealed them with two coats of Killz, and then they got 3 coats of satin latex paint.  I also did most of the cabinet interiors and then lined them with clear shelf liner.  (The deep corner cabinet was left bare, because come on!)

Problems:  I did some of the painting on hot days in strong sunlight.  I wouldn't recommend that, but we were having iffy weather at the time, and I grabbed every opportunity I could.  Again, full sanding would have been good.  I probably also should have been more careful to use thinner coats. There are a few spots that have crackled in some corners since then. (They're not flat cabinet fronts.)

Out of direct sunlight, I've been able to see where a few spots need touching up.  Not a big deal since we jarred extra paint, but I just haven't gotten to it.

Also, take care when putting them back up. I still have one crooked door that I've ignored this whole time b/c I'm still sick of dealing with cabinets, lol.

Because of the weather and having other responsibilities, it did take a few weeks to complete.  It was a big job and I did it mostly by myself.  I'm very happy with the results. If I had a garage or an empty shed where I could have set up, it would have been a lot easier and I think I would have avoided the problems above.

Of course, my feelings are based on the difference between what I had before and what I have now!  I'm sure starting with garbage colors my perspective.  ;)

• Like 2

I've seen latex enamel paint recommended for cabinets; it's supposedly a harder finish. I second the foam rollers, for the final coat at the very least. I brushed mine, and they look decent, but not glass-smooth. They're SW Antique White. I actually degreased and sanded alllll the old finish off.

Edited by CES2005

I'm in the process of repainting the entire house.  I've done all the kids rooms upstairs.  Three have various shades of gray and the other a light blue.  Husbands office is a rich medium blue I love.  Rest of the house is currently a very old color by Kwal called Mushroom Basket.  I've loved it over the years but I'm thinking I'd like something different.  We will do all the work ourselves, we always do so when I think of doing it all and not loving the color I freeze.  

I definitely like a neutral background and adding color with art, rugs, and furniture.  Currently my house is a bit too brown looking and I want to perk it up. Floors are hardwood (brown) and tile (travertine)