Menu

Deleted

alisoncooks

Ugh.  That sounds so frustrating for your whole family.  Maybe someone here has been through a bone marrow transplant or has assisted a loved one with one & can help by sharing what it's like.  The only thing I know about them is what Robin shared on Good Morning America when she went through it.

• Like 1

Glad that it's something they caught early, but chemo is such a long slog that I really feel for your dh thinking he'd reached the end of the marathon... only to find that he's at the beginning of the next marathon. 

Bone marrow transplants are trying, but I know a man who has had two and has done well afterward. They were lifesaving for him. 

:grouphug:  to your family. 

Update:

So it's not good news...but it could be worse.

Chemo has caused a chromosomal abnormality that WILL cause cancer, if left unchecked. They don't usually find it so early, however DH was already having the biopsy so it's very early. He's going to have to have a bone marrow transplant, probably within the next couple of months, as well as some chemo. They drew blood today to start the process of making sure he's fine for surgery, as well as looking for a match from the donor registry.

Waiting was the worst part. I stress-ate half a can of Pringles before the appointment (then felt like crap). I'm feeling calmer now...though I think DH is in shock. He'd built himself up to being finished, and now it feels like we're starting over again.

Thanks for the well-wishes.

I’m sorry.

I have a friend who is groing thru cancer and she was clear for 1.3 years and it came back/showed up. So she then started all over and set goals towards finishing treatments, surgeries and such. It was such a mental blow and i won’t forget the weariness she’s experienced.

It’s such a tough disease and I’m so sorry.

Praying for strength for you guys as you have to revisit places I’m sure you hope to never see again. It’s a tough journey and I’m sorry your road isn’t smooth.

Bleah. I'm sorry. It IS like starting all over again. My sister is now 6.5 years past her bone marrow transplant after her AML recurred less than a year after her first illness. The good news is that a bone marrow transplant can definitely kick cancer to the curb. But it is a lot to go through. Praying for you guys.

In my sister's case, she was lucky to have 3 siblings to test for a match. Both one brother and I were perfect matches for her. We were both flown to the bay area for more testing to see who would be ideal. My brother won, mostly because my having had children would be worse for my sister. My immune system, having had foreign bodies (aka babies) within me would be more likely to attack her. She still has some graft-vs-host issues anyway, so probably best it wasn't me. She can deal with graft-vs-host; she just feels blessed for every day she's been given.

For people interested in becoming a donor, younger is better (I'm thinking there was an age limit around 48??), not having had babies is better but they'll use you anyway if you're the best match, and more donors of mixed or non-Northern-European lineage are needed. Get your college-aged kids to sign up! The donating process was easy for my brother--it was a stem cell transplant, so just kind of a blood removal process, not the old painful bone marrow removal.

• Like 5

I've walk the journey you and your husband are on with my own dh.     My dh has been in remission 20 years now.  

So prayers and encouragement!!   I had young children when my dh was sick so I know the extra stress and how scared you both are.  I just wanted to give you hope.  We had good weeks and bad.  There were scares and celebrations.  then there was Peace and Healing.  I pray that for your dh and family

• Like 6

So sorry to hear this. My son had AML and then a BMT. It was a long tough journey, but now he is 6 years out and tomorrow is his last visit before he is moved to maintenance clinic. He is doing great, and he even had an hour of basketball and 1.5 hours of soccer practices last night. Please PM me if you ever have any questions or need the ear of someone who has gone through it as a caregiver. God bless you, your husband, and your family.