Menu

What's with the ads?

Chris in VA

Wanna doctor my chili from afar?

And that's not a euphemism. 

Going to a chili cook off in about 40 mins. I made turkey chili and it is rather bland. I've added all the regular spices (and it has lots of smokey paprika), a shot of vinegar, salt, etc. 

Anything else I can try to punch up the tastiness? It's very mildly hot, but is hot, so I don't think it's the heat that's off. 

A recipe I use says:

Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more chili powder or cumin for smokiness, salt for saltiness, or a little coconut sugar (or maple syrup) to balance the heat and draw out the other flavors.

• Like 1

A recipe I use says:

Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more chili powder or cumin for smokiness, salt for saltiness, or a little coconut sugar (or maple syrup) to balance the heat and draw out the other flavors.

And can you sautee the spices a little bit before you add them?  I find that helps the taste to blend in better. 

• Like 1

For beef chilli, we add cocoa powder for a deeper flavour, but I’m having problems imagining that with turkey. I would probably add some tomato paste, more chilli powder, cumin, maybe some liquid smoke?

• Like 1

Too late, I'm sure, but when I use turkey for chili I always add a hefty spoon of better-than-bouillon. Turkey or beef flavor. Makes it taste richer.