Rising 9th & 10th Graders $15

Rising 11th & 12th Graders $100

Course Offerings Per Course Grammar School $650

Schools of Logic & Rhetoric $690-$720

AP Courses $740

Rhetoric 2/Senior Thesis $800

The Great Conversation Courses

Each Great Conversation course provides 2.5 credits. $880

**that finalizes it for me, just one class with WHA next year, and it's a pricey one! that extra service fee is a lot. plus the non-refundable nature of the classes, it's a lot. 

• Like 3

Which class have you decided? I was debating between GC at WHA or CLRC, but I want to cover more with one class so probably CLRC since we will have credits in history, literature, and writing (applying to some high schools so need to show some outside classes). And, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m very familiar with CLRC whereas I feel like after 3 classes with WHA IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been happy with only 1 of them, but DD is easy going and will say all of them have been great.

ETA: Point is enrolling is more risky with their refund policy so sitting in a sample class may not be enough for me. Are they getting certification this year?

Edited by crazyforlatin
  • Like 1

I was hoping to sign ds up for a math class but this looks expensive.  So, if he's a new student with WHA, we have to pay a $250 student fee and then about $700 for the actual class or $950 in total for 1 class? If this is correct, it seems like a good way of discouraging people from trying one of their courses.  

• Like 7

Do they have a diploma program? That's pretty steep if they don't. MPOA charges $200/year for their diploma program but then they give you a flat fee of $2500 for 5 courses and 10% off any additional classes. They have their own classical school association accreditation but they are an NCAA approved provider for all of their high school level classes.

We've been pleased with their classes. They don't have a great books class like CLRC, but they do have combined history/lit classes that are less intensive. Trinqueta is doing Classical Studies I this year. It covers ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia and Greece the first half of the year and then does the Iliad and the Odyssey the second half. CS II is Roman history and the Aeneid. They also offer literature classes and composition classes that are separate from the classical studies class which they treat as a history credit.

(We're both pretty easy going about outside classes. We've rarely been terribly disappointed in a class and we've only dropped one out of 20 or so classes. So YMMV if you're very discerning.)

• Like 2

To answer some of the questions IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve seen up thread: WHA is expecting news of their accreditation anytime. They have newly received NCAA approval. They do have a diploma program, but weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re not in it, so I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know specifics.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be the dissenting voice and say that even with the price increases, I feel WHA is a good value. The three classes my DD is taking this year are all fantastic! I just wish I were okay with a Christian worldview in History/literature, and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d definitely do the full diploma program. Alas, it must remain secular for us, so weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll likely go with CLRC Great Books.

• Like 4

I wish those of us with rising seniors could opt out of the new service fee if we aren't interested in all the "perks" offered by the college advisor. (The Hive is my free college advising service.  :lol: )

The AP class fee plus the one-time student fee makes WHA more expensive than taking a full-cost one semester (4-credit) college class from the local state college. If the time for Stats works in her schedule, that makes it more likely she'll take Stats at the college vs. WHA. I'm not going to make the AP Calc decision based on cost alone, but it sure does put a nail in that coffin. I was thinking about having my dd#3 do math at WHA starting with Algebra 1, but if the price increases continue, I'll have to re-evaluate.

• Like 4

ETA: Point is enrolling is more risky with their refund policy so sitting in a sample class may not be enough for me. Are they getting certification this year?

Have the high schools to which your dd is applying said that they prefer online courses through accredited providers?

I imagine public schools might prefer an accredited provider because that's a checkbox they would understand. However, I can't imagine that a private school, smaller and giving more individual attention to applicants, wouldn't consider a portfolio of work (essays, labs...) over some sort of accreditation?

I would choose whichever course seems more suited to your student's level, needs, and ability, regardless of accreditation.

That is a hefty fee for those who only want to plug into a class or two. I am disappointed. I am not interested in doing all-online private school at home, and it seems like that is mostly what they are trying to be.

