Menu

7th grade planning thread 2018-19

hollyhock

Didn't see one of these, so I thought I would start it.

I'll have my third 7th grader next year. Probably he will do...

TT either 7 or pre-algebra (going to do placement tests at the end of this year)

LLATL Green

Pathway Reading 7

Narrations, outlines, rewrites across curriculum

Apologia Zoology 1 for first semester, something else second semester (not sure what yet)

SOTW 4

various logic puzzles (Perplexors, Analogy Challenges, etc.)

Geography, Province to Province (Canadian)

L'art de Lire 3 or 4 (if he wants to continue French)

I think that's it. What do you have lined up so far? :D

• Like 2

I don't know if I am ready to think about this yet!

What I am thinking so far is:

History/Literature/Geography/writing

History Odyssey- Early Modern-We will probably add a few more books in for literature aside from the ones assigned, maybe some modern YA fiction

Other language arts:

Easy Grammar plus

Sequential spelling 4

Figuratively speaking

Possibly another writing resource for simple 5 paragraph essays

Science

I really have no idea- coming back to this thread for ideas! Would love to do some kind of lego robotics and computer programming if I can find something he can do on his own.

Math-

Lials Basic College Math textbook (prealgebra)

Extracurriculars:

Co-op (non academic)

Archery

Boy Scouts

Art

I've been thinking on this for a few weeks. I've narrowed it down to:

Essentials in Writing 7

Essentials in Literature 7

Apples & Pears - finish the program

American history 2 (modern) - very informal and interest-led

Pre-algebra - either Chalkdust (which I already have) or Mr. D (which I'm tempted by)

Apologia General Science... but I'm still considering The Rainbow

• Like 1

Sixth grade has gone pretty well, so we're mostly going to do the next thing.

History - K-12 Human Odyssey as the spine, with supplements from Gardner's Art through the Ages, Usborne books, and a weekly lesson in the Critical Thinking Company's History Detective - I divide the material into units, and student takes notes until the unit is done and then writes a report

Science - This year we used 'Self-Teaching Guide to...' for astronomy and geology - coupled with studying for Science Olympiad, it's been a full look at those topics. If the schedule works to take the 'life science with dissection' class at co-op, we'll do that, and otherwise we'll probably do something that relates to Science Olympiad topics or an area of interest

Language Arts - MCT - we'll be doing the literature level. Two days/week, he chooses to free-read anything from the literature shelf. We'll pick an MCT trilogy but I'll find some more classics, too. We use one of the Kilgallon books, but we're moving slowly through it. Once/week, we've been doing an exercise in 'Spelling Works' to review spelling rules, and we'll continue with that if we don't finish it this year. Weekly we do a reading comprehension page from Critical Thinking Company.

Math - we'll start AoPS geometry. I've heard that students often forget algebra if they take a break to do geometry, so I plan to supplement 5ish algebra problems each week.

Co-op - courses will depend on how the schedule fits together, but favorites from this year include chess, fencing, Latin, and some game-based history courses.

Extracurriculars - baseball, basketball, scouts, youth group, and Science Olympiad

I will have a 7th grader next year. He’s my least schoolish kid. He’s super creative and fun but hates school. So I’m never exactly sure what we are doing. Mostly I try and encourage him to learn but not kill his spirit. I joke that he’s like a skittish wild animal when it comes to school...I cautiously approach but if he gets the idea that something is “learning†he runs away. 

Math- Not sure. He’ll finish Singapore sometime in the next year. His brother uses AOPS but I don’t think it’s a good fit for this kid. He doesn’t like Math so even though I think he could do it he won’t want to spend that kind of time. I’m thinking about Jousting Armadillos or something similar as a Pre-Algebra kind of program. 

LA- We started using Bravewriter this year and we’ll likely continue with that kind of approach. He did NaNoWriMo this year and did a great story that he’s still working on illustrating and we’ll publish for him as a Blurb book. Writing is one thing he does like so I mostly try to encourage his interest. He’s done a book club at our co-op the past two years but I think he wants to not do it next year. So we’ll do more literary discussion here, but mostly conversational. 

History- I think I want to do ancients with his sister and he’ll probably join us. 

Science- This is the big not sure area. I want to do more with him, but not sure what we’ll do. 

He’s doing Greek this year by choice. If he wants to continue he can. And he’s doing ASL at co-op. He really likes that so I think he’ll keep up with it. 

• Like 2

Next year's 7th grader (how did he get that big already!   :svengo: )

Math: R&S 7

Grammar: finish Warriner's 7 (grammar bits)  and continue using SWB's writing audio guidelines at our own pace. 

Spelling: continue working through 1000 words list.  

