Menu

Stepping out of my comfort zone again

Night Elf

We're going to my mom's house today. It's a 75 minute drive and DH always drives. So today, I'm driving and I'm going to use my cell phone to navigate to see if I can do it on my own. At least he'll be there in case I freak out. Even knowing he's going to be in the car with me, I still feel incredibly nervous. 

• Like 18

You can do it! They key is a "if I mess up it's fine" attitude. If you make a wrong turn, no big deal, you can fix it. If you miss your exit, whatever, you just take the next one. Worst is you get there a bit later. That's it. It's fine. 

(I make wrong turns and miss exits a lot. A LOT. Nothing bad ever happened because of it. Not worth being frustrated by. Just accept and change course. No big deal.)

• Like 7

You can do it! They key is a "if I mess up it's fine" attitude. If you make a wrong turn, no big deal, you can fix it. If you miss your exit, whatever, you just take the next one. Worst is you get there a bit later. That's it. It's fine.

(I make wrong turns and miss exits a lot. A LOT. Nothing bad ever happened because of it. Not worth being frustrated by. Just accept and change course. No big deal.)

Oh yes, I've done wrong turns multiple times just in the past week. Usually while driving somewhere I have been a gazillion times before.

The worst is when I take a wrong turn two blocks from my own house. The corner where I turn to get to my house has an old brick house with lots of trees. The trouble is that the corner right before it has a similar old brick house (well, apparently similar to my brain; one is red brick and the other yellow brick but my brain refuses to take note of such nuances.)

I turn at the wrong corner several times a year. It is so weird.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

I hate driving too, and make my husband drive. He has been gone for a month, and I have been walking to the grocery store to avoid a hairy left turn. I totally understand, and I think you're so brave to tackle this!

I fear getting lost, getting a flat tire or other car trouble, getting into an accident, or getting a ticket for breaking a rule. The whole thing is stressful to me. Having a "co-pilot" is the best way for me to get over my worries. When I do have to drive any big distance alone, I go mid-day so there is the least amount of traffic.

You are brave for doing all these new things!  

I agree with the others: If you need to make a wrong turn, then make the wrong turn.  Don't get panicky if you realize you're not in the right lane or something to get where you need to go.  It'll be ok if you have to detour.  Just say bye-bye to the turn you meant to take and then let the GPS tell you how to get back on track.  

I don't know if you are a fast driver or a slow one, but if you can be slow today try being slow.  Not slower than the speed limit, but you also don't have to speed.  Since you haven't done this drive before, give yourself time to react by driving as slowly as is legal.  Don't try to keep up with people doing 80 who are familiar with the drive.  If you drive on the slow side, it'll give you more time to react if you need to change lanes or something.

• Like 4

I made it! Despite the fact that my DH was actually arguing with the GPS. HAHA! It did take us a weird way and he told me to do something different and the GPS picked up on it and took me from there. When I go by myself next week, yes, next week! Yikes!, anyway when I go I know the turn to ignore and to just go straight. It also took me home a weird way and that totally befuddled DH. I know where I plan to turn going home though and will let it recalculate from that point. So I did remember a lot of how I used to drive there, but I was really glad DH was with me.

Thanks for all the support! I got home, put dinner into the oven and will eat and then have coffee and watch a game show to unwind. Yay me!

Y'all are awesome! Thank you!

• Like 43

Awesome and yay for the success!

If you do it a few times and get comfortable, try following the gps and see what happens. Could be fun, or could be something you’ll never do again! Lol. Then of course do it without gps. Write out the directions, but keep it a little more simple than gps would.

I got attached to my gps just before moving to PA 7 YEARS ago, and am still having a hard time navigating the area 30-45 minutes of me where everything is. I keep saying I need to grab a map, but never remember to do so.

You encourage me! I have to drive about 7 hours on Friday to Appalachian St for my daughter's audition. I'm really scared. I drove her to WVU a couple weeks ago and said Never Again, but I do know part of the way this time (I've gone south before but hadn't gone to West VA before). I don't drive at night at all bc I can't see well. But because YOU did well, there's hope for me! 

I am glad you can relate. Sometimes I feel I'm the only one scared of driving. I know it isn't true, but it can feel...well, like I'm less than adult. 

• Like 1

I don't drive at night at all bc I can't see well. 

Do you wear glasses or contacts? I wear my contacts most of the time, but I switch to my glasses for night time driving. It's a big help, partially because I have the anti-glare lens, and partially because glasses can correct your sight to a more exact degree than contacts. It was definitely worth paying for the lens upgrade with anti-glare. 

I'm impressed! I can't wait to hear about your upcoming solo trip! Just remember, if you unintentionally miss a turn or something, the GPS will correct and you can just keep following it! It's so much easier to get places now than it used to be, thanks to GPS. Make sure to charge your phone before you head out or charge it in the car, if you have that option. You'll be all set! I can't wait for your next trunk club box  - the one where you request driving shoes and comfy clothes to drive it! Keep us updated on your adventures. 

• Like 2

I'm impressed! I can't wait to hear about your upcoming solo trip! Just remember, if you unintentionally miss a turn or something, the GPS will correct and you can just keep following it! It's so much easier to get places now than it used to be, thanks to GPS. Make sure to charge your phone before you head out or charge it in the car, if you have that option. You'll be all set! I can't wait for your next trunk club box  - the one where you request driving shoes and comfy clothes to drive it! Keep us updated on your adventures. 

:lol: I can see me telling Emma now to please pack my trunk with cool driving clothes. What kind of shoes make good driving shoes? I sent back those combat boots. Maybe I should request them again?

:lol: I can see me telling Emma now to please pack my trunk with cool driving clothes. What kind of shoes make good driving shoes? I sent back those combat boots. Maybe I should request them again?

I actually really enjoy road trips, and I have driven my kids aaaaallllllllllll over the country just myself.

Good driving shoes are ones that are a little loose, cushy/comfy, stay ON, and no worries about rubbing on the heel.

For example, I do not like to wear dressy shoes to drive. They are stiff, and I worry about getting unsightly "rubbed" spots on the back of the heel, especially on the right shoe.

I also do not like driving in my Haflinger clogs, even though those are my most comfortable day-to-day wear shoes. The reason is that the open back  for Haflingers or flip-flops or Birkenstocks means the shoe will not stay on easily in the driving posture (leg extended forward, resting on heel and toes pointed up). On a long trip, this is a big deal. (It's also true of dentist visits, LOL. Don't wear clogs because they scoot up off your foot when you are lying in the chair.)

Most often I drive in sneakers or athletic shoes with the laces tied very loosely. Keeps the shoe on but does not constrict.

The other cool driving gear you need for long trips is a good pair of sunglasses. :coolgleamA:

A leather jacket never goes amiss, too. :lol: