Menu

SAT test prep class?

I think I want my son to take an SAT test prep class--I think. My student isn't trying to get into elite colleges, so we're not going to get him a private test prep tutor or anything like that. He's in 10th grade now and he will be going to college. It would be awesome if he could get a bit of merit aid, but I don't expect he'll be getting perfect scores on the SAT.  

We don't need a hardcore test prep class.  We just need a class to help him do the best he can do, without grinding him down with hours and hours of test prep.  I called my local school to see if they had any test prep classes and they said, "We tell the students to use Khan Academy."  

Ok, that's fine.  I understand that Khan Academy will look at the students score on the PSAT (which my son took), and will tailor lessons to that student's weakness. 

But does Khan give the little test taking tips like, "Don't spend a lot of time on a test question you know nothing about.  It's ok to skip those and focus on the ones you have a chance for," and things of that nature?  This sort of thing is especially important for a kid who has taken only a handful of standardized tests in his life.  He hasn't had 10 years of practice in eliminating wrong answers from bubble tests.

What I'm asking:

1.  Is Khan academy enough?  Does Khan teach SAT specific test taking tips like what I mentioned above?

2.  If Khan isn't enough, are there test prep classes out there (probably online) that will teach tips as well as whatever other prep they teach?

3.  Out of those test prep classes, are there ones for average to above-average kids, and not high intensity classes geared for kids prepping to get into Yale or MIT?

4.  And uh...what exactly do test prep classes teach?  Do they do a bunch of math problems together...or what?

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

This isn't much help, but I know that Kaplan has a class that does that. I got a link for a free class sometime a while back (like, two years ago), and DD sat through it. I don't know how involved the real thing would be. Maybe go to the websites and see if there are free trials offered?

As for the test-taking strategies, I think that the test-prep books cover that material. Would that work, or do you think he needs the forced practice of a scheduled class?

• Like 1

Garga I read post #1.  I agree with the local school about Khan Academy. My DD will take the SAT later this year. Because there is a direct tie-in between Khan Academy and The College Board, I believe that is the best preparation available for the SAT and that is what I recommended to my DD.  Also, it is Free...

Now, preparation for the Pre ACT or whatever it is called, which I think she will take in April, and then the ACT, I am not sure about the best source for.

I did read, on CollegeBoard.org or somewhere, some hints from students about test taking strategies. I think it had to do with a SAT book I was looking at on Amazon.  This might be especially good for your student. That book has pages with the Printed tests that you can rip out of the book.  Taking a test ONLINE is NOT the same as taking it on PAPER and getting your answers in the proper locations.  In fact, one person suggested buying 2 copies of that book. One to rip those pages out of and one to keep intact. Might be a good idea for you to consider...

• Like 1

We haven't used a test prep class, so I can't speak to that.

DD#1 has used Khan linked from her sophomore PSAT (and now junior PSAT, but she hasn't done any SAT prep since it was linked). Khan doesn't give those little tips. Their focus is to get you to see the same type of questions over & over again and the answers. If you use it like it intends, you understand why the wrong answers are wrong and the right ones are right. I would say that Khan is geared toward getting your kid into the high 600s, not to get them the last elite level.

So, for a kid who will put in the time to do it right, I always suggest starting with Khan. To Lanny's mention of wanting the kids to do the tests by hand vs. on the computer, the free sample tests on Khan can be administered on the computer - or you can print the hard copy and have your kid do them the regular way. Later, they can input them into Khan and get the same targeted feedback that a linked PSAT would give. (My kid actually does better in the printed version than on the computer. YMMV.)

To get higher than the high 600s, there are targeted books on Amazon. I've seen several recommended on here. One that I have bookmarked is PWN the SAT (Math) and Melzer's books for the English side of the test. Here's a thread on one of them.

...you can print the hard copy and have your kid do them the regular way. Later, they can input them into Khan and get the same targeted feedback that a linked PSAT would give. (My kid actually does better in the printed version than on the computer. YMMV.)

To get higher than the high 600s, there are targeted books on Amazon. I've seen several recommended on here. One that I have bookmarked is PWN the SAT (Math) and Melzer's books for the English side of the test. Here's a thread on one of them.

Agreed regarding 'on paper' is better for us, and Meltzers Books...the absolutely best ever.  

Our family has done a variety, from Khan, Memoria Press' Online Test Prep Course, tutors, and, the best: good old-fashioned taking practice tests over and over and over again.  I read this suggestion on this board many times.  Simply studying from the regular test book - simple strategies are often best.

For our youngest, there were too many inconsistencies on practice tests for this to help in math.  So, I hired a tutor on Wyzant.  The tutor simply did what we were already doing, assigning the student a math section prior to each meeting, but with the great benefit of real-live explanation and tutoring of those missed problems.  Great money spent and filled in those holes.