Lit: bits from AO Year 6, plus whatever else works.  

Science:   he may end up with Abeka, simply because his reading comprehension for non-fiction has made significant gains using their science this year.   I'll add in some TOPS units for more fun.  And lots of NOVA.   And nature study that I will have to relabel because he thinks he's too old for it. ;)

History:  AO Year 6, with some modifications to fit this kid

Latin: continue with GSWL; maybe move to Latin Prep when done. Or maybe not.  

Lots of drawing time, artist and composer study using the resources over at AO.  Or what I pull off the shelves here.  

Find a sport.  He's too old now for the team he was playing on for years.  He's not super athletic, but he does enjoy being part of it once he gets out there.  

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

My oldest will be in 7th next year. Ack!

Edited to update. I've realized I'm going crazy trying to teach my four kids all together. It worked great for many years, but now with the large age span and the older kids getting older... It's time to cut the older two loose. They're tired of having to wait for me and the little kid interruptions.

Math: Beast Academy finish 4 plus do 5

LA: Brave writer as a family plus Write On! when I don't have time for family writing projects. He's going to do a mix of arrows and boomerangs on his own instead of with the younger kids. For writing, first semester will be Writing Strands 3 and second semester 5 projects from Faltering ownership. I've signed up for the Writers jungle online class for me in the fall and I'll sign him up for a class in the spring.

Fix It grammar 2. Decided to drop this in favor of a short to the point workbook. Probably Spectrum language arts 7. He had too much copy work going on.

Word roots of some kind, either R&S or critical thinking co or vocabulary vine. Eta: After showing him a couple options, he picked English From the Roots Up.

History: Layers of Learning year 3. One year American history overview, planned by me with a mix of books from the BF and Bookshark lists.

Science: Layers of Learning year 3. EM daily science 6 plus some LoL biology units with the other kids. We'll grow ladybugs and tadpoles; and dissect frogs and fish, etc. Not sure if this will take us all year or just the first semester. If the latter, I may pick out some other fun science units from LoL. And he'll read the Story Book of Science.

Geography: Layers of Learning year 3. 50 states using a combo of the Thinking Tree book and Barefoot Ragamuffins 50 states course. Plus scramble the states for some fun. This will be done with the other kids.

Extras: piano lessons. Typing, next year we need to actually DO it! And I've decided next year is the year of PE.

Math: Pre-algebra, using the rest of Singapore 6, Jousting Armadillos, and something to review arithmetic

Writing/Grammar: ??

Spelling: AAS 7

Science: Life Science with Science Explorer and labs

History/Literature: continue our work through AO with 5th grade sister, hopefully the end of year 3 through year 4

Religion: Bible History, Catechism, and saints

Spanish

Logic puzzle books of some kind

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

Saxon 76

RS4K Building Blocks 6

Memoria Press Insects, Birds, and Trees

Hake Grammar    The Good and the Beautiful Language Arts 

Sequential Spelling

BYL 6 - American History Part II

BYL 7 - World Geography: North and South America (i.e. weeks 1-10)

FLVS Creative Photography 1

CTT Animation 1 & 2

Recreational Soccer 

Recreational Swim club

MS Cross Country Team

MS Track Team

Local fitness program

Local running club

Local triathlon team

** If only he put the same level of effort into both schoolwork and fitness training. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure my dd is going to be going to a two day a week homeschool coop that's academic and she will get most of the instruction there. So I won't actually have to do much planning. How strange! They are using MOH, apologia science, Saxon prealgebra, various literature books, and I'm not sure what else right off.

• Like 1

I can't believe my oldest is going into 7th grade. When the heck did this happen?!

He's not very schoolish or academic. His overall, general lack of enthusiasm about school has been a bit of a sticky-point for us this year. He likes what we're doing, but he's not super excited about anything either. But...12 year olds, right? He wants to learn, just...this year he doesn't want to do any WORK to do the learning. Sigh. That's a topic for a whole other thread lol.

Anyway, so far this is what we've got in mind. Nothing set in stone yet, we're about to start up a few new things for the second half of this year so much of that will probably still be used at the start of next year.

Math: Jousting Armadillos or AoPS Pre-Algebra

Science:

Option 1: Physics. Probably from Elemental Science (Logic Stage Physics) It's not secular enough for us, usually, but it looks good enough and looks like it'll get done.

Option 2: RSO's Earth Science Level 2, if it's released in time.

Lang.Arts:

Well-Ordered Language,

Brave Writer Boomerangs (probably),

BW's Faltering Ownership (maybe).

Lit: TBD, he loves to read but the second he senses that a book is a "school reading book", he is NOT interested. Ugh.

