Menu

What's with the ads?

bttrflyvld

Who has used CLE math for several years?

We have been using saxon from k though the middle of 54. I think we've got a road block. All of this year has been a struggle.

My daughter loves the constant review she gets fromm saxon, but something is not clicking.

I think what it's holding her back is:

The length of the lessons.

The rewriting of problems onto paper.

And i think the lessons are too wordy.

I hear CLE is similar to saxon and the examples of CLE look really good. The lessons look cleaner and clearer. The review look great. I love that you write in the book. (I think most of the problem my daughter is having is just transcribing the problems wrong. Writing isn't her sttength).

For those of you who have used it and kept with it, what can you tell me about the pros and cons for you?

Also included what grades you've used. Thank you so much!

The length of the lessons.

The rewriting of problems onto paper.

And i think the lessons are too wordy.

This isn't answering your question, but you can tweak Saxon to make it work better.

You can present the lesson yourself.  You can copy the problems (this takes less than 5 minutes per lesson).  And you can have your daughter do as much as possible orally.

Just doing these things would probably cut the lesson time in half.

• Like 1

This isn't answering your question, but you can tweak Saxon to make it work better.

You can present the lesson yourself. You can copy the problems (this takes less than 5 minutes per lesson). And you can have your daughter do as much as possible orally.

Just doing these things would probably cut the lesson time in half.

That's a good suggestion. Thanks! I actually did write out her problems for her for a couple of months. It'd be nice to have a workbook so i didn't have to spent so much prep time rewriting out her lessons though.

3rd-7th, but 3rd-5th was done fast so we could catch up to grade level. We switched from another program that wasn’t working at all. In order to catch up, we skipped quizzes and tests (40 lessons per school year), we did math during the summers, and we skipped some of the practice problems.

Once we caught up, we started doing the quizzes and tests (because those end up being easy days with less work than a regular lesson), and we do all of the practice problems. By the time he gets to a quiz or test, he knows the material cold and always does well.

I don’t know anything about Saxon, but the CLE lessons are short. Very, very short. They are not wordy. I set aside 1 hour and 10 minutes per day for math. My son could go faster, but he doesn’t. He works best if I’m next to him and check his work every few problems. If I don’t check little by little, then at the end of the lesson if I happen to find a bunch of problems that were wrong, he feels overwhelmed and shuts down for the day. But if we catch them little by little, he doesn’t feel overwhelmed.

There are 10 workbooks per grade level, but the first workbook is review of the previous year. When we were accelerating through the material we skipped that book. When we slowed down, I got the review book after summer break and we only reviewed what my son felt shaky on, which was very little.

As I said, the lessons are short. There are a few practice problems of the new material and then the review begins. There is usually about 3 pages of review problems to work through per lesson. At the very end of the lesson there will be a few (4 or so) problems about the new material again.

Since it’s spiral, there is a constant flow of newish and old review every single day. There is never a lesson with a long string of similar problems, like there are never 20 division problems in a row. Every 3-5 problems are on completely different topics. There’s not much chance of forgetting something because it constantly comes back around. Some families like to skip some of the practice problems, but I don’t want to do that. We had such a rocky beginning with math that I don’t want to skip anything and end up giving him a shaky foundation without meaning to. So...we do all the problems.

Like you said, you work in the workbook. Sometimes my son gets scrap paper to work through some problems because there might not be enough space in the book for him to do a bunch of calculations (but he also likes writing big.).

I’ve only used two math programs for him. The first was mastery based (MUS) and he was struggling a lot. I worried there were learning issues it was so bad. But once we switched to CLE, math began to click. He doesn’t have any troubles now. CLE has been wonderful for us, but the caveat always is that while it works for me, I can’t guarantee it’ll work for others.

Except for word problems. The only con for CLE is word problems. I’ve recently been hearing people say that CLE doesn’t have enough word problems and I have to agree with them. My son struggles a lot with word problems. As much as he’ll hate it, I’m going to research over the summer some word problem supplements. He needs to have those click. They’re not just clicking yet.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

3rd-7th, but 3rd-5th was done fast so we could catch up to grade level. We switched from another program that wasn’t working at all. In order to catch up, we skipped quizzes and tests (40 lessons per school year), we did math during the summers, and we skipped some of the practice problems.

Once we caught up, we started doing the quizzes and tests (because those end up being easy days with less work than a regular lesson), and we do all of the practice problems. By the time he gets to a quiz or test, he knows the material cold and always does well.

I don’t know anything about Saxon, but the CLE lessons are short. Very, very short. They are not wordy. I set aside 1 hour and 10 minutes per day for math. My son could go faster, but he doesn’t. He works best if I’m next to him and check his work every few problems. If I don’t check little by little, then at the end of the lesson if I happen to find a bunch of problems that were wrong, he feels overwhelmed and shuts down for the day. But if we catch them little by little, he doesn’t feel overwhelmed.

There are 10 workbooks per grade level, but the first workbook is review of the previous year. When we were accelerating through the material we skipped that book. When we slowed down, I got the review book after summer break and we only reviewed what my son felt shaky on, which was very little.

As I said, the lessons are short. There are a few practice problems of the new material and then the review begins. There is usually about 3 pages of review problems to work through per lesson. At the very end of the lesson there will be a few (4 or so) problems about the new material again.

