Menu

National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP)

Hi all,

I am curious if any here is familiar with the National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP). Our son just received an email from the College Board saying:

"Congratulations! You scored in the top 2.5% on the PSAT/NMSQT ® among all Hispanic and Latino high school junior test-takers in your region. As a result of your test performance, the College Board is pleased to invite you to participate in the National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP)."

This is interesting though we've never heard of it before. 

Here's the funny part we just had a good laugh over. Our kids are 'primarily' Caucasian, mostly of German decent with blue eyes and fairly light complected. However, they are also 1/4 Spanish (from Spain). Well, after looking up the criteria Spain is the 'only' European country qualified for this recognition. So it appears they 'technically' qualify, meeting the minimum set of criteria. I'm just not sure it is something worth pursuing. If he were to actually get a scholarship based on ethnicity he certainly doesn't look the part nor does he have any sense of Hispanic culture, pride, Latino connectedness, etc... Although we do have a Spanish surname, he's learning the language and he loves Mexican food! :thumbup:   I've heard colleges offering scholarships can ask things like 'what does it feel like to be a top Hispanic scholar? Or what does that mean to you?' To which his answers and general appearance would seem somewhat... odd.  :blush:

What do you think?
  • Like 2

Hello Derek: Yes, I knew about this. By coincidence, approximately 2 hours ago, I went into my daughters room, to get the trash. I am in charge of trash and garbage here...  She was looking at the special email account she had created (Gmail) before taking the PSAT. She  received the same email your DS  received. Top 2.5%   I wonder if she had studied more than one day for the PSAT, what percentile she would be in.  It is not a Scholarship program, however, I believe it will be something very positive to put on her university applications later this year.  If your DS meets the requirements, I would suggest that he provide them the documentation they have requested. OT: This is a PSA for looking in the "Promotional" (SPAM) folder. My DD had a lot of stuff there. Possibly that included the email we are discussing in this thread.  If your son provides the documentation they have requested and if he puts that on his university applications, IMO it will increase the possibility of him being accepted by universities he applies to and also of getting better aid.  Diversity...

• Like 2

Some universities, like Texas A &M, offer specific scholarships for Hispanic Scholars. I don’t think looks or culture matter. It is all based on PSAT scores. I would definitely take advantage of it since your son’s scores were high enough.

• Like 4

Hello Derek: Yes, I knew about this. By coincidence, approximately 2 hours ago, I went into my daughters room, to get the trash. I am in charge of trash and garbage here...  She was looking at the special email account she had created (Gmail) before taking the PSAT. She  received the same email your DS  received. Top 2.5%   I wonder if she had studied more than one day for the PSAT, what percentile she would be in.  It is not a Scholarship program, however, I believe it will be something very positive to put on her university applications later this year.  If your DS meets the requirements, I would suggest that he provide them the documentation they have requested. OT: This is a PSA for looking in the "Promotional" (SPAM) folder. My DD had a lot of stuff there. Possibly that included the email we are discussing in this thread.  If your son provides the documentation they have requested and if he puts that on his university applications, IMO it will increase the possibility of him being accepted by universities he applies to and also of getting better aid.  Diversity...

Thanks, Lanny. After our initial reaction and joking around a bit, we thought there may actually be something to it. So instead of just deleting the email we might consider submitting the requested documentation as you suggest.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

FWIW, just for reference, note that there is a completely different organization called National Hispanic Scholarship fund, or something similar, that involves need-based scholarships.  NHRP is separate.

There are some potential scholarships - Kentucky comes to mind - check the discussions at CC.  For a few more prestigious colleges, NHRP may put the student in the running for competitive scholarships, though it's often unclear the extent to which there will be a need-based component or URM component.  Perhaps colleges looking to recruit URMs is where things get murky for a descendant of Spain - I don't know.

My junior also got NHRP, though we were waiting for it :).  I doubt it'll end up being relevant for scholarships for the schools on her list, but who knows what the future will bring.  As far as I know (which is never very far lol), NHRP can be listed as a national award on apps.

• Like 2

Here’s an example:

http://scholarships.tamu.edu/Scholarship-Programs/National-Scholars#0-NationalHispanic

It’s automatic money.

Jazzy,

Its hard to complain about automatic money toward school especially since we're one of the donut hole families financially. We don't qualify for any need based aid and the EFC is a bad joke in most cases. In all other ways we seem to be on the short end of the stick especially for our son - middle class, white (mostly), male.

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 3

Hi all,

I am curious if any here is familiar with the National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP). Our son just received an email from the College Board saying:

"Congratulations! You scored in the top 2.5% on the PSAT/NMSQT ® among all Hispanic and Latino high school junior test-takers in your region. As a result of your test performance, the College Board is pleased to invite you to participate in the National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP)."

This is interesting though we've never heard of it before. 

Here's the funny part we just had a good laugh over. Our kids are 'primarily' Caucasian, mostly of German decent with blue eyes and fairly light complected. However, they are also 1/4 Spanish (from Spain). Well, after looking up the criteria Spain is the 'only' European country qualified for this recognition. So it appears they 'technically' qualify, meeting the minimum set of criteria. I'm just not sure it is something worth pursuing. If he were to actually get a scholarship based on ethnicity he certainly doesn't look the part nor does he have any sense of Hispanic culture, pride, Latino connectedness, etc... Although we do have a Spanish surname, he's learning the language and he loves Mexican food! :thumbup:   I've heard colleges offering scholarships can ask things like 'what does it feel like to be a top Hispanic scholar? Or what does that mean to you?' To which his answers and general appearance would seem somewhat... odd.  :blush:

What do you think?

I am also 1/4 spanish, via the American Southwest, with other nonwhite heritage.