History: We've been really enjoying K12s Human Odyssey Book Two this year, and will probably still be working from that. Barring anything else catching my eye in the meantime, we'll probably just carry into Book Three.

Also:

Latin Alive (we're starting it here soon, so he'll probably be finishing up Book 1 in the first part of next school year).

Joy Hakim's Story of Science Series.

Philosophy (we're slowly working through Sophie's World. it's tough but he loves it!)

Other things TBD lol.

• Like 1

7th Grade! I have a lot of ideas, but have yet to pin things down...

Math: AOPS Pre-Algebra (possibly w/WTMA), or MUS Pre-Algebra, or MM 7, or ??? or some sort of combo?

Writing: WWS (possibly w/WTMA), or CW, and some sort of creative writing or I will have a mutiny on my hands.

Spelling: finish up AAS and do review of all levels

Grammar: MCT and/or GftWTM

Science: BJU or Apologia or The Rainbow or ???, and Nature Journal/Special Studies

U.S. History: Hakim History of Us, a Biography, Historical Fiction, Written Narration, Book of Centuries

World History: SOTW or K12 Human Odyssey, maybe Biography and Historical Fiction

Latin: Latin Alive 1 (possibly w/WHA)

Spanish: I am thinking about using Homeschool Spanish Academy because otherwise it won’t happen

Russian:possibly w/dad if she is interested

Logic: Art of Argument

Choir and Art: probably dual enrollment at Middle School

Technology: something not sure what yet

Music: Piano using mostly Piano Marvel

Lots of question marks???!

I have no idea.  There. I said it.  

DD is actually currently touring schools - one last night, one tonight, one tomorrow and one in a couple of weeks.

Selfishly, I really don't want her to go to school.  I had such an unexpected visceral reaction to last night (headache and stomachache all day - just due to anxiety/stress about this), and did not at all enjoy my time spent sitting in little chairs at little desks at the school.  It seems like anathema to everything we've always enjoyed.  She is tempted because a bunch of her non-homeschool friends are suddenly considering going to a school near us for Grade 7 (or more like - their parents are encouraging them to go there to get away from certain other 'friends') and even though they'd be in the French stream and she'd be in the English stream, they would see each for lunch and possibly share the occasional class (band or industrial arts - depends on how the schedule works out).

OK, I needed to get that off my chest. DH is quite enthused about the prospect of the children going to school (aka I can get a full time job instead of a part time one).  DS is distraught at the idea of DD going to school.  He would be separated from her unless she were to choose the K-8 school.  I am obviously not for it but I am trying really hard not to bias things because I do feel that at this point she has a solid academic foundation and she is not making this decision lightly - she is really thinking about it and considering it and all the ramifications.

So, all this to say that I have not thought about grade 7 much because I don't know if it will happen.  But if it did...

Math - we are probably going to start on Jousting Armadilloes sometime in the spring - not sure how far we will get - we might continue with the next one Crocodiles and Coconuts.  We might try Mathematics: A Human Endeavour.  We might go the AOPS Pre-algebra route.  I have so many thoughts on this.  We might do all of them because I have a terrible tendency to do that.

Science - not a clue.  No idea.  They have just started doing self-directed Science in the mornings which is actually going well so far.  I might continue with that and then do a chemistry unit and a physics unit as we have done a lot of biology so far (plants, animals, human anatomy & physiology, evolution).  No idea what I'd use for those.

History - might continue with History of Canada depending on how far we get this year - we are starting sometime in the next 3 weeks.  Again, with what?  Right now we are using the Dear Canada diary series to work through key events.  Also going to do a unit on history of Canada from an aboriginal perspective.

English (grammar/writing - we finished spelling about 3 years ago) - Might continue with Bravewriter or MCT - depends on how far we get and what's next.  Also looking at Kilgallon.  She'll do Nanowrimo again.  

Lit - I think this year we'll actually start doing formal lit studies - I'm looking into LitWits or Glencoe or ???

Geography - The Geography Book or maybe just assigned reading (I'm reading Prisoners of Geography now and might use parts of that ).

She will continue with swimming, Pathfinders, choir I think.  I'm thinking I might have her join the gym and come with me in the mornings to exercise (run, swim, lift weights).

My oldest is also going into seventh.  Oh, my poor guinea pig...I have no clue what I'm doing.  LOL

Math: Saxon 87

LA: WWS 2, GftWTM (hope they have book 2 out!), mom-made lit list OR LLfLOTR

Science: Rainbow Science? ACS Middle School Chemistry?  I have no clue yet.

History: Early Modern History with K12 Human Odyssey, KHE, and whatever else I pull in

Logic: The Art of Argument?  

