Menu

s/o casserole recipes?

ktgrok

I’ll list names so you can google recipes that suit you. I just typed up a longer post, but accidentally erased it :-/.

Casseroles I like:

Breakfast (bread, sausage, egg, cheese)

Blueberry croissant

Shepherd’s pie

Pasta/peppers/sausage

Cordon Bleu

Cabbage roll

Potato skin

Chili casserole with cornmeal crust

Creamy chicken and biscuits (serves more than chicken n dumplings)

Broccoli/cheese/chicken/rice

ETA: Casseroles are great because you can make them early and clean up, then dinner just goes in the oven later and you don’t use many dishes.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

Our favorite casserole is our version of a Mexican casserole. Not healthy, but good!

Brown 1 lb ground beef.

Add:

1 small can red enchilada sauce

1 small can diced green chilies

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can Ranch style beans, drained (can use black beans if preferred)

Cumin, garlic salt, chili powder

Warm that together. Then layer:

Corn tortillas

Meat mixture

Shredded cheese

Repeat til pan is full. (9x13)

Bake for about 45 minutes at 375. Tastes best if you let it sit for at least 20 minutes after it cooks.

This is one I really like

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-almondine

We make one similar to this, except I stir in chunks of dried bread (or unseasoned crutons) with the chicken and sauce.  And I usually use a carrot, broccoli, caulifloer blend instead of straight broccoli.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/8854/broccoli-chicken-divan/

My favorite casserole growing up we just called "rice casserole", but Google tells me it's called "stick of butter rice".  1 c. rice, 1 can each of condensed french onion soup and beef consomme/broth, and a stick of butter.  Bake it for an hour.  Regret all the tasty onions and butter later.

My college roommate used to make one with chicken breast, cream of chicken soup, and a dry Stove-Top stuffing mix poured over the top.  That was pretty good, but I was always terrified of not baking the chicken long enough.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember tuna casserole from the 70s?

Tuna

Noodles

Cream of mushroom soup

Then any variety of adding cheese or breadcrumbs on top then baking. Every now and then I think it might be a good idea, but nobody here would eat it with me. I’m afraid it would be like twinkies and just not taste good to me now.

• Like 4

Johnny Menjetti is a favorite at our house.

Brown a pound of ground beef and an onion. (I also add garlic towards the end.) Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes, a can of tomato soup and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Let simmer for 10ish minutes.

Cook a pound of pasta. Drain. Layer 1/3 meat mixture, half of pasta, and cover with slices of american cheese. Repeat layer. Bake at 350 for 30 min.

The original recipe also called for diced green pepper, but our family doesn't like it, so I omit it. It also called for only 1 can of tomatoes and some extra water. In a minor effort to be a bit more healthy in an unhealthy recipe, I added the second can of tomatoes.

My favorite, which I haven’t made in forever is King Ranch Chicken. My husband’s favorite is sour cream and chicken enchiladas. I don’t have recipes handy but I did find King Ranch Chicken recipes online and they actually look better than the version I grew up eating.

Our two most common ones-

Tater Tot Casserole

1 lb browned ground beef

1 bag frozen mixed veggies

1 bag of shredded cheddar

1 big or 2 small cans of tomato sauce

Mix together and put in 9x13, top with tater tots and cook

Beef and Noodle

1 lb ground beef

tomato sauce

Garlic

Egg noodles

Sour cream

Cream cheese

Cottage cheese

These are mixed separately and layered. 2 cups of shredded cheddar on top.

This is often my "take to new moms meal" and it's gotten lots of rave reviews.

Johnny Menjetti is a favorite at our house.

Brown a pound of ground beef and an onion. (I also add garlic towards the end.) Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes, a can of tomato soup and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Let simmer for 10ish minutes.

Cook a pound of pasta. Drain. Layer 1/3 meat mixture, half of pasta, and cover with slices of american cheese. Repeat layer. Bake at 350 for 30 min.

The original recipe also called for diced green pepper, but our family doesn't like it, so I omit it. It also called for only 1 can of tomatoes and some extra water. In a minor effort to be a bit more healthy in an unhealthy recipe, I added the second can of tomatoes.

I haven't ever made that, but my mom used to. We called it Johnny Marzetti.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Marzetti

Hmm. Wonder if my kids would like it. I haven't thought of that meal for years.

Edited by Storygirl

None are healthy, lol. I don’t do these often, but they’re always a welcome meal when I do.

Crescent rolls spread on bottom of pan. Top with crushed tortilla chips or Doritos. Top with browned ground beef with taco seasoning mix. Lots of cheese. Bake and then top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, olives, avocado, sour cream.

BarbecueMom mentioned rice casserole. We call it brown rice casserole and instead of French onion soup, I do two cans consumme mixed with water and more rice. (We love rice). I make this and roast sweet potatoes and sauté thinly sliced smoked sausage and broccoli. A delicious meal!

Cooked rice (I’ll use rice a roni), topped with a mix of sour cream, mayo, and cream of mushroom soup; cooked chicken, sautéed broccoli, cheese, and a breadcrumb topping. Bake till hot.

