Menu

Does anyone else lose interest in clothing during the winter?

Janie Grace

I just realized that while it's cold, I have zero interest in looking cute. I delete emails from stores that I love without even looking. I throw out catalogs that I might page through in other seasons. I make do with whatever I have and am not even tempted to buy clothes. I am ONLY interested in staying warm!!! Anyone else? Not much fun, but good for the budget.  ;)

ETA: I still wear it. Just in case you were concerned.

Edited by Janie Grace
  • Like 4

Nope, for me it is summer. For colder weather I get so many choices to layer up and cold weather accessories to pick from. For summer, I do not wish to get sunburn and I do not want to put on sunblock daily so choices of clothes are less. I end up with long sleeve polos and jeans for summer. I have more winter coats than summer tops. I also have lots more winter boots than summer shoes.

• Like 6

At first I thought you meant you ran around NAKED in the winter  :lol: !

I'm not particularly known for my wonderful fashion sense during the year, but in the winter I reach a new low.   Getting through the winter is so exhausting, that by this point I could not care less what I look like when I go out.   The older I get too, the less I care too.   I now understand all those older people I used to see wearing polyester pants suits.

This week I had to take my daughter to dance, and then I went to the grocery store.   I stopped in the bathroom, at first I didn't recognize the homeless person in the mirror, who I realized with a start was ME.   :leaving: Yikes.

The good news is, everyone else is so cold they don't care what I look like either!

• Like 2

No, and I'll tell you why not.  

It's because I have good outerwear.

When I lived in Vermont one of my first purchases was a very good long winter dress coat and some warm boots.  This is mostly because I was literally terrified of the winters, having grown up in San Francisco where 40 is very cold, LOL. I also got gloves and mittens.

When I moved back to CA, I continued to use warm outerwear, and to keep it in my wardrobe all the time.  So I can always peel off that shell of warm protection and look cute underneath; whereas it is more customary here to try to dress imperviously to the weather with at most a jacket on top of regular clothes.

I have a warm long coat (it's a little small--I need a new one; but I got it in the early 90s so I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it), a very warm mid thigh length jacket with a furry hood, a mid thigh length rain jacket with a hood, and a puffy down jacket, about hip length, that I got at Costco for only $20.  This sounds like a lot, but I've assembled this collection over quite a few years and I buy big sizes that fit heavy clothes underneath so I can wear them for a long time.  These kinds of coats make me much more comfortable than most of my friends in inclement weather.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Yes. 

I have more than adequate cold weather gear as I'm used to winter daytime highs being below 0. But the name of the game is to stay warm and be comfortable. That can also be "cute" but in a decidedly different way. Leggings with big shirts and even bigger sweaters and chunky socks are my staples. 

Yes. 

I have more than adequate cold weather gear as I'm used to winter daytime highs being below 0. But the name of the game is to stay warm and be comfortable. That can also be "cute" but in a decidedly different way. Leggings with big shirts and even bigger sweaters and chunky socks are my staples. 

Those Costco Uggs knockoffs are great, too, and very reasonably priced.

For the past few years I have been trying for “put together†all year long. I succeed in the winter, it in the summer I revert to athletic shorts and t-shirts because 98 degrees and 80% humidity can be miserable. Yet, weather wise, I much prefer summer to winter! Go figure.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

For the past few years I have been trying for “put together†all year long. I succeed in the winter, it in the summer I revert to athletic shorts and t-shirts because 98 degrees and 80% humidity can be miserable. Yet, weather wise, I much prefer summer to winter! Go figure.

I've had a hard time with the summer conundrum, too.

Solved it with a jeans skirt, and a flowy linen skirt that doesn't cling to my legs and creates its own little windyness, and tunic shells that are much cooler than t-shirts.

• Like 2

I dress presentably, but definitely not "cute". Actually, "cute" is not the adjective to which I aspire in summer either.

I'm with you on this; can't imagine myself aspiring to cute. My brain actually kind of recoils from the thought.

Huh.

Yet another example of human variation to contemplate :)

• Like 2

Looking cute has never been anywhere near the top of my priority list. In general I find it much easier to dress nicely in the winter. So many nice looking sweaters and boots and things like that. My only concern in the summer is trying to dress to avoid heat exhaustion, and unless I stick with synthetic athleisure stuff the humidity means I'll look like a wrinkled mess within fifteen minutes of getting dressed. So  . . why even bother?

• Like 3

I'm the opposite.  I like winter clothing so much better than summer clothing!  I love wearing sweaters with jeans, pants, or leggings and a pair of boots.  I find myself enjoying shopping more because I love all of the cute sweaters that are out.  I have a lot of sweaters and probably 8-10 pairs of boots.  I also have quite a few coats.  I feel much more put together in the winter.

