Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW6: February Tour along the Roman Road

Robin M

Thanks for the heads up! I was this close to buying the kindle of In Farleigh Field but just couldn't do it. Whew!  

and that's disappointing about the Joan Smith book - I keep hoping something of hers will be as charming as Imprudent Lady. 

Uh-oh. I bought that one (fortunately it was inexpensive) again because I like the series. I had heard she was going to end it after they got married - I think she posted it somewhere. Maybe she should have ended it on a high note.

I hope I'm not scaring anybody off books that they would love. :sad: Keep in mind that I'm an opinionated type gal who generally loves something or detests it so the problem could be me and not the book!

• Like 9

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this but I'm giving a lot of though to abandoning another book. I started Mystery Loves Company by Sheri Cobb-South and I'm not loving it. I'm the opposite of loving it. I'm 150 pages in so I guess I'll finish but then I'm left with the awkward predicament of how to rate it on Goodreads. Maybe I just won't post anything? The author, who is lovely and sweet, sent me an ARC copy over the summer but I didn't read it at the time because it was right after my sister committed suicide and I just couldn't do a murder mystery right then. The book I wanted to read tonight is still stranded behind locked doors at the library so I picked this up because I knew Laura (Mothersweets) was going to read it and it's short enough I could read it on the treadmill in an evening.

Laura - Have you started on it yet?

Sorry for being such a bummer lately. I've got high hopes for my next read.

Here is my review of it https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2276266195 I rated it 2 stars  - I was pretty disappointed. 

• Like 5

You all will be proud of me. James and I went to Barnes and Noble on Super Bowl Sunday. I inadvertently and conveniently left my debit card at home. James got some books and one for John which he had to pay for. I didn’t get anything at all. Gasp! I know. James is a great shopping partner because he is very quick and if I don’t insist on stopping to look at books I’m interested in, he zooms through and is done.

I’m still plugging away with Soldier of the Great War and the soldiers are massing on the border of Austria. Also still reading Wild Sheep chase. Farting cats and Mediocrity. Philosophy and weirdness. 🤓. James and I are reading A Long Walk to Water which is set during the Sudanese civil war.

I wondered how you did on your annual Superbowl trip with James. I chuckled hearing you forgot your card and he had to pay.......my son is always prepared to pay but is really happy when someone else does!

I have finished listening to both The Mysterious Affair at Styles and Whose Body?. I know I have only read each book once but have seen the Christie TV adaption multiple times which probably influenced this result. I found the first book by Sayers to be much better because Poirot took ages to figure things out and I got bored! :lol: I didn't remember all the characters as well in Sayers so it was much more entertaining.

Still quilting. I had a audio book come in that I had reserved called Yesterday by Felicia Yap https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35088466-yesterday. I have no idea why I had this on hold but did listen to an hour of it. It is set in Cambridgeshire in a weird alternative world. Consider it abandoned. The cover was pretty.......

• Like 8

I finished the first volume of Kristen Lavransdatter this week (The Wreath). I know there are a couple of people here also reading it. Cascadia and...maybe Carol?

What are your thoughts? Are you reading the Nunnally translation or the Archer translation? I am reading the Nunnally.

This is a reread for me. I read the trilogy 15 years ago, and have ever since considered it one of my all-time favorite books. I suspected that it might lose some of its shine upon rereading, and indeed that was the case. I still think it is a five-star read, but I'm no longer calling it an all-time favorite. In fact, I decided to delete my Favorites shelf on Goodreads after pondering Kristen Lavransdatter. The hazard of rereading, I suppose :lol: .

I'm also reading Augustown, and liking it so far. I am going to count it toward Jamaica for my around-the-world project.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 8

Mansfield Park is on my list of books to listen to soon. I am now looking forward to it. I love David Tennant.......so just need to find the one he narrates.

Glad you are enjoying The Man in the Queue. It’s on my list for this week/or at least soon also but as a reread. Planning to read the Tey books in order of publication too.

I'll have to look for the Tennant version as well. 

I just finished Eligible which is one of the series of modern remakes of Austen novels. It's based on P&P.

I have several other books going. Most audio books with the kids because we drive a lot. Plus, I just came to the realization that I can listen to an audiobook while walking around campus instead of reading a book in a chair. Win win! I wait for my ds while he takes 2 classes on Wednesdays. Although next week I plan on taking my younger two along and bike riding in the park that is close by. 

