Menu

Stand up sit down (chair) strength test

Laura Corin

I know that these tests are only suitable for people without health issues, so I don't mean to make anyone who is suffering feel bad.

I think this clip should be visible overseas.  Basically, the test measures how many seconds it takes you to stand up and sit down ten times on a hard, upright chair with your arms crossed on your chest. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05w69pq

In case you can't see it, the ranges are

Men under 25: 10 seconds

Women under 25: 12 seconds

Men 35-55: 13 seconds

Women 35-55: 15 seconds

Men over 55: 18 seconds

Women over 55: 19 seconds

I turn 55 in a month and I just managed 15, but I've been running for over a year now and doing yoga for much longer, so I had assumed that I would ace the test.  Oh well, I'm starting a new employer-financed fitness class this evening.

• Like 4

I'm 38, I got 10 seconds, that gets the heart going pretty quick.

Another similar test is the standing to sitting test. The goal is to be able to sit all the way on the ground and back up without using your hands or knees. I've had people practice this one in yoga class, although people already doing yoga will probably do better than people that aren't because with most yoga classes you are getting down on the floor at some point, a lot of people in older age never get on the floor.

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/nov/05-sit-down

• Like 2

Another similar test is the standing to sitting test. The goal is to be able to sit all the way on the ground and back up without using your hands or knees. I've had people practice this one in yoga class, although people already doing yoga will probably do better than people that aren't because with most yoga classes you are getting down on the floor at some point, a lot of people in older age never get on the floor.

I can do that but not as illustrated.  I just squat all the way down to the ground and un-squat back up again.

• Like 1

Haven`t tried the first one, but I did try the standing to sitting test on the weekend and I was relieved to find I could do it.  I told my parents and in-laws about it but none of them were willing to try it in front of people - but I did advise them to try it at home and see how and gave them some ideas about things they can do to improve their strength and flexibility.

Haven`t tried the first one, but I did try the standing to sitting test on the weekend and I was relieved to find I could do it.  I told my parents and in-laws about it but none of them were willing to try it in front of people - but I did advise them to try it at home and see how and gave them some ideas about things they can do to improve their strength and flexibility.

I did get my bil and sil to do it and they both struggled. Both are in decent shape(regularly exercise) although neither work on much flexibility. I've been a devoted squatter (ATG)for years so that makes it pretty easy for me. 

• Like 1

I can do that but not as illustrated.  I just squat all the way down to the ground and un-squat back up again.

Just tried and I also squat down until I'm sitting then just stand back up with a little forward rock to get from butt onto feet.  I tried the leg crossing thing as illustrated and my legs got tangled up...  

• Like 1

Just tried and I also squat down until I'm sitting then just stand back up with a little forward rock to get from butt onto feet.  I tried the leg crossing thing as illustrated and my legs got tangled up...  

This always reminds me that I need to work harder on my core strength though, because I get a little muscle twinge just under my rib cage as I push up.

I haven't done this test, but I will because I love tests, but it reminds me of an article I read in a magazine when I was a kid and read every printed word that came into my house.  It was in a women's magazine, Good Housekeeping, probably, and was a list of functional fitness tasks that you should make sure you can still do.  Obviously, my ten-year old self was hardly the target audience, but I still remember, decades later, that one of the tests was whether you can put your panty hose on without sitting down or leaning on something.  To this day, when I pull on tights in the winter, I make sure I can balance well enough and am flexible enough to put them on standing in the middle of a room.  And I admit to feeling a little smug that I can.  It's so stupid, but I do.  (I have expanded the tights test to shoes as well.) I run 25 miles a week, but I actually feel like it is more beneficial to think of fitness in the terms of function--do I have to lean on the grocery cart when I am shopping?  Do I get winded going up a flight of stairs at a leisurely pace?  Can I throw the 50 lb. bag of dog food over my shoulder and carry it to the cashier and out to my car?  Can I rearrange my own furniture?  Carry a pile of logs from the wood pile?  I would bet that a surprising number of ladies can't, and certainly many a decade older can't.  I hope not to join them over the next decade.

