Menu

What's with the ads?

angelaguptathomas

Loss of facial fullness looking haggard-prevention?

My mom has always looked young for her age. Same with my grandmother. They both tell me that it is all about washing and moisturizing the face daily preferably twice a day. I have started doing this and I am noticing an improvement in fine lines and such. However if I skip a day, it goes back. So you really need to do it twice a day everyday. 

• Like 1

Back when I was in nursing school I worked in a bunch of different nursing homes.  I noticed all the women in their 90's and 100's that looked more than 20 years younger used Oil of Olay.  I've upgraded from the original lotion to the Regenerist Cream, but I've noticed when I use a different product I start looking much older in a few weeks.

Tongue firmly in cheek- I suggest gaining weight :)

The quote most often attributed to Zsa Zsa Gabor, "As a woman you have to choose between your fanny and your face.  I chose my face."

It's a fine line 

Amber in SJ

• Like 26

The quote most often attributed to Zsa Zsa Gabor, "As a woman you have to choose between your fanny and your face.  I chose my face."

It's a fine line 

Amber in SJ

Hah that is funny.  It does seem that with Hollywood actresses, many lose weight as they get a bit older and it really does make their faces look older.

It might be hard to manage though for someone who is naturally lean.

The quote most often attributed to Zsa Zsa Gabor, "As a woman you have to choose between your fanny and your face. I chose my face."

It's a fine line

Amber in SJ

I would agree with this. I am 50 and it seems whenever women my age lose quite a bit of weight, they may look trim, but they also look old. Their faces do look haggard and I especially notice it in their neck.
  • Like 4

The quote most often attributed to Zsa Zsa Gabor, "As a woman you have to choose between your fanny and your face. I chose my face."

It's a fine line

Amber in SJ

It’s so true! My grandmother was always plump but had the most beautiful, baby soft skin. Her face had hardly any wrinkles except a little crepiness by her eyes and obvious the standard neck rings and hand wrinkles. But she looked MUCH younger than she was. My mom does too.

Facial yoga!! Also helps the neck. You can't replace the collagen without surgery (ok well,cremes) but you can work your facial muscles to strengthen and tighten! :)

Interesting! Never heard of this before but it really makes sense for this to be a thing.

• Like 1

I think that you have to take care of both the "inside" and the "outside" of your skin.  What I mean by "inside" is the collagen that underlies the skin.  From what I've read the best way to take good care of that is to eat lots of antioxidants and phytonutrients (fruits and veggies, not pills and supplements) and avoid smoking and other oxidative stress.  Then as far as taking care of the outside of the skin, there's this.  

• Like 1

I've also heard of the face yoga method, and it makes a lot of sense. Some of it, I think, is pure genetics. The women in my family tend to look quite young, but none of them have similar routines. 

• Like 2

I would agree with this. I am 50 and it seems whenever women my age lose quite a bit of weight, they may look trim, but they also look old. Their faces do look haggard and I especially notice it in their neck.

So true! I lost quite a bit of weight after 50 and my dh says I'm starting to look like Skeletor. I'm not even close to being too thin however the extra skin dragging down my face is unattractive to say the least.

So true! I lost quite a bit of weight after 50 and my dh says I'm starting to look like Skeletor. I'm not even close to being too thin however the extra skin dragging down my face is unattractive to say the least.

Rude! 

There is a lady who attends the same weight watchers meeting that I do, and she has the loveliest, softest face. I was shocked when she mentioned that she had turned 65. I'm secretly observing her to see what happens as she loses more weight. 

• Like 1

It's a fine line 

Amber in SJ

So true.  When I see before and after pics of people when they lose weight I'm often struck by how much older they end up looking.  That's NOT something they want to hear, but it's true.

• Like 2

So true.  When I see before and after pics of people when they lose weight I'm often struck by how much older they end up looking.  That's NOT something they want to hear, but it's true.

This is why my goal weight is in the "moderately plump" range rather than in the "skinny minnie" range. :)

• Like 3

This is why my goal weight is in the "moderately plump" range rather than in the "skinny minnie" range. :)

Yeah me too.  I'm already a little disappointed with my face after losing weight, but it could be worse.

My face isn't too too bad.  Probably because I'm a vampire and don't get much sun.  :laugh:

• Like 1

It's something I'm worried about. I'm 43 years old and am losing weight (30 pounds so far - yay!). My ideal weight according to the charts is about 100 - 110 pounds from my starting weight. I am only planning on getting to the highest levels of normal BMI so I don't look haggard. I remember my mom's friends would lose weight when I was young and they always looked so much older. I guess I'm vainer than I originally thought.

• Like 1

There was that model in the 80's and 90's... Andie McDowell?  She was the spokesperson for Loreal Cosmetics and she said that as she became older, she intentionally kept a few pounds on because of the age/sagging factor.  I've kept this in mind all these years.  Last year, I lost about 10 lbs and my body looks leaner and better, but I'm pretty sure that it aged my face a bit.  I sacrificed that for the health benefits, but I definitely noticed it.  

For me, I do not want to lose much weight-  I seem to look best and feel best at a low overweight according to BMI and at prime weight according to SBMI.  In the last year, I saw two ladies a bit older than me die from pneumonias who were both very thin.  Those of us who are heftier have survived pneumonias.   Since some of my particular risks are both alleviated by being slightly if not more than slightly overweight and there are no risks for dying that increase by being slightly overweight, that is what I am choosing to do.  An added feature is that it makes me look better too.

My dermatologist said either gain weight or get filler those are the two ways to help with filling out the face. We all naturally lose fullness in our faces as we age. She said it is more pronounced with thinner people.  My issue under my eyes is compounded by heredity.  I haven't found much of anything makeup wise that really can camouflage because my under eyes are really recessed.