Menu

The Potter's School - likes & dislikes?

All the feedback on TPS seems to be from years ago or only about their high school English classes? It doesn't seem like there's much discussion about this provider on the forums. I'm curious about the quality of courses, any specific teachers who were great, the level work load of specific classes, are the grade level accurate, what the platform is like, and what the interaction in the classes are like.

I have two students taking courses at The Potter's School this year and we are definitely planning to take courses for 2018-19.

My senior is taking Creative Writing with Ms. Gaines. Great experience!

My freshman is taking Intro to Computer Programming with Mr. Gray. Great experience!

The Potter's School meets a huge need for me in the area of Advanced Technology/Computer Programming classes.

The have rigorous high school classes with proven statistics in the AP courses.

They also have a diploma program.

Their prices are reasonable.

The platform has been fine. This year was our year to try online classes and I have experienced several different formats from CANVAS to The Potter's School GP6 to PA Homeschoolers own personal platform. They all have their own benefits. 

The Creative Writing class has a lot more interaction than the Programming class. In Creative Writing, my son often is split into study rooms with groups of students- they are able to read their work out loud. They utilize the microphones on their headsets in a controlled/organized way.

The two I have in these two classes are strong students- so I don't have much to say about the work load. They both love their particular classes so they are very motivated.

I hope this helps!

Rebecca

• Like 2

My daughter took French 1A I think it was called? It's where they split up their introductory French class into two years. She only took the first half. Now she's in public school and she's taken French 1, and she knew almost everything, and now she's in French 2, and they are still covering stuff she knows and won't get to stuff she doesn't know till over halfway through the class. I would say that TPS classes are very high quality and demanding. Careful about taking too many at once or your student might be overwhelmed. Their study skills class was useless busy work. Help your student stay on top of the work load. The teachers I've been in contact with seem nice and caring and willing to do whatever is needed to help the student succeed. But avoid disagreements with the people running the school. I've heard they have handled disagreements with parents very unprofessionally.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

This may be too late to be helpful, but we have 5 of our kiddos currently enrolled at TPS and have been there for 3 years.  We love the science courses (Mrs. Selby) and the math (Mrs. Crosby).  Both of these teachers are phenomenal.  Very high academic standards, fast and on-point feedback, engaging classroom manner.  Elementary science is the highlight of the week for my younger ones and Honors Chemistry is growing my DS is ways I never expected.