I make one like this in a pie plate, but I use Fritos. And they go on the top, not the bottom. So it's crescent rolls for the crust, then taco meat, cover with shredded cheese, and then top with crushed Fritos and bake. We call it taco pie.

Everyone loves it. DD12 even made it for a school project (her goal was to make dinner for the family).

My mom used to make one we called hamburger casserole. I think it was browned ground beef mixed with cream of mushroom soup topped with cheddar cheese, crispy chow mein noodles and I think peanuts. Has anyone else ever had such a thing? I've never seen anyone else put peanuts on a casserole.

I would love to have casseroles in rotation but my family just doesn't like that kind of thing. They would rather just have spaghetti or tacos or whatever the non- casserole version would be. I just lovethe comfort food aspect of it - or maybe it is nostalgia for the 70s and 80s because I haven't seen many casseroles since then. Or maybe because I only have one pan to wash at the end.

Our favorite casserole is our version of a Mexican casserole. Not healthy, but good!

Brown 1 lb ground beef.

Add:

1 small can red enchilada sauce

1 small can diced green chilies

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can Ranch style beans, drained (can use black beans if preferred)

Cumin, garlic salt, chili powder

Warm that together. Then layer:

Corn tortillas

Meat mixture

Shredded cheese

Repeat til pan is full. (9x13)

Bake for about 45 minutes at 375. Tastes best if you let it sit for at least 20 minutes after it cooks.

I do something similar, but veganized. (Not even making an attempt to give specific amounts, because I rarely measure.)

Two or three cans of black beans (or home-cooked equivalent), drained and rinsed.

One or two big sweet onions, diced

Small can of tomato paste

A few tablespoons of the medium salsa of your choice

Cooked rice

Frozen corn niblets, defrosted

Bell pepper, diced

Vegan margarine or other oil/fat of your choice

Sometimes I substitute a can of vegan refried beans for some of the black beans.

Saute the onions in the margarine/oil until translucent.

Add the beans and some of the salsa.

Add the diced bell pepper and corn.

Let simmer until the mixture thickens.

Mix the remaining salsa with the tomato paste, and add water to make a sauce.

Starting with corn tortillas in the bottom of the baking pan, layer other ingredients as desired, spooning some of the sauce over each layer of tortillas as you go. Make sure to reserve enough to cover the top.

Bake for 30-45 minutes at 425-ish, until the top looks bubbly.

Let stand for a few minutes before slicing.

For my husband (who is vegetarian but not vegan), I usually toss some grated cheddar on the top before serving.

This is one of his very favorite lunch items, too. I make a pan every two or three weeks, even if we don't end up eating it for dinner, and divide it up between us for taking-to-work lunches.

• Like 1

Tuna

Noodles

Cream of mushroom soup

Then any variety of adding cheese or breadcrumbs on top then baking. Every now and then I think it might be a good idea, but nobody here would eat it with me. I’m afraid it would be like twinkies and just not taste good to me now.

There is a similar one from the I Hate To Cook Book.

2 cans of mac and cheese (really, it came in cans.  I don't know whether it still does)

2 cans of tuna

You alternate these by half cans in a casserole dish.  Then you top with crumbled plain potato chips.  I think maybe you put a thin layer of grated sharp cheddar cheese down after the layers before the chips.  Bake until hot and the cheese melts.

It sound vile but it's actually pretty good, and easy to throw together in a pinch if you can still get those ingredients.  However, I abandoned canned tuna for anything except sandwiches long since, so I have not tried to find this stuff for a while.

My favorite casserole growing up we just called "rice casserole", but Google tells me it's called "stick of butter rice".  1 c. rice, 1 can each of condensed french onion soup and beef consomme/broth, and a stick of butter.  Bake it for an hour.  Regret all the tasty onions and butter later.

My college roommate used to make one with chicken breast, cream of chicken soup, and a dry Stove-Top stuffing mix poured over the top.  That was pretty good, but I was always terrified of not baking the chicken long enough.

This was a standard for a lady at our church covered dish suppers when I was growing up, but she also added a can of sliced mushrooms. I need to make some, but will saute fresh mushrooms instead of the canned.

If I'm making a chicken casserole, I usually use diced cooked chicken. A popular one here is a variation on poppyseed chicken casserole. I usually add diced cooked vegetables (broccoli or frozen peas work well) and sometimes cooked rotini in order to stretch it out for a potluck and make it more of a one pan meal, and I'll leave off the buttered crumbled ritz crackers in favor of just sprinkling the top with poppyseeds by themselves.

My husband makes the traditional green bean casserole every year for his office Thanksgiving potluck and the dish is always emptied.

A casserole is often a catch-all for whatever we have rather to hand than a specific recipe here. Usually a combo of meat (if not doing a vegetarian version), vegetables, cheese in some form (shredded or cream cheese), often cream of ___ soup, and seasonings, sometimes a cooked starch (though I'm trying to cut back on those). 