I understand the cost increases for individual classes better. They are a little high, but they are building their school and I hope are paying their teachers what they are worth, and I am sure accreditation wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t cheap, either. Some of the prices are consistent with other live online classes.

• Like 2

Yow! Those are pretty significant increases.

I agree. I'd rather see all those add-on fees limited to use of the new services they're offering. Looks like they're trying to become a one-stop high school provider, which I know some people want. That means the cost will go up for all users. Sigh. I prefer to pick and choose courses from all the options out there.

Just looked at the fine print on the refund policy, too..... After June 30th, $50 charge for changing from one section to another, $100 fee to change from one course to another. That's fine, as long as there is NO charge if WHA changes the teacher or the textbook for the section for which I have registered. When I register and pay for an online course, it's because I want that specific instructor, and often that specific textbook and time slot. If they change the instructor after I have registered, as has happened in the past, I expect to be offered the option of choosing another section/class OR a full refund, if I do not find another section (time, teacher, & text) that I want.

• Like 7

I wish those of us with rising seniors could opt out of the new service fee if we aren't interested in all the "perks" offered by the college advisor. (The Hive is my free college advising service.  :lol: )

The AP class fee plus the one-time student fee makes WHA more expensive than taking a full-cost one semester (4-credit) college class from the local state college. If the time for Stats works in her schedule, that makes it more likely she'll take Stats at the college vs. WHA. I'm not going to make the AP Calc decision based on cost alone, but it sure does put a nail in that coffin. I was thinking about having my dd#3 do math at WHA starting with Algebra 1, but if the price increases continue, I'll have to re-evaluate.

yes i agree. even for my upcoming students, i am not interested in the perks their 'student service' fee offers. those are some pricey perks, some of which NONE of us ever use.

i like how PAH just has a set price, nothing more - no added fees. some of theirs are upwards of high 700's also (ap chem) but then nothing in addition.

we'll be taking AP Calc - not AP Stats. I'll do that elsewhere for sure. And I was thinking of my #3 taking Alg I - but we'll do that at home instead. Too much money.

#2 already takes math with Jann in TX - we'll stay there for her for the foreseeable future. And now I'm loathe to think of having my #3 take Geom-AP Calc at WHA like his brother as I had planned. *sigh*

so that $250 per student or $500 family cap is a one-time fee. BUT from what i'm reading, if you take off from WHA for a single year, you have to start that fee over!

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 3

AP Calculus: Thinking Out Loud

Derek Owens: $15 registration fee; $522 tuitionĂ¢â‚¬Â¦payable by month (nice!); inexpensive worktexts; uses calculator son already owns

WHA: $100 student services fee (for a returning senior); $740 tuitionĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.not sure about textbook (they tend to be pricey and require solutions manual, too); PLUS in previous years calculus has required a higher-level calculator than the TI-84 that we already own (another $100++), and their refund policy has no room for error.

Then we have to pay for the AP exam and proctor here (another $120 or so).

So DO will cost around $600 and WHA will cost over $1000 for AP CalculusĂ¢â‚¬Â¦not including exam.

My younger son has done really well with Mrs. Stublen this year in pre-calc, but older son absolutely loved Derek Owens, too, and easily scored a 5 on the exam. Despite our fondness for Mrs. Stublen and my younger sonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s success with WHA math, I do not think it is worth the $400 price tag difference. Just to be bluntĂ¢â‚¬Â¦that price difference is the entire tuition for my Clover Creek physics course! Ha!

Then there is this possibility:

Dual enrollment: much cheaper locallyĂ¢â‚¬Â¦possibly free (depending on community college or uni)

• Like 10

It will be interesting to watch WHA's path. They do seem to be moving toward an all-in-one online high school organization with their addition of accreditation, college advising, "houses," etc.

Accreditation would be most useful to students who want/need a "diploma program" type of thing and who would be able/willing to take all/most of their classes at WHA.

