Menu

Peru/South America/Machu Picchu resources

The first book that popped to mind is Death in the Andes (Lituma en los Andes) by Mario Vargas Llosa. It's the story of two policemen trying to solve a missing person case in the mountains during the Shining Path revolt. However, you need to read the summary and review carefully if your ds is sensitive or you curate his media. This would definitely be an R rated movie.

If you need something less violent or sexually graphic, try something like the A Fish in the Water, Vargas Llosa's account of his presidential run or The Guide to the Perfect Latin American Idiot (although, if you pick this one, I'd balance it out with The Open Veins of Latin America).

Or, have him read through The Economist's Americas section archive focusing on Peru. The columnist Bello (a pseudonym like all Economist columnists) does a good job explaining Latin America to non-Latin Americans.

• Like 1

Cool...   He can read about Tourist things on TripAdvisor.com That's THE go-to travel web site. We have neighbors across the street with relatives in Peru.  I think they went to Machu Picchu last year or the year before. The photos are spectacular.  If he knows any Spanish, that's always appreciated by people in Latin America.

• Like 1

OP I found this URL on TripAdvisor. The is where their information about Peru begins:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g294311-Peru-Vacations.html

You wrote that he is going during the Summer in the USA. Peru is in the Southern Hemisphere, so it will be "Winter" there. I'm not sure how far South of the Equator they are (we are just North of the Equator), so it might not be cold at all, except at high elevations.

• Like 1