I chose not to pursue any scholarships or funding based on things I had no control over, though I look very ethnic--not that there were a ton of opportunities for kids of mixed background. I was less than a percentage away from a NMF scholarship without putting my ethnicity so it was a particularly big sacrifice because I surely would have been at the top of the pool of only disadvantaged students.

I have paid off my loans and I never got anything for the color of my skin or where my ancestors are from. I never begged or asked for help. It was all based on my own performance against the best in the world and people who had everything. 

But I know people who were discriminated against who took money. I think it's a personal decision, but I would let your son make it.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 1

Some universities, like Texas A &M, offer specific scholarships for Hispanic Scholars. I don’t think looks or culture matter. It is all based on PSAT scores. I would definitely take advantage of it since your son’s scores were high enough.

Thank you for that. My DD is very interested in Texas A&M

No problem! And that is just the minimum A&M will give her. She could get even more.

This thread from College Confidential lists other schools that offer scholarships for NHRP.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1972661-2017-nhrp-scholars-scholarships-p1.html

There are some really good scholarships on this list. Congrats!!!

Edited by Jazzy
  • Like 2

No problem! And that is just the minimum A&M will give her. She could get even more.

This thread from College Confidential lists other schools that offer scholarships for NHRP.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1972661-2017-nhrp-scholars-scholarships-p1.html

Thank you!  Much appreciated.  We are just beginning to understand how important this is for my DD. Very happy as the OP must be. Need based Aid, I'm sure DD will qualify for, because we are an extremely low income family. Merit Aid is a different ball game entirely.

• Like 1

That's a really good list, Jazzy. I saw another list on CC also here with some overlap: https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1962590-national-hispanic-recognition-program-class-of-2018-p4.html

I only wish there were more of these on the west coast since this is where our son wants to attend college. Though I it was nice to see CSU Long Beach. I'm not sure if those lists were based upon the research the folks have in the areas they've looked, letters mailed to students or a combination of both? I'll do some more west coast digging.

• Like 1

Derek if your DS wants to attend a school on the West Coast, there is a possibility, probably a high  probability, that when they see that on his application that their interest in him will perk up.  He should *always* put that on his applications. It might help him. It will not hurt him.  

FWIW, just for reference, note that there is a completely different organization called National Hispanic Scholarship fund, or something similar, that involves need-based scholarships.  NHRP is separate.

There are some potential scholarships - Kentucky comes to mind - check the discussions at CC.  For a few more prestigious colleges, NHRP may put the student in the running for competitive scholarships, though it's often unclear the extent to which there will be a need-based component or URM component.  Perhaps colleges looking to recruit URMs is where things get murky for a descendant of Spain - I don't know.

My junior also got NHRP, though we were waiting for it :).  I doubt it'll end up being relevant for scholarships for the schools on her list, but who knows what the future will bring.  As far as I know (which is never very far lol), NHRP can be listed as a national award on apps.

Congrats to your Junior.   As I suggested to Derek awhile ago, your Junior should *always* put that on university applications.  IMO that will perk their interest...

I googled, National Hispanic Scholarship fund and came up with this URL, which may be what you were referring to. I am going to do some exploring on that web site.

https://www.hsf.net/

• Like 1

That's a really good list, Jazzy. I saw another list on CC also here with some overlap: https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1962590-national-hispanic-recognition-program-class-of-2018-p4.html

I only wish there were more of these on the west coast since this is where our son wants to attend college. Though I it was nice to see CSU Long Beach. I'm not sure if those lists were based upon the research the folks have in the areas they've looked, letters mailed to students or a combination of both? I'll do some more west coast digging.

@dereksurfs    I doubt very much that those lists are all encompassing.  Arizona isn't on the West Coast, but it is on those lists.  Arizona is close to the West Coast...

Of West Coast schools, possibly my DD is interested in Stanford and Caltech.  Neither school is on those lists, but, I suspect that if she applies to them, that they will give her a closer look, because of the NHRP.

Great thread and the NHRP has increased the possibilities, for your DS and for my DD, in the past 2 days. :hurray:

• Like 2

A while back, I was compiling a loose list of schools that might consider NHRP for merit scholarships - not necessarily for anything automatic.  You'd need to check the websites for details as I didn't record why I included them, but in case you're interested:

Colo State U Ft Collins

U Kentucky
U Chicago
U Arizona
Northeastern
RIT
Calif State U Long Beach
Arizona State
U Tulsa
U Nebraska-Lincoln
U Alabama Huntsville
UVM
U Central Florida
U New Mexico
U Alabama Birmingham
Fordham
U South Carolina
BU
U Richmond
  • Like 2

@dereksurfs   @wapiti   and other NHRP families:   I was Googling around for information yesterday and came up with this WIkipedia page.  I suggested to my DD that we assume this information is true and correct, unless and until we learn otherwise.  The College Board mails a CD to the colleges and universities who pay them for that service, with information about the 5000 NHRP students, in September.  I suggested to my DD that she continue making a list of schools to put on her FAFSA application on October 1, 2018 and that she be expecting an avalanche of emails, during September 2018. from schools that have received that CD.  She responded that she's already getting a lot of emails. The emails in September will be sent by schools looking for NHRP students.  Very targeted at 5000 students.   I'm not sure what to expect, since this is our first experience with this, but trying to be prepared and have a "Timeline" for the many things that will need to be done during 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hispanic_Recognition_Program

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I want to bump this thread and remind everyone who qualified to follow up on this and submit the Electronic Application.  DD has been extremely busy the past few weeks.  We did that this morning.  Also, for anyone else who lives overseas, the email acknowledging their receipt of the Electronic Application and attached files has their phone number in it.  Because the mail service from the USA to our house has become horrible during the past 2 or 3 years, DD will call them, in September, to confirm that she is  on the list and ask them to email the confirmation letter and certificate to her.

• Like 2