Mexican-inspired: diced cooked meat (usually chicken or turkey), cooked beans, corn, spinach, diced green chiles, cream cheese, cumin, garlic, enchilada sauce, topped with a layer of shredded cheese. I used to make this as an enchilada-type casserole, but we've been cutting back on starches, so I went from rolling the mixture into individual flour tortillas and pouring the sauce over it, to putting down a little sauce, laying out two tortillas in the bottom, adding the filling, topping with two more tortillas, then sauce and cheese, to leaving out the tortillas altogether.

Thanksgiving-inspired: diced cooked turkey, cream of chicken or mushroom soup, peas or spinach or broccoli, maybe some sour cream, topped with prepared stuffing mix.

Broccoli-rice casserole: cooked broccoli, cooked rice, cream of mushroom soup, maybe some sour cream, topped with shredded cheese. This is also good with cooked chicken or turkey added.

Edited by KarenNC

Family favorite and delicous!

Chicken Swiss Casserole

1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into tender-sized strips

1 package of sliced swiss cheese

2 cans cream of mushroom (or chicken) soup

1/4 - 1/2 c. white wine

1 box Stove Top Stuffing Mix

1/4 c. melted butter

Lay chicken in a single layer in a casserole dish. Top with slices of swiss cheese. Mix soup with wine, pour over chicken. Sprinkle entire contents of Stove Top box (dry mix) over top, and drizzle with melted butter. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Serve with egg noodles or rice.

We like mushrooms, so I slice up a box of fresh mushrooms and add to the soup mixture.

Family favorite and delicous!

Chicken Swiss Casserole

1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into tender-sized strips

1 package of sliced swiss cheese

2 cans cream of mushroom (or chicken) soup

1/4 - 1/2 c. white wine

1 box Stove Top Stuffing Mix

1/4 c. melted butter

Lay chicken in a single layer in a casserole dish. Top with slices of swiss cheese. Mix soup with wine, pour over chicken. Sprinkle entire contents of Stove Top box (dry mix) over top, and drizzle with melted butter. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Serve with egg noodles or rice.

We like mushrooms, so I slice up a box of fresh mushrooms and add to the soup mixture.

We make chicken divan, which is very similar. Layer cooked chicken and broccoli and put swiss cheese over top. Cover with a can or 2 of cream of mushroom soup mixed with a bit of milk and cover with french fried onions. I might have to try it using wine instead of milk. That sounds really good!

• Like 1

I made this last Sunday and it was really good.  I substituted cooked green lentils for half the lamb (because lamb mince can sometimes be a bit overwhelmingly oily) and I used cilantro rather than basil, because I happened to have lots.  Chilli flakes instead of the chilIi he mentioned.  Oh, and cheddar instead of the feta because we were out.  Everyone loved it.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/03/yotam-ottolenghis-recipes-for-using-up-leftover-bread

This one makes a bunch.

6-8 cooked chicken breasts, shredded

3-4 c cooked rice

3 cans cream-of soup (we use chicken with maybe a celery sometimes)

1c sour cream

1c mayo

2-4T lemon juice

combine, put in 1 large or 2 smaller casserole dishes, top with 1 sleeve crushed ritz crackers and pats of butter, bake 350-400 for 45 min - 1 hr

One of my favorites calls for leftover mashed potatoes:

Brown one lb ground beef, then mix in about a 1/2 cup ketchup.

In the casserole dish, mix the ground beef/ketchup with two drained cans of the vegetables of your choice.

Top with about 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes and then 2 cups shredded cheddar.

Cover, cook for 20 minutes at 350, uncover, cook for 20 minutes more.

Here’s my hubby’s favorite HOTDISH 🤣

In a round 2qt or so baking dish:

Ground beef with tacos seasoning - top with crushed nacho cheese doritoes (about 1/2 inch thick. Cover and bake 30 min @ 350.

Take out of oven & immediately top with sour cream, thinly sliced green onion, diced roma tomatoes, shredded lettuce and shredded cheddar. Enjoy!

Lazy Pierogi...can use bacon or finely diced kielbasa. Saute (cook the bacon) 1\2 lb of the meat, then add a diced onion and diced or sliced mushrooms. Add a can of drained, not rinsed, sauerkraut and 1 or 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. Mix in about 4 to 5 cups of cooked pasta (like rotini).

Bake until warmed through. I usually don't even bake...which makes it not a casserole. But since I am the only one who eats it here, oh well!

You can probably find more precise amounts in all recipes or if you want, ask here and I'll look for my recipe.

I make one called Tamale Pie....it is super easy....I don't have the recipe in front of me but basically

Brown and season hamburger meat with chopped onion.  Add a can of ranch beans, and a can of corn. And a can of green chilis.  Mix Jiffy mix with just water in a casserole pan.  spoon the meat mixture on top, leaving some edge of cornmeal mix...cook until brown and then add cheese to the top and melt.

Yummy.

• Like 1

Tuna

Noodles

Cream of mushroom soup

My kids love tuna casserole