Menu

Food for friends with the flu

MrsRobinson

Some friends of ours that we are very close with have all come down with the flu. I feel really bad for them. That happened to us a few years ago and neither me or my dh had energy to make food and while everyone had subpar appetites, I think we would have recovered better if we had been eating better.

So, I'd like to drop off (and run as fast as I can!! 😷😰) some good food they'd be likely to eat and that would be good for them. Even better if its frozen and they can take it out when its convienent for them.

I was thinking good bone broth chicken soup (frozen), homemade bread (frozen), cut up fresh fruit, smoothies (frozen in cubes, maybe?) and then I'm out of ideas.

I'd like another whole meals worth of food. Ideas please! ...and thank you :)

You are so sweet. My DH and I, plus both kids, had Flu A, B, and strep all at once one year. It was bad but we survived (two of us ended up in hospital, but we managed). Then, a month later, oh my, DH came home from Germany with a European Flu strain. 49 people were out at his office. It was awful. We all got it, and wow, did it kick American Flu’s butt. Holy cow. I thought we were dying. We had zero immunity, I guess. My mom came and stayed in a hotel, and brought us meals. She did the ding dong dash. :) DH and I are still grateful!

You are a great friend.

Maybe take them juices, and drinks they will like, and even popsicles? I like the cut up fruit idea a lot.

Honestly, they might just want more chicken soup.

I crave mac and cheese when sick, but dairy isn’t good so that might not be the best bet.

Mainly I wanted to say what a good friend you are.

• Like 5

Depending on what stage they are in, I might still go for some of the lighter sick food.  Jello, popsicles, applesauce, we likes those little Lipton Cup of soup things when real chicken soup isn't available, apple juice, crackers, sprite or gingerale.

But otherwise I think your homemade soup and fruit ideas are great.  I really wasn't up for more than that for quite a few days but I really needed to push the hydrating things.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 3

You are so sweet. My DH and I, plus both kids, had Flu A, B, and strep all at once one year. It was bad but we survived (two of us ended up in hospital, but we managed). Then, a month later, oh my, DH came home from Germany with a European Flu strain. 49 people were out at his office. It was awful. We all got it, and wow, did it kick American Flu’s butt. Holy cow. I thought we were dying. We had zero immunity, I guess. My mom came and stayed in a hotel, and brought us meals. She did the ding dong dash. :) DH and I are still grateful!

Maybe take them juices, and drinks they will like, and even popsicles? I like the cut up fruit idea a lot.

Honestly, they might just want more chicken soup.

I crave mac and cheese when sick, but dairy isn’t good so that might not be the best bet.

Wow, that sounds rough! Your mom is awesome for doing that for you guys.

Honestly, I'm not that great. Its just that this is the 4th terrible thing that has happened to them recently, I of course can't give details, but when I heard that now they are all sick with the flu, I was immediately thinking, "I've GOT to take them some food. I'm souless if I don't." :lol:

Juices and popsicles are great ideas! I'm adding that to my list. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

For our friends with the flu, I took chicken soup, fresh fruit (cleaned already - blackberries and grapes), and some crackers. 

Basically we drove up, left it on a bag on the front porch, drove away and then texted them it was there. They knew we were headed over to deliver it, but if you are sick, I do a drive-by delivery. I want to support you, but I don't want to get sick!

• Like 1

In addition to what you are planning, what about drinks like juice, Gatorade, and/or Gingerale to make sure they are staying hydrated. Jello jigglers? Milkshakes? Are they up to eating fresh fruit? That might get wasted if they are not.

Tissues, cough drops, Vick’s might be appreciated if they have run out.

• Like 1

My kids had White grape juice or apple juice, apple sauce pouches, granola bars, fruit, those dissolvable baby food puffs (we had some leftover from one girl needed soft foods), muffins and hard boiled eggs after they were eating more.

Maybe a package of paper bowls and cups to deliver food to sick ones without having to do dishes.

• Like 1