Menu

don't procrastinate on your taxes

SparklyUnicorn

Our HSA account just mailed us a notice that our needed tax form won't be issued until APRIL.  We can get the information from other places, but how is that even legal?  It's not like they need new information, they just need to tell their software to print the forms.  I don't get it.

1. Don't have everything I need

2. Due to the complexity and newness of our situation, I have to pay someone to do ours this year.

3. Self employed and while I've been paying quarterly, I'm sure I'll have to pay more. So not in a hurry.

4. Just realized I haven't paid or saved specifically for, state taxes since may so I'm definitely scared.

I'll be in my room pouting if anyone needs me. *Ugly cry*

Our HSA account just mailed us a notice that our needed tax form won't be issued until APRIL.  We can get the information from other places, but how is that even legal?  It's not like they need new information, they just need to tell their software to print the forms.  I don't get it.

What form do you need for HSA?

I have to look into that.

Waiting for one more W2!

I was told I'd get it by the end of February. What the what?! :huh:

I hope that is a mistake.

If you don’t have the W2, you can use the year end information on your paystub.

Employers and those hiring contract workers are required to send out their W2 and 1099 forms by 1/31 this year. I would remind them of that fact.

• Like 1

Waiting for one more W2!

I was told I'd get it by the end of February. What the what?! :huh:

I hope that is a mistake.

I never get everything I need until the end of February. I always figured that the people who could do them in January must have less complicated taxes even if that simply means that they don’t have as many sources of paperwork.

• Like 1

I never get everything I need until the end of February. I always figured that the people who could do them in January must have less complicated taxes even if that simply means that they don’t have as many sources of paperwork.

On the contrary.

Some years I have not gotten stuff that early.  It's all complicated enough though.  I thought they were generally supposed to get stuff to use by the end of January. 

Rats of unusual size?   

:lol: DH and I are rats by the lunar calendar zodiac (https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/chinese-zodiac-signs.html) so there are already two rats in the house (and a monkey and a rooster). I get annoyed at tax time because of all the cost basis calculations even though we upload the data direct to TurboTax but I still double check. The RSUs are sufficient to pay for state universities for both kids if the stock market doesn’t crash in 4 years time so I shouldn’t complain.

Is that only if you have made contributions during the year?  We don't currently have one, but have one from years ago.

What I understand is that it affects you only if there were contributions and/or withdrawals in the year. So you won’t need that form. My husband’s employer contribute yearly because that was the employee health plan we picked.

On the contrary.

Some years I have not gotten stuff that early.  It's all complicated enough though.  I thought they were generally supposed to get stuff to use by the end of January. 

I always thought that too but than somewhere I read that they have to have it MAILED by January 31.  But now I even question that because I've had things show up the end of February and there is no way it took a month to transverse the mail system.  I'm starting to think companies just do whatever they want and we are just stuck waiting for them to get their act together.

• Like 1

I always thought that too but than somewhere I read that they have to have it MAILED by January 31.  But now I even question that because I've had things show up the end of February and there is no way it took a month to transverse the mail system.  I'm starting to think companies just do whatever they want and we are just stuck waiting for them to get their act together.

Yes mailed.  I do recall reading that somewhere.  But then that means you should not be getting stuff in March or April! 

If you don’t have the W2, you can use the year end information on your paystub.

Employers and those hiring contract workers are required to send out their W2 and 1099 forms by 1/31 this year. I would remind them of that fact.

Thanks, ladies. I received my missing W2 today! Whew. 

I'll be doing taxes tonight. Do I know how to party or what?!

• Like 1

Employers have to have W-2s mailed by Jan 31. I'm pretty sure that does not apply to ALL tax forms.

Well yeah, future me might hate present me, but present me doesn't care much about future me sometimes ;)

This is the best quote ever. 

I just did ours. Waiting to file while dh checks one thing with his employer. We’re getting a very nice fat refund so I wanted to do it early. I was waiting for two forms and just got them today so was able to finish it all up.