• Like 6

I hope I'm not scaring anybody off books that they would love. :sad: Keep in mind that I'm an opinionated type gal who generally loves something or detests it so the problem could be me and not the book!

Considering you are a Wodehouse fan, I completely trust your opinion.  :D

• Like 4

I finished The Secret Keeper  audio book earlier today. and gave it 4 stars, though it's probably more like 3-1/2. This is the second Kate Morton book I listened to and liked both (the other being The Lake House).

I'm having minor surgery on Friday so I plan to read ahead in Henry VI Part 3 because I don't want to end up behind schedule. I did that once with this Shakespeare challenge and it wasn't easy to catch up.

I haven't started anything new but am considering choosing one of the mysteries I have waiting on my Kindle, so I'll have an easy read over the weekend. There won't be much recovery time but I probably won't feel up to doing much for a few days. 

The boards are acting strange for me. I can't seem to follow this thread. When I click on follow nothing happens. I'm following a few other topics so it's not board wide. This has happened before and eventually fixed itself so I hope by next week's thread it will have done just that.

• Like 6

I just finished book 8 for the year:

The Five People You Meet in Heaven https://www.amazon.com/Five-People-You-Meet-Heaven/dp/1401308589/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518056298&sr=8-1&keywords=the+five+people+you+meet+in+heaven+book

I would give it a very solid 4 stars.  It takes quite a bit for me to give a book 5 stars.  I found it very thought provoking but yet an easy listen as it made an excellent audio book.  I would not base my theology off this book but then again it wasn't designed to be a theology book.

• Like 6

I'll have to look for the Tennant version as well. 

I just finished Eligible which is one of the series of modern remakes of Austen novels. It's based on P&P.

I have several other books going. Most audio books with the kids because we drive a lot. Plus, I just came to the realization that I can listen to an audiobook while walking around campus instead of reading a book in a chair. Win win! I wait for my ds while he takes 2 classes on Wednesdays. Although next week I plan on taking my younger two along and bike riding in the park that is close by.

Well, I would love listening to David Tennant but I don't know that I'd enjoy the story!!

I just finished my search for the David Tennant Mansfield Park and no luck.

It was listed as a not owned version on the bottom of the overdrive page so I recommended it! Who knows?

• Like 3

I haven't been on the board in weeks but I'll try to catch up on several Book a Week threads in the near future.  I hope this finds you all well.

I left home on the 5th of January and had intended to return on the 16th; however, I ended up sitting vigil through my mother's last days. I did have the good fortune to spend a few days with her while she recognized me and was mentally present. After injuring herself in a fall, she was on pain medication and slept. After more than a week without food or water, her hospice nurse stopped making any predictions. I was holding her hand when she died after more than twelve days without any sustenance. It was a peaceful death.

During those twelve days – I read aloud Don Camillo stories; my sister and I reminisced; we laughed; we played many rounds of Quiddler; we had a number of heartfelt talks with the social worker, nurse and aide from Hospice; we ate too many Oreos; the grandchildren (save my daughter) visited, even the great grand-dog visited. The long vigil gave us time to become accustomed to the realization that our mother was dying.  We are grieving, but we had already grieved over the past few years as my mother was much changed due to dementia.  

My mother had a life that was rich in experiences – some negative, some positive.  She was born in the thirties in the Netherlands to Hungarian parents, so the languages I heard her speak were her second (Dutch) and third (English).  Her mother was a seamstress who supported the family when my grandfather was placed in a prison camp.  My grandfather, a gifted linguist who spoke thirteen languages and later became a professor at the Sorbonne, dabbled in astrology; he was jailed for predicting Hitler’s downfall. Life was hard and food so scarce that they ate tulip bulbs; my mother said she never ate anything else so bitter.

Life in a small town in the Netherlands in the fifties was provincial, and my mother craved adventure. She emigrated to New Zealand which at that time was paying young people to come out and settle.  She married my father who was also from the Netherlands.  They lived in Australia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Trinidad, Taiwan, Russia, the Netherlands, and the US plus a few other places I'm doubtless forgetting. My mother got the adventure she asked for but said she should also have wished for money as they often lived paycheck to paycheck. My mother worked in a stationer’s shop, hotels, a jewelry shop, and as a real estate agent before becoming a practitioner of alternative healing.