• Like 12

I haven't done this test, but I will because I love tests, but it reminds me of an article I read in a magazine when I was a kid and read every printed word that came into my house.  It was in a women's magazine, Good Housekeeping, probably, and was a list of functional fitness tasks that you should make sure you can still do.  Obviously, my ten-year old self was hardly the target audience, but I still remember, decades later, that one of the tests was whether you can put your panty hose on without sitting down or leaning on something.  To this day, when I pull on tights in the winter, I make sure I can balance well enough and am flexible enough to put them on standing in the middle of a room.  And I admit to feeling a little smug that I can.  It's so stupid, but I do.  (I have expanded the tights test to shoes as well.) I run 25 miles a week, but I actually feel like it is more beneficial to think of fitness in the terms of function--do I have to lean on the grocery cart when I am shopping?  Do I get winded going up a flight of stairs at a leisurely pace?  Can I throw the 50 lb. bag of dog food over my shoulder and carry it to the cashier and out to my car?  Can I rearrange my own furniture?  Carry a pile of logs from the wood pile?  I would bet that a surprising number of ladies can't, and certainly many a decade older can't.  I hope not to join them over the next decade.

I'm not meant to carry weights due to prolapse, but I try to keep strong in other ways.

• Like 1

Well, I'm going to have to say yay, rowing!  

I turn 53 next week, and I managed 11 seconds - did it twice to make sure! :D

Now I just have to lose those 20 lbs...

Now, that sitting all the way down cross-legged and then standing all the way up?  I can squat all the way down and get back up all day, but once my butt is on the floor, I lose a point because I just have to use the side of my leg to get back up.  That probably has something to do with the extra 20 lbs. in the caboose...

• Like 4

YES! ITA about functional fitness. No exercise means much if you can't do everyday activities. Now, sometimes you want to do stuff because it is fun, or you want to look good, or bragging rights, or because you want to meet a goal but I want to improve my function in life too. I grew up working around the house and yard, so I always consider that part of my activity, it doesn't have to be in a gym to count.

What about size of chair?  My feet often do not touch the floor when I sit on a chair so for me to complete such a task on a regular chair wouldn't exactly be the same as a taller person.

LOL, I think to be fair you need a chair small enough you can reach the floor!

• Like 5

What about size of chair?  My feet often do not touch the floor when I sit on a chair so for me to complete such a task on a regular chair wouldn't exactly be the same as a taller person.

I wondered about that too.  I have fairly long legs.  I was using a chair from our dining room set, the seat of which is several inches shorter than my knees when I'm standing.  So that meant a deeper-than-90-degree squat for me.  I was able to do it in 12 seconds (and I'm 44).  I assume with a taller chair it would have been faster?  But those are the only hard chairs in my house.

• Like 2

Exactly what I was gonna say! I am barely 5 feet tall. In a regular chair, my feet do not touch. I do have a stool here, however, that puts me at a level where my feet will sit flat on the floor. Using that, I was able to do it in 12 seconds (I am almost 52). 

However, I was also wondering about leg position. Most of them appeared to be doing it with legs together, but at least one man had his legs spread. I tried it with legs spread and could do it in about 8 seconds. Seems to give quite an advantage. Just like it seems that height would do. 

• Like 2

Looking at the video, there seemed to be several acceptable styles of how to do the stand up sit down exercise.  There was the "touch your butt to the chair" version and the "weight your body on your rear" version.  I was 22 seconds with the "weight your body on your rear version" and 12 seconds on the "touch your butt to the chair" version.  

I can't do the squat down to sit on the floor and get back up exercise without either getting on a knee or using a hand.  I can get down very easily, but I have a lousy core (bad discs in my back makes it difficult to work it hard) and those pesky knees.  I do get down on the floor frequently, but I often use the toddler method of getting up. 

I am 54, overweight, with terrible knees.  I've been in better shape.  I walk the dog daily for 2 miles.  I rock climb 2 - 3 days a week and try to add more cardio in then.  I want to do more yoga, but since my ankle injury, doing anything without shoes and arch support is painful. 

• Like 4

I do have what is probably arthritis in my knees and hips.  That said, I am also not in great shape.  If I'd been doing my yoga like I'm supposed to, I'd probably be great at this stuff.  :)

I can do the sit down on the floor / get up without a hand or knee thing.  Today I needed to rock several times before I could get up though.