Latin: Finish Latin Prep 2 and move into 3

Music: Piano lessons

PE: Not sure anything.  She hates stuff like that.

Enrichment via non-academic Co-op

• Like 2

Still gleaning inspiration but so far ...

Saxon Math 87 or maybe AoPS Pre Algebra which we will trial this summer
Spelling Workout G
Sonlight G, world history, literature & LA
Apologia General Science
Henle Visual Latin Greek
Piano with tutor
Spanish

... he draws and is always working on that. There may be some classes next year, also. He is hoping for a public speaking class. (probably no outside classes next year besides the art classes within walking distance of home)

Thinking ....

ELA:  Saxon Grammar, Jump In, WWS, Prentice Hall Literature 

History:  SOTW 4    

Math:  Lial Pre-algebra + either Lial Algebra or Discovering Geometry w/ Patty Paper Geometry    

Science:  parts of CPO Life Science and CPO Physical Science with additional labs from Exploration Education (interest driven).   

Spanish:  Destinos

PE:  Soccer, soccer, and more soccer

Other:  Coding/ robotics, baking, painting, reading, and volunteering.   

This is what I'm leaning towards so far:

Language Arts

Analytical Grammar, Season 2

Figuratively Speaking

Jump In, what we don't finish this year OR Essentials in Writing 7 (also considering IEW SWI B with the 5th grader)

Mosdos Jade or Lightning Lit 7

R&S Spelling 7

Vocab from Classical Roots, Level A

Technology

Typing from http://typingclub.com

Computer technology basics from http://www.gcflearnfree.org/topics/

Possibly some coding, if she's interested

Math

Christian Light Math 7...or prealgebra, possibly Lial's  sticking with what's working!

Science

Finish Apologia Anatomy, then move into a botany study using a variety of resources

History/Geography

Uncle Sam and You

Draw Africa and Draw Europe Drawing Around the World: Europe, as well as Sheppard Software games

Bible

Bible Road Trip, Year 2 

something for personal devotions

Art

no clue yet!

Extras

Co-op

Choir

Piano/voice lessons

Possibly tennis or swimming, if I can talk her into one

Edited by lanabug

oh, I have one of these! 

Math: continuing Harold Jacob's algebra (this is the third kid in a row where I've given up finding a pre-algebra that works well and just used Jacobs as a 2 year algebra course instead)

LA: Writing with Skill/Grammar for the WTM, Bravewriter for literature

Science: oops, no idea--I'd better get on that

History: world history with his older brother--probably a combo of Big History Project, Crash Course videos, and assigned reading

Piano and drama lessons, community theater

Spanish class

Language Arts:

Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

Classical Academic Press: Writing and Rhetoric 7-8

Vocabulary from Latin and Greek Roots 7

Grammar for the WTM Purple

Math

Lial, probably Prealgebra. He's doing BCM this year and I think he needs another year before Algebra.

Science:

Elemental Science Chemistry for the Logic Stage

History:

History is my thing. We do a combo of TOG (*heavily* edited; year 3 next year), Human Odyssey, American Odyssey, and the 8th grade state history book for our state along with other random stuff I pull in.

Other:

Lively Latin Book 2, Part 2

Critical Thinking Company Building Thinking Skills Level 3

Critical Thinking Company Mind Benders Book 6

Artistic Pursuits Grades 7-8 Book 1

Boy Scouts

Track

Science Olympiad

Edited by Kathryn

We are moving this summer, so I have no idea what may be available to us for extra curricular or physical activities. That helps me just focus on the academics right now.

R&S English 7

CLE Math 700 & possibly parts of 800

IEW SWICC B

Finish Apples & Pears Spelling

SL H - history part only

SL Science F

Fallacy Detective

MP First Form Latin

MP Lit Guides for The Hobbit, Anne of Green Gables & The Bronze Bow

MP Geography II

MP Christian Studies IV

Some kind of typing program

Read alouds with the family

Not sure about art, music, and some kind of personal devotion resource. We've been moving so often that learning an instrument has fallen by the wayside. Hoping this year that changes!

I don't know why I'm overthinking 7th grade!! My last 7th grader. ?  Makes me a bit sad. 

I have TONS of ideas... just starting to narrow things down and trying to get ds's opinion. 

I'm hoping to either teach a book club/themed poetry teatime and/or science class for middle schoolers. We have actually named our reading group:  Reading Cafè with Treats, Teas, & Tales.... I will be incorporating Annotating Literary Elements to our BW Arrow/Pouch of Arrow selections, themed poetry once a month, short stories thrown in, and LOTS of fun activities, and treats, to ignite the love of reading! I will have a Facebook Page hopefully by the end of summer if anyone is interested in checking it out.

