Menu

Creekland, I found it! Okinawans versus Adventists

Greta

I don't even remember now which thread we were discussing the life expectancy of people in Okinawa compared to the Seventh Day Adventists, so I thought I would just start a new one.  I was encouraged to discover that I didn't just dream it up or imagine it after all, because I'm not entirely confident in my memory and my mental health!  :lol:  

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-okinawa-diet-living-to-100/

Just below the video, you'll see "Sources Cited" where you can find the studies he refers to in the video.

Anyway, just thought I would share it with you, since I was surprised to have re-discovered it!   :001_smile:

• Like 4

The study of Blue Zones, people groups with higher than average numbers of centenarians, includes 7th Day Adventists, Okinawans, and several other people groups around the world.  https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Zones-Second-Lessons-Longest/dp/1426209487/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517510022&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+zones+by+dan+buettner

• Like 1

The study of Blue Zones, people groups with higher than average numbers of centenarians, includes 7th Day Adventists, Okinawans, and several other people groups around the world.  https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Zones-Second-Lessons-Longest/dp/1426209487/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517510022&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+zones+by+dan+buettner

I'm in the process of listening to that audiobook right now.  Fascinating stuff!

I don't even remember now which thread we were discussing the life expectancy of people in Okinawa compared to the Seventh Day Adventists, so I thought I would just start a new one.  I was encouraged to discover that I didn't just dream it up or imagine it after all, because I'm not entirely confident in my memory and my mental health!   :lol:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-okinawa-diet-living-to-100/

Just below the video, you'll see "Sources Cited" where you can find the studies he refers to in the video.

Anyway, just thought I would share it with you, since I was surprised to have re-discovered it!   :001_smile:

Ah, wish I'd seen this thread a couple of days earlier (not that it was posted two days ago, but if it had been...).  I was killing time in a motel (aka with WIFI) then and could have watched a video.  Now we're camping and on our limited data, so videos are out.  But by posting on here it makes it somewhat easier for me to find again in the future, so at some point, I should remember to watch it.  I'm really curious!

In general, I enjoy anything Blue Zones related and we've changed a bit of our lifestyle to match.  It might not do one iota for living longer, but we like the foods and the lifestyle so anything else is a bonus.  ;)

• Like 1

I was raised SDA, and I don’t know if they talk about it in the book, but usually when people mention SDAs and Blue Zones, they are talking about diet. I believe while diet is part of their longevity, their Sabbath-keeping habits play a big role as well.

Keeping Sabbath from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday and emphasizing rest, fellowship, and family during that time makes for a nice break every week. In addition, the particular demands of keeping Sabbath mean that close communities are formed. SDAs stick together because they don’t do anything secular during that time every week. It might not sound like a big deal but it ends up being quite counter cultural in practice. The mental rest and the social support that are byproducts of their form of Sabbath keeping, combined with an emphasis on health and a vegetarian diet are bound to have good results.

• Like 9

More than diet is covered in the Blue Zone book. It's a look at lifestyle and culture as a whole.

I agree.  Diet is actually just one part of the whole.  Activity, mental challenge, staying socially active, and similar are equally as important.  We did many of the things naturally and are now tweaking others.  They're things we like anyway, so it's definitely not anything we feel we "have" to do.  It's natural and feels good.  It might be different for others.

• Like 1

I was raised SDA, and I don’t know if they talk about it in the book, but usually when people mention SDAs and Blue Zones, they are talking about diet. I believe while diet is part of their longevity, their Sabbath-keeping habits play a big role as well.

Keeping Sabbath from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday and emphasizing rest, fellowship, and family during that time makes for a nice break every week. In addition, the particular demands of keeping Sabbath mean that close communities are formed. SDAs stick together because they don’t do anything secular during that time every week. It might not sound like a big deal but it ends up being quite counter cultural in practice. The mental rest and the social support that are byproducts of their form of Sabbath keeping, combined with an emphasis on health and a vegetarian diet are bound to have good results.

We're not SDA, but we opted to keep Sundays work free as much as we could (meaning we weren't Pharisaical about it) and our whole family loved it.  It's just plain nice getting a break from feeling we "have" to do something.

Then too, when our kids were of the age when we could do things with them, we opted to take a Family Day during the week (homeschooling and hubby working for himself allowed this).  We turned Saturday into a work/school day and took Tuesday off to enjoy things together - hiking, geocaching, playing family games, watching movies, going somewhere like a museum or zoo - whatever.  Each week we chose what we wanted to do together that day.  Even when the lads were in soccer, practice was on Tuesday (hubby coached).  That's one decision we don't regret at all too.  It was a blast.  We had Tuesdays together doing things with each other - whatever we wanted - and Sundays with no work expected beyond basic critter chores (they have to eat!).

The really nice thing now is my boys are grown - last one graduates college this May - and they've told us how much they appreciated what we did even though they didn't realize what was going on until much later - mainly once they met oodles of other kids in college.  I don't know if they'll be able to choose the same things for their own families, but it's nice to hear they appreciated what we chose to do raising our guys.

I don't know that any of it will lead to a longer life, but it sure led to a fun one with tons of reminiscing now.  We don't feel we missed the time they were growing up.  It went by quickly, but we enjoyed as much of it as we could.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 2

Ah, wish I'd seen this thread a couple of days earlier (not that it was posted two days ago, but if it had been...).  I was killing time in a motel (aka with WIFI) then and could have watched a video.  Now we're camping and on our limited data, so videos are out.  But by posting on here it makes it somewhat easier for me to find again in the future, so at some point, I should remember to watch it.  I'm really curious!

There is a "view transcript" option below the video, if you'd like to go ahead and read it now.  Hope you're enjoying your camping!

In general, I enjoy anything Blue Zones related and we've changed a bit of our lifestyle to match.  It might not do one iota for living longer, but we like the foods and the lifestyle so anything else is a bonus.   ;)

I don't know that any of it will lead to a longer life, but it sure led to a fun one with tons of reminiscing now.  

It seems to me that the things which increase quantity of life, also increase quality of life.  

• Like 1

Thrive is a good follow up to the Blue Zones book.  It has a lot to say about community. The issues are related, but it's really more about quality of life than longevity. https://www.amazon.com/Thrive-Finding-Happiness-Blue-Zones/dp/1426208189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517703366&sr=8-1&keywords=thrive+finding+happiness+the+blue+zone+way

• Like 1