Menu

What's with the ads?

PrincessMommy

Exposed to the Flu - anything I can do to mimimize my chances

So we were at my daughter's yesterday for my granddaughter's birthday. Daughter mentioned she had been sick with a cold all week.  She sounded tired and congested but that's it. 

Daughter texted me while I was at church that she felt worse today and went to the doctors and it was confirmed flu (don't know which strain).   She's 6 weeks away from baby #3 and they gave her Tamiflu.  She felt terrible and said she never would have had the party had she suspected flu but her symptoms were more cold-like and it had been almost a week..  Her kids have been sick off and on since Christmas.  I think she just assumed she caught something from them.

But we were all there in her tiny apartment.  I've been extremely busy this whole week and I'm already feeling a bit run-down. 

I have Elderberry/Zinc lozenges.  I have Elderberry Syrup... but is there anything else I can/should be doing??

I have the grandkids tomorrow too.

Help!!!

Vitamin D as well. Lots of sleep. And take the elderberry syrup 4 times a day. Frequency seems to matter more than dose. The lozenges don't have much elderberry in them from what I remember, but they should be fine to take as well. 

• Like 5

Oscillococcinum. And keep up with the elderberry 4x/day if you have it--it's almost impossible to find now :(

Raw garlic-as much as you can handle. I put a bunch in a piece of bread with olive oil. 

• Like 4

Fill a quart jar with water and juice from 1/2 of a lemon. Add 1 tsp powdered ginger, 1/4-1/2 tsp powdered garlic, 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar and stevia or honey to sweeten. Mix well. Drink a jar of this mixture daily. I've prayed you don't come down with the flu.

Oscillium has worked for me in the past. But I agree with others, rest and hydration are the most important. I hope you can stay well.

• Like 1

If you have been exposed, you can also do everything possible to keep from spreading it to others. Wash hands, review all the flu prevention advice, stay home. Those with compromised immune systems will thank you.

• Like 4

Oscillococcinum. And keep up with the elderberry 4x/day if you have it--it's almost impossible to find now :(

Raw garlic-as much as you can handle. I put a bunch in a piece of bread with olive oil. 

Has anyone seen dried elderberries in stock?

Note to self, stock up next year in the fall with a few lbs of it. 

• Like 1

Has anyone seen dried elderberries in stock?

Note to self, stock up next year in the fall with a few lbs of it. 

At the risk of offending those who think it works for them, Oscillococcinum is homeopathic, and absolutely doesn't work - any more than a placebo and three days would help anyone who's ill.  The company who makes it has settled multiple multi-million dollar lawsuits regarding fraud.  I wish it was illegal for reputable pharmacies to sell because it does not work.  Seriously, I beg anyone who thinks it does to research it more.

Elderberry syrup can help, call your doctor and ask them to call in a prescription for Tamiflu (some will, some won't - I wouldn't go into the doctor's office unless you actually come down with it).  Another option is to induce a fever with a hot shower, hot tub, or sauna and then bundle up and go straight to bed for several hours.

Chances are very strong that even if you get it, it won't feel like more than a cold to you either.  There are many flu strains going around, most of which feel like minor colds unless you have an immune system problem.  Out of an abundance of caution, though, I would try and make sure you don't go out and expose anyone else - not everyone has a healthy immune system.

• Like 2

I paid $18 for this last time I bought it. It's doubled in price!

I can't really fault them for making the most when they can.   This kind has bad reviews lately though.  

Mommyoffive   I found elderberries in stock on Jet.com $24/lb. Making a double batch now.

Do you have a link?  I just searched twice and didn't see them. 

I just bought some more elderberries last month at the regular price (around $18/lb).  Now they are selling for $69.00 for two pounds!!!

Go back a month or two and get a flu shot. That's my main defense.

Though...my kids exposed me to a viral something (probably just a cold), and I'll be chugging orange juice today, just to hedge my bets.

• Like 1

Go back a month or two and get a flu shot. That's my main defense.