College advising would be most useful in the context of an all-in-one online high school. Parents who use an all-in-one for academics are more likely to look to it for college advising as well. They may be working parents who don't have as much time as a family with a dedicated home schooling parent to do as much as they feel they should, including finding college admissions info.

"Houses" are undoubtedly intended to create & foster a community environment, a social group, for WHA students, outside of classes themselves. That might be great for students who are more geographically isolated from irl friends, if it gets off the ground. I know for my boys' "house," a student is putting a lot of effort into organizing online get togethers, games, etc. But my boys would rather put their free time into seeing their local irl friends. Between schoolwork, irl friends, and their EC (debate), they don't have any time left to put into an online community, esp. as seniors who will be moving on next year anyhow. But! I can see how more isolated families might like a closer community environment with students who will likely be in more than one class with them.

So, I can see that the direction they're taking could fill a certain market need. I'm glad it's an option for those who want/need it, but I still prefer picking and choosing from different providers, so I'd rather not have to shoulder the fees involved with an all-in-one. It will be a factor to consider in choosing courses.

I wonder if there's a bigger market for an all-in-one online high school or a bigger market for the more typical ĂƒÂ¡ la carte class from various providers.  Maybe an all-in-one online high school which is of higher quality than the current K12,... all-in-one option will attract more families from the public schools who don't want to make the jump to home schooling or to finding ĂƒÂ¡ la carte online courses?  

• Like 3

I agree they are trying to set themselves up as a one-stop shop, but with no price cut for 4-5 classes/kid.  :thumbdown:  Like yvonne, I like to mix & match providers for what they are best at, for a specific teacher, for a certain textbook, or even just for a certain timeslot.

so that $250 per student or $500 family cap is a one-time fee. BUT from what i'm reading, if you take off from WHA for a single year, you have to start that fee over!

I read it as $500 family cap "this year" for families. I didn't see a promise to keep that cap in future years.

AP Calculus: Thinking Out Loud

Yep, I did some calculations too. (HSLDA has live AP Calc AB for $595 for HSLDA members + $25/student/year fee. $100 more for non-members. Looks like book costs are comparable to WHA. HSLDA says a TI-84 is fine.) 

It would be a lot tougher for me if dd#3 had already started the math sequence at WHA or if Mrs Lange was still teaching there. I'm not going to say we won't go with WHA for math next year or in the future, though.

I wasn't planning on registering right away this year, but the horrible refund policy makes it likely that we'll wait until everything else falls into place before registering for anything at WHA.

• Like 1

wow. We are big consumers of online classes and have been for quite a few years. I've always budgeted for it and thought it was worth it and I've pretty much been willing to pay what it took for the classes I think are best.

But- there is a breaking point at which I won't be willing to pay. Especially paying those extra fees when I just want one class.

(sorry to butt in. We don't have experience with WHA but there are providers I used in the past that just got too high)

• Like 3

I agree that if you only want one class, the price becomes way over the top.  Doesn't WTMA have something like a $75 registration fee every year?  If so, you could pay three years of fees with WTMA and still be under the one-time WHA fee of $250.  That is quite sobering!

For us, it works as our fee will just be $100 and we could actually benefit from the career assessment software tool and also from the college advisor.  I expect one of the things the college advisor will do is help students explain to colleges what is great and unique about getting their education at WHA (compared to other places; e.g. what makes Great Conversations so great in what it covers compared to the usual tract of history courses in high school).  As long as WHA accepts the coursework we submitted as transfer credits for our dd's 9th grade year, we are 'in' for the diploma program.  It was a huge chore to prepare our older dc's admission application to UCONN as the added requirements for homeschoolers to include is a long list (including the question asking how many of the courses were completed via an accredited program).  We have to wait until after March 1st to find out if he is accepted or not, but I do not hold a whole lot of hope as none of his classes were from an accredited source.  In contrast, we trust WHA to pave the way for a better experience for our upcoming junior to navigate the applying-to-college scene.  It's just what gives us 'peace' on this journey.  Although I will put in a plug for HSLDA Online Academy as our ds has really thrived with the courses he took there....it's just that our dd wanted to go a different direction.