Edited by SKL

At first I was thinking that height would be a disadvantage because, as Sparkly put it, tall people have further to go.  But men apparently do better on this test than women, and men are taller on average, so maybe that's not the case at all?

However, I was also wondering about leg position. Most of them appeared to be doing it with legs together, but at least one man had his legs spread. I tried it with legs spread and could do it in about 8 seconds. Seems to give quite an advantage. Just like it seems that height would do. 

Yes, that would probably make a huge difference as well.  A narrow-stance squat uses mostly your quadriceps.  But a wider stance recruits the muscles of the hamstrings and glutes, so (for me at least) makes it significantly easier.  

Lots of variables for a test where the difference in score is a matter of a mere second.  But still, I think that quick and easy (and no-cost!) fitness assessments like this have tremendous value.  If they can point out problems and motivate change, that's huge.  

• Like 2

At first I was thinking that height would be a disadvantage because, as Sparkly put it, tall people have further to go.  But men apparently do better on this test than women, and men are taller on average, so maybe that's not the case at all?

Yes, that would probably make a huge difference as well.  A narrow-stance squat uses mostly your quadriceps.  But a wider stance recruits the muscles of the hamstrings and glutes, so (for me at least) makes it significantly easier.  

Lots of variables for a test where the difference in score is a matter of a mere second.  But still, I think that quick and easy (and no-cost!) fitness assessments like this have tremendous value.  If they can point out problems and motivate change, that's huge.  

I don't know, but unless a chair is sized proportionately the same from person to person, how can we compare results? 

• Like 2

I haven't done the test yet, but I was leading a study abroad program in Austria a number of years ago where there was an activity for students to learn a bit of German where they had to sit and stand like this during a song.  I was surprised at how many of my college students were unable to sit and stand like this several times in a row (compared to the Austrian leader in his 60's who did this while playing his guitar and could outlast them all).  At that point, I vowed to do this routinely.

Several years ago I broke my ankle and developed a horrible case of carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists--getting up off the ground was a painful and difficult task.  I happened to be talking to a firefighter who said that he recommended that people practice getting up and down off of the floor as they age--he said that if people simply got on the floor with their grandchildren it would reduce a lot of the calls they had to deal with.  It is odd how things that we did when we were young we just slowly lose without thinking about it. 

• Like 1

I did good on the chair sit/stand. I’m 45 and got 11 seconds. I’ve never been able to do the sit down on the floor and get up like shown. Even when I was younger and thinner. I can lower myself down without using my hands, but have to keep my feet straight and lower down to one “cheek†first. Same for standing up. I can put both knees to one side, then stand up not using my hands. I just cannot go down into sitting cross-legged and up for that position.

• Like 1

I don't know about the sit down test that Laura posted as I didn't read much about it but the sitting to the floor and standing test isn't a random thing but based on longevity and mortality research with seniors. 

Well, I am surely doomed then. I can do squats like crazy, kneel and sit on my feet and stand back up (no hands), get into all kinds of other positions on the floor and rise without the use of hands, have excellent balance and can put on socks and shoes and pants without sitting or leaning on anything. But with my feet in front of me like that, I can not even so much as move towards standing without using a hand. 

Edited to ask, is there a way to work on that and improve? Or is it just a thing that you either can or can't do?

Edited by VaKim

I must be doing something wrong.

I did the touch-your-butt-to-the-chair style.

10 times in 9 seconds (all times rounded up).

I repeated it again to make sure.

Again in 9 seconds.

I repeated again to make sure. This time I sat the phone (timer) on the floor in front of me, hit "start" and then sat in the chair, crossed my arms and began.

11 seconds.

I'm 55 and 4'10".

Well, I am surely doomed then. I can do squats like crazy, kneel and sit on my feet and stand back up (no hands), get into all kinds of other positions on the floor and rise without the use of hands, have excellent balance and can put on socks and shoes and pants without sitting or leaning on anything. But with my feet in front of me like that, I can not even so much as move towards standing without using a hand.

Edited to ask, is there a way to work on that and improve? Or is it just a thing that you either can or can't do?

