Menu

What's with the ads?

Paradox5

Making History Odyssey More Interesting

What are your ideas/things you have done to make the level 2 books less dry? All ideas welcome: extra books, alternate spines (even better if you would share your alignment plans), dvds, how you modified the assignments, etc..

We dropped it. :leaving:

It was killing my kid's love of history.  I bought Creek Edge Press task cards instead and used those to create a weekly plan with note taking, fiction, videos, websites, and creative projects.  My kid was at the age where he started to do more on the computer and created Powerpoint presentations, maps, etc.  Sometimes he would do the cards as written, sometimes he'd ask to substitute (collages were not a favorite thing here) and present a different idea.  Having a simple, flexible weekly plan was easier on us than the push-and-pull of HO.

• Like 2

What spine do you use? We use k12’s Human Odyssey books with History Odyssey Level 2, and my kids both like those books. My seventh grader is using Notgrass’s America the Beautiful this year for a year of specific US History, and I don’t think he likes it as much as he likes the k12 books.

But History Odyssey is a really good fit for him. He loved almost every single one of the ancient and medieval literature books, and he likes the summaries/notes. DD used it for early modern and modern and didn’t like it as much, but there are a lot of worksheets for those, and those got tedious. She didn’t like some of the literature selections *at all,* so if I use it for my son next year, I will modify it. Probably just to be more reading the k12 books and writing summaries and facts, maybe the maps. Few worksheets. Probably some alternative literature. The modern level 2, in particular, is a LOT.

• Like 1

I have HO2: Middle Ages. I went through it and was slashing things off, but ended up getting frustrated. I decided to just type up my own version of HO using it as a guideline.

I basically kept all the maps, worksheets, and timeline stuff. We are going to use KFH because it is concise and not overwhelming, but I also have about 20 other world history encyclopedias, atlases, and books that he can use for more depth when he desires.

We haven't started it yet, as this is for the Fall, but I think he will like that much better. We won't be doing any essays, summaries, or outlines because he'll be busy enough with WWS and learning proper note taking and study techniques through our science studies.

I slashed most of the literature books, but we are going to do a few Shakespeare graphic novels, Robin Hood, Sword and the Circle, Canterbury Tales, and Tales from Japan. We are going to enrich our studies with documentaries from Amazon, Netflix, and YouTube as well as watch some movies for fun like The Adventures of Robin Hood and Much Ado About Nothing. 

• Like 3

What spine do you use? We use k12’s Human Odyssey books with History Odyssey Level 2, and my kids both like those books. My seventh grader is using Notgrass’s America the Beautiful this year for a year of specific US History, and I don’t think he likes it as much as he likes the k12 books.

But History Odyssey is a really good fit for him. He loved almost every single one of the ancient and medieval literature books, and he likes the summaries/notes. DD used it for early modern and modern and didn’t like it as much, but there are a lot of worksheets for those, and those got tedious. She didn’t like some of the literature selections *at all,* so if I use it for my son next year, I will modify it. Probably just to be more reading the k12 books and writing summaries and facts, maybe the maps. Few worksheets. Probably some alternative literature. The modern level 2, in particular, is a LOT.

Would you mind sharing your correlation guide?

edited to add: I should have stated we aren't using this program yet. I did use Ancients with my older guys way back when. They thought it was great. Their favorite part was creating a pictorial timeline for the dates. We still have it in book form along with the summaries, etc. they did.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 1

My kids are doing level 2 Middle Ages and one loves it and the other is tolerating it. For the younger one, I am not requiring additional literature or writing from him this year. He is just doing history for writing. I think it would be overkill with another writing program like WWS or something. It is pretty open and go and history is getting done. So there is that...

Sometimes I don't have him do all the summaries if he has to outline as well. Or he can just tell me about them verbally or do a very short couple of lines. We have skipped some of the bigger reports as well. If it is a long lesson we break it up into two days. I am adding in some movies and a promise if they do well with it I will take them to the Renaissance festival this spring.

My son was recently inspired to make his own medieval village out of clay in his free time. So maybe he is enjoying the topic more than he lets on.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

Paradox5, I will PM you later today with the plans I have. I know one of them disappeared, but I should have the others.