• Like 1

I agree that if you only want one class, the price becomes way over the top.  Doesn't WTMA have something like a $75 registration fee every year?  If so, you could pay three years of fees with WTMA and still be under the one-time WHA fee of $250.  That is quite sobering!

For 2017-2018 WTMA was $60 registration fee, $40 technology fee.  

History & Literature, Once Weekly, Capped at 20 Students, $599

Writing, Math, & Science with Lab, Twice Weekly, 12-15 students, $649

Foreign Languages, Thrice Weekly, Capped at 15 students, $699

Intensive Small Classes, Twice Weekly, Capped at 6 students, $899

I haven't heard what the new fees will be for the new school year.  They do have a very good refund policy.

We had to cut way back in online classes and are considering more classes at the CC for next year for my current 9th graders.  

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

I don't get the big whoop over accreditation. It's hoop jumping. That's all it means.

I think the accreditation thing is pushed more by parents who think it matters than by the providers themselves. It seems like a pain to do and to keep up, for what, as you say.

I can't imagine online accreditation means anything to any more selective private high school or college. I do think that submitting a portfolio of written work samples and a book list from a truly good course will go further than some random accreditation. But it sounds like some families have run into situations where it matters.

• Like 3

I think the accreditation thing is pushed more by parents who think it matters than by the providers themselves. It seems like a pain to do and to keep up, for what, as you say.

I can't imagine online accreditation means anything to any more selective private high school or college. I do think that submitting a portfolio of written work samples and a book list from a truly good course will go further than some random accreditation. But it sounds like some families have run into situations where it matters.

If you really need accreditation, the classical school associations that WHA or MPOA belong to won't cut it. They'll be looking for regional accreditation and that's a different thing. Weirdly enough, the American School of Correspondence is regionally accredited but they aren't an NCAA approved provider, which is a whole other kettle of fish. The NCAA thing could actually be important given how screwed up they are but only if your kid will play a Div I or II college sport (remember Corraleno's saga?).

• Like 5

If you really need accreditation, the classical school associations that WHA or MPOA belong to won't cut it. They'll be looking for regional accreditation and that's a different thing. Weirdly enough, the American School of Correspondence is regionally accredited but they aren't an NCAA approved provider, which is a whole other kettle of fish. The NCAA thing could actually be important given how screwed up they are but only if your kid will play a Div I or II college sport (remember Corraleno's saga?).

Is there any reason other than sports that they would pursue it? Sports was the first thing I thought of, but I don't know about this stuff. =)

I might get myself in trouble but I emailed Mr. Etter and asked if they would consider relaxing their cancellation policy considering the costs and the fact they still don't have video up for any of the classes.  I have a very positive impression of the teachers we would have, but I still don't have a lot of idea of how the class runs. I really don't like making decisions in the dark that have such large financial costs associated with them. 

• Like 4

For 2017-2018 WTMA was $60 registration fee, $40 technology fee.  

History & Literature, Once Weekly, Capped at 20 Students, $599

Writing, Math, & Science with Lab, Twice Weekly, 12-15 students, $649

Foreign Languages, Thrice Weekly, Capped at 15 students, $699

Intensive Small Classes, Twice Weekly, Capped at 6 students, $899

I haven't heard what the new fees will be for the new school year.  They do have a very good refund policy.

We had to cut way back in online classes and are considering more classes at the CC for next year for my current 9th graders.

If I recall, these prices were a jump from the year before. I still thought they were fair and we've been happy and plan to continue. The refund policy helps.

But I am getting a little anxious to see this year's prices.

Is there any reason other than sports that they would pursue it? Sports was the first thing I thought of, but I don't know about this stuff. =)

NCAA is for sports. The accreditation thing might be important for applying to overseas universities or some technical schools. It's not a problem for regular, American college admissions.