Though...my kids exposed me to a viral something (probably just a cold), and I'll be chugging orange juice today, just to hedge my bets.

Usually I'd agree but locally the shot isn't offering much protection. My sister and her kids are all sick with flu (one kid has both A and B!) and they all got their shots. A local pediatrician (works at the hospital) said it seems about 10 percent effective in their calculations. 

• Like 3

Princess, I wouldn't wait to order from Amazon though.  Go to your local health food store or Whole Foods.  Natural remedies work best when taken immediately upon symptoms or exposure.  

Usually I'd agree but locally the shot isn't offering much protection. My sister and her kids are all sick with flu (one kid has both A and B!) and they all got their shots. A local pediatrician (works at the hospital) said it seems about 10 percent effective in their calculations. 

That's what I've heard in my area also.

• Like 1

I paid $18 for this last time I bought it. It's doubled in price!

I didn't go back and check, but I remember paying about $20 when I bought it, too. :( Still less than Tamiflu if you don't have insurance, but it's too bad the price has risen.

I need an emoji with his eyes closed and fingers stuck in his ears singing "LA, LA, LA, I can't hear you!"

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I've been taking the syrup and lozenges religiously since yesterday.   I read that incubation is 1-4 days... so far so good.  

I've been treating my 16yr old and my husband did one dose of Syrup and a few of the lozenges. 

Rest is less of an option. I just don't sleep well and I have g-kids today. 

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm a big fan of Nutribiotic's "Defense Plus", as well as their Nasal Spray, since grapefruit seed extract is a good anti-viral.   Hubby and I have been struggling with sinus issues this spring --the dad-gum weather keeps going from highs of 65 to highs of 28 every couple of days as we get cold fronts coming through -- but so far, no flu.  (Knock wood.) 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I've been taking the syrup and lozenges religiously since yesterday.   I read that incubation is 1-4 days... so far so good.  

I've been treating my 16yr old and my husband did one dose of Syrup and a few of the lozenges. 

Rest is less of an option. I just don't sleep well and I have g-kids today. 

Keeping my fingers crossed.

When our family started coming down with the flu, I did Sambucol four times a day right up until I started running a high fever.  Then I stopped because H3N2 is the most prevalent strain in my area.  I ended up with a much more mild case, so hopefully if you get sick at all it won't be a long recovery.  We did all have the flu vaccine.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

They are also saying locally though that those who've had the vax are less likely to develop complications and need hospitalization if they do end up getting it.  We've had the flu at our house several times and I have no problem throwing the kitchen sink at it.

My son had the flu last spring (dxed - influenza A) and I avoided it and fully credit elderberry.  Neither my son or I were vaxed last year.  We usually are but missed a good window for a few reasons last year.  Never again.  He had tamiflu and was still down quite hard for 10 days.  He missed the ACT and had to reschedule. 

• Like 2

They are also saying locally though that those who've had the vax are less likely to develop complications and need hospitalization if they do end up getting it.  We've had the flu at our house several times and I have no problem throwing the kitchen sink at it.

My son had the flu last spring (dxed - influenza A) and I avoided it and fully credit elderberry.  Neither my son or I were vaxed last year.  We usually are but missed a good window for a few reasons last year.  Never again.  He had tamiflu and was still down quite hard for 10 days.  He missed the ACT and had to reschedule. 

Oh yeah, didn't mean that one shouldn't get it, just that I wouldn't count on it keeping you from catching flu. I'm a fan of flu vaccine/elderberry/vitamin D/washing hands/hand sanitizer and basically staying away from people until flu is over. 

We are even waiting to schedule DD's birthday party until after flu season slows down some. 

• Like 2

Just checked. Azure Standard had 1# elderberries for around $19. Only 18 left in stock!

I have never heard of this site.  Has anyone ordered there before? 

Glad for all these suggestions! The flu has my normal hypochondria kicked into high gear. Now a 2nd person at my hubby's work has gone down with it. Looking forward to April when it's mostly over.

• Like 1