My mother was generous and had a warm personality. She often called others Darling; I’d sound affected were I to do that, but it suited her.  From her mid-fifties on, my mother became quite interested in alternative modes of healing and a variety of new age beliefs.  If you’d been seated next to her at a dinner party, you might have a fascinating discussion about past life regression and reflexology or you might be concerned (as were we) at her certainty that aliens would be arriving soon to collect her and her fellow lightworkers and that all credit card debt would soon be erased. I never doubted her love.  I hope that she’s enjoying the afterlife with her angels and aliens.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 15

Kareni -

You have certainly been missed around here. We're glad you're back but so sorry for your loss. 

I would also like to say that if any of my children were able to write a tribute like that to me after I am dead I would be quite proud of the life I led. You mother was certainly a brave and adventurous woman. I wish I had gotten a chance to sit next to her at a dinner party because I'm sure it would have been a splendidly fun evening with her to chat to. I'm glad you were able to spend her last days with her and that she was surrounded by people who loved her so dearly.

((HUGS))

Amy

• Like 12

Kareni,

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. She sounds like a wonderful woman and I’m glad you were able to be with her in her final days. I’m sending you many hugs and much sympathy. Losing a parent is difficult beyond words.

• Like 10

Karen, I am so sorry for your loss and lots of hugs are winging your way.  Thank you for sharing your wonderful tribute to your mom. She sounds like a wonderful woman and like Amy, I would have been delighted to sit next to her at dinner and talk about aliens as well as past lives.  You have certainly been missed. I was just thinking about you yesterday.  :grouphug:   

• Like 8

I finished The Secret Keeper  audio book earlier today. and gave it 4 stars, though it's probably more like 3-1/2. This is the second Kate Morton book I listened to and liked both (the other being The Lake House).

I'm having minor surgery on Friday so I plan to read ahead in Henry VI Part 3 because I don't want to end up behind schedule. I did that once with this Shakespeare challenge and it wasn't easy to catch up.

I haven't started anything new but am considering choosing one of the mysteries I have waiting on my Kindle, so I'll have an easy read over the weekend. There won't be much recovery time but I probably won't feel up to doing much for a few days. 

The boards are acting strange for me. I can't seem to follow this thread. When I click on follow nothing happens. I'm following a few other topics so it's not board wide. This has happened before and eventually fixed itself so I hope by next week's thread it will have done just that.

Sending good thoughts for Friday.   I don't know what's going on with the boards. They've been acting wonky for a while. 

• Like 5

Book # 9 for the year.

Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-Hop Culture by Thomas Chatterton Williams   https://www.amazon.com/Losing-My-Cool-Literature-Escape/dp/0143119621/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518141687&sr=8-1&keywords=losing+my+cool+by+thomas+chatterton+williams

I think I would give this a 5 star rating (or at least 4.5) as it is a very thought provoking book.  It also fits with my goal of reading more books by people of color this year.  The book discusses a young black man's struggles between the academic world his father wants for him, and the hip-hop culture all around him.

• Like 7

I'll get my post up first and then hopefully have time another day to come back and read the rest of the posts..... I got as far as the lost book found in the laundry basket.

Audiobook is the way I'm 'reading' mostly at the moment,  which means I can have very busy hands and my ears free to be read to. Lovely.

My main goal this year is 52 books, and then if I happen to coincide with the rebel bus that's a reading bonus.

The books I’ve managed to complete this week include two titles started in previous weeks.  A few of these books are ones I’m re-listening to, to see if I should hand them to Dd this year.  Books that worked for one child just don't seem to with the next one:

·        Death in A White Tie ~ Ngaio March  Abridged audio (3)  

Golden Era Mystery. Relisten. London, England. Not for Dd.

·        A Duty to the Dead: Bess Crawford Bk1 ~ Charles Todd  Audio (4)

Kent, England. Not for Dd.

·        Overture to Death ~ Ngaio Marsh  Abridged Audiobook (3)

(relisten) not for Dd.

·        Damsel in Distress: Daisy Dalrymple Bk 5 ~ Carola Dunn  Audio (3)

1923, post WWI. Countryside near Malvern, England. Okay for Dd

·        An Impartial Witness:  Bess Crawford Bk2 ~ Charles Todd (3)

Hampshire, England.  Not for Dd.

·        Rethinking School ~ Susan Bauer  Audio  (3)

N/F.  Education. Chapter 21 was of the most interest to me, especially since Ds is on a road less travelled after highschool one which does not include University.

·        Bitter Truth:  Bess Crawford Bk3 ~ Charles Todd  (2

Sussex. Storyline not worth using with Dd.