This time of intensive math section study combined with slow and steady Meltzer English section practice resulted in the same SAT score, just flip-flopped...now English was sliding -  SAT total stayed the same.  This inconsistent test scoring was new for us, so I switched from SAT to ACT right before a last attempt (our target for this child was 27, not as good as siblings, but just right for scholarships) thinking that perhaps College Board was still working out kinks in the new test or, perhaps, this student didn't 'love' the SAT the way the rest of our family did.  So, I sold my SAT Meltzer books, replaced with ACT ones, and assigned Super Magnet Man's ACT science youtube lessons -- score improvement of 2 ACT points (equivalents) to a 27.  Since either test was allowable at the schools we were looking at this time, I am glad we decided to try something different.

So, this is the general plan:  

I treat test prep as a subject during all of junior year with a section of test from the Official SAT test prep book taken every single day.  As soon as that section is taken, student goes over and studies answers missed. Concurrently, student studies Meltzer books that I have broken down into small (3-5 page) assignments, making flash cards for tips and tricks as we go...memorizing those was a lifesaver.  We reviewed her flashcards daily.  Meltzer lists rules to memorize in each book.

For tips and tricks, like pacing and strategies, the official book covers them really well, but Meltzer's strategies for the grammar and reading sections just can't be beat.

Khan is using the official book I believe.

ETA, Well, I told you our experience, but didn't actually answer your questions!  I found the Memoria Press class and another SAT tutor we used for an older student a complete disappointment and waste of money.  In our experience, the only tips and tricks given where the ones stated clearly already in the official SAT book and were nothing compared to Metlzer's suggestions.  Also, experience is the best teacher.  Do a lot of practice tests, then read the tips from the prep book again; they will all make more sense when the student has a feel for the test itself.

Also, I expect the class to give personal feedback -- it did not. The only personal feedback we got was from the Wyzant tutor and that was cheaper than a class overall and only targeted what we needed.  But, the class did offer commitment and time set aside.  That was our first child.  I decided, after that, to make test prep a part of our junior's day, so that, then, offered for free the consistency and commitment needed for much success.  Best wishes!

Edited by secretgarden
  • Like 3

• 3 years later...

This is a Zombie thread that got reactivated. To continue on the comment I made in 2018, my DD did well on the SAT and almost all of her preparation was on Khan Academy, which is Free and has the tie-in with SAT.ORG

She had taken the PSAT during October of her Junior year and did well enough to qualify as a National Hispanic Scholar which is an Honor.

She did a little better on the ACT exam and the ACT and SAT exams are very different and one must apply different strategies. For the ACT she had access to an Online course on Kaplan Academy which had a tie-in with ACT.ORG   It was for several months and for $100 USD but the big thing it had was occasional live sessions with a Kaplan Instructor where the students could ask questions. My DD found that very helpful.

From various threads in recent years, if my DD was doing that now, and, if we found a money tree, the PrepScholar company seems to have had the most number of positive reviews/results here on WTM.

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

This is a Zombie thread that got reactivated. To continue on the comment I made in 2018, my DD did well on the SAT and almost all of her preparation was on Khan Academy, which is Free and has the tie-in with SAT.ORG

She had taken the PSAT during October of her Junior year and did well enough to qualify as a National Hispanic Scholar which is an Honor.

She did a little better on the ACT exam and the ACT and SAT exams are very different and one must apply different strategies. For the ACT she had access to an Online course on Kaplan Academy which had a tie-in with ACT.ORG   It was for several months and for $100 USD but the big thing it had was occasional live sessions with a Kaplan Instructor where the students could ask questions. My DD found that very helpful.

From various threads in recent years, if my DD was doing that now, and, if we found a money tree, the PrepScholar company seems to have had the most number of positive reviews/results here on WTM.

Do you know how/if the Khan SAT prep would work if the student did not take the PSAT?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

Do you know how/if the Khan SAT prep would work if the student did not take the PSAT?

I do not believe not having taken the PSAT/NMSQT would be any problem.  The students need 2 online accounts which are linked: The first is on CollegeBoard.org and the other is on KhanAcademy.

My impression (my DD did this several years ago) is that they give feedback and help in weak areas.

My DD used KhanAcademy almost exclusively for her SAT exam.

Also, possibly there is some information on the PrepScholar company web site, available Free, which may be helpful?

OT: As I wrote, for the ACT, my DD had access to a Kaplan Online course (they have or had a tie-in with ACT.ORG) that was mostly online videos she could watch at her convenience if she wanted to. The big "plus" to that was it also had occasional access where the students could participate in a live online session with an Instructor and ask questions. My DD found those live sessions with an Instructor to be very helpful. 

• Like 1