Math: TT7

Grammar: Easy Grammar Plus + Diagramming the Scriptures

Vocabulary: Word Roots 2

Handwriting: Patriotic Penmanship Jr. High

Science: Christian Kids Explore Physics

History: SOTW4 + additional work as outlined in TWTM

Bible: Herein Is Love Exodus (group) + Journey Through The Bible Book 1

Latin: Latin Primer 1

Logic: The Amazing Dr. Ransom’s Bestiary of Adorable Fallacies + The Thinking Toolbox 

Writing: The Creative Writer

Music: Busy Kids Do Piano

Art: 13 Art Techniques Children Should Know + 13 Art Movements Children Should Know 

On 2/1/2018 at 6:32 PM, hollyhock said:

Didn't see one of these, so I thought I would start it.

I'll have my third 7th grader next year. Probably he will do...

TT either 7 or pre-algebra (going to do placement tests at the end of this year)

LLATL Green

Pathway Reading 7

Narrations, outlines, rewrites across curriculum

Apologia Zoology 1 for first semester, something else second semester (not sure what yet)

SOTW 4

various logic puzzles (Perplexors, Analogy Challenges, etc.)

Geography, Province to Province (Canadian)

L'art de Lire 3 or 4 (if he wants to continue French)

I think that's it. What do you have lined up so far? ?

Update:

Definitely doing TT 7. He wants to start the year with The World of Plants from God's Design, then maybe do Zoology 1 afterwards. I will have to add either CTGE or Easy Grammar because he's going to blow through LLATL in a semester but I'll worry about that in December. And he is going to continue French.

We are doing a light year. I need a break!

Saxon math 8/7

Grammar For the Well-Trained Mind

Writing With Skill 1 ( we will see how it goes, might return to IEW ) Took just a week to return to IEW SICC-B

Wordly Wise 3000 7 - 8

Vocabulary from Classical Roots A -B

MOSDOS literature Jade

Mapping the World with Art

various Spanish

Wheelock's Latin ( Slowly with all supporting books )

Piano

Great Courses Plus - ( Science, History, Etc. )

and various literature.

• Like 1

I'm trying not to over-plan.  It is so easy and enjoyable to plan the perfect year, but I am going to aim for the year I really expect us to have.  

Language Arts:  Spelling- complete Apples and Pears, start Megawords, and continue with Touch Type Read Spell.

Writing: We will focus on writng better sentences and paragraphs .  Complete Treasured Conversations, do sections   on keywords from IEW, practice these skills, and late spring start Bravewriter.

Grammar: rotate Editor in Chief  with Easy Grammar and use some ACT prep books( they break down some on the concepts nicely)

Lit:  oral reading from books on the shelves with me...

Science:  complete all kits,all plant/ botany resourses, snap circuits,and then....maybe earth science resources? Ths is the last year of non outsourced science.

Math:  complete VideoText Algebra 2, start Geometry , find review materials to keep algebra fresh

Logic: maybe? finish Fallacy Detecive

History:complete Story of Civilization I and Famous Men of Greece and Rome.  Include duct tape weaponry and more intensive battle study.

Religion: youcat, Assention Presents podcasts and videos

Computer Programing:  udemy?  Completed all of Youth digital, not sure where to go. Give him-an hour or more to work on this as he loves it.

Here's how 7th grade is looking with my youngest. Our day consists of a morning meeting to go over his planner, followed by a math block, then an English block, then lunch and outside time. In the afternoons, we do Latin and then alternate a history/science block with an arts block on separate days. One day a week, we have co-op and on that day, we have morning meeting, math, then co-op. He has special needs, so giving him longer blocks of time to work on a single subject works best, because there are fewer transitions.

Math: TT Pre-Algebra

Latin: Latin for Children A

Life/Social Skills: Model Me curriculum, weekly life skills goals, daily exposures (CBT)

History/Science Block: Big History Project with integrated science (I've taught BHP before. We'll incorporate physics/chemistry into semester 1, and life science into semester 2), monthly STEM kits

Writing & Grammar: Growing with Grammar 7, Writing Strands B2 (just the writing lessons), daily journal writing

Literature: Mosdos Jade, independent reading (meeting the daily goal on his Kindle Paperwhite)

Spelling & Vocabulary: BHP Vocabulary, Marie's Words

Arts Block: selected weekly projects, art therapy

Co-Op: Chemistry Lab/ Painting

PE: Gymnastics

My oldest will be in 7th.