·        An Unmarked Grave: Bess Crawford #4 ~ Charles Todd  (3)

Eastbourne, Sussex, England.  Okay for Dd.

Currently listening to:

·        Anna, Where are You? (Miss Silver, Bk: 20) ~ Patricia Wentworth    Cosy mystery.  Hammersmith, London, England

·        In Sheep’s Clothing : Understanding & Dealing with Manipulators ~ George K. Simon  N/F

·        The Artist's Way ~ Julia Cameron    Library book  (Thank you for the recommendations, I think I’ll need to purchase this one. It’s a pause n ponder read - very good.)

ETA:  Added the last title; and, fixed the worst of the typos .

Edited by Tuesdays Child
  • Like 8

Regarding the boards....my likes aren't showing. Consider all posts as liked and read.

Kathy, I am sending healing thoughts and hope on have a peaceful weekend with your feet up reading a good mystery!

I finished Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3902077-among-the-mad. Definitely not my favorite Maisie Dobbs but I have finally finished it after checking it out on Overdrive several times. Looking forward to continuing the series after a bit of a break. This book was sad and highlights the poor care given to the WWI veterans in the years following the war. The setting was primarily London and Kent but she does travel to a mental hospital in Buckinghamshire I believe. Forgot to write it down and the book is gone!

I am back on my Charles Finch audio book marathon. Twenty minutes left in An Old Betrayal https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17286755-an-old-betrayal and I have the next one ready to go.

• Like 8

Kareni -  :grouphug:  - it was lovely to read about your mother's life and hear such genuine admiration and love come through.  

Lady Florida - good luck today.  Thinking of you.

Book # 9 for the year.

Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-Hop Culture by Thomas Chatterton Williams   https://www.amazon.com/Losing-My-Cool-Literature-Escape/dp/0143119621/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518141687&sr=8-1&keywords=losing+my+cool+by+thomas+chatterton+williams

I think I would give this a 5 star rating (or at least 4.5) as it is a very thought provoking book.  It also fits with my goal of reading more books by people of color this year.  The book discusses a young black man's struggles between the academic world his father wants for him, and the hip-hop culture all around him.

This sounds intriguing.  Adding it to my TBR pile!

I am slogging through Prisoners of Geography.  So far I am underwhelmed.  Much of it seems like things that I already know or that are common sense based on a quick examination of history/geography, both of which I've covered in a fair amount of depth across my life.  Maybe for someone who doesn't know much about geography or hasn't paid much attention to history, this book might be more attention-grabbing.

Also continuing with the book on New York's World Fair in 1939.  Can't even remember the title.  The most amusing thing so far is the pamphlet I found in it that must be a good 15-20 years old that is a glossy trifold advertising amazon.com when it was new and shiny and only sold books and wow, wasn't that a cool idea, that you could buy books on the internet!  DH actually took it to work to add to his museum of computer/internet related items.

Finished The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman and thoroughly enjoyed it despite it being the second book in a series (my track record with series is that each subsequent book after the first is almost always more disappointing than the previous one).  Using that for my Fantasy Bingo square since the back of the book had a helpful 'Fantasy' label on it.

I'm reading two rather boring and dry non-fiction books and desperately need to add something lighter and fictiony so hopefully this weekend I can pick up something else.

• Like 9

May all go well with your surgery, and your recovery!

• Like 7

I haven't been on the board in weeks but I'll try to catch up on several Book a Week threads in the near future.  I hope this finds you all well.

I left home on the 5th of January and had intended to return on the 16th; however, I ended up sitting vigil through my mother's last days. I did have the good fortune to spend a few days with her while she recognized me and was mentally present. After injuring herself in a fall, she was on pain medication and slept. After more than a week without food or water, her hospice nurse stopped making any predictions. I was holding her hand when she died after more than twelve days without any sustenance. It was a peaceful death.

During those twelve days – I read aloud Don Camillo stories; my sister and I reminisced; we laughed; we played many rounds of Quiddler; we had a number of heartfelt talks with the social worker, nurse and aide from Hospice; we ate too many Oreos; the grandchildren (save my daughter) visited, even the great grand-dog visited. The long vigil gave us time to become accustomed to the realization that our mother was dying.  We are grieving, but we had already grieved over the past few years as my mother was much changed due to dementia.  