Since it’s spiral, there is a constant flow of newish and old review every single day. There is never a lesson with a long string of similar problems, like there are never 20 division problems in a row. Every 3-5 problems are on completely different topics. There’s not much chance of forgetting something because it constantly comes back around. Some families like to skip some of the practice problems, but I don’t want to do that. We had such a rocky beginning with math that I don’t want to skip anything and end up giving him a shaky foundation without meaning to. So...we do all the problems.

Like you said, you work in the workbook. Sometimes my son gets scrap paper to work through some problems because there might not be enough space in the book for him to do a bunch of calculations (but he also likes writing big.).

I’ve only used two math programs for him. The first was mastery based (MUS) and he was struggling a lot. I worried there were learning issues it was so bad. But once we switched to CLE, math began to click. He doesn’t have any troubles now. CLE has been wonderful for us, but the caveat always is that while it works for me, I can’t guarantee it’ll work for others.

Except for word problems. The only con for CLE is word problems. I’ve recently been hearing people say that CLE doesn’t have enough word problems and I have to agree with them. My son struggles a lot with word problems. As much as he’ll hate it, I’m going to research over the summer some word problem supplements. He needs to have those click. They’re not just clicking yet.

This is a great review of CLE. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have used every grade level from 1-6. At times, I've tried other programs, thinking the grass is greener elsewhere, but I've landed back at CLE and have no plans to switch again. It's solid. When I tried mastery programs, my kids have actually regressed because of the lack of spiral. The spiral works amazingly well for us! 

The only thing I don't like is that prealgebra is 2 years - 7th and 8th grade. I know there are people here who have compacted it but I wasn't interested in doing that. My DS finished CLE 6 and moved directly to Derek Owens prealgebra with absolutely no problems. He was well-prepared with CLE and is getting an A. 

Edited by insertcreativenamehere
  • Like 3

DD12 used CLE from 3rd-6th, and ds7 is currently finishing up 1st.

We LOVE CLE. Love it. The LightUnit format is so easy to use, and the kids feel like they're making progress each time they finish one. Finishing 10 short workbooks is much more motivating than looking at one huge textbook! The lessons are simple and very short. There is a lot of review, but I personally think that's important for mastery. It works for us.

We would have kept on with it for dd, but she was ready for pre-algebra, and I knew we would be switching to Saxon for high school. We made the decision to go ahead and make the switch for pre-algebra so that she would have time to adapt to the Saxon format before the difficulty level ratcheted up. She has done great with Saxon, but it is much different than CLE, even though much of the underlying philosophy is the same. I fully intend to keep on with it for ds well into middle school.

The other nice thing about CLE is it's super cheap. You can get just one or two LightUnits and try it out. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost much. Be aware that the first LU in most grades is all pre-tests reviewing the previous year, so you might want to start with the second LU.

• Like 1

If you go with CLE get that little laminated sheet for math that has a ruler, vocabulary, math facts, etc. It is very helpful and super cheap.

• Like 3

If you go with CLE get that little laminated sheet for math that has a ruler, vocabulary, math facts, etc. It is very helpful and super cheap.

I love those laminated math charts and we don't even use CLE.  Very, very, handy things to have around.  The Language Arts ones are good too. 

• Like 2

I recently switched one of my DDs from SM to CLE because a mastery approach was simply not working for her. She was forgetting so much. We did the placement test for CLE and she actually placed 2 years behind but only by 1 or 2 questions. I decided to go with the lower level because it would be easy and help rebuild her confidence. We did just one lesson a day at first but now we’re accelerating it. We skip the quizzes and fun lessons and double up lessons by doing only the new section of the first and all of the second. We also do the tests just so I can make sure I didn’t miss issues. She’s doing fine with this pace right now so we’ll keep it up as long as we can. We’ll also be doing math through the summer. Hopefully we’ll be caught up in the next year.

I love those laminated math charts and we don't even use CLE. Very, very, handy things to have around. The Language Arts ones are good too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

I think CLE looks like a good option for my daughter. I tested her and she got 76 on the 300 placement test. It says that she should start at 400.

Depending on what 401 looks like, I'll do the 401 as a good review. Then proceed through the rest of the book. I hope Rio regain her confidence. And hopefully she'll be able to do some of this independent because she loves being able to work independently. I think this will be a nice curriculum for her. She loves math and i want to keep it that way.

I plan on ordering it today.

Edited by bttrflyvld

We absolutely love CLE. We've only been doing it for one school year so far. We're also catching up math with my oldest, after spending 2 years trying different things to make it "click" for her and falling further behind. She was behind in public school and would have never ever caught up in school, which is why we switched to homeschool. Nothing worked until CLE. It's very easy to go through quickly for catch-up, but still very thorough. LOVE the laminated sheets too! We also use the Language Arts sheets. My daughter is in 6th grade and we're close to starting the 5th grade level. We're working through the summers, skipping the quizzes, but still doing the unit tests just for my peace of mind, and doing math even on "holiday" days when we don't do other subjects. I started my son with CLE in kindy and he loves it as well. We do supplement for word problems with the Process Skills in Problem Solving workbooks. They were highly recommended here, and my kids and I love them. 

Edited by Teek
  • Like 1