I hate when the weather starts warming up.  I hate wearing shorts and t-shirts.  I never feel very fashionable in the summer.  I usually wear dresses or a skirt and top, but I find myself anxiously awaiting when I can go back to fall/winter attire.  

• Like 7

I love winter clothes. I am so much more comfortable in cozy layers than in warm weather clothing. In summer I basically just wear skirts and a fitted t if it's hot (ie over 70) but in winter I get to put much cuter outfits together.

Boots, scarves and cardigans pull together almost any outfit, and multiple layers look polished and allow for indoor-outdoor temperature fluctuations. Athleisure wear is both comfortable and can be office appropriate at the same time, as well as stylish and cute.

Give me winter over summer any day for clothing options (and well, any options really).

• Like 5

I hate winter clothes. I don’t like sweaters because no matter what I do, the static drives my crazy. I like long sleeved T’s, but my arms are long-ish and my shirts always end up shrinking to the point that they don’t cover my wrists. I end up tugging on them all day.

Of course, I also hate being cold and my skin getting uncomfortably dry in the winter. I’m a Deep South girl, I like heat and humidity.

I'm kind of the opposite.  Where I live, summer is painfully hot and lasts forever.  The only way to survive it is in knit mini skirts and tees/tanks, and I get so bored wearing that every single day, month after month after month after month.  I can't wait for cooler weather when I can wear the kind of clothes that I prefer:  long pants and long sleeves.  Thanks to global warming we don't even have a real winter anymore, just a  brief season of relief where it's in the 40's/50's instead of the 90's/100's.  It's only February, and I'm already dreading summer! 

• Like 3

I also have no driving need to look cute all the time. I rather like being able to transform and get people to do a double take. I don’t mind my unadorned self. In the winter I’m more interested in long underwear than mascara. Tonight I wore a down-filled knee-length coat to class because it got COLD again.

I don’t like summer clothes. I love bundling up in lots of winter clothes.

I have a bunch of stuff I like, but I cover it up when I’m home with an ankle-length, zip-up, hooded robe made out of some sort of fuzzy material. And I wear fake fur lined leggings under silk ankle length skirts and I’m shocked at how warm those keep me. And I have an ankle length coat for outside.

Summer clothes are boring to me. I prefer all the gobs of clothes I can pile up on myself in the winter. :)

• Like 1

This is why I pretty much don't care about fashion all year round. Because I am ALWAYS cold. Even on the hottest days of the summer, AC that makes other folks comfortable makes me cold.

I have a lightweight robe I wear over my summer clothes for when the AC is too low. I keep it high during the day, but when DH is due to come home, it’s set to be lower because he suffers in the heat. I can tell when he’s due to come home because I start getting cold (77 instead of 79) and I put on the robe. We have friends who keep their ac so low that I suffer there and so I bring my winter robe and slippers to their house in the height of summer.

No, because warm cardigans are my favorite thing to wear. And also I get to wear black jeans and black boots all the time, and not shave my legs.

I can’t remember when I last shaved my legs. They’re pretty impressive right now. Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

No, and I'll tell you why not.  

It's because I have good outerwear.

When I lived in Vermont one of my first purchases was a very good long winter dress coat and some warm boots.  This is mostly because I was literally terrified of the winters, having grown up in San Francisco where 40 is very cold, LOL. I also got gloves and mittens.

When I moved back to CA, I continued to use warm outerwear, and to keep it in my wardrobe all the time.  So I can always peel off that shell of warm protection and look cute underneath; whereas it is more customary here to try to dress imperviously to the weather with at most a jacket on top of regular clothes.

I have a warm long coat (it's a little small--I need a new one; but I got it in the early 90s so I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it), a very warm mid thigh length jacket with a furry hood, a mid thigh length rain jacket with a hood, and a puffy down jacket, about hip length, that I got at Costco for only $20.  This sounds like a lot, but I've assembled this collection over quite a few years and I buy big sizes that fit heavy clothes underneath so I can wear them for a long time.  These kinds of coats make me much more comfortable than most of my friends in inclement weather.

I think this is the key! In CA (where I grew up), it is fun to dress for the "cold" because it never really is cold (I think I'm from a town quite close to where you live). In truly cold places, clothing choices are so limited - warmest coat, warmest shoes, etc - that there isn't that much fun in it anymore.

FWIW, I think that is a plus of Chicago vs New York. In NYC, it is warm enough that people still try to be fashionable. In Chicago, the people know it is miserable (often) and just try to be comfortable. I love it.

Emily

• Like 2

I’ve pretty much lost interest in clothing all together as I’ve gotten older. I fight it because I don’t like to feel frumpy but I wish I could have a constant outfit like a cartoon character.

Yep, for me it's older and heavier.

At this point, "cute" is so far in my rear-view mirror that I have ceased to associate that word with myself. My highest ambition in terms of clothing is to look presentable, like I am wearing something I chose intentionally rather than having slapped on whatever I grabbed in the dark.

• Like 1