Menu

Stepping out of my comfort zone again

Night Elf

I actually really enjoy road trips, and I have driven my kids aaaaallllllllllll over the country just myself.

Good driving shoes are ones that are a little loose, cushy/comfy, stay ON, and no worries about rubbing on the heel.

For example, I do not like to wear dressy shoes to drive. They are stiff, and I worry about getting unsightly "rubbed" spots on the back of the heel, especially on the right shoe.

I also do not like driving in my Haflinger clogs, even though those are my most comfortable day-to-day wear shoes. The reason is that the open back  for Haflingers or flip-flops or Birkenstocks means the shoe will not stay on easily in the driving posture (leg extended forward, resting on heel and toes pointed up). On a long trip, this is a big deal. (It's also true of dentist visits, LOL. Don't wear clogs because they scoot up off your foot when you are lying in the chair.)

Most often I drive in sneakers or athletic shoes with the laces tied very loosely. Keeps the shoe on but does not constrict.

The other cool driving gear you need for long trips is a good pair of sunglasses. :coolgleamA:

A leather jacket never goes amiss, too. :lol:

I got them all! I'm ready! 

Shoes: I have two styles I wear, Vans sneakers that lace up, and Toms that are classic slip-ons. Yes, I've rubbed a hole in the right heel of my Toms from driving but I just replace them.

Sunglasses: I love my Ray Bans!

Leather jacket: It's actually been cold enough for me to wear it a few times this year. I've had this jacket since before dd19 was born and it's still in excellent condition.

Now all I need is the confidence. That's where I lack!

• Like 1

Your vans will be awesome!  Love the leather jacket & Ray Bans - wind a colorful scarf around your neck, too!

Take a gander at this - I'm so glad I don't have to dress up in a taffeta hat to go driving around! 

http://ultimatehistoryproject.com/early-20th-century-motoring-clothes.html

"Although the all-encompassing driving coat made the most dramatic statement, fashionable drivers and passengers also wore specially designed hats and caps. In 1912, women were able to wear hats that were both fashionable and serviceable, as hats made of waterproof taffeta were widely marketed. Women’s hats were also sold with “dust shields†that directly protected the face from the detritus thrown up by a car. For those less inclined to adopt a hat with a ready-made dust shield, a chiffon scarf was frequently recommended."

• Like 1