We use WWS, so we have mostly skipped the History Odyssey writing assignments.

Following, because we are about to drop History Odyssey level 2 for my 7th grader.  He's bored to tears and not learning.  We're only through about a quarter of the lessons for Middle Ages.  We decided to have him listen in on younger siblings lessons (they use History Odyssey level 1), keep up with the maps and timeline and find some literature and other resources to round it out.  I was about to post on here for book ideas.

I think this really depends on the kid on how much they will enjoy HO. I've never used History Odyssey Level 2 as written because I can't leave well enough alone. I switched out spines & rewrote assignments. The next years, I didn't buy the plans because I knew I was going to make them pretty much un-recognizable. However, I've used the idea (notebook sections, outlining or summarizing, etc.) for a couple of kids. DD#3 did her middle ages a la History Odyssey this year using the Kingfisher & Human Odyssey books.

It probably isn't perfect, but I attached a rough HO Level 2 Medieval aligned with K12 HO & Kingfisher PDF. 

The actual plans look more like what I cut & pasted below. (Note that this kid did this same type of thing last year, so she doesn't need all the hand-holding of what to write & how to write it that I did when I wrote the plans for her last year. She loves this type of history & makes great connections and inferences using the HO method. She's also not afraid to write.

Lesson 30

ï² Read HO2 pg 81-93.

ï² Write summaries & mark important dates on your timeline.

Under Men & Women, Castiglione, Isabella d’Este, Machiavelli

Lesson 31

ï² Read HO2 pg 95-105.

ï² Read KHW pg 380-381.

Under Men & Women, Jan van Eych, Dürer, Holbein, Erasmus, Thomas More “Utopiaâ€

ï² Map pg 96 “Europe c 1500†- use Map Trek Europe in 12th Century

Lesson 32

ï² Read HO2 pg 107-119.

ï² Read KHW pg 354-355.

ï² Read KHW pg 350-351.

Under Religion, Pope Leo X, Martin Luther, 95 Theses, Diet of Worms, John Calvin, King Henry VIII “Defender of the Faithâ€

HO Level 2 Medieval schedule with k12 Human Odyssey and kingfisher.pdf

• Like 6

There might also be some videos you can tie in. Alia Heise put together a list of movies for SOTW2. PM me your email address if you want me to send it to you. I don't have enough space to upload it here.

Thanks for all this.
Someone emailed me a line up list for HO Ancient but my email ate it! Whoever it was, would you mind emailing again?

We are going to try this cause I think it will help us to have one subject rather than the 9+ we have now.

Am I correct in my assumption that HO 2 will cover:
History
Geography
Literature
Writing
Vocabulary

Leaving only:
Math
Science
Grammar (SO ready to drop this!!)
Spelling (ready to drop this)

Edited by Paradox5

IMO, yes, it does. We are in HO Middle Ages 2 this year.  I think you could drop grammar and spelling by doing conscious editing of the essays that are written.  The literature portion needs to have some element of discussing literature to it--it's just straight up reading of historical fiction if you used the curriculum as designed--but for my kid who needs a very specific checklist of what to do, and not too much work, it's been a good fit.

ETA: We do add a fair amount of Netflix to our history studies to keep this kid engaged, but he's a visual learner, and I'd need to do that anyway.  It certainly helps with the boredom factor.

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 1

Would using WWS 1 very slowly alongside HO be overkill? 

As an aside, if the guys have not done any WWE 3 (except the 1st week) or WWE 4, would progressing to WWS 1 be a serious bad idea?

I think I would prefer to drop a separate writing but even on the Pandia FAQ, they suggest using an additional writing program.

Hmmm...we’ve used both of those.

WWS1 was a slog—a helpful one, but one nonetheless.

I would say pick and choose between the assignments on History Odyssey when it is a heavy WWS week. I think HO is a great way to practice outlining. It doesn’t offer enough support for those who need it on the short answer/essay assignments.

Would IEW be easy for them? If IEW would be a stretch, I would say don’t do WWS but use IEW techniques on the HO assignments.

I laid out Human Odyssey book 2 and History Odyssey level 2 early modern out in front of ds yesterday and he chose Human Odyssey. Huh. Well, there goes next year’s plans.