This may change a billion times before summer!

Math:  Keep on with CLE, finish 600, then start 700 or Mr. D Pre-Algebra or TT Pre-Alg b/c it's on the shelf, or MM Pre-Algebra. Ugh!...the decisions! HELP! He may not get to Pre-Alg until 8th grade... so I'm not going to overthink this.  

History: 2nd half of American History (Notgrass & videos) stretch 15 units to 30 weeks. Alternate with Painless Government. Selected Read Alouds for each Unit. Making a schedule for this so he can work independently. 

Science:  Bookshark 7 Robotics/Technology/Engineering, omitting the Earth Science weeks b/c we took care of that for 6th grade with Oak Meadow. So that leaves 25 weeks. Then we may add in some Biology topics for 8-10 weeks.  Decided to go with RSO Level 2 Biology

Writing:  IEW Theme book: Rockets, Radar, & Robiotics Tech-Based Writing OR Jump In...still researching this. Journal:  BW Free Write Fridays.

Grammar:  Grammar through literature and Fix It Robin Hood or Word Study (RiL)

Vocabulary:  WordBuild free online or looking into RiL Rita Cevasco's Word Study Curriculum which incorporates spelling, vocabulary, and grammar.

Literature: Reading Cafè with Treats, Teas, & Tales:  From the Mixed-Up Files....., Holes, A Long Way from Chicago, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, The Shakespeare Stealer, Love That Dog. Short stories and poetry, too. 

Logic:  Fallacy Detective

Continue Boys Health... boot camp exercises with Dad.

I may sign him up for 1 or 2 classes online with Outschool or Coding on FundaFunda Acad. Just noticed this link to free computer basics from poster above: https://www.gcflearnfree.org/topics/  (Have I mentioned how much I love this Forum?!)

Ongoing Project:  He and his dad are converting a schoolbus into a teen hangout and building an outhouse right outside of it.

I feel very behind with this this year.  I think we will not be doing the next thing in a lot of subjects which is throwing me off.

Grammar: R&S 7 (the next thing)

Math: Lifepac Geometry (dreading teaching geometry)

Writing: finish Jump In

Science: The Rainbow Science (I think)

History: Sonlight F

Spelling:  Spelling Work Out G

Foreign Language: Duolingo Spanish and French (if she wants)

Latin:  unsure

Vocab: ?

Logic:?

Extras: Ballet, book club, piano (Hoffman Acadamy) GEMS, cooking club

Edited by chicagoshannon

Well I feel like we really need to ramp up a few things going into a Junior High mode! I am struggling to make decisions on a few things with this one, even though she’s been the easy one so far in that regard.

Bible/History/Literature—a mish mash of Biblioplan Medieval moving on to Early Modern, and using up some MP lit guides she didn’t finish this year (she did a few from 7th already, so I may be making her read one or two from this year), along with book recommendations from Sonlight and AO. We definitely don’t stay on track for history in 4 years, so my original plan to start over in high school may not work out for her.

Latin: Second Form Latin online with MPOA. Such great courses!

Writing: I haven’t decided if I will put her in MPOA Cheria/Maxim or try to teach it myself. I also like to the freedom of altered writing assignments, and use Bravewriter philosophy at times throughout the year.

Science—this is a huge ???? My thoughts are all over the place. I’m looking at BJU, God’s Design for Science, Novare, Real Science for Kids, and Elemental Science. Like I said, I am all over the place! Someone should just make this decision for me.

Math—Finish Math Mammoth 7 and RS Geometry

Grammar—combination of EGR by MP, Core Skills LA, and my own crazy rabbit trails.

Spelling—not sure we will finish what she started this year or skip it. She is a natural speller.

She is also taking ballet, piano, and shoots archery competitively, so we may ramp up archery as she is looking at some junior olympics tryouts next year.

Edited by mamamoose

I have a kid who I have always promoted in January, but this year, we're giving her a half year stretch, so she'll start 7th in the fall.

Math: She just started Russian Math 6, but I think I might weave in a day each week of other things (Zaccaro, hands-on geo, maybe some Crossing the River with dogs).

History: Kingfisher/Human Odyssey (rest of book 2 and some of book 3) a la History Odyssey method without using their actual plans. She has enjoyed it the past two years, so we won't mess with a good thing.

Lit: ?
Writing: Coram Deo Tutorials Lost Tools of Writing 1. She loves the teacher and class for Intro to Essay, so while it isn't perfect, I won't mess with the love.

Science: ??

Logic: Plan to do Art of Argument second semester with a small group. Usually do The Fallacy Detective before that, so maybe that for first semester.