• Like 1

Personally, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t care about accreditation, but I think what WHA is pursuing is a secular accreditation. If memory serves me, it is AdvancEd. I guess there are parents asking for it or they wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t bother.

• Like 1

NCAA is for sports. The accreditation thing might be important for applying to overseas universities or some technical schools. It's not a problem for regular, American college admissions.

NCAA is the only thing I could think of that could care about accreditation, but I've never looked into that. I know that was one of VPSA's big marketing points about their diploma program a while back, but in a quick look at their site, I don't see that mentioned.   So, for NCAA purposes, one needs regional accreditation?

(I did see this claim: "Many families don't know that an accredited Diploma opens up a lot more doors to academic scholarship and financial aid. Veritas is accredited by the Middle States Association-one of the most widely recognized and respected accrediting organizations for just this purpose."  I can't imagine that this is accurate, though, given the many, many families on this board whose students received scholarships from a variety of schools already this year.)

A friend is looking for accredited online high school classes. Has anyone experienced first hand any need for accreditation, besides for NCAA? (Her students aren't athletes.)

Thanks,

yvonne

NCAA is the only thing I could think of that could care about accreditation, but I've never looked into that. I know that was one of VPSA's big marketing points about their diploma program a while back, but in a quick look at their site, I don't see that mentioned.   So, for NCAA purposes, one needs regional accreditation?

(I did see this claim: "Many families don't know that an accredited Diploma opens up a lot more doors to academic scholarship and financial aid. Veritas is accredited by the Middle States Association-one of the most widely recognized and respected accrediting organizations for just this purpose."  I can't imagine that this is accurate, though, given the many, many families on this board whose students received scholarships from a variety of schools already this year.)

A friend is looking for accredited online high school classes. Has anyone experienced first hand any need for accreditation, besides for NCAA? (Her students aren't athletes.)

Thanks,

yvonne

The NCAA has their own approval process for providers that is not tied to regional accreditation. For example, Memoria Press Online Academy has NCAA approval for its high school level classes but its accreditation is via a classical schools' association, not a regional body. Highlands Latin, their physical school, has the same accreditation and sends students to a good assortment of selective schools. OTOH, American School of Correspondence has a regional accreditation but is not NCAA approved. It's a bit of a crap shoot.

• Like 2

If I recall, these prices were a jump from the year before. I still thought they were fair and we've been happy and plan to continue. The refund policy helps.

But I am getting a little anxious to see this year's prices.

It was indeed a jump.  We went from four kids in their classes to one for this school year.  I'm anxious to see what they are this year as well.

• Like 1

This is  possibly a spinoff question, and will vary in part on the state and what happens with those laws, but I am wondering if the provision recently added which allows parents to use 529 money for private schools could be used for WHA assuming they qualify as a "private school"?  Does anyone know the citation for this new law so I could check the definition.

ETA: It looks like it says, "expenses for tuition in connection with enrollment or attendance at an elementary or secondary public, private, or religious school." Looking for a definition.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

I am not sure if this point has been made or not, but I just read the following in WHA's terms and conditions regarding the Student Services Fee:

"Should a student withdraw from all classes before classes begin, it will be fully refundable."

• Like 1

yes the refunds policy seems to have changed and seems a bit contradictory

yes i do see the above in their terms & conditions. it seems that they are saying if you cancel prior to start of class, you'll get the $250 services fee refunded back - which start date is usually late aug/after labor day. but that does not mesh with the refund policy of the class fee itself - that has a cap date of either July 31 or Aug 15 to cancel without penalty.

there seems to be some contradictory info:

this seems to indicate you can cancel for 100% refund up until Aug 15 (that is different):

• Course cancellations within 2 weeks of registration and prior to August 15 of the current year will receive a 100% refund.

But then it says thus (what it's always says) essentially after July 31, begins the not-so-amenable refund policy. That seems to contradict the start date above (is it July 31 or Aug 15?)