I’m the same way. I cannot physically get into that position and stand back up from that specific position and wasn’t able to the first time I saw this years ago either. My balance is also good, and I can easily get up and down from the floor without using my hands or support from other positions but not cross-legged. So, I guess I’m doomed as well. 🙂

• Like 1

Normal chair, legs together, 11.38 seconds. Which cracks me up since I know what I look like :p But maybe I was just motivated to not look silly.

The stand from floor thing I have NEVER been able to do. Not when I was a gymnast, not now (in the obvious peak of health ;) ).

I did the chair test in 14 seconds (it might normally be faster but I did weights yesterday including squats and my quads and bum are sore!)

I can sit down cross legged and stand back up with a touch of the side of the leg, though I can get up without anything touching if I place both feet flat on the floor and pop up.

I also put on my socks without touching anything :lol: .

That said, I'm only recently back to weights.  When I was an active Judoka and had built in strength training, I was a lot stronger.  I'd lift heavy things without thinking about it and wonder why people around me were concerned for my safety.  I walk 2-4 miles a day on the treadmill and I hate strength training, but am forcing myself to lift heavy things so I can build my strength back up.

• Like 1

Looking at the video, there seemed to be several acceptable styles of how to do the stand up sit down exercise.  

This made me twitchy about the video.   

Some people weren't going to a full extension of knees and hip flexors when they stood.  Many were using momentum rather than muscle strength.  

On the other hand, I'm constantly nagging people to get down on the floor and back up Every Single Day.  Use it or lose it, folks.  Various relatives have fallen and been unable to get themselves back up -- if only they had practiced that skill, maybe it wouldn't have been such an issue.  This guy is my hero:  

• Like 1

On the other hand, I'm constantly nagging people to get down on the floor and back up Every Single Day. Use it or lose it, folks. Various relatives have fallen and been unable to get themselves back up -- if only they had practiced that skill, maybe it wouldn't have been such an issue. This guy is my hero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyan2o7PaxA

Very true. But the reason for the fall or the extent of the injury from the fall influences whether or not one can get up. My mom had two serious falls, one was due to a mild stroke. The other was tripping over something on the floor and she broke her pelvis. Neither were something could get up from.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I must be doing something wrong.

I did the touch-your-butt-to-the-chair style.

10 times in 9 seconds (all times rounded up).

I repeated it again to make sure.

Again in 9 seconds.

I repeated again to make sure. This time I sat the phone (timer) on the floor in front of me, hit "start" and then sat in the chair, crossed my arms and began.

11 seconds.

I'm 55 and 4'10".

Just over 9 seconds here, too. I sat my butt all the way down on the chair (didn’t just barely touch down) but I didn’t put all my weight down like I would if I was sitting down and staying seated, if that makes any sense!

I’m 54 and 5’5†tall. Ok, maybe I’m more like 5’4†now that I’m getting older, but I’ll never admit it! :laugh:

• Like 2

I think if you practice this activity specifically a little more (as there is a degree of skill involved to do the action quickly), psych yourself up more with some high-energy music you enjoy, have someone else time you, and perhaps try the test again with someone else doing it at the same time so it's fun and competitive, you could do it faster. Most people aren't used to doing an unfamiliar action at their maximum intensity. There is a definite learning curve involved that is unrelated to your fitness level.

• Like 2

I think if you practice this activity specifically a little more (as there is a degree of skill involved to do the action quickly), psych yourself up more with some high-energy music you enjoy, have someone else time you, and perhaps try the test again with someone else doing it at the same time so it's fun and competitive, you could do it faster. Most people aren't used to doing an unfamiliar action at their maximum intensity. There is a definite learning curve involved that is unrelated to your fitness level.

I'm so used to doing really deep squats that I slammed my bottom down on the chair really hard the first time, and kind of stumbled a bit.  :lol:  So yeah, I think I could do better on a second test!  I'm going with that, anyway.  :D  I'll try it out tomorrow.

• Like 2

Very true. But the reason for the fall or the extent of the injury from the fall influences whether or not one can get up. My mom had two serious falls, one was due to a mild stroke. The other was tripping over something on the floor and she broke her pelvis. Neither were something could get up from.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Oh, absolutely true -- there are falls no one could be expected to get up from!  

