Menu

9th Grade Literature Question...

I ask this with a little fear and trembling. Lol! 😂 I know many on this board will laugh at this, but would it be *ok* to use Lightning Lit 8 with a 9th grader who's not had much in the way of formal literature studies or compositions? My rising 9th grader (next year) has been raised on a diet of *just* reading good books and narrating or discussing them. Her writing exposure consists of a lot of written narrations over the years, a level of CAP's W&R, and a year of IEW - Student Writing Intensive B. I'm thinking LL8 might be a good way for her to get her feet wet, and transition easier to high school lit studies.

I think she'd be delighted to study the lovely book choices in LL8, and I could even beef it up with a few extra books I've been planning to have her read next year, too. She's recently fallen in love with reading. I was going to go with HOD'S literature included in the World Geography guide (which she will be doing for history next year). They use BJU Lit 9, plus reading 5 novels (A Lantern in Her Hand, Persuasion, Anne of Avonlea, The Importance of Being Earnest, and Little Women).

Would it be crazy to do LL8 instead of the BJU 9? My older boys did the BJU book, and they were often lost on the minutae that was asked for in the assignments, and often the lit selections didn't interest them. This dd does not plan on going to college, but if she changes her mind it would probably be at the local technical/community college.

Is this crazy? Has anyone else done this?

Thank you! :)

Edited by momtofive

My kids were also raised on a diet of "just" reading good books, talking about them, and writing on topics of their interest.

We never used any formal literature program, but continued the reading of good books and increased the depth of analysis and the level of writing.

This was sufficient to prepare them for their first college literature classes which each of them took in later high school grades.

No program is a substitute for copious reading of good literature.

• Like 2

I ask this with a little fear and trembling. Lol! 😂 I know many on this board will laugh at this, but would it be *ok* to use Lightning Lit 8 with a 9th grader who's not had much in the way of formal literature studies or compositions? My rising 9th grader (next year) has been raised on a diet of *just* reading good books and narrating or discussing them. Her writing exposure consists of a lot of written narrations over the years, a level of CAP's W&R, and a year of IEW - Student Writing Intensive B. I'm thinking LL8 might be a good way for her to get her feet wet, and transition easier to high school lit studies.

I think she'd be delighted to study the lovely book choices in LL8, and I could even beef it up with a few extra books I've been planning to have her read next year, too. She's recently fallen in love with reading. I was going to go with HOD'S literature included in the World Geography guide (which she will be doing for history next year). They use BJU Lit 9, plus reading 5 novels (A Lantern in Her Hand, Persuasion, Anne of Avonlea, The Importance of Being Earnest, and Little Women).

Would it be crazy to do LL8 instead of the BJU 9? My older boys did the BJU book, and they were often lost on the minutae that was asked for in the assignments, and often the lit selections didn't interest them. This dd does not plan on going to college, but if she changes her mind it would probably be at the local technical/community college.

Is this crazy? Has anyone else done this?

Thank you! :)

Not crazy, and I'm not laughing, as I did the same thing, and it sounds like it would be a great fit for your DD.

I used LL8 in 9th grade with DS#2, who had used LL7 in 8th grade. Worked great. :)  We read most of the books "popcorn" style -- "you read a page, I read a page", which allowed us to create some wonderful shared closeness around books, allowed us to discuss as we went, and helped keep DS#2 with stealth dyslexia on track with the reading and comprehension. Note: you will want to use a separate writing program (we did that for both years we used LL), as LL8 is not "complete" with writing instruction -- just a "mini-writing lesson" and suggested writing assignments to choose from at the end of each unit. 

The *only* complaint I have against LL8 is that of the 3 short stories used in the program, we really did NOT click with 2 of them, so that was disappointing. On the other hand, we unexpectedly really enjoyed My Family and Other Animals and A Day of Pleasure, which we were not at all familiar with prior to the program. Here's a past thread to help with background on A Day of Pleasure, in case you "feel lost" with it as you start it: (still searching for the thread to link it !!!)  And here are some thoughts from different posters on My Family and Other Animals"Lightning Lit 8?" posts #8-12.