My mother had a life that was rich in experiences – some negative, some positive.  She was born in the thirties in the Netherlands to Hungarian parents, so the languages I heard her speak were her second (Dutch) and third (English).  Her mother was a seamstress who supported the family when my grandfather was placed in a prison camp.  My grandfather, a gifted linguist who spoke thirteen languages and later became a professor at the Sorbonne, dabbled in astrology; he was jailed for predicting Hitler’s downfall. Life was hard and food so scarce that they ate tulip bulbs; my mother said she never ate anything else so bitter.

Life in a small town in the Netherlands in the fifties was provincial, and my mother craved adventure. She emigrated to New Zealand which at that time was paying young people to come out and settle.  She married my father who was also from the Netherlands.  They lived in Australia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Trinidad, Taiwan, Russia, the Netherlands, and the US plus a few other places I'm doubtless forgetting. My mother got the adventure she asked for but said she should also have wished for money as they often lived paycheck to paycheck. My mother worked in a stationer’s shop, hotels, a jewelry shop, and as a real estate agent before becoming a practitioner of alternative healing.

My mother was generous and had a warm personality. She often called others Darling; I’d sound affected were I to do that, but it suited her.  From her mid-fifties on, my mother became quite interested in alternative modes of healing and a variety of new age beliefs.  If you’d been seated next to her at a dinner party, you might have a fascinating discussion about past life regression and reflexology or you might be concerned (as were we) at her certainty that aliens would be arriving soon to collect her and her fellow lightworkers and that all credit card debt would soon be erased. I never doubted her love.  I hope that she’s enjoying the afterlife with her angels and aliens.

Regards,

Kareni

Your tribute to your mother made me tear up.

Hope the loving memories of her bring comfort to you in the days ahead. (hug)

• Like 7

Snow day here, and spent the morning finishing Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger.  A beautiful written mystery/coming of age story narrated by a 13 year old boy, with flawed but lovely characters.  I usually pick my books based on recommendations here or off the "book discussion group" shelf in the library, but I don't remember which this one was. So if you haven't already all read it, I'd recommend it. 4.5/5 stars.

• Like 9

Thanks everyone. Just a quick update. I'm tired and have been watching mindless tv with dh. Will probably just go to bed soon.

My arrival time was 12:15 and I was told not to eat or drink after midnight last night. They didn't take me back to surgery until around 4. I was hungry! Dh finally got to take me home around 7. It was a longer day than I was led to believe it would be but at least I've been fed now. :) If it wasn't so late when we left I'd have had coffee too. I think I'll have an extra cup or two tomorrow just because. 

Thank you all for the well wishes. I did get a lot of reading done during my wait time. Will update on that front tomorrow.

• Like 9

I started a memoir called "After the Eclipse" by Sarah Perry.  Her mother was brutally killed in their home while the author, a fairly young child, hid in her bedroom there.  Years later, by a fluke, the killer was uncovered and prosecuted.

The first chapter of the book was so horrifyingly well written that I couldn't stand to read the whole book, but I found that I also couldn't stand not to know how it ended up, so I started reading at the trial of the murderer, very late in the volume, and then spot read parts of the middle.  This probably shouldn't count as a book I read, but I can't seem to ignore it either as it made a big impression on me.

I don't have the tolerance I once did for this kind of stuff.  That is the summary.

Aside from that, I am still slogging joyfully through Kristen Lavensdatter.  

• Like 6

This one is short and therefore cheap....

In a serie there is normally one volume a lot cheaper at bol.com so I pick that one for trips like these...

They also do that with the first in a series. It was only $1.99. I see the rest are higher priced so maybe my library will have them. If not, I'll probably skip it. I would pay that much for literary fiction or a good non-fiction but not my fluffy detective stories. :)

• Like 4

I spent part of the night being very quiet reading and browsing on my fire while hubby was sleeping beside me. Can't remember what led me to this list of the best Murakami books https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/63604-the-10-best-haruki-murakami-books.html but was very surprised to discover that thanks to this years marathon reading of the Rat trilogy I only have one more to go and I will have read all of his "bests."

Next January will probably find me reading Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10374.Hard_Boiled_Wonderland_and_the_End_of_the_World?ac=1&from_search=true. I have to admit it wasn't my planned choice before finding this list but a sci fi detective story by Murakami probably is good. :)

I finished my London based Carola Dunn. It was rather blah. Set in the natural history museum which thanks to a dinosaur obsession that the dc's had I know pretty well. ;) I had expected to love this one so ended up disappointed. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/610775.Rattle_His_Bones

• Like 3