Menu

quick question...menstrual cup and flying

Excelsior! Academy

Um.... how would they know you had the cup on? It’s not like silicone is highly visible on scans or anything.

It’s really NBD. I do like to have a backup pad on so I don’t have to get up and try and empty it while on the flight.

That is my concern. I would be horrified if the cup showed up on the scan and I was taken to another room for further examination.  Fortunately, our flights are fairly short (2ish hours each) and this isn't a heavy day, so I could avoid emptying them for the duration of the flights and possibly the airport.

No, it wouldn’t show up. If it was metal then yes, but I’ve flown more than once with one in and nobody was any the wiser. Just pack backup gear. Trust me on this, contorting to reach under yourself in an airplane bathroom is not awesome.

Metal menstrual cups  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 1

I'm a cupper and I would totally do it.  I would have no concern about it showing up on the scan OR it being difficult to work with while on the plane.  None whatsoever.  I use my cup everywhere and anywhere, and I have a heavy cycle.  

Edited by milovany

I tried it once while flying, and just, no. 

Apparently I am in the minority here, but I can't change them in public.   I've had all sorts of nightmares.  So first of all, a moving tiny gross bathroom is just not a good situation.   I guess you could recreate this situation for practice by finding a porta-potty and having a friend shake it back and forth for you while you are in it  :lol: !

Secondly, I found out later that due to cabin pressure menstrual cups are prone to losing their suction mid-flight.  I got into an argument with the flight attendant because I HAD to go to use the bathroom very suddenly and we weren't supposed to at that moment.   It was not fun.   It's not a time you want something like that to happen.  

At the very least I would wear a heavy pad back-up.   Which just sort of negates the whole point of a menstrual cup...

YMMV.