• Withdrawal or cancellation requests (with no corresponding enrollment) received after July 31, but before September 30 will be subject to a $100 admin fee with 50% of the balance available as credit against a future enrollment for any member of the family.

(can you tell i've been caught on the wrong side of the refunds policy before  ^_^ )

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 3

but fwiw - i will enroll my rising 11th grader in his math course next year. just a $100 grandfathered-in student services fee. that's quite reasonable. but we will not opt for the extraneous 2nd course, as it's another AP and pricey at that. i also will not start my rising 7th grader in alg I on a whim, as that's too much money for a middle schooler! we'll go that alone.

and we may stick with jann in tx indefinitely for dd#2 (we'll see)

for dd#3 (the rising 7th grader) when he's in 8th - we may go the math sequence at wha my son has enjoyed (geom-ap calc) which would incur the one-time $250 fee - but even at a place like WTMA, it's $100 each year admin fee so if he were to take math there for 4 years, that would be $400 and technically the $250 student services is a bargain at that point.

so i've drunk the wha kool-aid, so to speak, but with a swift dose of reality that will influence my choices going forward. eyes wide open! :-)

• Like 2

If I had a child that was planning on playing in D1 or D2, I would not want my child taking a class with a provider that was approved by the NCAA (I don't know if WHA is pursing this as well or not). I would much rather my child be evaluated by the NCAA as a traditional homeschooler.

There have been cases over the years where the NCAA determined that an approved supplier was no longer approved. As a result, any classes a student took with that provider (even if the classes were taken during the time period when the provider was approved by the NCAA) were not accepted by the NCAA.

There were situations where students took years of classes with an approved NCAA provider, only to have none of those classes count because the provider lost its NCAA "seal of approval".

• Like 1

Just adding:

If I had a child that was planning on playing in D1 or D2, I would not want my child taking a class with a provider that was approved by the NCAA (I don't know if WHA is pursing this as well or not).

WHA says they are NCAA approved already, FWIW. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

WOW! WOW! I was already shocked by the price increase of classes and didn't realize there was a student services fee too!  :confused1:

My son (8th) is taking the Fundamentals of Expository Writing Class and learning a lot. I was going to enroll him in the Fundamentals of Academic Writing next year, but now that class has jumped to $720 and on top of that $150 for his student fee = $890!!!!! 

Just can't justify that cost now because we are on a budget & I know son will take AP's and some CC down the road... so need to be wise with the finances. This is just really disappointing because son enjoys FOEW & and his writing has improved (cost was $650) 

From the WHA website "This fee covers a number of services including House Systems activities, registration & placement assistance, records maintenance & basic college advising" I really don't need all that- My son was put in Augustine House Junior and he hasn't even had time to participate in anything. Also, son's not planning to get a degree thru WHA or need college advising. Wish there was an option to opt out of all this stuff that some folks don't need and lower this fee. 

Can anyone suggest other good (cheaper) online alternatives for writing courses? that will prepare him for AP Lang or AP Lit in 10th or 11th? 

Thank you! 

WOW! WOW! I was already shocked by the price increase of classes and didn't realize there was a student services fee too!  :confused1:

My son (8th) is taking the Fundamentals of Expository Writing Class and learning a lot. I was going to enroll him in the Fundamentals of Academic Writing next year, but now that class has jumped to $720 and on top of that $150 for his student fee = $890!!!!! 

Just can't justify that cost now because we are on a budget & I know son will take AP's and some CC down the road... so need to be wise with the finances. This is just really disappointing because son enjoys FOEW & and his writing has improved (cost was $650) 

From the WHA website "This fee covers a number of services including House Systems activities, registration & placement assistance, records maintenance & basic college advising" I really don't need all that- My son was put in Augustine House Junior and he hasn't even had time to participate in anything. Also, son's not planning to get a degree thru WHA or need college advising. Wish there was an option to opt out of all this stuff that some folks don't need and lower this fee. 