We really liked both LL7 and LL8. Hope you and DD will too. :) Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Thanks so much ladies! :) I really appreciate your replies. Thanks Lori for sharing your experience in using it with your son. That's really helpful to me. ;) I'm relieved, as I was thinking it would be a great fit for her, and didn't want to go back to the drawing board. Lol! ;)

This year for writing, she's finishing up IEW-SWI B. Can you recommend a writing program that might pair well with LL8? She writes a fair amount for history, so I want to keep the writing load manageable as she transitions to high school.

Thanks so much! :D

Edited by momtofive

Thanks so much ladies! :) I really appreciate your replies. Thanks Lori for sharing your experience in using it with your son. That's really helpful to me. ;) I'm relieved, as I was thinking it would be a great fit for her, and didn't want to go back to the drawing board. Lol! ;)

This year for writing, she's finishing up IEW-SWI B. Can you recommend a writing program that might pair well with LL8? She writes a fair amount for history, so I want to keep the writing load manageable as she transitions to high school.

Thanks so much! :D

I believe IEW has some history-based writing programs?? Or, if you want something different... Perhaps spread out one of these 1-semester programs to all year, or spread out the 1-year programs over 1.5 to 2 years, so you can take your time. :)

- The Power in Your Hands (several types of essays, the research paper, and several business types of writing)

Writing With Skill 3 (Susan Wise Bauer's program)

- Writing and Rhetoric - book 6 or book 7

- Writing Research Papers: The Essential Tools (research papers)

- The Elegant Essay (essay writing)

- Lively Art of Writing (essay writing) +  link to free work pages created by 2 WTM boardees

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I believe IEW has some history-based writing programs?? Or, if you want something different... Perhaps spread out one of these 1-semester programs to all year, or spread out the 1-year programs over 1.5 to 2 years, so you can take your time. :)

- The Power in Your Hands (several types of essays, the research paper, and several business types of writing)

- Writing With Skill 3 (Susan Wise Bauer's program)

- Writing and Rhetoric - book 6 or book 7

- Writing Research Papers: The Essential Tools (research papers)

- The Elegant Essay (essay writing)

- Lively Art of Writing (essay writing) + link to free work pages created by 2 WTM boardees

This is great! I find it interesting that CAP's W&R is one you linked. We've really enjoyed that program here, but I guess I didn't think it was ok to use at the (early) high school level. My dd will be thrilled, as she really likes W&R.

Thanks, Lori! ;)

Edited by momtofive
  • Like 1

If it makes you feel better, Hewitt says that LL8 can be used with 9th grade.  Quote from the site:

Recommendations:  Although this is listed as an eighth grade text, students cannot be easily boxed into grades. A seventh grader who is a strong reader and likes writing would be able to do well with this course. Another option for the parent of a sixth grader who is eager to begin Lightning Lit is to complete the seventh grade course and this course over two years (there is not a schedule in the Teacher's Guide for this option). This course can also work for the ninth grader who needs to work at the foundations of composition (emphasis added ).

I would use it and not have a second thought.   Some of the works used are frequently found on high school reading lists  (i.e. A Christmas Carol, To Kill a Mockingbird).

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 4

If you makes you feel better, Hewitt says that LL8 can be used with 9th grade. Quote from the site:

Recommendations: Although this is listed as an eighth grade text, students cannot be easily boxed into grades. A seventh grader who is a strong reader and likes writing would be able to do well with this course. Another option for the parent of a sixth grader who is eager to begin Lightning Lit is to complete the seventh grade course and this course over two years (there is not a schedule in the Teacher's Guide for this option). This course can also work for the ninth grader who needs to work at the foundations of composition (emphasis added ).

I would use it and not have a second thought. Some of the works used are frequently found on high school reading lists (i.e. A Christmas Carol, To Kill a Mockingbird).

Now, how did I not see that! Lol! :) And you're very right, as I've seen some of those titles on high school lists as well. Thanks, Zoo Keeper! ;)

• Like 2