Menu

ViPKid teachers, where do you work?

mommyoffive

I kind of thought of doing this one day, and then thought I had no place in the house that would work for me to teach.  

But then I saw this and article

http://moneysavingmom.com/2018/01/unexpected-income-source-thanks-money-saving-mom-post.html#comments

And it made me think I need to get out of my box and think more.

So where do you work? 

Does anyone have pictures? 

I teach in my living room, but hope to carve out a better space soon. We have a small 2 bedroom apartment. There are lot of teachers confined to small spaces. It is doable. Hope you find a place that works for you.

If you are interested in pursued VIPKID, there are a lot of Facebook groups dedicated to helping new applicants.

I teach in a corner of my master closet. I put a desk and small shelf in there and hung a banner thing from Hobby Lobby behind me. I moved some of my clothes to the closet of my baby’s room. It’s quiet in there and I can lock the bathroom door if I need to keep the kids out. It’s been perfect. I have no idea how to share pics on here but if you want to send me a private message with your email I could show you my set up.

I’ve been teaching from 4:30-8:30.

Oh and I have a music stand behind me with a magnetic whiteboard on it. I can have rewards and things on that.

Some of the FB groups are really helpful. Some people are so creative. (I’m not at all and my space is kind of boring. But it works and I stay fully booked so I don’t care). Some groups share printables that are great props or rewards. Super helpful!

I teach from my downstairs play/guest/everything and nothing room. I have taught in the bathroom on vacation though. You really don’t need a lot if space. I see that other people put up a trifold board behind themselves as a background. I don’t know how to post a pic on this board.

• Like 1

I teach in a corner of my master closet. I put a desk and small shelf in there and hung a banner thing from Hobby Lobby behind me. I moved some of my clothes to the closet of my baby’s room. It’s quiet in there and I can lock the bathroom door if I need to keep the kids out. It’s been perfect. I have no idea how to share pics on here but if you want to send me a private message with your email I could show you my set up.

I’ve been teaching from 4:30-8:30.

Oh and I have a music stand behind me with a magnetic whiteboard on it. I can have rewards and things on that.

Some of the FB groups are really helpful. Some people are so creative. (I’m not at all and my space is kind of boring. But it works and I stay fully booked so I don’t care). Some groups share printables that are great props or rewards. Super helpful!

I sent you an pm.  

Thanks. 

How do you all deal with the noise? I mean, if you are teaching in the middle of the night or early morning, does your voice not disturb the family when everything else is so quiet? Is everyone used to some noise? I am just thinking how I would deal with this since we have an open plan house.

I teach full-time as a high school English teacher with Florida Virtual School. My office is mostly in my living room, but I am pretty mobile. When I do live lessons, I go in my teen daughter's bedroom, because there is a wall with nothing on it that works as a good background. She is home because we are homeschooling, but she actually likes having the rest of the house to herself for an hour or two. We don't have to decorate our space though. 

Edited by leeannpal

The noise is not a factor for my setup, I’m far away from my family. When I taught on vacation, I was in the ensuite bathroom so I did worry. I didn’t wake anyone up. I am a pretty quiet person though. I speak at a normal volume into a headset mic. I think this will really depend on your own family.

• Like 1

The noise is not a factor for my setup, I’m far away from my family. When I taught on vacation, I was in the ensuite bathroom so I did worry. I didn’t wake anyone up. I am a pretty quiet person though. I speak at a normal volume into a headset mic. I think this will really depend on your own family.

Are you not able to take vacations? 

Yes I can take vacations. There is no minimum hours you have to work, I make my schedule however I want. Last year I already had a vacation planned about 6 weeks after I was hired. I didn’t want to take a week off right when my bookings were taking off and I started getting the hours I wanted. Now I feel comfortable taking a week off for vacation.my regular kiddos would still book me and I have a good rating with plenty of parent feedback.

Yes I can take vacations. There is no minimum hours you have to work, I make my schedule however I want. Last year I already had a vacation planned about 6 weeks after I was hired. I didn’t want to take a week off right when my bookings were taking off and I started getting the hours I wanted. Now I feel comfortable taking a week off for vacation.my regular kiddos would still book me and I have a good rating with plenty of parent feedback.

Good to know you can take vacations.  Thanks. 

I don’t find that I wake people up. I just turn up the volume of my headset. The kids can hear me fine. I know some teachers are super energetic and more loud. I’m just a more quiet/calm person I guess. But if my teaching disturbed my kids then I would put a fan in their room to drown out noise.

And as to the vacation question: you set your own hours and can take off whenever you would like.

You do need to have your schedule set two weeks in advance so you need to do some planning. I just plan ahead and only open slots I know I can teach. You can always open a spot within 24 hours and try to get a short notice booking at the last minute.

So I always keep weekend evenings closed because I want to be available if something comes up. If we have no plans I’ll open up some time slots 24 hours in advance and hope for bookings. But I like knowing my weekends are not already booked in advance in case we want to do something with friends or family.

• Like 1

I teach in a small corner in my guest room. And, like the others have said, you can definitely take vacation. You just don't open your spots. I'm not teaching again until Wednesday due to a trip. 
It's been the best decision I've made. I quit teaching due to a toxic environment and swore I'd never teach again, but randomly saw someone comment on VIPKID. I applied just to check it out and I've been teaching almost a year now. 

How do you all deal with the noise? I mean, if you are teaching in the middle of the night or early morning, does your voice not disturb the family when everything else is so quiet? Is everyone used to some noise? I am just thinking how I would deal with this since we have an open plan house.

My daughter is near my teaching room, so I just move her into my bed. It's also darker in there, so she sleeps longer. I can teach with her in her room, but in case a student and I have too much fun (I can get loud just because I have a voice that tends to carry), I like her in the other room. 

With a good mic, though, you just talk at a normal level and it's no big deal. 

• Like 1