Can anyone suggest other good (cheaper) online alternatives for writing courses? that will prepare him for AP Lang or AP Lit in 10th or 11th? 

Thank you! 

When I brought this up with Mr. Etter, he encouraged me to contact someone within WHA (The technology guy. His name is escaping me at the moment.) and bring this issue up. I think they do realize there are some that take classes a la carte. Since you have taken classes before, I would email them and let them know that the student fee is going to cause you to look elsewhere.  

• Like 1

Thank you! 

Some of the rest of us definitely had the same thought. It is very likely that DD#1 will use another provider for Calc next year even though she adores her WHA Pre-Calc class this year.

FYI - I had a kid take FOAW (when it was named something else) and if your kid already knows how to write, I'm not sure it is worth $720 (not even including the extra fee)! Mine couldn't write well and that class was just what she needed, but my next two can already write better than dd#1 could when she went into FOAW (though not better than she can now).

The more people who post reviews of writing classes on the Online Master Class thread, the better it is for those of us looking for good classes! You might find some ideas on there.

• Like 1

If the time for Stats works in her schedule, that makes it more likely she'll take Stats at the college vs. WHA. I'm not going to make the AP Calc decision based on cost alone, but it sure does put a nail in that coffin. .

For people with students applying to colleges that accept CLEP scores, Dd found Thinkwell's Econ courses to be excellent prep for the CLEP exams and she scored very high on both. (She did the same with cal, but she is a very strong math student, so that might be more of the egg/chicken scenario.)

ETA:Thinkwell cost $65 during a group buy. ;)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 4

Hmm... I had wanted my son to take their Physics 2 course but that is a lot of fees.

He has taken the Novare sequence which puts him out of step with the average algebra based physics based on Hewitt's book. He had planned to be done with Calc 1 at the college this semester but it didn't work out so now he isn't ready for Calc based at the college and he really has a basic Physics understanding and has already read most of Hewitt's book which means a lot of high school physics classes would be review for him. If he takes the lower level survey class (that is offered at our local uni.)  to prep for Engineering Physics it won't have a lab. Argh. 

I guess their is PA Homeschoolers AP classes too. And the Physics 2 teacher is only on her second year of teaching. What to do..what to do.

Edited by frogger

Hmm... I had wanted my son to take their Physics 2 course but that is a lot of fees.

He has taken the Novare sequence which puts him out of step with the average algebra based physics based on Hewitt's book. He had planned to be done with Calc 1 at the college this semester but it didn't work out so now he isn't ready for Calc based at the college and he really has a basic Physics understanding and has already read most of Hewitt's book which means a lot of high school physics classes would be review for him. If he takes the lower level survey class (that is offered at our local uni.)  to prep for Engineering Physics it won't have a lab. Argh. 

I guess their is PA Homeschoolers AP classes too. And the Physics 2 teacher is only on her second year of teaching. What to do..what to do.

Have you looked at GPB's physics materials?  The course is broken down into 2 semesters: 1 of mechanics and 1 of E&M.  I have been doing this course with my current 10th grader and I have found it has very clear teaching. Here is a link to the equivalent of Physics 2: http://www.gpb.org/physics-fundamentals/episodes/physics/semester2

• Like 3

Have you looked at GPB's physics materials? The course is broken down into 2 semesters: 1 of mechanics and 1 of E&M. I have been doing this course with my current 10th grader and I have found it has very clear teaching. Here is a link to the equivalent of Physics 2: http://www.gpb.org/physics-fundamentals/episodes/physics/semester2

I will definitly check it out.

Thanks.

please look at

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540313-homeschool-high-school-physics/?do=findComment&comment=6153674

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540313-homeschool-high-school-physics/?do=findComment&comment=6153675

to see if others may meet your need since WHA and PAH are nearer the high end cost wise.

Did your student complete WHA Honors Physics 1?

http://www.wilsonhillacademy.com/academics/physics/

AP Physics 1 & 2 are where most B&M schools are headed.

Are you looking for the E&M component?

Mark