Menu

Stand up sit down (chair) strength test

Laura Corin

I don't know about the sit down test that Laura posted as I didn't read much about it but the sitting to the floor and standing test isn't a random thing but based on longevity and mortality research with seniors. 

Here's an article about the stand up from the floor thing: http://discovermagazine.com/2013/nov/05-sit-down

I remember the first time I heard about it, the instructor said that if you score an 8 or higher, you'd be dead in five years. That was a little extreme, obviously, but there's a significant connection between strength, balance and flexibility (which are measured by this) and mortality. 

I'm 37 and did the chair test in 11 seconds, but was surprised how wobbly I was. I should really get back into yoga. 

Here's an article about the stand up from the floor thing: http://discovermagazine.com/2013/nov/05-sit-down

I remember the first time I heard about it, the instructor said that if you score an 8 or higher, you'd be dead in five years. That was a little extreme, obviously, but there's a significant connection between strength, balance and flexibility (which are measured by this) and mortality. 

I'm 37 and did the chair test in 11 seconds, but was surprised how wobbly I was. I should really get back into yoga. 

LOL, I posted that article on the first page. 

I think people randomly make this stuff up.  LOL 

Unless you correct for chair size compared with height, there is not much scientific about this IMO.

What confused me in the video was that some of the folks shown seemed to be making a point of actually sitting down in the chair, including putting their bottoms all the way at the back of the seat, which others were just effectively doing squats sort of hovering over the chair. Those two things don't seem at all equivalent to me, if we're basing the evaluation on the time it takes to complete the task.

So, without more details, I can't imagine this being meaningful.

(Full disclosure - I haven't even bothered to try, because I have a knee that has been giving me grief since I did a little too much Zumba too soon. So, I would be in pain if I tried this. But that doesn't affect my sense that the whole idea is pointless without more specific criteria.)

• Like 1

What confused me in the video was that some of the folks shown seemed to be making a point of actually sitting down in the chair, including putting their bottoms all the way at the back of the seat, which others were just effectively doing squats sort of hovering over the chair. Those two things don't seem at all equivalent to me, if we're basing the evaluation on the time it takes to complete the task.

So, without more details, I can't imagine this being meaningful.

(Full disclosure - I haven't even bothered to try, because I have a knee that has been giving me grief since I did a little too much Zumba too soon. So, I would be in pain if I tried this. But that doesn't affect my sense that the whole idea is pointless without more specific criteria.)

I think Hornblower's analysis makes sense (above).