But in the case of my relatives, they weren't injured -- they just could not get up.  This has happened to 3 different people at a variety of ages; one is younger than I am, which was the most mind boggling to me.

• Like 1

I can do the sitting on the floor thing and the chair thing took me 10 seconds.  It is a bit rough on the knees, but by joints tend to get wobbly in late pregnancy, so I think it is that.

There's no way I could have done the sitting to the floor thing in late pregnancy! Good for you! Ugh- the pain with the last one just putting my weight on one leg to put pants on was super bad. I probably could have done it with my previous pregnancies because I don't remember ever having that kind of pain; probably pubic symphysis dysfunction. I think having my Baby at an older age will keep me young because I am up and down off the floor all day. 

I can do both now, but I can't stand back up without crossing my legs. I've tried and tried and I can get down with legs crossed or uncrossed, but I cannot get back from a squat without crossing my legs at least a bit. I also am terrible at squats anyway. I think it is a balance issue. 

My kids had me trying to do this thing they do at martial arts and I cannot do it at all. They sit on their knees with their butt on their feet and then jump up and land on both feet at once without touching the ground with their hands. Can anyone do that? I felt like an old slug while they laughed at me.  :laugh: Even my DD with CP can do it. I will practice when they aren't looking and maybe I'll surprise them someday. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 2

This is all ditto me exactly, right down to the symphisis pain this time around. Ouch! If I recall correctly, I think we had babies near the same time. I found a link that describes in detail how to work toward being able to do the squat way of getting up off the ground, and I’m going to work on that. Reading the description, I think my deficiency is coming from my abs, which still have a significant diastasis from pregnancy.

That makes sense and makes me feel better. Baby is only 3mos and I can tell my abs and are still much weaker than they used to be. 

• Like 1

ETA: For anyone who does the test using the cross-legged way of getting back up, try it again with your legs crossed the opposite direction. I was surprised how much more difficult it was for me to do when I cross my legs the other way. I managed, but it took real effort.

No matter what I do with my legs in front, I can not even so much as get up momentum to even move my butt off the floor. I will surely be dying sometime soon.

My kids had me trying to do this thing they do at martial arts and I cannot do it at all. They sit on their knees with their butt on their feet and then jump up and land on both feet at once without touching the ground with their hands. Can anyone do that? I felt like an old slug while they laughed at me.  :laugh: Even my DD with CP can do it. I will practice when they aren't looking and maybe I'll surprise them someday. 

Now, I can actually do that. But apparently that isn't the one that will keep me from dying early, lol.

I'm 51 and got 10 seconds.  My Zumba instructors incorporate a fair bit of squats into our workouts.

I watched the video and I too observed that people did them differently but I think some of that was not technique so much as muscle weakness. I think a few of the people were rolling back into the seat so far because their muscles are weak and they were falling into the chair those last few millimeters. Then they were using momentum to rock back up, instead of using muscle strength to pull. I think actually this is a pretty accurate test. 

I can do the other one too. It is interesting how crossing the legs the 'wrong' way feels different but I can do it both ways.

I can see how both these exercises can become increasingly hard  - esp as arthritis progresses. We have control over muscle and building strength but OA is not something we can really do much about. Fortunately mine is limited to a couple toes & a thumb right now but if you have oa in hips, knees & ankles both these exercises become much more challenging. 

• Like 5

I can see how both these exercises can become increasingly hard  - esp as arthritis progresses. We have control over muscle and building strength but OA is not something we can really do much about. Fortunately mine is limited to a couple toes & a thumb right now but if you have oa in hips, knees & ankles both these exercises become much more challenging. 

I can sit on the floor relatively easily, but I can't get back up without using a knee. I *think* a big part of the problem is OA and general damage in my right ankle (which I have sprained numerous times over the years, starting when I was around 12). I have very limited range of motion in that ankle, and that seems to be contributing to the difficulty.

• Like 2

LOL, I tried that just kneeling and got up in a rather ugly manner, I didn't try it sitting all the way back. When I tried it the second time even kneeling I thought I was going to hurt myself! Ds felt like he felt it more in his abs, I don't know if that was my deficit or the lack of coordination (I'm also sore today from lifting weights on Tues)! I'm scared of trying it again for free I'll hurt my back, maybe another day, when I'm feeling spunky!