BYL 7 - this is our first time to use a program like this but we are looking forward to it

Writing and Rhetoric - finish book 6, start 7

Fix-it Grammar - finish book 2, start 3

Vocabulary from Classical Roots - B + C

Latin Alive - A

AOPS Intro to Algebra

Logic puzzles - Mind Benders 6, Pattern Explorer 2

Chemistry - homemade program (still working on this!)

SOTW vol 4 - with family - I'm not having her do the logic stage extensions this year

Art of Argument - outsourced class

Piano lessons, Girl Scouts

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 2:47 PM, vaquitita said:

My oldest will be in 7th next year. Ack!

Math: Beast Academy finish 4 plus do 5

LA: Brave writer as a family plus Write On! when I don't have time for family writing projects.  

Fix It grammar 2

Word roots of some kind, either R&S or CTC

History: Layers of Learning year 3

Science: Layers of Learning year 3

Geography: Layers of Learning year 3

Extras: piano lessons. Typing, next year we need to actually DO it! And I've decided next year is the year of PE.

I pretty much ended up changing everything. ? I am switching my older two to doing their own reading for history and science. And I involved him in picking his LA curriculum, hoping that will help with cooperation. His line up is now:

Math: Beast Academy finish 4, do 5 (unchanged)

LA: HWOT, Growing with Grammar, English From the Roots Up, Writing Strands (possibly BW Faltering Ownership for the 2nd semester), a mix of BW arrows and boomerangs.

History: mom made History of Technology

Science: Bookshark 6

Geography: Wayfarers 50 States and where to find them, mapping activities only.

Extras: Keyboarding without Tears, drawing, tennis, gymnastics, BitsBox

On 4/15/2018 at 6:30 PM, Runningmom80 said:

Ok, I have fleshed some stuff out.

I bought BYL level 8 last year to use but we ended up doing Big History Project instead.  It's been great but now BYL is calling my name again. (Mostly because Above the Rowan posted about it on instagram. lol)

Ok, onto our very tentative plan:

• Math: Geometry (after he completes Jacobs Algebra. I expect him to be 2/3 of the way done by June) I have no idea what Geometry we will use but I think we need a tutor or an online class
  • Spanish: HSA 
  • Grammar: MCT Voyage
  • Writing: Bravewriter classes
  • Lit: Lord of the Rings class at G3 and possibly BYL lit & Readers
  • Science: Chemistry with MEL kits for semester 1 and Physics for semester 2
  • History: Story of Science

I think that's it!  We are house hunting so I'm not buying any books until we move and that means I'll probably change this plan 100 times.

No BYL.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of it, but my guy is just too asynchronous.  I might use it for my youngers!

Our plan is looking more like this,

Math: Finish Jacobs and work through grades 7 & 8 with Waldorfish Geometry as a fun supplement

Spanish: Homeschool Spanish Academy

Grammar: I have Grammar for Middle School, (I think that's what it's called?) "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," and "They Say, I Say" so we'll just meander through those this year instead of MCT Now I'm thinking GFTWTM?  Is it secular? 

Lit: LotR Online G3 & Lightening Lit 8 in the Spring

Writing: Continue to work on mechanics of academic writing.  We want to take the Judy Bloom masterclass too!

Science: He liked the sound of Oak Meadow high school currics for this

History: OM for this too

Edited by Runningmom80

On 2/8/2018 at 12:58 PM, SGPS said:

Still gleaning inspiration but so far ...

Saxon Math 87 or maybe AoPS Pre Algebra which we will trial this summer
Spelling Workout G
Sonlight G, world history, literature & LA
Apologia General Science
Henle Visual Latin Greek
Piano with tutor
Spanish

... he draws and is always working on that. There may be some classes next year, also. He is hoping for a public speaking class. (probably no outside classes next year besides the art classes within walking distance of home)

Three weeks in and I think I've finally nailed this down for the year (except a future Latin decision).

• Saxon 87
  • Sonlight G World History & literature
  • Apologia General Science w/ student notebook
  • Getting Started with Latin (to review/refresh and following that with something off my shelf -- Visual Latin, Henle, or Cambridge ... or something)
  • Rod and Staff English 6
  • Writing With Skill 1
  • karate
  • piano
  • Japanese From Zero
  • his own self directed art