She's doing First Form Latin right now, but isn't a big fan, so I don't know what we'll do for foreign language yet.

If dmmetler's daughter is doing the reptile class again in the fall, I'll probably sign her up again. She would love that.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

Grammar: Rod and Staff 8 (first half)

Literature: Wind in the Willows, Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, As You Like It with MP guides, plus American Poetry and Short Stories

Writing: Classical Composition Refutation & Confirmation

Latin: Fourth Form Latin

Greek: First Form Greek

Math: College of the Redwoods Pre-Algebra

Geography: MP Geography III

History: Mill's Book of the Ancient World and Book of the Ancient Greeks, Illiad and Odyssey (with MP guides)

Science: ?  I don't know.  Why is this always the hard one?  Maybe MP Book of Trees or Nature's Beautiful Order, or maybe Apologia General Science.

DD 7th (ETA some refinement :) )This is the plan if her brothers are all in school. If that doesn't pan out I'll drop Latin and do family style history/geography/science with her 9yo brother. The older two are going to be in a brick & mortar school.

*MUS Pre-Algebra

*R&S English 6

*Visual Latin 

*Writing & Literature: Looking at Essentials in Writing and Lit. 

*Sonlight Core F 

*Sonlight Science F

*CM extras (art, music, Shakespeare, poetry)

*Community theater, horses, soccer, cooking

Edited by abrightmom

7th grade is overwhelming me a bit. :/

LA: R&S7 Grammar, Mosdos Press, Wordly Wise old version, WWS2

Math: Jacob's Algebra

Science: ?? Not sure yet. Maybe RSO Bio 2. She wanted Botany too so maybe MP Trees or Ellen J. McHenry's Botany w/ Quark Chronicles. Maybe the Jr. Naturalist books at our local nature center. Maybe some Environ. Science...

History: HO3; then American History for the rest of the year

Also, some Japanese, typing practice, writing across curriculum, some art/music whenever she wants it, a ton of volunteering and Girl Scouts.

• Like 1

Spelling: We may continue with Spelling You See...... he would be in Book G. Has anyone used that one? Is it any different from F, as far as the setup goes? We may just scrap spelling all together and just correct it in his writing. He doesn't struggle in this area.

My 6th grader is using level G this year. It is set up a little differently. The marking system is different. They mark base words, suffixes, prefixes and compound words instead of letter chunks.

• Like 1

These threads are always helpful to me!

Language Arts:  MOSDOS literature, Practical Spelling, Easy Grammar Plus (break from Rod and staff/CLE), Essentials in Writing 7

Latin:  Finish Lively Latin Big Book 2

CLE Algebra 1

Logic:  The Thinking Toolbox and How to Read a Book

Science:  Tiner's Exploring Planet Earth and Tiner's  Exploring the World of Chemistry

Nature/Science books:  Eric Sloan's Weather Book, Phineas Gage:  A Gruesome Story about Brain Science, Rocks, Rivers and the Changing Earth

History:  Notgrass From Adam to Us World History, including literature

Geography:  The Brendan Voyage, How the Heather Looks

Edited by lorisuewho
  • Like 1

Math - CLE

Language arts - Voyages in English for grammar and writing, All About Spelling and Megawords for Spelling.

Literature - Mosdos Jade

Science - CPO Physics

History - Human Odyssey K12 with extra books and projects added in

Homeschool Gymnastics

Maybe Visual Latin.

Continue with mama-made German.

Reading list from Mensa Kids Reading Excellence and WTM, Build Your Library, Bookshark, etc.

Not sure what to use for art, Bible, geography or vocabulary yet. Would also like to add in some mini units like about economics and government.

• Like 1

Can't believe #4 is in 7th!  Pretty sure this is the plan:

Keyboarding: TypingClub.com

Spelling: Natural Speller

Grammar: Rod & Staff 7

Writing: second have of WWS Level 1 & Killgallon Paragraph--He has REALLY enjoyed and learned so much from sentence

composing!

Vocabulary: Vocab. from Classical Roots book A

Literature: he is a voracious reader so I'm still picking all the titles but will be pulled from early modern history

Math: Chalkdust PreAlgebra

Science: RS4K building blocks / probably join younger bro when he does Mystery Science because they love it so much

History:  crash course US History and some from world history, Human Odyssey, History Odyssey, books from the library...I can't give him too much for history...he's already watched all of CC for fun in his spare time.

Tech: Alice and EV3 projects with his bro

Language: Latin for Children book B

Fine Arts Co-op: band & clarinet, choir, art class

I really enjoy seeing other posts and getting new ideas and also reminders of curriculum we've enjoyed in the past.

• 1 month later...

He's my first 7th grader, and this is a rough idea, but...

BYL 7 (group subject, sort of. We're also doing BYL 0 since they're both world geography so the others will do a mix of them)

History: SOTW 3 Early Modern (group subject) + extras

Science: Mr. Q (group subject) + extras + Mystery Science if he wants to tag along

Math: MM 7

Language Arts:

Fix It (currently book 2), if he isn't finished by the end of this school year, he'll finish that and then we might try Editor in Chief for a break

Sequential Spelling (currently book 3, will just continue)

Vocabulary from Classical Roots (whichever book he's at)

Figuratively Speaking

Canadian Handwriting (I can't remember which book he's on)

Writing & Rhetoric (whichever book he's at - we're behind on this)

French: Some mix of Getting Started with French, CAP's French for Children A, and DuoLingo. We're so behind on this.

I'm still trying to figure out fine arts, typing, logic... I'd like to add in some Canadian history (and geography) because it's been a while and we've never finished it, and it's still a few years before he'll do it again. I'm working on a reading list because I think I may sub out some from BYL 7. This is our first year with funding, so I can pretty much go nuts with curriculum so we'll see what I end up with.

• Like 1

LA: R&S 6, Writing with Skill 2, and maybe Word Wealth Jr.

Math: Algebra - I was trying to decide between Lial, AoPS, and Foerester since I own all of them. But the thread on the Logic board has me thinking Jacob's would be perfect for this kid, so I'm undecided...

Science: Tiner's Exploring the World of Physics and Mchenry's Elements

History and Lit: ToG Year 1

Latin: Visual Latin 1 + Latin Prep 1

Extras: piano, guitar, swimming, and possibly 4h

On 2018-02-06 at 2:31 PM, Above The Rowan said:

I can't believe my oldest is going into 7th grade. When the heck did this happen?!

He's not very schoolish or academic. His overall, general lack of enthusiasm about school has been a bit of a sticky-point for us this year. He likes what we're doing, but he's not super excited about anything either. But...12 year olds, right? He wants to learn, just...this year he doesn't want to do any WORK to do the learning. Sigh. That's a topic for a whole other thread lol.

Anyway, so far this is what we've got in mind. Nothing set in stone yet, we're about to start up a few new things for the second half of this year so much of that will probably still be used at the start of next year.

Math: Jousting Armadillos or AoPS Pre-Algebra

Science:

Option 1: Physics. Probably from Elemental Science (Logic Stage Physics) It's not secular enough for us, usually, but it looks good enough and looks like it'll get done.

Option 2: RSO's Earth Science Level 2, if it's released in time.

Lang.Arts:

Well-Ordered Language,

Brave Writer Boomerangs (probably),

BW's Faltering Ownership (maybe).

Lit: TBD, he loves to read but the second he senses that a book is a "school reading book", he is NOT interested. Ugh.

History: We've been really enjoying K12s Human Odyssey Book Two this year, and will probably still be working from that. Barring anything else catching my eye in the meantime, we'll probably just carry into Book Three.

Also:

Latin Alive (we're starting it here soon, so he'll probably be finishing up Book 1 in the first part of next school year).

Joy Hakim's Story of Science Series.

Philosophy (we're slowly working through Sophie's World. it's tough but he loves it!)

Other things TBD lol.

Quoting myself lol

So, we've made a big change in our plans. I got my hands on a copy of Build Your Library Level 8 (history of science). My son and I were so excited about the booklist that we high fived and went all-in and decided to start ordering the books, and we'll use this for him next year. 

In addition to BYL8, he'll be doing:

Latin

Math (TT Pre-algebra right now, then he wants to do AoPS pre-algebra next year since he'll only be in 7th grade) to firm everything up before Alg 1. 

Composition (I don't know what we'll use, we ordered Classical Writing Homer but while I love it, I don't like how complicated they've made it to implement) - maybe WWS1, or just stick with the writing assignments as assigned in BYL. 

I'm also thinking I might add the philosophy , citizenship, and 'the feast' recommendations from the new Ursa Minor Year 7 booklist. Actually, there's a reasonably chance we may scrap things AGAIN (thank god its only April and we dont start til August lol) and just use Ursa Minor Year 7 straight up as written. Who knows? 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 5:07 PM, Runningmom80 said:

I keep waiting for a plan to just come to me, like I can will it into existence.  It's not working yet. 

Ok, I have fleshed some stuff out.

I bought BYL level 8 last year to use but we ended up doing Big History Project instead.  It's been great but now BYL is calling my name again. (Mostly because Above the Rowan posted about it on instagram. lol)

Ok, onto our very tentative plan:

• Math: Geometry (after he completes Jacobs Algebra. I expect him to be 2/3 of the way done by June) I have no idea what Geometry we will use but I think we need a tutor or an online class
  • Spanish: HSA 
  • Grammar: MCT Voyage
  • Writing: Bravewriter classes
  • Lit: Lord of the Rings class at G3 and possibly BYL lit & Readers
  • Science: Chemistry with MEL kits for semester 1 and Physics for semester 2
  • History: Story of Science

I think that's it!  We are house hunting so I'm not buying any books until we move and that means I'll probably change this plan 100 times.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2018 at 9:45 PM, Lisa in the UP of MI said:

Math: Pre-algebra, using the rest of Singapore 6, Jousting Armadillos, and something to review arithmetic

Writing/Grammar: ??

Spelling: AAS 7

Science: Life Science with Science Explorer and labs

History/Literature: continue our work through AO with 5th grade sister, hopefully the end of year 3 through year 4

Religion: Bible History, Catechism, and saints

Spanish

Logic puzzle books of some kind

Still planning!  A few changes:

Instead of history, we'll be focusing on geography next year with BYL year 7.  I'm still working on writing and grammar, and considering other options for pre-algebra and life science.

We don't follow a traditional school calendar. We do more of a year-round schedule where we're school focused for 3-4 months and then take a month off. We prefer shorter school days (~3 hours), even if it means more school days. This frees up lots of time for extracurricular activities, volunteering, and hanging out with friends. Also, I'm old and need a daily nap LOL.

Fall 2018
Analytical Grammar Review & Reinforcement
Writing & Rhetoric Book 7
Math-U-See Pre-Algebra
History (Middle Ages) - Didache's History of the Church with TAN's Story of Civilizations 2
* Elective of my choice: Faith & Life 7

Spring 2019 
Analytical Grammar Season 3
Writing & Rhetoric Book 8
Math-U-See Pre-Algebra (continued)
Literature (Middle Ages) - still fleshing this out, but at least Dream of the Rood + 1-2 Shakespeare
* Elective of her choice: MP's Poetry, Prose & Drama Book 1 (used very loosely, mostly to guide our discussion)

Summer (June - July 2019)
Elemental Science: Biology for the Logic Stage 
Art of Argument

Extra Activities (September - May)
3 mornings per week - 2 hour boxing class
1 morning per week - 1.5 hours volunteering at public library assisting with preschool and toddler story times
1 afternoon per week - 1 hour performance class (singing, acting, dancing)

• Like 2

On 2/20/2018 at 10:54 PM, RootAnn said:

I see my post from almost two months ago and I really don't have any more of a clue now than I did then, but I'm glad to see others chiming in. 

I will add: When she gets done with Russian Math 6, I'll start her on Dolciani Algebra. (Way different sort of learner than her big sister who is using Jacobs Algebra this year.) Also, I'm leaning toward enrolling her in Lukeion's Latin 1. Not sure if that's a mistake or not. I figure I might give it a try . . . .

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s a tenative plan

English

Grammar: Grammar Bytes Twitter feed, Analytical Grammar Review & Reinforcement

Vocabulary: Sadlier Oxford

Spelling: All About Spelling & Anki spelling review deck

Literature: various novels to be determined, pulling ideas from Teaching the Classics and Lost Tools of Writing

Composition: my own wild and crazy thing, pulling ideas from too many sources to list

Math

pre-Algebra (Dolciani)

math review flashcards in Anki

Social Studies

Light to the Nations 1, online with Kolbe.

Science

So You Really Want to Learn Science 2, or maybe something totally different

Monthly classes w/ labs at the local science museum

Foreign Language - Spanish

I am hoping a local homeschooling mom will teach a homeschool class using tprs resources. (https://tprsbooks.com/)

I am also considering Homeschool Spanish Academy.

Misc.

Religion - Faith & Life 7 & Activity book

Ballet!

Homeschool co-op

On February 4, 2018 at 5:46 PM, alisoncooks said:

I've been thinking on this for a few weeks. I've narrowed it down to:

Essentials in Writing 7  Still may use EiW, but DD has taken an interest in Cover Story (but oh, the $$$!) so I'm waffling.

Essentials in Literature 7

Apples & Pears - finish the program

American history 2 (modern) - very informal and interest-led Now I'm thinking Notgrass Uncle Sam. Maybe.

Pre-algebra - either Chalkdust (which I already have) or Mr. D (which I'm tempted by) 

Apologia General Science... but I'm still considering The Rainbow

I tell ya, I'm starting to feel the pain ($$ wise) with these older kid classes.